Start by marking “Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize

Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize (Nate the Great #8)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  10 reviews
These chapter books introduce beginning readers to the detective mystery genre. Perfect for the Common Core, kids can problem-solve with Nate, using logical thinking to solve mysteries!

Nate the Great is about to enter his dog, Sludge, in the smartest pet contest. But when the prize disappears, it looks as if the contest will flop.

It's a tough case for Nate and Sludge as th...more
Published February 1st 1988 by Yearling (first published February 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize

Measle and the Mallockee by Ian OgilvyStink by Megan McDonaldThe Grunts in Trouble by Philip ArdaghAwful End by Philip ArdaghThe Fall of Fergal by Philip Ardagh
Series Reads for 2nd Grade Boys
78th out of 91 books — 2 voters
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyHorrid Henry's Joke Book by Francesca SimonDragon Howl by Vanessa RouseDragon Rider by Cornelia FunkeThe Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey
2nd Grade Book List for Boys
124th out of 133 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Cohn
Michael, age 5, loves Nate the Great books. He likes this book because, as he says, it's a boy-and-dog mystery, and it's funny! Also, he likes the fact that dog Sludge finds the clues and that Nate and Sludge are afraid of dog Fang. Watch his review here, and prepare yourself for some great detail--and silliness:
Leiera Monae
Children's Reading Adventures Book Club, Summer 2014

*D.E.A.R. Time -- Read with 7 year olds*

07.11.2014
Michelle. D.
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r...more
Dolly
Dec 16, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our girls love the Nate the Great series, especially my youngest. The stories aren't too long; we can read the whole book at one time. They are pretty silly, but fun and demonstrate common sense thinking. We love the common themes throughout the series; Nate's love for pancakes, his weird friends and their weird pets, and his great detective dog, Sludge.
Elizabeth
My three-year-old daughter really loves when I read Nate the Great. She picks up on quite a few of the details. These aren't my favorite books for kids, but they are great as they see Nate use common sense and linear thinking. The worst I can say is they're repetitive and for younger children.
Carrie
Cute story for beginning readers about a boy w/ a dog named Sludge who solves a silly mystery. The second part of the book has interesting facts about a few animals, a the skill test for your dog and some corny animal riddles. Good for ages 5-7
Eliza
I thought this book was really good because I like the way Nate the Great didn't see the prize when he walked past it outside. And then he realized that Fang knocked it out with his tail!
Angela
I liked how Nate uses commom sense to think things through. This story would be great to introduce linear thinking to younger kids. I do wonder where Nate's parents are though.
Victorb
Nate the Great was on his bike. Nate smells a fishy clue. pip brot his porot. I Like It.
Shelley
This one my son asked and asked to own. It's a good one.
Asha
Asha marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Fatime Cadoo
Fatime Cadoo marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Alyse Barker
Alyse Barker marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Anna Denomey
Anna Denomey marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Babe
Babe marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Callie
Callie marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
M
M added it
Aug 17, 2014
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...
Nate the Great Nate the Great Goes Undercover Nate the Great and the Big Sniff Nate the Great and the Missing Key Nate the Great and the Sticky Case