Start by marking “Essential Welty CD: Why I Live at the P.O., A Memory, Powerhouse and Petrified Man” as Want to Read:

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In 1956, Caedmon had the great fortune to record Eudora Welty reading some of her finest stories. In her sweetly vibrant Mississippi drawl, Ms. Welty deftly draws the listener in to the uproariously multilayered "Why I Live at the P.O.," the spontaneous "Powerhouse" and the insightful voice of women's truths in "Petrified Man." Ms. Welty's reading brings immediacy and reso...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 27th 2006 by Caedmon

To ask other readers questions about Essential Welty CD, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Welty CD

Candy
Listened to the author read these on CD. She talks really fast!! I liked "Why I live at the PO" best.
Lane Willson
This is an "audiobook" that is very short, just over an hour, which Ms. Welty reads herself. I took a Southern Literature class my senior year of high school and fell in love with Flannery O'Conner and her. Shortly thereafter I got to hear Ms. Welty speak and read some of her work at an event in Chattanooga. Her rich voice is the sweet sound that make the truth more than just bearable, and even in her at times uncomfortable honesty I found myself hoping there was more.
Karima

A real treat to hear Miss Eudora read her work, esp. the first story, "Why I Live at the P.O.". Though read VERY fast, I get that this speed for this particular story was, well, essential. She does NOT read the other three stories at such a rapid-fire pace.
Disappointing in that it offers only FOUR stories.
Jillian
Listened to the author read these on CD. As another reviewer has said, she talks really fast!! I also liked "Why I live at the PO" best. Welty's characters are salty and sassy. I dig it.
Stephanie
Apr 14, 2013 Stephanie marked it as not-read
She read too fast for me to follow!! Could not listen to this. God help me if I lose my vision and have to rely on audio books to "read."
Jed
Apr 05, 2010 Jed rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
it could be that the only thing better than reading welty is to hear her read it to you.
Kim
Why I Live at the P.O. Is the funniest story I have ever heard. It's brilliant.
Leslie
VG if you like Southern Lit. Read by author with humor and irony and sass.
Maggie
her voice reading three of her stories. what a treat.
James
Three stories from this author as read by her. Awesome.
Sally Ruhl
Sally Ruhl is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2014
Stacey
Stacey added it
Jan 06, 2014
Emily Ellington ferguson
Emily Ellington ferguson marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Tricia
Tricia marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Nat
Nat marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2013
Armean
Armean marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2013
Eudora Alice Welty was an award-winning American author who wrote short stories and novels about the American South. Her book The Optimist's Daughter won the Pulitzer Prize in 1973 and she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, among numerous awards. She was the first living author to have her works published by the Library of America.

Welty was born in Jackson, Mississippi, and lived a sig...more
More about Eudora Welty...
The Collected Stories The Optimist's Daughter One Writer's Beginnings (William E.Massey Senior Lectures in the History of American Civilization) (The William E. Massey Sr. Lectures in the History of American Civilization) Delta Wedding The Ponder Heart