Start by marking “Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)” as Want to Read:
Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
Preview

Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate the Great #3)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  14 reviews
These chapter books introduce beginning readers to the detective mystery genre. Perfect for the Common Core, kids can problem-solve with Nate, using logical thinking to solve mysteries!

Although Nate the Great and his dog, Sludge, are on vacation, they just can't resist a new case. When his friend Claude's grocery list is lost, Nate sets out to find it before lunch. But lun
Published May 1st 1991 by Yearling (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Nate The Great And The Lost List, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate The Great And The Lost List

Measle and the Mallockee by Ian OgilvyStink by Megan McDonaldThe Grunts in Trouble by Philip ArdaghAwful End by Philip ArdaghThe Fall of Fergal by Philip Ardagh
Series Reads for 2nd Grade Boys
72nd out of 91 books — 2 voters
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyDragon Howl by Vanessa RouseThe Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav PilkeyHorrid Henry's Joke Book by Francesca SimonDragon Rider by Cornelia Funke
2nd Grade Book List for Boys
134th out of 148 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Diz
I'm a fan of the Nate the Great series, which is partly because I read these when I was a kid. The art has a 70's vibe, and the short clipped sentences feel like how the old pulp detectives talked. This particular story deals with some strange cat pancakes which are fun to talk about with kids.
Kaethe
Somewhere out there, Nate the Great is wandering around, solving very easy puzzles, and eating pancakes, and avoiding his weirder acquaintances. So shall it always be.

I'm glad we're out of Nate territory.
Jessica
Fun and quirky. Perfect for new readers.
A.
One of things I like in all Nate the Great mysteries, is the notes he writes to his mom before starting any of his investigations. That shows a mature side of his personality which may build some sense of responsibility among his readers.

The lost list case teaches us that we all see things in different ways. What Nate thought it’s the lost list turned to be a map he drew, and what Rosamond thought it’s a pancake recipe for cats turned to be what Claude was looking for. In this one I couldn’t gue
Michelle. D.
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Janelle
I read this chapter book for the "Mystery" selection. I love the Nate the Great books. They are wonderful for kids who enjoy mystery books, as well as for kids learning to read chapter books. This book is a cute story line of Nate and his dog Sludge trying to solve the mystery of the lost grocery list. This could be used in the classroom for kids if they want to act out a mystery skit or create their own mystery storyline of Nate the Great. All the fun characters will keep kids hooked!
Dolly
Oct 28, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We found some Nate the Great stories we haven't read yet and are enjoying getting back into the series again. We had read all the books in this series that were in our old library system. Now that we have moved, we've found all kinds of new books available to us. Yay! In any case, this was a fun mystery and as our girls are becoming more interested in cooking, they particularly liked this story. We'll have to make pancakes very soon!
Shawn Bird
Cute story, well paced, logical development, funny characters. Excellent early chapter book for grade ones and twos. :-)
Heidi
Was I supposed to figure out the mystery before I was halfway through the book? Maybe I can chalk that up to age. The book makes me smile, and gives me a bit of a wrinkled brow. It's not bad. It's fantastic for its age group. Humorous. Can promote deductive reasoning. I...don't know why my brow was wrinkled. Maybe Nate the Great can figure it out.
Kristine Pratt
Cats, pancakes, and a lost shopping list come together in this crazy mystery featuring Nate the Great. Once again the author has told us an entertaining story with an unexpected twist and even a solid lesson about human nature.

I loved this book and yes, would recommend it to anyone to enjoy!
Terri Pray
Third in the Nate the Great series and Jack enjoyed the story. It's a simple detective story aimed at 1-3 grade students. Cute illustrations, simple sentences and easy to read.
Maggie
It was funny that Rosamond was cover in flour and made cat pancakes! Just from the list.
Cyndi Taylor
We love the Nate the great books.
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Monica
Monica added it
Apr 15, 2015
Elizabeth Murray
Elizabeth Murray marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Rachel
Rachel added it
Mar 21, 2015
  • Henry and Mudge and the Funny Lunch (Henry and Mudge, #24)
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Missing Cookie (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2)
  • Mercy Watson: Something Wonky This Way Comes (Mercy Watson #6)
  • A Friend For Dragon
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Flap Your Wings
  • The Case of the Stolen Baseball Cards (Jigsaw Jones Mystery, #5)
  • The Horse in Harry's Room
  • Elephants Cannot Dance!
  • Hooray For Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #6)
  • Biscuit's New Trick
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize
  • Nate the Great Stalks Stupidweed
  • Nate the Great and the Boring Beach Bag
  • Nate the Great and the Halloween Hunt
Nate the Great Nate the Great Goes Undercover Nate the Great and the Big Sniff Nate the Great and the Missing Key Nate the Great and the Sticky Case