Start by marking “Eudora Welty: Photographs” as Want to Read:
Eudora Welty: Photographs

Eudora Welty: Photographs

4.55 of 5 stars 4.55  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Book by
Published February 1st 1993 by University Press of Mississippi (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Eudora Welty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eudora Welty

Ansel Adams by Ansel AdamsBrassai by BrassaïThe Americans by Robert FrankIn Focus by Leah Bendavid-ValA History of Women Photographers by Naomi Rosenblum
Exceptional Photography Books*
102nd out of 344 books — 101 voters
Catching the Big Fish by David LynchBook of Longing by Leonard CohenEdith Wharton's Italian Gardens by Vivian RussellMichelangelo Life, Letters, and Poetry by Michelangelo BuonarrotiShe Was Nice To Mice by Alexandra Elizabeth Sheedy
Doubly Gifted
19th out of 127 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

janine
Reynolds Price, in the introduction of this luminous book of Eudora Welty's "snapshot" photographs, quotes her as revealing:

"...my wish, indeed my continuing passion, would be not to point the finger in judgment but to part a curtain, that invisible shadow that falls between people, the veil of indifference to each other's presence, each other's wonder, each other's human plight."

These snapshots do just that -- they part the curtains. (Welty had little photographic training and did not stage her
Emily
This is one of my favorite photography books ever. Welty's work is similar to the FSA photographers' photos (especially since it was done during the same time) but she brings an insider's eye to the subject of the South. There is also powerful and almost mystical feel to her photographs of women. Really beautiful.
Ginger
Photos taken by author Eudora Welty in the 1930s - 1950s.

Favorites:
Saturday Off/Jackson (15.)
New Orleans (54.)
Crystal Springs (73.)
Utica (75.)
Hello and Goodbye/Jackson (84.)
Twin tombstones/Mississippi (98.)
Bird Pageant/Jackson (102.)
Home by dark/Yalobusha County (115.) 1936
Catholic Church/Rodney (118.)
Ruins of Windsor/Port Gibson (119.) 1942
Sideshow, State Fair/Jackson (139.) 1939
Hattie Carnegie show window/New York City (155.)
Katherine Anne Porter/Yaddo (205.)
Lehman Engel/Jackson (216.)
Westches
Hilary
Welty's photographs reverberate with her writing by showing us life in snapshots. Her work seems to show a person in a particular moment, sometimes without context, but still imaginatively, beautifully, and insightfully.
Sam Jasper
Although Welty is best known for her writing, her photographs are revealing, compassionate and stunning. I never tire of leafing through this book. I always notice some new detail.
Virginia
I don't know about the book, but I own this photo. Perhaps my rating reflects my Mississippi roots, but so be it. Other photographs I have seen by Welty are of equal quality.
Brynn
Found in a used bookstore in Alma, new Brunswick! Perfect addition to the study of Eudora Welty!
Margie Ferguson
I love that Welty captured these people and their lives in photos in addition to words.
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
James Mahoney
James Mahoney marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Natalie Hall
Natalie Hall marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Kenzie Pea
Kenzie Pea marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Daniela Urquia
Daniela Urquia marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Heidi Kuchta
Heidi Kuchta marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Amanda Quental
Amanda Quental marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
V
V marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Laquette Hamilton
Laquette Hamilton marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Jen Lawless
Jen Lawless marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
  • Mapplethorpe
  • Richard Avedon Portraits
  • My Florence: A 70-Year Love Story
  • Nan Goldin: The Other Side 1972-1992
Eudora Alice Welty was an award-winning American author who wrote short stories and novels about the American South. Her book The Optimist's Daughter won the Pulitzer Prize in 1973 and she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, among numerous awards. She was the first living author to have her works published by the Library of America.

Welty was born in Jackson, Mississippi, and lived a sig
More about Eudora Welty...
The Collected Stories The Optimist's Daughter One Writer's Beginnings (William E.Massey Senior Lectures in the History of American Civilization) (The William E. Massey Sr. Lectures in the History of American Civilization) Delta Wedding The Ponder Heart