Start by marking “The High-Beta Rich: How the Manic Wealthy Will Take Us to the Next Boom, Bubble, and Bust” as Want to Read:

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The rich are not only getting richer, they are becoming more dangerous. Starting in the early 1980s the top one percent (1%) broke away from the rest of us to become the most unstable force in the economy. An elite that had once been the flat line on the American income charts - models of financial propriety - suddenly set off on a wild ride of economic binges.

Not only
Published November 1st 2011 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The High-Beta Rich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The High-Beta Rich

La Petite Américaine
I'll admit it: I bought this book for the schadenfreude. I skimmed over the financial stats and took particular glee in reading about people going from billionaire to bankrupt overnight in the 2008 financial crisis. My favorite examples? A toss-up between the former billionaire who could no longer pay her phone bill and had to learn to do her own dishes, and the wife of a guy who when from $8 billion to $100 million overnight, who then had to cope with the "trauma" of flying commercial after the ...more
Nancy
The High Beta Rich is more than a series of entertaining gossipy stories about the rise and fall of fortunes. But it isn't much more. Robert Frank touches on the problems of wealth concentration and an increasingly volatile boom/bust economy, but he doesn't offer hope for the future beyond quoting competing sound bites from a few politicians. I'd hoped for some sort of path away from more for the wealthy and less for everyone else.

Frank points out that there is quite a bit of turnover in the to
Everyday eBook
Sep 18, 2012 Everyday eBook rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Everyday by: Paul Lamb
Despite the tremendous attention surrounding the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations in downtown Manhattan, you might continue to scratch your head in beginning to figure out just what exactly these demonstrators want. In some instances, it’s a ‘perp walk’ from Wall Street, so their eyes can feast upon CEOs as they hit the ground, their golden parachutes crumpled in heaps beside the tents and trees in Zuccotti Park. Perhaps they want a public mea culpa of all the wrongdoing that’s undone our natio ...more
Stuart
Robert Frank is a good journalist. He knows how to write a sentence and manages to get people to open up and say things they probably shouldn't say. Frank has found a few colorful people who made a ton of money and lost it all in the 2008 crash to open up the doors of their half built mansions and rundown pickups and tell their life stories. These are engaging individuals and Frank mines their stories well. All were hard workers who benefited from the real estate boom in the 1980s to 2000s befor ...more
Melissa
I've never read a non-fiction book, cover to cover, in one afternoon... until this book.

The very rich are not living frugally - they are consuming very conspicuously and borrowing a lot of money to do it. What that means is that they do much better than the 99% of us when times are good and they lose more when times are bad.

Most of us aren't going to cry if someone's 100 billion dollar net worth turns into 50 billion. But it does have repercussions for us - state tax coffers will be much less in
Christopher Litsinger
This is one of those books, like Predictably Irrational or Fast Food Nation that gets under your skin and you can't stop talking about. While Frank's writing had a few annoying ticks ("Consider the story of the xx family" got a bit old after a while) overall this was a terrifying and fascinating book, covering the story of the win-it-all-lose-it-all wealthy from lots of interesting angles: talking to many rich and formerly rich people as well as butlers and high-end repo men.
I didn't always agre
Marcus

This is a very interesting book with an intriguing central idea. The 1% and upper 0.1% of the USA have greatly increased their share of wealth in the US economy AND the volatility of that wealth. As a result, the up and downs of this small but increasingly wealthy segment of the economy may introduce more volatility into the overall economy. Mr. Frank uses numerous stories including that of Tim Blixeth and the time share king of Florida to illustrate his points. How their sudden expansion of we
Hal
A so so book. I had read "Richistan" by the same author and happened to pick this book up also. So we learn the rich are dwindling but making more than ever. And of the wide ups and downs that we have witnessed over the past several decades.

Beyond the stories of real life folks who experienced these rides not a great deal to learn here. Other than we can expect more of the same as we settle to a future of perpetual bust for many and ups and downs for the lucky few.
Lynn
The best part of this book is the stories of the ultra-rich who've lost tons of money, or as Frank named them in his previous book the members of Richistan. There's definitely a feeling of Schadenfreude that the reader gets upon hearing about all these poor wealthy folks who have to lay off their servants (poor them) and learn how to pump gas and clean house. Yet there are a few multimillionaires whom I like, such as Frank Anderson, who drives a five-year-old SUV and lives in a modest house with ...more
Nathan Glenn
This was a great followup to Richistan which, besides telling interesting stories about the rich and those associated with them, shows how terrible financial habits of a few million millionaires messes with the economy, the government, and Americans in general.
High-beta refers to the fact that the wealth of the American wealth is very unstable and largely based on speculation. It is risky to depend on it since its value varies quickly and wildly.
Basically since the Reagan era a culture of showy
Ron Jensen
I expected this to be a political bashing of the rich, but it was much different. It contained a lot of interesting, mostly sympathetic stories of rich people who lost everything, rich people who live conservatively, and people such as the jet plane repo men who make a good living off the fallen rich. The depiction of Aspen and the changes it has gone through was one of the most interesting parts of the book. The basic thesis, that the economy of the US and many other developed countries is domi ...more
Dawn
It was an interesting read, I'll at least give it that.

