Start by marking “The Straw Bale House” as Want to Read:
The Straw Bale House

The Straw Bale House

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Imagine building a house with superior seismic stability, fire resistance, and thermal insulation, using an annually renewable resource, for half the cost of a comparable conventional home. Welcome to the straw bale house! Whether you build an entire house or something more modest-a home office or studio, a retreat cabin or guest cottage-plastered straw bale construction i ...more
Published December 1st 1994 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company (first published November 30th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Straw Bale House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Straw Bale House

Logan Hippard
Sep 26, 2011 Logan Hippard rated it it was amazing
Very cool, something to consider heavily when building a house. The straw bale construction is energy efficient (in the 60R range vs. 20R for a well-insulated conventional house), healthy, acts as thermal mass and nearly fire-proof and uses a environmentally friendly and ecologically sound medium.
Becky
Feb 29, 2008 Becky rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to know more about straw bale buildings.
Recommended to Becky by: Found it in a bookstore
This book is the best book for dreaming, brainstorming, planning & building straw bale houses. I bought this to help me get ideas. I still haven't built that straw bale, but it's planned and plotted out on graph paper. I love this book!
James Eckman
Oct 12, 2015 James Eckman rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, diy
A bit dated, this field is rapidly evolving.
Elisa Berry
Jan 09, 2012 Elisa Berry rated it really liked it
A great first glimpse into building a straw bale structure. I wouldn't go taking on house construction with this book alone but, it's a good idea of the possibilities. However, since I already have a house to live in, I am thinking of building a dog house with this book as a guide. Lucky pooches!
DearMYRTLE
Dec 17, 2007 DearMYRTLE rated it it was amazing
I am considering buying property, and building a straw bale home. However, I believe one should participate in a training/building seminar before attempting this.

Alternative housing sources, which reduce one's impact on the world's resources is a high priority for me.

Patricia
Jan 02, 2013 Patricia rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
While I'm probably never going to build a straw-bale house, this book is going into my "resources for post-apocalypse rebuilding" collection. There is good information about foundations, windows and doors, roofing options, and more that make this a keeper.
Meaghan
Nov 16, 2010 Meaghan rated it liked it
This sounds like a weird book to reccommend... but it has some really great diagrams and everything! This is great if you're designing an energy-efficient house!
Ashleigh Hebert
May 18, 2009 Ashleigh Hebert rated it it was amazing
Extremely interesting, and very clear. I know nothing about carpentry, and this book explained straw-bale construction in such a way that I could understand.
Robert Houston
Jul 03, 2009 Robert Houston rated it liked it
Very good book on technique, somewhat dated as far as resources but still a great reference if you are just starting
Promise Ceasar
Mar 21, 2012 Promise Ceasar rated it it was amazing
Very informative!
Paul Baribeau
Paul Baribeau is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2016
Patrick Vatai
Patrick Vatai marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Francisco
Francisco marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Andrea
Andrea is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2016
Christiane
Christiane is currently reading it
Nov 16, 2015
Guartok
Guartok rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2015
Iman
Iman marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
K.O.
K.O. marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Padera
Padera added it
Jun 06, 2015
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Marcu
Marcu added it
May 05, 2015
Rashan
Rashan marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Gary
Gary rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2015
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015