Start by marking “Golden Earrings” as Want to Read:

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  1,017 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
A powerful saga of family, love, honour and betrayal

You who judge me: come! Let me tell you a story …

Paloma Batton is the granddaughter of Spanish refugees who fled Barcelona after the Civil War. A disciplined student with the School of the Paris Opera Ballet, Paloma lets little get in the way of her career until she receives a visit from an otherworldly being who leaves h
Published October 1st 2011 by Harper Collins Pub (Australia) Pty Ltd (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Golden Earrings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golden Earrings

Kiwileese
Jul 18, 2013 Kiwileese rated it it was amazing
I listened to this wonderful book as an audio book, i cannot recommend this story enough. One of the best stories ive read in a long time

Beautifully read by Caroline Lee who is a gifted actor and narrator who has worked extensively in theatre, film, and television as well as having narrated many audiobooks.
Christine Darcas
Jan 28, 2012 Christine Darcas rated it it was amazing
This is a masterfully crafted, rich feast of a read. Knowing too well the amount of time, effort and hope that goes into writing a novel, I won’t review a book unless I have only good things to say about it … and I have lots of terrific things to say about this one.
Alexandra creates a passionate, deeply interwoven story about a girl, Celestina, born in Barcelona’s early 20th century ghettos, who survives to become a world class Flamenco dancer. Through Spain’s turbulent civil unrest, she becomes
Beáta
Aug 10, 2015 Beáta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: liked
Izgalmas családregény, amely bemutatja a 20. század eleji spanyol történelmet. A regény egy része Spanyolországban játszódik a múltban, a másik része 1975 körül Párizsban.
Tiff
I chose to read this as I had many years ago read (and loved) Wild Lavender. I also adore armchair travelling with novels set abroad. Golden Earrings is set in Spain and France so that was another tick in the box before I'd read the first page.

Golden Earrings is an epic tale of family, love and betrayal. Paloma is a ballet dancer living in Paris. An encounter with a ghost leaves her with a pair of earrings and a craving to learn of her Spanish heritage. We follow Paloma on her quest to find the
Hannah
Feb 15, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, fiction
I love the mystery of Belinda Alexandra novels. She sweeps you along on someone else's journey and just as you think you have it figured out, she throws you some new clue. I read these novels ferociously trying to get to the end and see what really happens.

What else I love is how the stories and the characters feel both so extraordinary and real at the same time. How does she do it? I think part of it is the history - it is much easier to believe in a story when the circumstances surrounding it
Faye Barron
Jul 10, 2013 Faye Barron rated it it was amazing
A historical setting brings different times and places ALIVE! In this case, the plot moves between the 1970s Paris back to the Spanish Civil War earlier in the century. The characters are all involved in an intriguing, and colourful family saga with an abundance love, hate and betrayal. We feel these emotions with them - in settings of wealth, deprivation, success and demoralisation.
This is the first Belinda Alexander book that I have read - and feel very anxious to read the other four.
Betty
Oct 03, 2013 Betty rated it it was amazing
An out standing audio book brilliantly read! Alexandra is a fairly new Australian author and this was the first of her books that I have read. I will be hunting out other books by her because I enjoyed this book so much. It was a very powerful family saga with deep love and cruel betrayal set in two time periods. It has given me a better understanding of the Spanish Civil War and its affect on the Spanish people. I have also been enlighten about the passion and dedication a dancer of ballet and ...more
Kim
Apr 29, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, net-galley, 2015, n
I love books that educate you on certain historical eras and introduce you to the sights and sounds of different countries from the comfort of your own armchair. It is a saga that flows from time to time and includes love, family and angst! We are introduced to Spain after the Civil War and 1970’s Paris. The visual imagery is simply stunning – you are totally drawn into the atmosphere and time. Drawing you into the world of flamenco dancing at times. Wonderfully drawn characters- a really well c ...more
Joanna
Oct 01, 2011 Joanna rated it liked it
The potential was there for me to really enjoy this book, but one thing kept stopping me. Look, Miss Alexandra, I do realise this book was set in Barcalona and Paris. But I find the random insertion of foreign words in an English novel to be really pretentious. Maybe now and then, in dialogue perhaps, but not every page or two.

