Start by marking “Eudora Welty: Photographs” as Want to Read:
Eudora Welty: Photographs

Eudora Welty: Photographs

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Book by
Published February 1st 1993 by University Press of Mississippi (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Eudora Welty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eudora Welty

Ansel Adams by Ansel AdamsIn Focus by Leah Bendavid-ValThe Americans by Robert FrankBrassai by BrassaïNan Goldin by Nan Goldin
Exceptional Photography Books*
105th out of 381 books — 127 voters
Catching the Big Fish by David LynchBook of Longing by Leonard CohenEdith Wharton's Italian Gardens by Vivian RussellMichelangelo Life, Letters, and Poetry by Michelangelo BuonarrotiShe Was Nice To Mice by Alexandra Elizabeth Sheedy
Doubly Gifted
20th out of 129 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Reynolds Price, in the introduction of this luminous book of Eudora Welty's "snapshot" photographs, quotes her as revealing:

" wish, indeed my continuing passion, would be not to point the finger in judgment but to part a curtain, that invisible shadow that falls between people, the veil of indifference to each other's presence, each other's wonder, each other's human plight."

These snapshots do just that -- they part the curtains. (Welty had little photographic training and did not stage her
This is one of my favorite photography books ever. Welty's work is similar to the FSA photographers' photos (especially since it was done during the same time) but she brings an insider's eye to the subject of the South. There is also powerful and almost mystical feel to her photographs of women. Really beautiful.
Photos taken by author Eudora Welty in the 1930s - 1950s.

Saturday Off/Jackson (15.)
New Orleans (54.)
Crystal Springs (73.)
Utica (75.)
Hello and Goodbye/Jackson (84.)
Twin tombstones/Mississippi (98.)
Bird Pageant/Jackson (102.)
Home by dark/Yalobusha County (115.) 1936
Catholic Church/Rodney (118.)
Ruins of Windsor/Port Gibson (119.) 1942
Sideshow, State Fair/Jackson (139.) 1939
Hattie Carnegie show window/New York City (155.)
Katherine Anne Porter/Yaddo (205.)
Lehman Engel/Jackson (216.)
Cynthia Garza
An Era brought to life. A must-read to understand why the Civil Rights movement had to come into being.
Welty's photographs reverberate with her writing by showing us life in snapshots. Her work seems to show a person in a particular moment, sometimes without context, but still imaginatively, beautifully, and insightfully.
Sam Jasper
Although Welty is best known for her writing, her photographs are revealing, compassionate and stunning. I never tire of leafing through this book. I always notice some new detail.
I don't know about the book, but I own this photo. Perhaps my rating reflects my Mississippi roots, but so be it. Other photographs I have seen by Welty are of equal quality.
Found in a used bookstore in Alma, new Brunswick! Perfect addition to the study of Eudora Welty!
Margie Ferguson
I love that Welty captured these people and their lives in photos in addition to words.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Dale marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Karen Johnston
Karen Johnston marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Elena marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Eugene Goodale
Eugene Goodale marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Megan marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Marylou marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Jennifer Pino
Jennifer Pino marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Crissy marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Yoake marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
MUHAMAD AZIZUL marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
  • Nan Goldin: The Other Side 1972-1992
  • Vivian Maier: Street Photographer
  • Street Photography Now
  • Bystander: A History of Street Photography
  • Looking at Photographs: 100 Pictures from the Collection of the Museum of Modern Art
  • The Architect's Brother
  • Mapplethorpe
Eudora Alice Welty was an award-winning American author who wrote short stories and novels about the American South. Her book The Optimist's Daughter won the Pulitzer Prize in 1973 and she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, among numerous awards. She was the first living author to have her works published by the Library of America.

Welty was born in Jackson, Mississippi, and lived a sig
More about Eudora Welty...