Wielder's Awakening

Wielder's Awakening (Wielder Trilogy #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  574 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A powerful wielder of magic is preparing to conquer a world whose people only remember magic in legends of the past. A king grappling with personal tragedy prepares his army to save his kingdom. A restless princess seeks love and adventure. In the middle of it all is Traven, a poor, ambitious peasant who dreams of being more than a simple woodcutter and unknowingly holds t...more
Published September 7th 2011

Tuomas Oravainen
I cannot comprehend how this book has almost 4 stars as rating. The writing looks like it's from the hand of a grade school student, characters are 2 dimensional at best, and the dialogue between characters is obtuse and contrived.

The IDEA of the plot is OK, but how it's constructed in writing is just appalling. The writing is SO rigid, tedious and naive that it took me some serious mental wrestling to get from about 10% read to the last page.

I truly cannot understand how this kind of wretch of...more
Rich
The story was good, but the writing was terrible. There were a ton of grammatical errors, and the author would repeat himself a lot. The story changed viewpoints between different characters only to describe the same scene again. Most of the time these extra viewpoints did not add anything to the story; there isn't anything wrong with letting the reader have to figure out what someone else is thinking. Reading the book made me wonder if the author proof read his own book. If he had an editor the...more
Juliettekudrick
OH. MY. GGGGGGOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSHHHHH!!!
It is a rare I do not finish a book. I put this sucker down half way. I think is it. This is the WORST book I have ever read. It is absalutley official. It has three really bad things about it.
1: The plot
2: The descriptions ( Unless body parts are being chopped off)
3: The characters.
I started this book because I like fantasy and after reading an exciting description I though "hmm. I will give this a try. What could go wrong?"
Note to Former self - A lot could...more
Nicole Gozdek
Ehrlich gesagt, am Anfang dachte ich nicht, dass ich das Buch mögen würde, beginnt "Wielder's Awakening" - auf Deutsch "Das Erwachen des Magiers" - doch eher gemächlich und nicht besonders spannend: Ein dunkler Magier bedroht die Welt mit seinem Machthunger, elimiert die wenige magische Konkurrenz und plant seinen Eroberungsfeldzug, während sich der ahnungslose junge Held am Ende der Welt sich eher unbedeutenden Angelegenheiten widmet und sich auf den Besuch der Handelsschule in der weit entfern...more
Sven
The Wielders Awakening was a book I picked up in the kindle store fairly randomly. Saw it was a dollar, thought description seemed mildly promising, and figured it was worth a shot. As is usually the case with such books, I went in with low expectations and modest hopes; and was pleasantly surprised as I read through it.

What I found was a highly enjoyable coming of age light fantasy story. Nothing about the tale reinvents the wheel as far as such stories go, nor does it really try to; and for me...more
Hollie
This book gets off to a long rough start. The authors immaturity as a writer is immediately apparent, and the "simplistic" exposition and dialogue made the story seem stilted and the characters shallow. Honestly, a third of the way through I considered abandoning it, but I've stuck it out with worse books, and for some reason just have a hard time giving up on a story once started. While this proclivity has lead to some literary suffering on my part in the past, as it turns out, I'm glad I stuck...more
Tianna
The author is talented at creating a story, but needs practice at storytelling. To be fair, he wrote this particular book as a teenager, so I'm interested to read the sequels to see how his writing matures.

The story itself is interesting, and I like how he created the world. It gets off to a slow start, but I don't mind that. The majority of the book is building characters. It's not until once in the middle and the ending that you see any real action/tension. There's one spot in the late middle...more
Rachel
My friend's husband wrote this book so I thought I would give it a try. I really enjoyed it. Sometimes adult fantasy books can be a bit dark, but this isn't at all. It was very detailed in parts, but it was still a real page turner filled with adventure.
VICTORIA O'DONNELL
Builder's Awakening

