Start by marking “Nate the Great and the Phony Clue” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great and the Phony Clue

Nate the Great and the Phony Clue (Nate the Great #4)

These chapter books introduce beginning readers to the detective mystery genre. Perfect for the Common Core, kids can problem-solve with Nate, using logical thinking to solve mysteries!

Early one morning, a torn slip of paper with the mysterious letters V I T A appears on Nate the Great's doorstep.  He and his faithful dog, Sludge, set off to solve this latest mystery.  Ag
Published May 15th 1982 by Yearling (first published 1977)

Jess
Nov 16, 2008 Jess rated it really liked it
Beginning reader
For kindergarten-3rd grade

Nate finds a clue on his doorstep and sets off around the neighborhood with his dog, Sludge, to solve the puzzle and prove that he really is a great detective.

Nate the Great is slightly pompous in his trench-coat and Holmesian hat, but he leaves no stone unturned in his quest to find out what's behind the paper clue on his doorstep. In an apparently adult-free world, he roams the neighborhood with his dog, interrogates his friends for further information
Mahin
Feb 27, 2010 Mahin rated it it was amazing
BEST ONE O_O I LEARNED WHAT "PHONY" AND "RED HERRING" MENT FROM THS BOOK IN THIRD GRADE!
Andrew Quinton
Apr 06, 2015 Andrew Quinton rated it it was amazing
In the first part of a book there is a problem in the city and Nate decides he is going to fix it. No one thinks he can fix it but he thinks he can do it.
Nate tries really hard to fix this problem and he can't do it but he kept on trying and trying to fix it. It took make tries but eventually he fixes the problem and relieves all the stress of this problem.
I liked this book a lot. It was a little childish but I thought it was funny and I liked it. I have read almost all of these books and I l
Michelle. D.
Sep 04, 2010 Michelle. D. rated it did not like it
Shelves: was-awful
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Amanda
Apr 08, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Students who are interested in mystery, and are at the transitional level of reading will really enjoy this story. The child detective doesn't stop at one finding, he goes on to finding a much bigger finding, who exactly wrote the note. This book would be great for students who like making predictions addressing the clues throughout the book or predictions on how the detective is going to find the suspect. Very simple and short read.
Sidney
Sep 28, 2016 Sidney rated it really liked it
This book is about Nate the Great when he finds a piece of paper on his doorstep. To solve this clue he has to go see the weird Cat-Lady, find the phony clue, then find a picture of the boat to solve the last clue. In the end he won and proved Annie and himself right as he showed up to Finley's house. Finely didn't think he was a great detective, but he was wrong. I like these stories because they are funny and help kids solve clue along with Nate.
This series was out when I was a child, I don't know how I never stumbled across them then.

Anyway, this is a very cute book. I bought it for my nephew, and I think he'll like it. The edition I have has bonus materials including jokes, trivia, activities, and a recipe for a log cake that I want to test out with my nephew pretty soon.
Lindsay
Jun 15, 2013 Lindsay rated it liked it
We listened to this. He loved it--five stars he says, but since this is my goodreads account, my opinion wins. I did get a little annoyed with the reader of the audiobook overemphasizing "I, Nate the Great" repeatedly. It was like a speed bump in the listening experience. Ian was thrilled to read that the author lives in our city.
Christy
Mar 05, 2013 Christy rated it really liked it
Early one morning, a torn slip of paper with the mysterious letters V I T A appears on Nate the Great's doorstep.He and his faithful dog, Sludge, set off to solve this latest mystery.Against ferocious cats, hostile adversaries, and a sly, phony clue -- not to mention a three o'clock deadline -- Nate struggles to prove, once again, that he is Nate the Great.
Kristine Hansen
Jul 03, 2012 Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing
As usual Nate is brilliant as he puts together the clues that start with a scrap of paper on his front porch.

I also want to give kudos here to clever friends who try to challenge him. Overall this was a fun book and I really liked the quest for the rest of the message, and enjoyed being surprised by the ending. Great job!
Dolly
May 20, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We love the Nate the Great books and have read many of them. Now we are on a hunt to find the ones we haven't read. This was an entertaining story and we enjoyed reading it together.
Terri Pray
Apr 18, 2012 Terri Pray rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-jack
Read with Jack over two days, he enjoys the Nate the Great series. The sentences are easy and often repetitive, and Nate's fascination with pancakes, clues, and his dog, Sludge, help to keep a child interested.
Chelsea Kimmey
Apr 22, 2014 Chelsea Kimmey rated it really liked it
This book is a transition book that could be used for vocabulary lessons. There are words that most students may not know the meaning too that they can use context clues and other vocabulary strategies to find the meaning
Emily
Aug 15, 2013 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: ece-2nd, 3rd-5th
At AR BL: 2.6, this chapter book is accessible to students still mastering blending of more difficult words while still giving them a chapter book feel. And, who doesn't like a young man and his dog solving mysteries?
Emmy
Nov 06, 2008 Emmy rated it really liked it
The first book Matt and I read in the Nate the Great series. A fun little read.
Shelley
Mar 25, 2008 Shelley rated it really liked it
This one really got my son's creativity going.
Kendall
Apr 26, 2016 Kendall rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
The boys love these.
Natalie Weber
May 04, 2014 Natalie Weber rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, creativity
A lot of strategies could be used with this book
Ian
Aug 20, 2013 Ian rated it it was amazing
Ian says "Wicked"
Mandy Robek
Feb 28, 2015 Mandy Robek rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-reader, 2015
A fun book to show Nate the Great in action.
Brenda "Brie"
Dec 07, 2011 Brenda "Brie" rated it did not like it
Kaethe
Jan 11, 2010 Kaethe rated it really liked it
Clever puzzle and solution. Comes with extras that we haven't yet explored.
Angela Barrons
Nov 04, 2010 Angela Barrons rated it really liked it
This was a great book to read as a class. We found that a lot of Nate the
Great's details were in the pictures. We had a lot of connections to this
story as well. We love Nate the Great!
Manda
Aug 16, 2011 Manda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, mystery, fiction
PIcked this up at an old bookshop today. This series was a childhood favorite; thought I'd add it to my collection. :)
Steve
Read with my daughter, Abby, during the summer of 2011.
Nikki
Jul 16, 2014 Nikki rated it really liked it
Cute.
Elanor
Jan 11, 2016 Elanor added it
Cyndi Taylor
Jun 12, 2013 Cyndi Taylor rated it it was amazing
Great little mystery for kids. Simple enough for my 5&6 year olds to follow and "hard" enough to keep my 9 year old interested.
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Jojo
Jojo rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Dinosaur Game (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Wild Wind (Henry and Mudge, #12)
  • Horrible Harry and the Goog
  • Uncle Elephant
  • Aunt Eater Loves a Mystery (I Can Read Level 2)
  • The Candy Corn Contest
  • Abracadabra! Magic with Mouse and Mole
  • Fly Guy Meets Fly Girl (Fly Guy, #8)
  • The Case of the Secret Valentine (Jigsaw Jones, #3)
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Sticky Case