It tells the stories of various members of the "High-Beta Rich". Back in the day, the mega wealthy were the most conservative of investors, so any dip in the market tended to affect them less (as a percentage). However, now the wealthy are getting rich through one-time liquidity events (selling off their large family business or cashing out in a humongous IPO) and with this huge influx of new wealth, they are buying and investing stupidly. A
Caleb
Good, not great, book about the increasingly volatile nature of the wealthy in America and how their spending habits and saving practices are actually worse than everyone else's not better. Frank writes about the wealthy for the WSJ and he takes a fair tone to this book which could be handled with either a condescending or fawning tone by the wrong writer. The main critique is that it feels like it was written by journalist who had more material than needed for an article but not quite enough to ...more
Daniel
An excellent book which describe the high volatility their wealth encounters and how it affects our economy.
sid
Oh, sweet schadenfreude! This is a great sequel to his earlier book entitled _Richistan_. The reader/performer is also excellent.
Diane Patterson
Fabulous look at the rollercoaster ride our economy, society, and culture has gone on as a result of the massive wealth being accrued by the top 1% of the population -- a population, btw, that is not stable, but is itself always in flux. Really lovely look at the ups and downs of the superrich and the effects that don't trickle down but wash down like a tsunami over everyone else.
Stephanie
A look at a new type of wealthy person, the high-beta rich as Robert Frank calls them, whose wealth is more volatile, and therefore, has a lot more impact all through the economy, both good and bad. I particularly enjoyed the case studies of individuals with this kind of wealth and the opulent, over-the-top lifestyle they assumed, and then in many cases, lost. A bit of schadenfreude I guess!
Lance Wiggs
A very easy read, and a disturbing look at how many of the new wealthy are idiots with their money, and our economy. The good news is that they are often the former wealthy later in the book. Some good messages their for prudent life styles, and putting actually making stuff ahead of financial shenanigans for true wealth accumulation and security.
Chris
Good book for understanding the changing character of wealth in the Western world. You can read this for the stories of the wealthy being stupid or to help understand the implications of high beta wealth. Although Frank identifies many of the problems high-beta wealth creates, he leaves more (but not all) to the reader when it comes to solutions.
Karen
I read Frank's first book and hoped there was a sequel. This one was able to answer so many more of my questions about the impact of the rich on the global economy and American society. I like that Frank seems to write with a non-partisan voice, it's a sign of good journalism. Also, the book is a fast read and is as interesting as a novel.
Rick
Jul 14, 2013 Rick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
great overview of how the rich survived and fared in the great recession. In case, you know, you were worried about them. Still, though, a fascinating read, and a good companion to Frank's other book about the wealthy, Richistan. This is a sequel of sorts.
Ian
A very accessible, though provoking and well-reasoned analysis of the way that volatility in the wealthiest sectors of society is contributing to continued problems in the economy and government. A great followup to his previous book, Richistan.
Heather
interesting/fascinating/easy to read/ wow
I advise reading his first book "Richistan (5*)" so that you are clued into some of the characters.

makes me want to be rich without the 30,000 feet mansion. You know -- comfortably rich.
Michael D
Fascinating. Illuminating. A peephole into the lives of the nouveaux riche and the growing hazards their leveraged, high-beta fortunes create for communities, economies and civic life.
Eric Sondermann
Good book written by a close friend of my business partner (who gets a prominent acknowledgement). Builds on his previous (and perhaps slightly more compelling) book, Richistan.
Nancy Bradli
Very well-articulated position on why we are in for more boom and bust cycles in our economy and why they will get worse. I highly recommend this book.
Linda
Easy to read, interesting, new information, at least to me. Seems like we should all
know these insider details about how we are getting screwed.
Jim O'shaughnessy
A somewhat interesting look at how the rich in America are suffering from much greater income volatility than others.
Enid
The 411 on how the 1% live
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
  • Execution Premium
  • Richistan: A Journey Through the American Wealth Boom and the Lives of the New Rich
  • The Think Big Manifesto: Think You Can't Change Your Life (and the World?) Think Again.
  • Stealing MySpace: The Battle to Control the Most Popular Website in America
  • Made From Scratch: A Memoir
  • The EFT Manual
  • Start Over, Finish Rich: 10 Steps to Get You Back on Track in 2010
  • A Million Bucks by 30: How to Overcome a Crap Job, Stingy Parents, and a Useless Degree to Become a Millionaire Before (or After) Turning Thirty
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • Co-Opetition
  • Billion-Dollar Lessons: What You Can Learn from the Most Inexcusable Business Failures of the Last 25 Years
  • Warren Buffett Invests Like a Girl: And Why You Should, Too
  • Rich Like Them: My Door-to-Door Search for the Secrets of Wealth in America's Richest Neighborhoods
  • The Scavengers' Manifesto
  • People Are Idiots and I Can Prove It!: The 10 Ways You Are Sabotaging Yourself and How You Can Overcome Them
  • Shiny Objects: Why We Spend Money We Don't Have in Search of Happiness We Can't Buy
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • Power to the People
Robert Frank is a notable photographer and filmmaker.

More about Robert Frank...
The Americans Robert Frank: Moving Out Robert Frank: Storylines The Lines of My Hand Robert Frank: Hold Still- Keep Going