Start by marking “Fruits Basket, Vol. 19” as Want to Read:
Fruits Basket, Vol. 19

Fruits Basket, Vol. 19 (Fruits Basket #19)

4.46  ·  Rating Details ·  9,892 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
As the Fruits Basket saga continues, the relationship between Tohru and Kyo becomes increasingly complicated, especially since most of the members of the Zodiac seem to look down on him. Tohru comes to the realization that if she wants to save Kyo, she'll have to create some sort of trigger to break his curse. But what, if anything, can cure Kyo? The answer is right inside ...more
Published March 18th 2008 by TokyoPop (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Fruits Basket, Vol. 19, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fruits Basket, Vol. 19

Rain Misoa
Jul 02, 2011 Rain Misoa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE! And people who... has their Coner of Woe and spork with them
Recommended to Rain by: Nicole Terazue
Shelves: manga
FINALLY! IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO GET MY HANDS ON THIS MANGA!!! IT WAS SOOOOO WORTH THE WAIT! XD Actually... *Frowns* ...this was a very sad volume. Oh man... it focused a lot on Tohru and Kyo's relationship and let me tell you... it's very depressing. I was tearing up so badly whilst reading it. Those two touch my heart in a way I never thought possible. So... *Blubbers* ...so heart-breaking. That's not the only thing either! Oh no! There's more. There's even sad back-story involving Ayame and Min ...more
Smaileh
Jul 24, 2008 Smaileh rated it really liked it
The biggest surprise in this volume is how much some of the characters have grown! Momiji, who has been away for a while, comes back and gets a lot of the girls excited--he's so tall and good-looking. But he still has his rabbit back-pack! Kyo, Yuki, Risa and Hiro all have grown up, too. Only Tohru doesn't seem to age at all--still cute and innocent and optimistic. Things have been getting awkward between her and Kyo, espcially after Hatori tells her that secretly all the other Sohmas need Kyo, ...more
Victoria
Sep 05, 2016 Victoria rated it really liked it
Ahh Kyo just make your move already and tell Tohru how you feel about her! Especially now that there are quite a few of the other zodiacs that have already begun developing feelings for her. By the time, he gets the courage to do it, one of the others is bound to make a move on her. :O
Becky
Nov 15, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
HAVE YOU READ THESE YET? IF NOT, WHY NOT?! GO READ THEM! GO READ THEM NOW!
Dec 15, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing
Okay, that has to be the worst synopsis ever given on the back of one of the volumes. First of all, Kyo and Tohru already have a complicated relationship. They're just more aware of it now so they're being really awkward. Second, Tohru was already looking for a trigger to break the curse. I don't really think that's new information. Let me tell you what this volume is really about.

Shigure talks to Tohru about the curse and saving Kyo. They kind of get into it because Shigure is so blunt about Ky
Debbie
Mar 13, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it
So, I thought I'd take a moment, while I'm waiting for vol. 20 to come from the library or in the mail, to comment a bit on this series...I read the first 16 volumes in 2007, then never finished, so I decided to read the whole thing. While it always takes me a while to get into the rhythm of reading manga, with the right-to-left order, sound-effects characters, etc., I actually feel like I could follow the story this time. And I waver between 4 and 5 stars for all the volumes after 6, though tha ...more
Jen
Feb 19, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing
Alison (AlisonCanRead)
Feb 16, 2011 Alison (AlisonCanRead) rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
In this volume, Tohru and Kyo are getting increasingly closer to being "together." Kyo is so in love with Tohru that it's obvious to all the Sohmas and Tohru is finally close to admitting that she loves Kyo-kun. Tohru is afraid that if she loves Kyo, she'll lose the memory of her mother.

Much of the book is about how the other members of the Zodiac look down on Kyo. Their loves are so difficult being cursed that it's nice to know that Kyo's life is worse. There's a great scene with Shigure and To
earthy
Apr 09, 2009 earthy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, manga
Adorable Kyou/Tohru moments, and of course I have to mention how much I like Shigure's struggle with the competition between his self-loathing and his desire to manipulate everyone into breaking the curse. He's not really nice about it, but he does have some great interactions with Tohru in this volume--you get the impression he really cares about her, whether or not he's actually using her.

