Start by marking “The Voodoo Wave: Inside a Season of Triumph and Tumult at Maverick's” as Want to Read:
The Voodoo Wave: Inside a Season of Triumph and Tumult at Maverick's

The Voodoo Wave: Inside a Season of Triumph and Tumult at Maverick's

An intimate look at the surfers who challenge the fifty-foot waves of Maverick's—all in search of the perfect ride.

The Maverick's surf point near Half Moon Bay, California, has long been one of the most dangerous places in the world to catch a ride. It is also the site of the Super Bowl of big wave surfing: the Maverick's Surf Contest. In The Voodoo Wave, Mark Kreidler tak

Published September 6th 2011 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Voodoo Wave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Voodoo Wave

Jessica Fitting
Jun 28, 2015 Jessica Fitting rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up less than 5 minutes from Mavericks, the surf contest and surf culture was a part of my world, so I loved reading this deep dive that focused on the politics of the contest and the 2010 contest in particular. The writing was a little repetitive sometimes, but the heart of the book was really a touching tribute to the fearless athletes and WHY people love and feel connected to Mavericks the place. As a local, i felt a bit of pride for my hometown, and made me want to spend more time on ...more
Steve Kreidler
Sep 30, 2011 Steve Kreidler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Kreidler takes us deep into the characters who form the most interesting fraternity of independent surfers. While competitive these surfers are wholly committed to each other's success on each wave. Rare is the book that keeps the suspense of the outcome of the big event in perfect tension with the development of each character. I highly recommend.
Jane
Apr 08, 2012 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
provides a different view of big wave surfing that includes the behind the scenes drama that goes into staging contests. at times some exaggerated drama. still amazing what all these guys do & the mindset they share about living life & respecting maverick's as a wave.
Katie
Oct 28, 2012 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, non-fiction
A fascinating look at big-wave surfing. Kreidler does a great job giving the reader an understanding of the wave itself, the experience of surfing it and the surfers' personalities. It also examines the conflict between the commercialization of Maverick's and surfing for the love of the ocean. I felt this was done in a fairly well-balanced way, leaving it to the reader themselves to come to a conclusion. The only negative about this book is that it unfolds in an non-linear fashion, so keeping tr ...more
Random
Apr 26, 2012 Random rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. Only three stars because this was my least favorite of the three books I've read on the subject of big wave surfing :) (the wave by Susan Casey being one and the ghost wave by Chris Dixon being the other). This book spends significant time following the commercialization of big wave surfing and the debate that causes in the sport. For a casual reader that wants a better wave description/adventure read, I would recommend the other two. That said, I dug this book. The author did a gre ...more
Christopher
While I've always admired the skill and dedication of surfers, I'm not exactly what you would call a fan of the sport. Having said this, I wanted to give this book a try as part of my ongoing quest to push myself out of my comfort zone. I do think that being a fan of surfing might have helped me feel more engaged or invested in the material, but as it stands, this book is a well-written, meticulously researched, and fairly compelling tale that will appeal to fans and non-fans alike.
Hardeep
I had no idea about the big-wave surfing circuit... Actually, had no idea about surfing per se, so this was interesting to read. Turned out to be a sort of a classic capitalism vs brotherhood/community etc kind of story. Not totally gnarly, a little rad ;-)

Just cannot fathom how people surf waves this large!
Cymiki
Sep 23, 2011 Cymiki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
why would someone who panics when toes don't touch the bottom of the swimming pool read about surfing? the notion of getting pounded under the waves when you fall off your board and puncturing an eardrum add to the drama of this book. finding that i am holding my breath while reading ~ plse call 911 if you don't see me tomorrow...... finished.....worth reading!
Brian
intriguing look at the origins of the maverick surf contest at pillars point at half moon bay, california

well written and engaging by kreidler

could have used more discussion about rating of surfers

enjoyed the history of jeff clark and beir weidling and msv venture creation, legal battles
Lexi
Nov 18, 2013 Lexi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, non-fiction
Although at times it felt like there was more in here about weather patterns and behind the scenes politics than about actual surfers and surfing, this was still an interesting and enjoyable read.
Lance Burkhart
Lance Burkhart rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2013
MARCELO BORJA
MARCELO BORJA rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2016
Riley
Riley rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2015
Robyn
Robyn rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Dori Williams
Dori Williams rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Kay Janssen
Kay Janssen rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2013
Wendell Geis
Wendell Geis rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Aron
Aron rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2013
Eugene
Eugene rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Bruce Gary
Bruce Gary rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Ted
Ted rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Sabine Bennett
Sabine Bennett rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Steve Capelli
Steve Capelli rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Ben Tilton
Ben Tilton rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2014
Lisa Schmeiser
Lisa Schmeiser rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Andrea Boyles
Andrea Boyles rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2013
Patrick Briggs
Patrick Briggs rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Bill Peregoy
Bill Peregoy rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2011
Max Sculley
Max Sculley rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2014
A sports writer and columnist, Mark Kreidler currently contributes to both ESPN.com and ESPN: The Magazine. He is the author of Four Days to Glory, Six Good Innings, and The Voodoo Wave. He lives in Davis, California.
More about Mark Kreidler...