Start by marking “Big Vegan: 400 Recipes: No Meat, No Dairy, All Delicious” as Want to Read:
Big Vegan: 400 Recipes: No Meat, No Dairy, All Delicious

Big Vegan: 400 Recipes: No Meat, No Dairy, All Delicious

Veganism has been steadily moving toward the mainstream as more and more people become aware of its many benefits. Even burger-loving omnivores are realizing that adding more plant-based foods to their diet is good for their health and the environment. Big Vegan satisfies both the casual meat eater and the dedicated herbivore with more than 350 delicious, easy-to-prepare v ...more
ebook
Published September 7th 2011 by Chronicle Books LLC (first published July 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Big Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Vegan

Melissa
Oct 25, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, want-to-buy
What a great cookbook! So many recipes, and of the two dozen or so that we've made so far, all of them have been delicious. Will definitely be buying this for the kitchen library.
RH Walters
Mar 25, 2013 RH Walters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Food poems that you can eat. One of my favorites is the potato salad Provencal that includes artichoke hearts, celery, parsley, olives, capers, garlic, lemon and onion. Hungry now?
P.
Feb 15, 2016 P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery-bookery
I've been hoarding this library book at my house. It has some really nice salads and fantastic sides - lots of spreads that you can make, put on toast with an avocado, and have a lunch. I haven't really gotten into the mains or the baking, but I see myself coming back to it in the future. It has a ton of sauces & condiments, like mushroom gravy, raita, vegan mayo, etc, and different enticing granolas and breakfast stuffs.

Things I made:
- Smoky Maple-Tempeh "bacon" - for when you want to be fa
T
Jan 24, 2016 T rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of these recipes are great (like the baguette French toast with sautéed apples and cream cheese; easy and delicious) HOWEVER there are many issues with this cook book:

1) Not enough pictures, too much text.
2) some recipes have only 2 steps listed, but each sentence in the dense paragraph of each "step" could really be a bullet point in itself. The author crams too many instructions into one "step"
3) Many of these recipes have healthy ingredients, but the end result isn't that healthy. They
Kat Dornian
Mar 03, 2013 Kat Dornian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I've tried several recipes from this cookbook and it has to receive a huge thumbs up. The vegan information at the beginning is brief but still manages to cover the important bases. I don't agree with everything Asbell states in there but that's more a matter of opinion. She writes in a welcoming and open way. I love the information about flavours and vegan fats and sugars. I actually learned some great kitchen tips for anything, not just vegan cooking. My biggest complaint is that the book is n ...more
Joy Urban
I got this because I had seen a couple recipes from this book on the internet and wanted to see more, and I think it's interesting to use alternative ingredients. Also, I'm trying to eat less animal derivatives because I know it's healthier (and kinder). Anyways, a lot of these are pretty tasty.

Although I will admit to cheating a little bit: a lot of the ingredients can be pretty expensive, and I have such an aversion to tequila that blue agave syrup makes me gag, so I just used normal sugar :X
Tamara
The title doesn't lie. This thing is BIG. It would take forever to try every recipe in here.

A good mix of recipes with hands-on ingredients along with some "out of the way" ingredients. Some recipes with crazy long ingredients lists and some with less than 4.

Recipes I'll probably try:
Crispy Sesame Kale
Almond-Apple-Date Breakfast Burrito
Sweet Pot
Jacqueline Mackenzie
I have over 300 cookbooks because I gave up eating meat in 1979. I have owned a meat-free restaurant and I LOVE to cook. I my opinion, Robin Asbell is the finest mentor for the world. She covers most cultural bases, but always with her own "twist." I am considering giving away my other books because Robin is my "Vegan Kitchen Goddess." I don't need anyone else.
Jenny Kim
Apr 18, 2016 Jenny Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is solid Vegan cookbook in that it has inventive and new recipes that work and are tasty. It also has vegan alternative recipes of classic meat based recipes for those who would like to recreate dishes they used to love.
I just wish there were more photos and better quality at that (They look dated) and that there are with the recipes.
Westerville
Nov 25, 2011 Westerville rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adults, non-fiction
If you're going vegan, I would imagine this cookbook would take you from beginner through immediate and into advanced over the course of a few years. - Tamara, Web Content Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Don
Jan 24, 2012 Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great cookbook that experienced vegan cooks and those new to vegan cooking can use with ease. Some recipes are very unique and some are not so unique and common, but all are delicious. It is a bargain for the price in that it's huge, with over 350 recipes total.
S
Aug 14, 2014 S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has so much good, basic info and also features inventive recipes based from every corner of the world.
Dhali
Nov 10, 2013 Dhali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Have made several recipes from and they've all been good. I like the way the recipes are laid out and it's become one of my most used cookbooks
Paul Busch
Nov 06, 2013 Paul Busch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every recipe I've tried so far has been delicious. This is a huge collection of recipes, and most are reasonably easy to make.
David L. VanHyning
David L. VanHyning rated it really liked it
May 01, 2015
Alma
Alma rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2016
Cody lane Bryant
Cody lane Bryant rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2017
Corie
Corie rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2012
Kisha Smith
Kisha Smith rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Stevie
Stevie rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2014
PowerMessenger
PowerMessenger rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2015
Virginie
Virginie rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
erika
erika rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2012
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Jennifer S. Rubin
Jennifer S. Rubin rated it it was ok
Oct 31, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2011
Jannina Guzmán
Jannina Guzmán rated it really liked it
May 07, 2015
Vanessa Jalil
Vanessa Jalil rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Add cover art 3 14 Jul 06, 2016 04:49AM
  • Party Vegan
  • Blissful Bites: Vegan Meals That Nourish Mind, Body, and Planet
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods
  • Let Them Eat Vegan!: 200 Deliciously Satisfying Plant-Powered Recipes for the Whole Family
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • Pure Vegan: 70 Recipes for Beautiful Meals and Clean Living
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Japanese Cooking - Contemporary & Traditional: Simple, Delicious, and Vegan
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
  • Caribbean Vegan: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Authentic Island Cuisine for Every Occasion
  • Triumph of the Lentil: Soy-Free Vegan Wholefoods for All Appetites
  • The Indian Vegan Kitchen: More Than 150 Quick and Healthy Homestyle Recipes
  • Vegan Lunch Box Around the World: 125 Easy, International Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love!