Start by marking “The Chaos of Stars” as Want to Read:
The Chaos of Stars

The Chaos of Stars

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  3,509 ratings  ·  687 reviews
Kiersten White, New York Times bestselling author of Paranormalcy, is back with The Chaos of Stars—an enchanting novel set in Egypt and San Diego that captures the magic of first love and the eternally complicated truth about family.

Isadora's family is seriously screwed up—which comes with the territory when you're the human daughter of the ancient Egyptian gods Isis and O...more
Published September 10th 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Chaos of Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chaos of Stars

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
85th out of 1,512 books — 10,257 voters
Fangirl by Rainbow RowellThe Dream Thieves by Maggie StiefvaterThe Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly BlackAll Our Yesterdays by Cristin TerrillThis Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales
September 2013 YA & Adult Book Releases to Obsess Over!
6th out of 77 books — 205 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May

DNF. I read about a quarter of it and my feelings went something like: boring, boring, boring, offensive, boring, boring... ooh, look, my cat!

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On Ageless Pages Reviews!

The Accused: The Chaos of Stars' cast, writing, plotting

The Offense(s): Criminal waste of time, cover fraud, squandering a great premise, using cliches and juvenile writing

The Prosecution: Jessie, a disappointed reader

Opening Argument: Ladies and gentleman, I present to you a blurb that promises Egyptian gods, a creative new take for young adult supernatural fiction, and an interesting plot. The Chaos of Stars delivers Egyptian gods, s...more
Jon
Check out Scott Reads It
I wanted to enjoy The Chaos Of The Stars, I really did. I loved the description and cover for this book but I can't bear to read any more of this drivel. I'm DNFing at 20% for my own sake because this book makes me want to pull out my hair.

Isadora is by far the worst protagonist I've ever read about. Compared to Isadora, Bella Swan is practically literary genius.

Yes Isadora is that bad of a MC. She made we want to cringe and roll my eyes on every single page. She is c...more
Khanh (Kittens, Rainbows, and Sunshine)
Actual rating: 2.5
I don’t need a new person to suddenly spring up under my skin and push out who I was, who I’ve already decided to be. Those feelings have no place in my life and I will not let myself be a fool in love, with love, let it take over and destroy me.
It would be so easy for me to list what I disliked about this book, and rant about what a little bitch Isadora is and how much I hated her, but it's not so simple as that. You will get no arguments from me that our main character is...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Thanks to Edelweiss and HarperTeen for providing me with an ARC of this book.

1.5 Stars

Okay, so ... I admit, I became curious about this book because the cover is freaking beautiful. I was scrolling through my Goodreads newsfeed and suddenly I was like OOH OOH, WHAT'S THAT.

I look it up and find out it involves Egyptian mythology. I LOVE EGYPTIAN MYTHOLOGY.

I still kind of have my doubts, because I see that so far the reviews haven't been so positive. But I go to request it on Edelweiss anyway, and...more
Louisa
I kept a rigorous set of journals from the ages of 12 to 15. I wrote in them almost every day - I even got my friends to contribute little conversations when we sat together in class or hung out together. I tried going through them one day sometime last year, only to discover how terribly juvenile they all were, but hey, I was a tween!

Reading The Chaos of Stars felt somewhat like rereading those old diaries. Difference is, Isadora was a full 5 years my senior at the time of writing those diaries...more
Kat O'Keeffe
Overall I liked this book, but not as much as I enjoyed Kiersten's previous books. This is mostly because I had a lot of trouble relating to the main character, Isadora. She's very angry and stubborn, and while I do understand her perspective to an extent, I couldn't really get on her side. Of course, over the novel she grows and changes, but it was still hard trying to like her in the beginning.

Once I got further into the story, I did start to enjoy it more. I liked the cast of secondary charac...more
Elizabeth
Mar 01, 2013 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
as the human daughter of Egyptian gods.........Egyptian gods.....Egyptian
SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!
 photo tumblr_mgsax39Nft1qkcn5ro8_r1_250_zps80cc862d.gif

THE COVER,GORGEOUS COVER!!!!
 photo tumblr_inline_mgzxf14yRl1qhnvno_zps0a4067bd.gif
Ashley
Nose Graze — Young Adult book reviews

I am hugely disappointed by The Chaos of Stars , mainly because I'm a HUGE fan of Egyptian mythology. But the book really fell flat for me. Let me break it down for you:

Isadora, human daughter of Egyptian gods, hates her family because she feels like they use her to generate worship so that they won't die.
Isadora moves to San Diego.
Isadora becomes addicted to sugar and Coke (Coca Cola.. not like... cocaine).
Isadora works at a museum and makes some frie...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Clearly the gods of beautiful covers feel very benevolent towards Kiersten White. Her Mind Games cover is simply gorgeous, but this one is even better because it’s actually connected to the story. I love the night sky and all those stunning stars…

Okay, moving on to more important matters now.

