Start by marking “The Straw Bale House” as Want to Read:
The Straw Bale House

The Straw Bale House

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Imagine building a house with superior seismic stability, fire resistance, and thermal insulation, using an annually renewable resource, for half the cost of a comparable conventional home. Welcome to the straw bale house! Whether you build an entire house or something more modest-a home office or studio, a retreat cabin or guest cottage-plastered straw bale construction i ...more
Published December 1st 1994 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company (first published November 30th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Straw Bale House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Straw Bale House

Logan Hippard
Very cool, something to consider heavily when building a house. The straw bale construction is energy efficient (in the 60R range vs. 20R for a well-insulated conventional house), healthy, acts as thermal mass and nearly fire-proof and uses a environmentally friendly and ecologically sound medium.
Becky
Feb 29, 2008 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to know more about straw bale buildings.
Recommended to Becky by: Found it in a bookstore
This book is the best book for dreaming, brainstorming, planning & building straw bale houses. I bought this to help me get ideas. I still haven't built that straw bale, but it's planned and plotted out on graph paper. I love this book!
Elisa Berry
A great first glimpse into building a straw bale structure. I wouldn't go taking on house construction with this book alone but, it's a good idea of the possibilities. However, since I already have a house to live in, I am thinking of building a dog house with this book as a guide. Lucky pooches!
DearMYRTLE
I am considering buying property, and building a straw bale home. However, I believe one should participate in a training/building seminar before attempting this.

Alternative housing sources, which reduce one's impact on the world's resources is a high priority for me.

Patricia
While I'm probably never going to build a straw-bale house, this book is going into my "resources for post-apocalypse rebuilding" collection. There is good information about foundations, windows and doors, roofing options, and more that make this a keeper.
Meaghan
This sounds like a weird book to reccommend... but it has some really great diagrams and everything! This is great if you're designing an energy-efficient house!
Ashleigh Hebert
Extremely interesting, and very clear. I know nothing about carpentry, and this book explained straw-bale construction in such a way that I could understand.
Robert Houston
Very good book on technique, somewhat dated as far as resources but still a great reference if you are just starting
Promise Ceasar
Very informative!
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Paul Sawyers
Paul Sawyers marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Tricia (Trish) Orr
Tricia (Trish) Orr marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Natasha Ukrainskaya
Natasha Ukrainskaya marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Ketil
Ketil marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Walter Thomas
Walter Thomas marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Passive Solar Architecture: Heating, Cooling, Ventilation, Daylighting and More Using Natural Flows The second passive solar catalog The Integral Passive Solar Water Heater Book Village Homes' Solar House Designs A Guide for Desert and Dryland Restoration: New Hope for Arid Lands