Start by marking “The Heart of the Story: Tracing God's Big Idea through Every Story in the Bible” as Want to Read:
The Heart of the Story: Tracing God's Big Idea through Every Story in the Bible

The Heart of the Story: Tracing God's Big Idea through Every Story in the Bible

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The Heart of the Story will help you see God's Word in a new and inspiring light. In the Bible's seemingly disconnected stories you'll discover one grand, unfolding epic---God's story from Genesis onward, and your own story contained within it.

To understand the Bible, says author and pastor Randy Frazee, you need bifocal lenses, because two perspectives are involved. The L...more
Published August 16th 2011 by Zondervan (first published May 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of the Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of the Story

David
Aug 18, 2013 David rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sorry, no one
Recommended to David by: My minister
Shelves: abandoned
This was recommended by our minister, and I liked the concept. HOWEVER, on page 17 the word "enormity" was used incorrectly -- in place of "immensity" -- but I was willing to overlook that . . . wouldn't be the first time it was used incorrectly. But on page 26 there was such an egregious error that I was unable to continue reading. Here's the paragraph containing the offending error:

"Think about this for a moment. If our solar system was reduced [note: I'm willing to overlook the incorrect use...more
Steven Jacke
I read this as part of a Sunday school class.

This is a retelling of the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation. Frazee uses each story tip highlight what he calls God's "lower story," what happened in the individual story, and God's "upper story," the ultimate plan of God restoring humanity.

I recommend this book to Christians who are not that familiar with the Bible. Maybe you know Sunday school stories, maybe you don't. But if you've tried Redding the Bible and not succeeded because it's too long, o...more
Byron Fike
I read this book as our church did a study of "The Story." We were also using Randy's dvd's in our Sunday School and other "Story" materials. This book was advertised as a companion to The Story especially for preachers who were preaching lessons to go with each chapter of the Story. I found much repetition in the materials and thus did not gain a great deal of useful information. However, I did benefit from a few stories and illustrations that were unique to the book.
Esme Lorraine
Surprise, is all I can say. I really did not think this book would grab me like it did. It went through the bible and picked out the major, life changing stories and put them in narrative terms... and then... THEN... it explained how the story relates to your life. A definite read for people that want to live a Christian life. Loved it!
Anna
This was a very interesting read. Randy Frazee takes 31 books of the Bible and pieces them together into a story. He discusses the Lower Story and the Upper Story and how everything worked together from the Old Testament to the New Testament. I am looking forward to reading the Story by Randy Frazee and Max Lucado.
Michael
Randy Frazee does a wonderful job of capturing the essential details of the major stories of the Bible. He summarizes in a few paragraphs the core message and moves you along to the next connecting story. You will enjoy this "Heart of the Story" account of the message of the Bible
Leslie Fields
This book, in a nutshell,is a spinoff of "The Story," a narrativized version of the Bible. It represents three degrees of separation from the actual Scriptures. Readers wanting to understand the Bible can do better elsewhere.
Sam Lonberg
Really enjoyed it. Frazee writes like Lucado. Simple, elegant and joyful to read. Great overview of the over-arching story of the Bible. Good stuff.
Guna
This book hooks together all the stories in the Bible into one big story, and also how it aligns with our lives.
Roxanne
I loved having this resource as I prepared to lead our group discussions of "The Story" and DVD sessions each week.
Holly
I loved this book! And, what a perfect book for the Christmas season--to focus on what is truly important.
David Ryan
Very helpful companion book to "The Story"...which I highly recommend!
Crizzle
To read along with "The Story" version of the Bible, if desired.
Adam Conder
Adam Conder is currently reading it
Oct 15, 2014
Corley
Corley is currently reading it
Oct 15, 2014
Justine
Justine is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2014
Diane Bowman
Diane Bowman marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Allen Unger
Allen Unger is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Ami Burns
Ami Burns marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Katherine Newsom
Katherine Newsom marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Naomi Schroeder
Naomi Schroeder marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Making Room for Life: Trading Chaotic Lifestyles for Connected Relationships Connecting Church, The The Story Adult Curriculum: Getting to the Heart of God's Story The Story: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People The Connecting Church 2.0: Beyond Small Groups to Authentic Community