Start by marking “Wielder's Awakening (Wielder, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wielder's Awakening (Wielder, #1)

Wielder's Awakening (Wielder Trilogy #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,444 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A powerful wielder of magic is preparing to conquer a world whose people only remember magic in legends of the past. A king grappling with personal tragedy prepares his army to save his kingdom. A restless princess seeks love and adventure. In the middle of it all is Traven, a poor, ambitious peasant who dreams of being more than a simple woodcutter and unknowingly holds t ...more
Published September 7th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Wielder's Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wielder's Awakening

Tuomas Oravainen
Nov 30, 2012 Tuomas Oravainen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot comprehend how this book has almost 4 stars as rating. The writing looks like it's from the hand of a grade school student, characters are 2 dimensional at best, and the dialogue between characters is obtuse and contrived.

The IDEA of the plot is OK, but how it's constructed in writing is just appalling. The writing is SO rigid, tedious and naive that it took me some serious mental wrestling to get from about 10% read to the last page.

I truly cannot understand how this kind of wretch of
Rich
Apr 24, 2012 Rich rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story was good, but the writing was terrible. There were a ton of grammatical errors, and the author would repeat himself a lot. The story changed viewpoints between different characters only to describe the same scene again. Most of the time these extra viewpoints did not add anything to the story; there isn't anything wrong with letting the reader have to figure out what someone else is thinking. Reading the book made me wonder if the author proof read his own book. If he had an editor the ...more
Gigi
No. No No No No No NNNOOOOOOO!!!!!

This was the worst book I have ever read. I didn't even finish this monstrosity of a novel. I ended it at 40 percent, and for anyone who did finish this: I am so sorry.

I read the description on kindle, saw it was cheap and bought it because, hey, I'm always up for a short entertaining fantasy novel. I wanted to throw it up against the wall in the first chapter.

Here are some things missing or wrong with this (turdblossom) (cough) book.

1: Plot
2: Dialogue
3: Descrip
Juliettekudrick
Jun 19, 2014 Juliettekudrick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OH. MY. GGGGGGOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSHHHHH!!!
It is a rare I do not finish a book. I put this sucker down half way. I think is it. This is the WORST book I have ever read. It is absalutley official. It has three really bad things about it.
1: The plot
2: The descriptions ( Unless body parts are being chopped off)
3: The characters.
I started this book because I like fantasy and after reading an exciting description I though "hmm. I will give this a try. What could go wrong?"
Note to Former self - A lot could
Pickyreader
Feb 19, 2017 Pickyreader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, fantasy
For an independently published book. This was really good. I have read many indi books due to plot holes and rediculus dialogue, but this book held my attention till the end. I will certainly be continuing the tale.
Hollie
Jun 13, 2012 Hollie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gets off to a long rough start. The authors immaturity as a writer is immediately apparent, and the "simplistic" exposition and dialogue made the story seem stilted and the characters shallow. Honestly, a third of the way through I considered abandoning it, but I've stuck it out with worse books, and for some reason just have a hard time giving up on a story once started. While this proclivity has lead to some literary suffering on my part in the past, as it turns out, I'm glad I stuck ...more
Nicole Gozdek
Jun 09, 2014 Nicole Gozdek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ehrlich gesagt, am Anfang dachte ich nicht, dass ich das Buch mögen würde, beginnt "Wielder's Awakening" - auf Deutsch "Das Erwachen des Magiers" - doch eher gemächlich und nicht besonders spannend: Ein dunkler Magier bedroht die Welt mit seinem Machthunger, elimiert die wenige magische Konkurrenz und plant seinen Eroberungsfeldzug, während sich der ahnungslose junge Held am Ende der Welt sich eher unbedeutenden Angelegenheiten widmet und sich auf den Besuch der Handelsschule in der weit entfern ...more
Sven
Apr 23, 2013 Sven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Wielders Awakening was a book I picked up in the kindle store fairly randomly. Saw it was a dollar, thought description seemed mildly promising, and figured it was worth a shot. As is usually the case with such books, I went in with low expectations and modest hopes; and was pleasantly surprised as I read through it.

What I found was a highly enjoyable coming of age light fantasy story. Nothing about the tale reinvents the wheel as far as such stories go, nor does it really try to; and for me
Tianna
Jul 27, 2013 Tianna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
The author is talented at creating a story, but needs practice at storytelling. To be fair, he wrote this particular book as a teenager, so I'm interested to read the sequels to see how his writing matures.

The story itself is interesting, and I like how he created the world. It gets off to a slow start, but I don't mind that. The majority of the book is building characters. It's not until once in the middle and the ending that you see any real action/tension. There's one spot in the late middle
Syberwired
Apr 02, 2013 Syberwired rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start off by saying the basics of the story is the same as others in this genre for the most part. Boy is introduced; boy matures; boy becomes the world's hero. However, the author does a great job at the storytelling and the building of the characters. I enjoyed the descriptive storytelling that some seem to have found badly done. I was able to "get to know" the characters and their reasoning and have read the entire series and liked every one of them. I was saddened to find that the aut ...more
Sasha
May 29, 2013 Sasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was offered free on amazon and I really needed a book to read, so I said what the heck, I'll give it a try. I absolutely loved it! The main character is so cute and you love him right from the very beginning. This is truly a character you want to win and get everything he wants. I thought this book was written fairly well and was a great read! I immediately bought the next two books in the trilogy even though at the time they were kind of up there in price for ebooks.
David Daley
The actual story isn't bad, interesting & has potential.