It detracted from what was actually very good writing. It meant that for me, the Story couldn't just flow, because I was getting annoyed every other page.

I would give th
Jess
Jun 06, 2012 Jess rated it it was amazing
I love love LOVED this book!
Belinda Alexandra is one of my all time favourite authors and she has yet again demonstrated why.

The storyline was full of adventure and twists worthy of any dancer, and while it was definitely not predictable, it was easy to follow. I would think I had figured it all out and then a new detail would be expertly woven in and I had to guess again.

The characters were colourful and their stories were told by switching seamlessly from one pint of view to another, one era
Jacquie Tomlins
Mar 31, 2012 Jacquie Tomlins rated it it was amazing
Absolutely awesome book... Again Belinda Alexandra takes us to another world and we are left feeling like we were in another time & place. I feel like I knew these people. When Paloma dance the flamenco I was tapping my feet. If you haven't read any of Belinda's books this is another good reason to start.
Ruth
Apr 04, 2014 Ruth rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
c2011: FWFTB: Spain, Castro, flamenco, ballet, ghost. A rather pedestrian effort showing no particular panache or new take on an old favourite. I could tell what was going to happen or rather how things were going to turn out within the first couple of chapters which made completing the book very difficult. Recommended to those of the normal crew that have not read too many 'family sagas'.
Belinda
Oct 01, 2011 Belinda rated it really liked it
Would give 4.5 if I could. Really enjoyed this. It took me a little bit to get into but this always seems to be the case for me for books with historical settings, especially when I am not very familiar with the context (in this case during the Spanish Revolution). Once it grabbed me, it grabbed me, as her books always do.
Melissa
Mar 22, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
One of the most inspirational, descriptive, emotional and interesting books I've EVER read. It is now my favourite! :)
And will be dressing up as La Rusa tomorrow night for our colleges' themed dinner :D
Joanna
It took me a while to finish this book ...but what an awesome story that was !Oh my ...excellent and beautiful .Love ...hate...rich..poor...history...ghosts...it has it all... and multi generation secrets...Read it !
Marie Zaharaki
May 28, 2015 Marie Zaharaki rated it it was amazing
An amazingly engaging book from start to finish. It twists between the different narratives with a dancer's elegance and precision.
Mary
Aug 25, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Another great one from Belinda Alexandra. I love that I can actually learn things about historical events through her fiction.
Kristin Hedstrom
Jan 31, 2017 Kristin Hedstrom rated it it was amazing
Every book Belinda Alexandra writes is a masterpiece, this book is no exception. The novel is told in alternating points of view from three womem: Paloma, Evelina and Celestina who's fates intertwine. Twists and turns keep the reader guessing as the Spanish Civil War rages bringing love, tragedy and mystery. While this book had a satisfying end, I was truly sorry the story was over!
M.M. Ballasch
Mar 16, 2017 M.M. Ballasch rated it really liked it
Un drama en medio de la guerra muy bien llevado. Belinda Alexandra tiene un estilo sencillo y claro con el que crea personajes que se sienten humanos y derivan en historias que resuenan emocionalmente.
Angeles
Mar 23, 2017 Angeles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leido
Muy lindo libro!. Poca investigación historica!!!
jaweasley
Nov 10, 2016 jaweasley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3'5, concretamente.
Es una historia que tiene elementos muy interesantes y que no dejará indiferente a nadie.
Polly
Oct 02, 2016 Polly rated it it was amazing
A fabulous story - sweeps you along with it and you never know what is coming next.
Tara Chevrestt
This is a novel with a moral, that reminds us to always get the full story before judging others.

It took me a long time to read this, as I had to juggle it with review-required books, but it's a book that one needs to savor bit by bit anyway.

