Start by marking “Gorgeous Carat, Volume 01” as Want to Read:
Gorgeous Carat, Volume 01

Gorgeous Carat, Volume 01 (Gorgeous Carat #1)

Florian Rochefort is the heir to a once-wealthy aristocratic family that has fallen on hard times. One way to save the family's fortune would be to sell the Flame of Mughal, a 120 carat diamond that has been entrusted to the Rochefort family, only Florian's mother refuses to part with the treasure. But then a distant relative, Ray Balzac Courland, shows up at a Rochefort ...more
Published February 7th 2006 by Blu

To ask other readers questions about Gorgeous Carat, Volume 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gorgeous Carat, Volume 01

Junjo Romantica, Volume 01 by Shungiku Nakamura -中村 春菊Finder, Volume 1 by Ayano YamaneTotally Captivated, Volume 1 by Hajin YooThe Crimson Spell, Volume 1 by Ayano YamaneLoveless, Volume 1 by Yun Kouga
Yaoi / Shounen Ai / BL Manga
59th out of 537 books — 609 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
385th out of 859 books — 3,279 voters

More lists with this book...

Kati
Apr 28, 2009 Kati rated it it was amazing
Re-reading my favorite manga of all time, just because. I love it so much that you can't expect any objective thoughts from me. You Higuri simply rocks and Ray and Floréan (as they are called in German) are just perfect. I love how their relationship progresses so slowly that you can't even really call the manga yaoi. I love the way Ray and Floréan bicker, Laila's jealousy, her realization that for Ray, Floréan is "the one", Solomon's tenacity, Noël's cuteness... Yes, I love everything about the ...more
TheFountainPenDiva
Oct 12, 2010 TheFountainPenDiva rated it it was amazing
Turn of the century Paris as done by Japanese manga artist You Higuri. Phantom Thief Noir and Florian--the sparks are definitely there, but no real flame. Still, the storyline is compelling. Sort of a "Perils of Pauline"-type plot, with Florian, the son of a noble family fallen on hard times, often needing to be rescued. If you read this series for any reason, it's the dashing and drop-dead GORGEOUS villian, Azura. He makes long platinum hair and an eye patch into grrrowl central!!!

Yeah, I'm a f
Hannah Givens
Jul 28, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, lgbt, manga
This manga is pretty typical for yaoi, especially 90s yaoi, with a defined dom and sub who start antagonistic. Still, it's done very well and the whole thing creates a compelling mood. It's ridiculous for Noir to be 18, but other than that the leads are sexy and have a lot of chemistry together. I'll be interested to see how the series works as a whole.
Cornerofmadness
Jun 21, 2015 Cornerofmadness rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, historical, lgbt
Suvi
Dec 27, 2015 Suvi added it
Sometimes it's really weird going back to things you liked back in the day. Who wouldn't want to read a series about a whip-wielding master thief and loan-shark who buys himself the son of an impoverished aristocratic family because his eyes look like pretty amethysts? Oh, 90s. Oh, the nostalgia.

You Higuri has many yaoi-without-the-yaoi sort of series - all the tropes and trappings are there, but nothing actually happens. It doesn't even matter because there's an actual plot and actual character
Christine (AR)
May 13, 2009 Christine (AR) rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, romance
An action-based story set in turn of the century Paris with an impoverished aristocrat and a sinister jewel thief.

This seems far more like an adventure manga than yaoi, except for the fact that Noir is obsessed with keeping Florian under his complete control. Florian is no wilting flower and doesn't cooperate, so there's lots of confrontation. They are both fascinated and enraged by each other, and they don't even know why -- which essentially is my favorite kind of UST, so bonus points there.
S.M.M. Lindström
Jan 31, 2016 S.M.M. Lindström rated it liked it
Shelves: not-my-teacup
Read this a while back so I can't remember the plot 100%, but I do remember my general impression of it. I liked that the main characters was self-sacrificing enough to agree to what happens to him in the book without being a complete doormat. Also, I like that his "partner" (or rather, kidnapper) is portrayed as doing something wrong when said kidnapping and sexual harassment begins. Still the relationship dynamics between the two have been done before and most of the characters are two ...more
Leila Anani
Bishonen manga set in turn of the century France - Follow the adventures of Noir, a cocky and talented jewel thief and Florian of the amethyst eyes, son of impoverished aristocrats and now living with Noir as payment for a debet.

In this volume we have two stories - how Florian and Noir meet, and then a 'case' story in which our heroes encounter the run away son of a bank manager who has jewels in his teddybear.

Will appeal to fans of things like Gerard and Jacques and Fake. Light on the yaoi cont
Adriana
Jan 29, 2014 Adriana rated it really liked it
I got my copy when I bought a blind box of books and this entire series was in it.
Wasn't sure what to expect, but the plot is fast paced and action packed and the art is good.
The yaoi aspect is almost non-existent. Seriously, apart from one or two panels, theres hadrly anything to really raise any eyebrows.
I did have a problem with how a lot of things are mentioned and never explained or fully explored, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until I read the rest of the books.
Anna
I remember when I first read this that I felt it was one of the best yaoi mangas. Well drawn, not quite as unrealistic or forced, not overly dramatic. It still has some general inconsistencies and silliness (is there a reason Noir has to be 18?), but I found I still rather enjoyed reading this again even as an older adult. Full of adventure, fun, and sweetness. But boy, do I know what's coming...
Aliza Argueta
Feb 18, 2015 Aliza Argueta rated it it was amazing
MY first shounen Ai manga
I love it, and the whole series that goes along with it!!
I recommend it to anyone who likes yaoi/BL, nothing graphic though
Denise
Jul 28, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it
Been wanting to read this for a while (and I think I did actually start at some point years ago), now I finally got around to it. Seems good so far, on to Vol. 2!
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Sandy
Sandy rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2012
Cat
Cat rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2010
Yuu
Yuu rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2014
Hnin Noble Shein
Hnin Noble Shein rated it it was ok
Sep 09, 2015
Eboni Rawlins
Eboni Rawlins rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Cindy Ramos
Cindy Ramos rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2013
Sapphire Bengier
Sapphire Bengier rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2014
Salvia
Salvia rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Kirino
Kirino rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Lilliana
Lilliana rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2013
Veronica
Veronica rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2015
Apichaya
Apichaya rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2013
Katie Shellman
Katie Shellman rated it it was ok
Nov 04, 2013
Ramona
Ramona rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2012
Cristal Marie
Cristal Marie rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2012
  • Black Knight, Volume 01
  • Our Kingdom, Volume 01
  • Love Mode, Vol. 11
  • Fake, Volume 07
  • Takumi-kun series vol. 1 June Pride (Takumi-kun Series, #1)
  • Skyscrapers of Oz
  • The Crimson Spell, Volume 2 (Crimson Spell, #2)
  • Eerie Queerie!, Volume 1 (Eerie Queerie!, #1)
  • Just Around the Corner
  • Empty Heart: False Love
  • Wild Rock
You Higuri (氷栗優) is a Japanese shōjo and yaoi manga artist. She is known especially for her drawings of beautiful fantasy men in romantic storylines set in historical Europe, such as Gorgeous Carat in early 20th-century France and Cantarella during the Italian Renaissance.

Source: Wikipedia