Grown-up Momiji is hotness incarnate (as we knew he would be), but still adorable, and the Kakeru/Yuki int
Miss Ryoko
Jun 02, 2009 Miss Ryoko rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Oh man, I started sobbing like three pages into this volume!!! *heartbreak* But then about halfway through it started to slow down.

The one thing that stands out the most in this volume:

MOMIJI GROWN UP!!!!!!!!! And looking soooooooooooo handsome! (as if I had doubts...I knew he'd be gorgeous!)

We get to meet Komaki, Kakeru's girlfriend in this volume and learn how she's linked to Tohru.

And the appearance of Ayame always makes me happy!

And I don't care what people said or still say, I think Tohru D
Yehudit
More character growth, intensity, and the kind of heart-punching insights for life. I just love this series.
Cath
Aug 26, 2015 Cath rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I don't want this series to finish! Ughhhh.
Carina
A lot goes on in this volume really, with most of it going towards character as opposed to plot development. I admit that on the first few read throughs this can be irritating - I mean, you just want the bond to be broken so everyone gets a happy ever after ending. That said on this read through, as I am deliberately taking my time and (trying) to only read one volume a day, I appreciate the growth we get here.

We pick up the volume immediately after the last one ends, with Tohru finally really f
Dexter
Dec 26, 2016 Dexter rated it really liked it
Kyo and Tohru are a little silly, but they're moving forward. Kind of.

Other than that, just a lot of the Zodiac being vague and dramatic to each other and to Tohru. Same old same old.
Nick
Sep 11, 2008 Nick rated it it was amazing
Overall Rating: A to the cute power
Synopsis: Fruits Basket is a shōjo manga series created by Natsuki Takaya that follows the life of Tohru Honda. When the series begins, Tohru is living in a tent in the woods after being recently orphaned when her mother died in a car accident. Somehow, Tohru is able to remain optimistic despite all the shit she has had to go through.

While wandering through the forest she's living in, she runs across the house of the Sohma family. As it happens, Tohru goes to
Anne
Oct 17, 2012 Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
So I guess I was wrong. After the way the last volume ended, I thought for sure things would be speeding up now. I guess the author used this volume to fill up a lot of back stories, so naturally the mood was very different. While the previous volume had a very dark feeling, this was more up-beat, with lots more of the craziness this series is known for.

A lot of the characters have been shown to have been hurt somehow, one way or another. Tohru is no different. A lot about her past is cleared up
Katie
Lucia
Aug 25, 2013 Lucia rated it it was amazing
*spoilers*

Oh my Lord, the scene where Tohru is hanging laundry and Kyo hugs her through the sheet, holy crap, that one panel illustration is etched in my brain forever, it conveyed such intense emotion, love, desperation, confusion, pain.... My heart fluttered and my eyes teared! I love them!

As a side note, I was so happy that Momiji "grew" both in size and maturity. Now he looks like a "real" male character instead of the weird cross-dressing boy/man goofy character he started as, which was fi
Dani
Aug 20, 2012 Dani rated it it was amazing
B.B.
Nov 28, 2010 B.B. rated it liked it
Carina
Jan 05, 2014 Carina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do feel for Tohru in this volume, it must be really hard to feel that someone is replacing your first affection... in this case Kyo is replacing her mother - he is now first in her thoughts whereas before it was her mother. I like that Shigure is honest with Tohru about Kyos role in this ... so much of this series deals with misunderstandings and unspoken thoughts that it is nice to have something spelled out plainly and simply.

I love the conversation between Tohru and Kyo, and how tense they
LB
Nov 17, 2013 LB rated it liked it
This review is also posted at http://readingnookandcranny.blogspot....