It goes from Paloma in 1970s France--a ballet dancer estranged from her father, living with her Spanish grandmother who is full of secrets--to Evelina in a turbulent Spain--a wealthy pampered girl I never came to like--to La Rusa, a flamenco dancer accused o
Ev
Sep 04, 2015 Ev rated it really liked it
Golden Earrings

This is the first Belinda Alexandra book I have read. It sounded like the family saga book I enjoy. When I received it, and read a little more about it and saw the lead character sees a ghost, I wasn’t so sure. But guess what? I loved it! The book is about Paloma, a ballerina, who has been concerned about not making it into a spot at the Paris Opera Ballet. As a very talented student she lets nothing get in the way of her career. That is until she receives a pair of golden earring
Kelly-Louise
Jun 03, 2016 Kelly-Louise rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Interesting story which alternates between mid-1970s Paris and Barcelona in the years leading up to and during the Spanish Civil War of 1936-1939. Paloma is an 18 year old ballet dancer living in Paris in the mid-1970s. The dictator General Francisco Franco dies in late 1975, and Paloma's Spanish grandmother finally feels comfortable opening up to her and telling her story. Also, the ghost of a beautiful woman appears to her and gives her these golden hoop earrings, which, along with her grandmo ...more
Ashley Lauren
Jun 18, 2014 Ashley Lauren rated it it was amazing
Oh, this book.

Do you ever read a historical fiction and think, "This must have happened." It was so expertly woven, the truth and tales of the times intermingled with the fiction so beautifully I thought it had to be true. The richness of the story, though certainly not all uplifting, felt like something that just had to have happened. Of course, I realize that's not the case, but I don't think I'll be able to ever think about the Spanish Civil War without imagining La Rusa's impact.

I adored thi
Bettina
Feb 12, 2017 Bettina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading one of Belinda's books is like a history lesson in itself. It makes us learn to appreciate what we have and how fortunate we are today.

Belinda's books always make me feel like crying...they are so heart wrenching but yet so addictive as well. You can tell that a lot of research goes into writing one of her books.

I loved the Flamenco storyline...it makes me want to visit Spain one day.

The love stories between Celestina and Xavier and Evelina and Gaspar were so unique. It makes me feel
Annemarie Macken
Jul 13, 2015 Annemarie Macken rated it it was amazing
A captivating and mesmerising story, which spans many decades and follows the lives of several members of the Montella family and a great many people who touch their lives in good and bad ways. The descriptions are detailed and atmospheric and the reader cannot fail to be hooked right from the start by a hauntingly beautiful, but inevitably sad and somewhat heartbreaking tale of lost loves, misunderstandings and betrayal, wrapped up in and wholly controlled by the misfortunes of the Spanish Civi ...more
Kaye Kelly
Mar 19, 2013 Kaye Kelly rated it it was amazing

A gifted ballet dancer, Paloma Batton is humiliated at not being chosen for the Paris Opera Ballet. Given another chance to audition she’s not confident of passing as she realises her failure to win a place the first time was due to a personal grievance of Arielle Marineau, a member of the selection panel, and nothing to do with her dancing ability.

Her grandmother has always been reticent about her past, something that hasn’t bothered Paloma until she sees a ghost. That, combined with Arielle Ma
Mirella
Sep 09, 2015 Mirella rated it it was amazing
A stunning cover introduces an equally stunning story! This time, Belinda Alexander sweeps readers into the tumultuous period of the 1970's Civil War in Spain. Through the eyes of a compelling protaganist named Paloma Batton, we are introduced to Spain's gypsies and the art of Flamenco dancing. Along with Paloma, the story involves her grandmother, who has plenty of secrets in her past. As Paloma sets out to unravel the past, she also learns about the deceit and tragic circumstances that colored ...more
  • Duet
  • Behind the Sun (Convict Girls #1)
  • The Girl from Junchow (The Russian Concubine, #2)
  • The Convent
  • Love Is In The Hallways (Love, #2)
  • Dark Waters (Cragg & Fidelis Mystery #2)
  • The Bark Cutters (Gordon, #1)
  • The Case of the Good-Looking Corpse (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #2)
  • The Apothecary's Daughter
  • Walk in My Shoes
  • Portrait of a Scandal
  • The Way Between the Worlds (Aelf Fen  #4)
  • Gwendolen
  • Nine Rabbits
  • The Art of Making Dances
  • Moth To The Flame
  • The Medici Boy
  • The Pianist in the Dark
Belinda Alexandra has been published to wide acclaim in Australia and internationally. She is the daughter of a Russian mother and an Australian father and has been an intrepid traveller since her youth. Her love of other cultures is matched by her passion for her home country, Australia, where she is a volunteer carer for the NSW Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service (WIRES).
Belinda
More about Belinda Alexandra...