Start by marking “The Young Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #20)” as Want to Read:
The Young Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #20)

The Young Black Stallion (Blitz #13)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,687 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In this prequel to The Black Stallion, we learn the story of the Black before he was shipwrecked with Alec Ramsay. Born in the mountain stronghold of Sheikh Abu Ishak, the colt shows great promise. During a band of robbers’ attempt to steal him, the colt escapes and learns to survive on his own in the high mountains. Will he ever find his way home?

From the Trade Paperback
Published September 28th 2011 by Yearling (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Young Black Stallion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Young Black Stallion

Yasmine
I was introduced to the world of Walter Farley's 'Black Stallion' novels through the movie adaptation of the 'Young Black Stallion.' I adored the movie then. But then I did not know anything about Walter Farley, or Alec or Henry or Abu Ja' Kub ben Ishak.
And then I heard about the first 'Black Stallion' movie, directed by Carroll Ballard in 1979. I read about it, searched about it. Then I came across the novels and discovered that the sweet 'Young Black Stallion' film was actually based on a boo
Wendy
Sal Niner
(view spoiler) ...more
Rena Sherwood
This was Walter Farley's swan song to the Black Stallion series. His son Steven helped him write it. The events consist of a flashback Alec has right after the cataclysmic events of The Black Stallion Legend. It's at turns poetic and then downright bizarre. A two year old colt being called a stallion? Hmmm. Also, I liked the fact that The Black looked as if he killed someone right before he was forced onto the Drake. It made him a real bad-ass. Here this scene is rewritten to be more PC. Oh, com ...more
Gale
“Daring Plot to Kidnap the Black”

The father-son authors have produced an excellent story, recreating the youth of the Black until the time when Alex Ramsay witnesses him being loaded--with savage fury and hatred for all men—on board The Drake in a Middle Eastern port. The Prologue and Epilogue are set in the Arizona desert where Alec, now a young man, spends the night with his beloved stallion, grazing nearby. Contemplating the starry nocturnal sky Alec locates the Horsehead Nebula and seriousl
Christopher Smith

Better written than many of the later Black Stallion books, I enjoyed the backstory of Shetan, which leads right up to the loading of the great horse onto The Drake for the fateful voyage across the ocean.
Jackie Foresyth
Loved this as a child, I read all Walter Farleys books over a summer,
Marina
I give this book 3.5 stars. I could not keep my attention on the story probably because this series is for much younger readers then me. Very vivid imagery which makes the stallion come alive.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler
Note to Self: Arizona
Shetan(Aka the Black,black Arabian stallion),Alec Ramsey(), Henry(),Abu Ja'Kub ben Ishak(sheik), Rashid(young Bedouin),
Sharon
Part of my fourth-grade horse phase - I plowed through every horse book in the University Park library. I don't actually remember all of them that clearly, but I know they were some of my favorites.
Schwartzelsa2
It's a fun book. It's fun to read about horses. The black stallion was a very mean horse, but Alec seemed to gentle him. Now he wants to enter the Black Stallion into a race.
E.
I only like the vivid details & descriptions he gave about the characters reactions.

Not highly recommended, sort of bored me & finished it by force.
I own this exact copy. I did get confused with this book. But overall, i Loved this book. This is a must read.
Hannah
Great chick book for 10-13 year olds. =] As an animal lover, I couldn't get enough of the Black Stallion series.
Jessica Timmons
I'am impressed with the writing of Walter Farley son Steven. I will be reading more of his books as well.
Heidi
This book was a very good book. It helped me understand more about the history of the Black.
Christie
Oct 04, 2007 Christie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, young and old
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
This series is a great read, with just enough suspense to keep you turning the pages.
Kayla
kinda confusing because this was the first book I read from the series!
Jutta
i have to agree with the other reviews of this one. not so good.
Victoria
This is about a young stallion with a strong spirit and bold heart.
Jessica
May 23, 2011 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
One of my favorites in the series.
Brenda
Aug 21, 2007 Eleisha Luck rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Loved it
Brigette
Brigette marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Nicole House
Nicole House marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
  • The Black Stallion's Steeplechaser (Black Stallion Retuns, #2)
  • San Domingo: The Medicine Hat Stallion
  • Kentucky Dreamer (Golden Filly, #4)
  • Cindy's Runaway Colt (Thoroughbred, #13)
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
  • The Blind Colt
Steven Farley is the son of Walter Farley, the man who created the Black Stallion and wrote twenty stories about the best-loved literary horse of all time. A freelance writer based in Manhattan, Steven travels frequently, especially to places where he can enjoy riding, diving, and surfing.
More about Steven Farley...

Blitz (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Courage (The Black Stallion, #12)
  • The Black Stallion Mystery (The Black Stallion, #13)
  • The Black Stallion and Flame (The Black Stallion, #15)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)
  • The Black Stallion Challenged (The Black Stallion, #16)
The Black Stallion's Shadow (Black Stallion Returns, #1) The Black Stallion's Steeplechaser (Black Stallion Retuns, #2) The Black Stallion and the Shape-Shifter (Black Stallion Retuns, #3) The Black Stallion and the Lost City (Black Stallion Returns, #4) The Yearling (Young Black Stallion, #5)