The writing & editing are very much lacking. Each sentence looks to have been crafted by itself, there is no flow. This is for both description and dialogue, nothing flows and you have to force yourself to read it. There is also a frequent tendency to repeat information you just read in the next sentence, further breaking the flow and showing a sever lack of editing.
Morgan
Dec 18, 2012 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is compelling and the character development helps to overcome the amateur writing issues. The author is clearly inexperienced as evidenced by the poor and repetitive word choices, grammar errors, and descriptive passages that feel like he's trying too hard. I found it worth reading and look forward to reading the other books in the trilogy.
Frank E.
Feb 02, 2013 Frank E. rated it it was amazing
Great fantasy/magic book. I'm pleased to have found another author whose writing style I really enjoy. I'm impatient to finish some of my other reading projects so I can continue reading this trilogy.
Elise
Nov 28, 2011 Elise rated it it was amazing
This was a fun book to read, I enjoyed it. There were many twists that I did not expect, and I enjoyed the surprises. Many parts are real page-turners, forcing me to stay up late reading them. I would recommend it to any fantasy lovers.
Rachel
Jan 31, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend's husband wrote this book so I thought I would give it a try. I really enjoyed it. Sometimes adult fantasy books can be a bit dark, but this isn't at all. It was very detailed in parts, but it was still a real page turner filled with adventure.
Jackie Marino
Jan 28, 2015 Jackie Marino rated it really liked it
An Enjoyable Read

A little magic, a young man, a beautiful princess and a mighty warrior, all the ingredients for a fun few hours, There's not a lot of depth to this book, but still, I'm looking forward to the next one in the series.
VICTORIA O'DONNELL
Jun 19, 2014 VICTORIA O'DONNELL rated it really liked it
Builder's Awakening

This was an engrossing story, held my interest throughout the book. I'm looking forward to the rest of this trilogy.
Chris Hernandez
May 03, 2013 Chris Hernandez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story and somewhat original however, pacing leaves something to be desired. Very enjoyable though!
Justin
Mar 10, 2013 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good first book, a little slow to start but picks up very quickly. overall enjoyed the story plot and character development.
Kyle
Mar 12, 2015 Kyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!!! i was hooked by the characters, the storyline, all of it flowed in a Literary greatness.. will for sure being reading the other two and anything else this Author writes in the future
Lynnwood Yates
Feb 29, 2016 Lynnwood Yates rated it really liked it
Engrossing and fun

Very fun story with great characters. Masterful fantasy with surprises at every turn. Worth the time to read. Hero's and villains aplenty
Stephen Lodewyks
Feb 17, 2013 Stephen Lodewyks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good start to the series, i thought the writing seemed that the author was new to this, but as the book and series progress you can see the growth in the author.
Jim Pike
Dec 14, 2015 Jim Pike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story line. Interesting characters, and events. Very well descriptive. Really enjoyed reading this.
Bear
Apr 02, 2012 Bear rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, poor grammar. The second book is better - it seems like he had someone proofread it. The first one was difficult to complete due to the bad grammar.
Dave Neuendorf
Pretty conventional coming-of-age wizard fantasy. The writing is a bit amateurish, but there were few really distracting mistakes. The magic system isn't well developed, but Traven, the young wielder (wizard) very gradually discovers his talents. There is just the beginning of a hopeless romance. I've read it twice now, so clearly it managed to keep my interest.
Teresa Carrigan
Nov 26, 2011 Teresa Carrigan rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Fantasy. Worth reading once, and odds are I'll buy the sequel when it is available, but not great. The plot is rather contrived in places and it could stand to have a good editor apply blue pencil liberally. ;)
Scott
May 01, 2013 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
See my review for the last book.
Barry
Feb 22, 2013 Barry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Same old same old and poorly written
Shawn
Apr 13, 2012 Shawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I suspect there's a decent story here, but the writing feels amateurish: Too much telling, not enough showing. Grabbed the free sample for Kindle, but didn't finish.
  • The Sorcerer's Torment (The Sorcerer's Path, #2)
  • The Guardians (The Restoration Series, #1)
  • A New Age (Book of One, #1)
  • Balancer (Advent Mage Cycle, #4)
  • Child of the Sword (The Gods Within, #1)
  • Wizard Rising (The Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Dragonswarm (Dragonprince Trilogy, #2)
  • Thinblade (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #1)
  • King of Ashes (The Longsword Chronicles, #1)
  • Provenance (Spellscribed #1)
  • The Builder (The Young Ancients, #1)
  • Victor Deus (Heritage of the Blood, #1)
  • Elseerian (The Chronicles of Lumineia: The Second Draeken War, #1)
  • Blood and Steel (The Cor Chronicles, #1)
  • Nature Mage (Nature Mage, #1)
  • The (sort of) Dark Mage (Waldo Rabbit, #1)
  • Mind Forged (Enchanters of Xarparion, #1)

Wielder Trilogy (3 books)
  • Wielder's Rising (Wielder, #2)
  • Wielder's Fate (Wielder, #3)

“In life, you will hear many fantastical and astounding things, what is important is sorting out the fact from the fiction.” 1 likes
“Sometimes I am so intent on what could be better that I forget to enjoy what is already there. ” 0 likes