Start by marking “Who Invited the Dead Man? (Thoroughly Southern, #3)” as Want to Read:
Who Invited the Dead Man? (Thoroughly Southern, #3)

Who Invited the Dead Man? (Thoroughly Southern #3)

The first title in this new mystery series introduces sixtysomething Southerner MacLaren Yarbrough, the new magistrate of Hope County, Georgia, who's appointed to replace her injured husband, Joe Riddley. When a local man is found murdered at Joe's birthday gala, MacLaren tries to sweet-talk clues out of affluent matriarchs, shady drifters, and even a disgruntled parrot. ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Who Invited the Dead Man?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Invited the Dead Man?

Sarah Reynolds

4 sta
Pamela
Apr 15, 2015 Pamela rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery, georgia
"In the South 'peculiar' can mean anything from a tad eccentric to downright dangerous, and generally we tolerate peculiar folks unless they do bodily harm."

Quick - Quaint - Quirky. Bonus perk: expletive-free. All good qualities for a cozy southern whodunit. Sadly, though, it lacked considerable integrity in plot and action; not to mention, compromised crime scenes and law enforcement procedures cast a huge shadow of disbelief.

An okay beach read, perhaps. But a bit of a let down after enjoying
Amy
First I have read of this author, who apparently has a series of cosy mysteries set in a small Georgia town. Not bad. There is some very insightful depiction of how folks move into their twilight elder years.

From the Publisher
Whether handling customer calls at the Yarbrough's Seed, Feed, and Nursery or close calls while solving crimes, sixty-something Southerner MacLaren Yarbrough knows how to charm her way through anything.

When a local man is found murdered at her husband's birthday gala, Mac
Maddy
Jul 05, 2009 Maddy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
PROTAGONIST: Judge MacLaren Yarbrough
SETTING: Georgia
SERIES: 3 of 10
RATING: 3.0
WHY: Not my normal fare at all, as I am a reader of hardboiled/noir. This was lighter without a lot of the silliness that I associate with an amateur sleuth kind of book. I really liked how the author portrayed the strain of living with a person with a head injury, didn't color it pretty at all. Overall, the book was predictable and average.
Margie Morris
Oct 26, 2007 Margie Morris rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: every one
A very good book,well written,keeps your interest from the beginning to the end,has lots of humor and at the same time a good story line. It brings the small town southern culture right into your living room.
Kimberly
May 27, 2008 Kimberly rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book too much. The author's style is the same. I mean with this and her other books it always goes along a format, someone gets murdered and the main character solves it. It is SO boring
Jennifer Adams
Sep 03, 2011 Jennifer Adams rated it liked it
Just finished this easy-to-read mystery. I'll definitely pick up another by this author. I like books set in the south, and the extra problems with her recovering husband were unexpected, but made it seem real.
Cindy
Nov 27, 2007 Cindy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cozy mystery lovers
Shelves: mysteries, series
I really enjoyed this series. My only complaint is that I can figure out whodunnit in almost all the books. But that's secondary to the enjoyment I get out of reading the books. This one I spotted as soon as the murderer appeared in the book, but there are always lots of other twists in there.
Kimberly Ann
Feb 15, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the characters, I liked the story (even though I could figure out who dun it), and l actually liked the flow of the protagonist's narrative.

Babs
Feb 06, 2015 Babs rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd book in the series and love how MacLaren solves the the murder at her husbands birthday gala.
Brenda
Mar 31, 2016 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No as good as some of the others. I thought at times the author was demeaning to people in the South. The simplicity of it made it boring and hard to read.
Nynana2
Sep 07, 2016 Nynana2 rated it it was amazing
This is another series that has unusual twists and likeable characters. This is one of the early titles in the 'Thoroughly Southern Series'. Many in the series are available for download.
Felicia
Jun 25, 2008 Felicia rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
"I heard her laugh aloud as I approached them - a sound as seldom heard in Hopemore as a discouraging word back home on the range."
Aj
Aj rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2011
Joyce Sweeney
Joyce Sweeney rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2008
Danielle Love
Danielle Love rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2012
mrs e gray
mrs e gray rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
Ann Marie
Ann Marie rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Trish
Trish rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Zanne Baker
Zanne Baker rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2015
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Lori Z
Lori Z rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Darcy
Darcy rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2012
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2012
Nancy Lark
Nancy Lark rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1)
  • Bye Bye Bertie (Ivy Towers, #2)
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • Flamingo Fatale (Trailer Park Mystery #1)
  • The Sudoku Murder (Katie McDonald, #1)
  • Killer Stuff (Jane Wheel, #1)
  • Double Black (A Ski Diva Mystery, #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Southern Fried
  • The Dog Park Club
  • Blessed Is The Busybody (Ministry Is Murder Mystery,#1)
  • Crime Brûlée (A Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • Murder in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #1)
  • For Better, for Murder
  • Angel at Troublesome Creek (Augusta Goodnight #1)
  • Elvis and the Dearly Departed (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #1)
  • Effigies (Faye Longchamp, #3)
  • Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters, #2)
Aka Patricia Houck Sprinkle.

When I met and married Bob, he looked over our budget and demanded, "Why don’t you write a mystery to pay for all the ones you buy?" I immediately knew I wanted to put a body in a building where I’d once worked. However, being over-endowed with the Protestant ethic, I wrote "important" things first and only wrote the mystery in my spare time, so my first mystery, Murder
More about Patricia Sprinkle...

Thoroughly Southern (10 books)
  • When Did We Lose Harriet? (Thoroughly Southern, #1)
  • But Why Shoot the Magistrate? (Thoroughly Southern, #2)
  • Who Left That Body in the Rain? (Thoroughly Southern, #4)
  • Who Let That Killer in the House? (Thoroughly Southern, #5)
  • When Will the Dead Lady Sing? (Thoroughly Southern, #6)
  • Who Killed the Queen of Clubs? (Thoroughly Southern, #7)
  • Did You Declare the Corpse? (Thoroughly Southern, #8)
  • Guess Who's Coming to Die? (Thoroughly Southern, #9)
  • What Are You Wearing to Die? (Thoroughly Southern, #10)