Start by marking “Nate the Great and the Phony Clue” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great and the Phony Clue

Nate the Great and the Phony Clue (Nate the Great #4)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  263 ratings  ·  26 reviews
These chapter books introduce beginning readers to the detective mystery genre. Perfect for the Common Core, kids can problem-solve with Nate, using logical thinking to solve mysteries!

Published May 15th 1982 by Yearling (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great and the Phony Clue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate the Great and the Phony Clue

Measle and the Mallockee by Ian OgilvyStink by Megan McDonaldThe Grunts in Trouble by Philip ArdaghAwful End by Philip ArdaghThe Fall of Fergal by Philip Ardagh
Series Reads for 2nd Grade Boys
75th out of 91 books — 2 voters
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyDragon Howl by Vanessa RouseThe Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav PilkeyHorrid Henry's Joke Book by Francesca SimonDragon Rider by Cornelia Funke
2nd Grade Book List for Boys
137th out of 148 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Jess
Beginning reader
For kindergarten-3rd grade

Nate finds a clue on his doorstep and sets off around the neighborhood with his dog, Sludge, to solve the puzzle and prove that he really is a great detective.

Nate the Great is slightly pompous in his trench-coat and Holmesian hat, but he leaves no stone unturned in his quest to find out what's behind the paper clue on his doorstep. In an apparently adult-free world, he roams the neighborhood with his dog, interrogates his friends for further information
Mahin
BEST ONE O_O I LEARNED WHAT "PHONY" AND "RED HERRING" MENT FROM THS BOOK IN THIRD GRADE!
Amanda
Students who are interested in mystery, and are at the transitional level of reading will really enjoy this story. The child detective doesn't stop at one finding, he goes on to finding a much bigger finding, who exactly wrote the note. This book would be great for students who like making predictions addressing the clues throughout the book or predictions on how the detective is going to find the suspect. Very simple and short read.
Chelsea Kimmey
This book is a transition book that could be used for vocabulary lessons. There are words that most students may not know the meaning too that they can use context clues and other vocabulary strategies to find the meaning
Seth
Nate was matching papers together (lik atas to invatations together it was in invitation)?
Mandy Robek
A fun book to show Nate the Great in action.
Natalie Weber
A lot of strategies could be used with this book
Michelle. D.
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Christy
Early one morning, a torn slip of paper with the mysterious letters V I T A appears on Nate the Great's doorstep.He and his faithful dog, Sludge, set off to solve this latest mystery.Against ferocious cats, hostile adversaries, and a sly, phony clue -- not to mention a three o'clock deadline -- Nate struggles to prove, once again, that he is Nate the Great.
This series was out when I was a child, I don't know how I never stumbled across them then.

Anyway, this is a very cute book. I bought it for my nephew, and I think he'll like it. The edition I have has bonus materials including jokes, trivia, activities, and a recipe for a log cake that I want to test out with my nephew pretty soon.
Lindsay
We listened to this. He loved it--five stars he says, but since this is my goodreads account, my opinion wins. I did get a little annoyed with the reader of the audiobook overemphasizing "I, Nate the Great" repeatedly. It was like a speed bump in the listening experience. Ian was thrilled to read that the author lives in our city.
Kristine Pratt
As usual Nate is brilliant as he puts together the clues that start with a scrap of paper on his front porch.

I also want to give kudos here to clever friends who try to challenge him. Overall this was a fun book and I really liked the quest for the rest of the message, and enjoyed being surprised by the ending. Great job!
Dolly
Jun 22, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We love the Nate the Great books and have read many of them. Now we are on a hunt to find the ones we haven't read. This was an entertaining story and we enjoyed reading it together.
Emily
At AR BL: 2.6, this chapter book is accessible to students still mastering blending of more difficult words while still giving them a chapter book feel. And, who doesn't like a young man and his dog solving mysteries?
Terri Pray
Read with Jack over two days, he enjoys the Nate the Great series. The sentences are easy and often repetitive, and Nate's fascination with pancakes, clues, and his dog, Sludge, help to keep a child interested.
Angela Barrons
This was a great book to read as a class. We found that a lot of Nate the
Great's details were in the pictures. We had a lot of connections to this
story as well. We love Nate the Great!
Manda
PIcked this up at an old bookshop today. This series was a childhood favorite; thought I'd add it to my collection. :)
Cyndi Taylor
Great little mystery for kids. Simple enough for my 5&6 year olds to follow and "hard" enough to keep my 9 year old interested.
Barbara
Emmy
The first book Matt and I read in the Nate the Great series. A fun little read.
Kaethe
Clever puzzle and solution. Comes with extras that we haven't yet explored.
Steve
Read with my daughter, Abby, during the summer of 2011.
Shelley
This one really got my son's creativity going.
Ian
JEAR2-Sha
Nathan
Nathan added it
May 12, 2015
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Library Mystery (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #7)
  • Horrible Harry and the Goog
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Walk the Dog
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Cat
  • The Candy Corn Contest
  • Uncle Elephant
  • Dinosaur Days
  • Help! A Vampire's Coming! (Ready, Freddy!, #6)
  • The Case of the Marshmallow Monster (Jigsaw Jones, #11)
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Sticky Case
  • Nate the Great and the Missing Key
  • Nate the Great and the Snowy Trail
  • Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize
  • Nate the Great Stalks Stupidweed
  • Nate the Great and the Boring Beach Bag
  • Nate the Great and the Halloween Hunt
Nate the Great Nate the Great Goes Undercover Nate the Great and the Big Sniff Nate the Great and the Missing Key Nate the Great and the Sticky Case