What Ever Happened to Orson Welles?

What Ever Happened to Orson Welles?

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  3 reviews
At twenty-five, Orson Welles (1915-1985) directed, co-wrote, and starred in Citizen Kane, widely considered the best film ever made. But Welles was such a revolutionary filmmaker that he found himself at odds with the Hollywood studio system. His work was so far ahead of its time that he never regained the wide popular following he had once enjoyed as a young actor-directo...more
Published October 13th 2006 by University Press of Kentucky (first published January 1st 1975)

John
Apr 01, 2013 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: cinema
I've been watching all Orson Welles movies in the past month or so, and I decided to enhance my viewing by reading a this book. I actually wanted to read more in depth about every single movie, but that's not what this book is about.

The author does cover all his movies, and what happened around them, but his main focus are his own experiences as an actor in Welles's unreleased film The Other Side of the Wind.

However, thanks to his close relationship with the director, we do get a picture of We...more
John
An excellent retelling of a life few people actually know. Here McBride gives a scholarly account of a life often told through misconceived rumors. Welles was not the screw up most people thought him to be, but was actually very artistic, industrious, and hard working. McBride's writing is good here, serving to decloud misperceptions rather than to tell a story. Often times it jumps about, following a non-linear fashion.
Eleanore
I'd certainly like to read more on Welles, but this seems a great place to start. Thorough and relatively even-handed as far as biographies go, which is rare when it comes to this particular subject.
Mahesh
Mahesh marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Shawn Evans
Shawn Evans marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2013
D.R. Haney
D.R. Haney marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2012
Nadya
Nadya marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2012
Keith Knapp
Keith Knapp marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2012
Roob
Roob added it
Mar 22, 2011
Searching for John Ford Steven Spielberg: A Biography Writing in Pictures: Screenwriting Made (Mostly) Painless Orson Welles Frank Capra: The Catastrophe of Success