The Voodoo Wave: Inside a Season of Triumph and Tumult at Maverick's

The Voodoo Wave: Inside a Season of Triumph and Tumult at Maverick's

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  10 reviews

An intimate look at the surfers who challenge the fifty-foot waves of Maverick's—all in search of the perfect ride.

The Maverick's surf point near Half Moon Bay, California, has long been one of the most dangerous places in the world to catch a ride. It is also the site of the Super Bowl of big wave surfing: the Maverick's Surf Contest. In The Voodoo Wave, Mark Kreidler tak

Published September 6th 2011 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Voodoo Wave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Voodoo Wave

Steve Kreidler
I loved this book. Kreidler takes us deep into the characters who form the most interesting fraternity of independent surfers. While competitive these surfers are wholly committed to each other's success on each wave. Rare is the book that keeps the suspense of the outcome of the big event in perfect tension with the development of each character. I highly recommend.
Jane
provides a different view of big wave surfing that includes the behind the scenes drama that goes into staging contests. at times some exaggerated drama. still amazing what all these guys do & the mindset they share about living life & respecting maverick's as a wave.
Katie
A fascinating look at big-wave surfing. Kreidler does a great job giving the reader an understanding of the wave itself, the experience of surfing it and the surfers' personalities. It also examines the conflict between the commercialization of Maverick's and surfing for the love of the ocean. I felt this was done in a fairly well-balanced way, leaving it to the reader themselves to come to a conclusion. The only negative about this book is that it unfolds in an non-linear fashion, so keeping tr...more
Random
It was okay. Only three stars because this was my least favorite of the three books I've read on the subject of big wave surfing :) (the wave by Susan Casey being one and the ghost wave by Chris Dixon being the other). This book spends significant time following the commercialization of big wave surfing and the debate that causes in the sport. For a casual reader that wants a better wave description/adventure read, I would recommend the other two. That said, I dug this book. The author did a gre...more
Chris
While I've always admired the skill and dedication of surfers, I'm not exactly what you would call a fan of the sport. Having said this, I wanted to give this book a try as part of my ongoing quest to push myself out of my comfort zone. I do think that being a fan of surfing might have helped me feel more engaged or invested in the material, but as it stands, this book is a well-written, meticulously researched, and fairly compelling tale that will appeal to fans and non-fans alike.
Cymiki
why would someone who panics when toes don't touch the bottom of the swimming pool read about surfing? the notion of getting pounded under the waves when you fall off your board and puncturing an eardrum add to the drama of this book. finding that i am holding my breath while reading ~ plse call 911 if you don't see me tomorrow...... finished.....worth reading!
Icicle4
Interesting book. Background on the big wave that hit spectators at a contest at Maverick's.
Hardeep
I had no idea about the big-wave surfing circuit... Actually, had no idea about surfing per se, so this was interesting to read. Turned out to be a sort of a classic capitalism vs brotherhood/community etc kind of story. Not totally gnarly, a little rad ;-)

Just cannot fathom how people surf waves this large!
Lexi
Although at times it felt like there was more in here about weather patterns and behind the scenes politics than about actual surfers and surfing, this was still an interesting and enjoyable read.
Karen
Life at Maverick's. Need I say more?
Heidihark
Heidihark marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Mario
Mario marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Brooke
Brooke added it
Apr 15, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Psantin
Psantin marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A sports writer and columnist, Mark Kreidler currently contributes to both ESPN.com and ESPN: The Magazine. He is the author of Four Days to Glory, Six Good Innings, and The Voodoo Wave. He lives in Davis, California.
More about Mark Kreidler...
Four Days to Glory: Wrestling with the Soul of the American Heartland Six Good Innings: How One Small Town Became a Little League Giant Four Days to Glory: The Heart of America, Flat on Its Back Four Days to Glory Six Good Innings