This was an engrossing story, held my interest throughout the book. I'm looking forward to the rest of this trilogy.
Syberwired
Let me start off by saying the basics of the story is the same as others in this genre for the most part. Boy is introduced; boy matures; boy becomes the world's hero. However, the author does a great job at the storytelling and the building of the characters. I enjoyed the descriptive storytelling that some seem to have found badly done. I was able to "get to know" the characters and their reasoning and have read the entire series and liked every one of them. I was saddened to find that the aut...more
Sasha
This was offered free on amazon and I really needed a book to read, so I said what the heck, I'll give it a try. I absolutely loved it! The main character is so cute and you love him right from the very beginning. This is truly a character you want to win and get everything he wants. I thought this book was written fairly well and was a great read! I immediately bought the next two books in the trilogy even though at the time they were kind of up there in price for ebooks.
David Daley
The actual story isn't bad, interesting & has potential.

The writing & editing are very much lacking. Each sentence looks to have been crafted by itself, there is no flow. This is for both description and dialogue, nothing flows and you have to force yourself to read it. There is also a frequent tendency to repeat information you just read in the next sentence, further breaking the flow and showing a sever lack of editing.
Morgan
The story is compelling and the character development helps to overcome the amateur writing issues. The author is clearly inexperienced as evidenced by the poor and repetitive word choices, grammar errors, and descriptive passages that feel like he's trying too hard. I found it worth reading and look forward to reading the other books in the trilogy.
Elise
This was a fun book to read, I enjoyed it. There were many twists that I did not expect, and I enjoyed the surprises. Many parts are real page-turners, forcing me to stay up late reading them. I would recommend it to any fantasy lovers.
Teresa Carrigan
Fantasy. Worth reading once, and odds are I'll buy the sequel when it is available, but not great. The plot is rather contrived in places and it could stand to have a good editor apply blue pencil liberally. ;)
Frank E.
Great fantasy/magic book. I'm pleased to have found another author whose writing style I really enjoy. I'm impatient to finish some of my other reading projects so I can continue reading this trilogy.
Shawn
I suspect there's a decent story here, but the writing feels amateurish: Too much telling, not enough showing. Grabbed the free sample for Kindle, but didn't finish.
Bear
Good story, poor grammar. The second book is better - it seems like he had someone proofread it. The first one was difficult to complete due to the bad grammar.
Stephen Lodewyks
A good start to the series, i thought the writing seemed that the author was new to this, but as the book and series progress you can see the growth in the author.
Justin
Good first book, a little slow to start but picks up very quickly. overall enjoyed the story plot and character development.
Jen
I thought the writing was unimpressive but the story kept me interested enough to finish. Good buy for .99 cents.
Chris Hernandez
Good story and somewhat original however, pacing leaves something to be desired. Very enjoyable though!
Kevin
Clean and enjoyable story. Excited to read the next book.
Chris
Enjoyed the story. Second time I have read.
Brandon
Loved the book
Can't wait for the next one
Barry
Same old same old and poorly written
Scott
See my review for the last book.
  • The Sorcerer's Ascension (The Sorcerer's Path, #1)
  • Thinblade (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #1)
  • Wizard Rising (The Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • Elseerian (The Chronicles of Lumineia: The Second Draeken War, #1)
  • Child of the Sword (The Gods Within, #1)
  • The Line of Illeniel (Mageborn, #2)
  • Knight of the Realm (The Young Ancients, #3)
  • The Dragonswarm (Dragonprince Trilogy, #2)
  • Harbinger (Fate's Forsaken, #1)
  • The Circle of Sorcerers (Mages of Bloodmyr, #1)
  • Eye of the Moonrat (The Bowl of Souls, #1)
  • The (sort of) Dark Mage (Waldo Rabbit, #1)
  • A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1)
  • The Sea of Storms (Lodestone, #1)
  • The Mission (Worlds Without End, #1)
  • Chosen (Guardians of the Word, #1)
Wielder's Rising (Wielder, #2) Wielder's Fate (Wielder, #3) Das Erwachen des Magiers Seven Days to Meltdown

“In life, you will hear many fantastical and astounding things, what is important is sorting out the fact from the fiction.” 0 likes