I had hoped this volume would be a substantial plot volume, but it turns out to be mostly filler once again. While Tohru and Kyo have a moment, and the younger of the Sohma zodiac clan discuss Kyo having to be locked away in the cat room by Akito, these plot points only cover maybe 1/5 of the volume. The rest deals mostly with the annoying student council group. And while Nabe is linked to Tohru's past, the backstory has nothi
Sabrina
Oct 16, 2008 Sabrina rated it really liked it
Fruits Basket (フルーツバスケット, Furūtsu Basuketto?), sometimes abbreviated Furuba (フルバ, Furuba?), is a Japanese manga series by Natsuki Takaya. It was serialized in the semi-monthly Japanese magazine Hana to Yume, published by Hakusensha, from 1999 to 2006. The series was also adapted into a 26-episode anime series, directed by Akitaro Daichi. The series tells the story of Tohru Honda, an orphan girl who, after meeting Yuki, Kyo, and Shigure Sohma, learns that thirteen members of the Sohma family are ...more
Erin
Jul 14, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing
Theresa ♫
May 04, 2012 Theresa ♫ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fellow humans in search for yet another installment of Furuba.
May the fourth be with you!!!
Well, that's the day I finished reading this book.

Anyway, my review will be TO COME!!! I just...want to say "May the fourth be with you" before I forget to.

AS OF JULY 28, 2012, when Theresa finally decides to write the review.

......This installment was really good! (Sniff*) That's all I can remember.
I know, I know, that's what happens when you wait 2 months to write a review. But seriously, I remember this volume probably being my favorite volume out of all of them.
Sara
This volume was like a show of how the characters have grown. It's surprising how much they've all changed. Really the Kyo, Tohru stuff was so cute. They have to be together, Kyo can't be locked up, he's my favourite character!
I didn't really care about the student council things. Ayame made a funny appearance, he always cracks me up and I love'd his small backstory about meeting Mine. I felt sad for Manabe's girlfriend, it's horrible they are all connected to Tohru in that sad way. Anyway this
Michelle
Oct 19, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngadult, manga
Right from the start this manga had me hooked. How can you not like Tohru? She has to be one of the sweetest people on the planet. All the hopes of breaking the Sohma curse fall on her head. It was interesting to see the relationships grow and change throughout this series. Not only are the characters great, but the storylines were fantastic, although somewhat depressing at times. This is the one series that everyone should read. It was outstanding.
Shelby
Mar 13, 2013 Shelby rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Gaaaaah I just don't know who to ship!

Also, I'm really glad Yuki has made a good friend in Manabe (I like him a lot)

There was a lot more shippiness that I shall refrain from fangirling over (it happens, and it's killing me, we'll leave it at that)

Oh! Some complicated stuff about the death of Tohru's mother, and how Manabe didn't like Tohru at first. That was really interesting!

Yup. The rest was shippy stuff.
My poor fangirl heart.
Collin
Mar 05, 2012 Collin rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist, favorites, manga
Kyo and Tohru. That was my big 'yay' factor for this volume. Not much, but they're making progress. As well as Yuki and Machi. My favorite Yuki pair is still Hana, but that's never going to happen. I also think Yuki and Machi are adorable, anyway.

The plot is still dragging a bit, but with Shigure being as secretive and obnoxiously lovable as always - and with only four volumes left - I'm sure it'll pick up soon.
Rena
Sep 29, 2013 Rena rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, manga
More build-up!! I don't know how long this is going to take. I want to see some results, but I don't want the story to end yet. It is a really complicated predicament right now. I must see how they accomplish all of this. This story is too beautiful to not have a happy ending... It does have a happy ending... yes?...

And can I just say this last little thing. Mother have mercy! What happened to Momiji?!? I can tell you this, it is truly fantastic!
  • Hana-Kimi, Vol. 22 (Hana-Kimi, #22)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 10 (Ouran High School Host Club, #10)
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 10
  • Skip Beat!, Vol. 16
Natsuki Takaya (高屋 奈月 Takaya Natsuki, real name Naka Hatake) is the penname of a Japanese manga artist best-known for creating the series Fruits Basket. She was born on July 7, 1973; (Tanabata). Takaya is left-handed and once revealed that she wanted to be a mangaka since first grade, when her sister started drawing.

She was born in Shizuoka, Japan, but was raised in Tokyo, where she made her debu
More about Natsuki Takaya...

Fruits Basket (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 1