When I first learned what The Chaos of Stars was about, I was afraid the pitiful sum of my knowledge on Egyptian mythology would cause me to do this book injustice. But instead of making me feel like the id...more
Stephanie ♥Loves Adrian Ivashkov♥
First of all, I apologize for the extremely long review but I had so much to say! I hope it doesn't scare people off. *-*

I got this book really early from the lovely people at Edelweiss and HarperTeen. So thank you!
I couldn't believe it at first actually because I hadn't known about this book for very long. I saw it on Goodreads only the week before and my eyes almost fell out of their sockets because of the gorgeous cover (I might even buy the print book once it comes out because I love the cov...more
Blythe
Apr 05, 2013 Blythe marked it as to-read-maybe
I will only--and I mean only--be reading this one if it receives four stars or higher from trusted friends of mine.

Rest assured I won't be holding my breath--nor would I release it having not known I was holding it, which is something White's characters seem to have an annoying habit of doing.
Howdy YAL
To see full review click here.

Disclaimer: I received an ARC from Harper Teen/ Edelweiss this has not affected my opinion of this book. I am also not a book archeologist or am claiming to be a doctor of any kind even though I have a JD which is technically a doctorate most people don't call me doctor unless they're my aunt.

From the Diaries of Dr. MJ---book archeologist: in LucasFilm's set for Ancient Egypt (hey, I need something more dramatic than my storage unit)

I made a strange discovery today...more
Nick
Aug 27, 2013 Nick rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc

Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog.

Although Kiersten White's previous novel, Mind Games, did not work for me at all, I still decided to give The Chaos of Stars a try because it has a stunning title, a gorgeous cover and a background brimming with potential. While the book started off with a lot of promise, it failed to live up to the maximum potential because of flaws in the characterization and the world-building.

The Chaos of Stars' main character, Isadora was not my favorite main char...more
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Great book filled with mythology, humor, romance, and adventure.

Opening Sentence: When I was a little girl, I still believed I was part of the world’s secret magic.

The Review:

Isadora is your average 16 year old girl except for the fact that her parents are Egyptian gods. Her mother is Isis the goddess of motherhood and her father is Osiris god of the underworld. Even though her parents are immortal Isadora is not. Isadora grew up thinking s...more
Elaine
Feb 11, 2013 Elaine marked it as to-read
Oh, PLEASE BE GOOD.
It has Egyptian mythology, a very enticing name and a GORGEOUS COVER.

I need this to be awesome, please?
little machines

I understand completely why so many people DNF'd this book or gave it low ratings, because Kiersten White's writing style may be quite annoying for some people. But, being a fan of her Paranormalcy books, I never minded her writing style because I thought it had a very distinct teenage-girl-ness to it, and it just added to the fluffy tone of the type of books she tends to write. There is still a smidgen of that fluffiness and charm that White's previous series had in this book, but . . . I don'...more
Mary (BookHounds)

MY THOUGHTS
ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT

So what do you do when your mother, Isis is THE goddess of life and your father, Osiris, is THE god of death? As a sixteen year old, Isadora wants nothing more than for her parents that she literally worships, to pay attention to her. She also has epic family issues that make a soap opera look like child's play. Her aunt slept with her father and she has a half-brother, Anubis, who is all evil from that union. Her oldest broth...more
Misty
3.5
I've said many, many times before that I think Kiersten White is a good funk-breaker author. I look forward to her stories, especially when I have a lot on my plate, because I know I'll tear through them, they'll keep me entertained, and they'll jumpstart a good reading kick. They just get me in the zone; she has this quality to her writing that draws you along and makes you keep turning pages - even when it's flawed, it goes down like candy.

But surprisingly, The Chaos of Starsdidn't quite...more
Ashley Chen
Feb 12, 2013 Ashley Chen marked it as to-read
Egyptian?! HELLA YES! I shall bust out my knowledge of Ancient Egypt from my grade 11 Ancient History class! ;)

GORGEOUS COVEERR!!!! I LITERALLY WANTED TO POST THIS COVER BECAUSE I WANT IT TO PRETTIFIED MY BLOG. Gosh it is magnificent! It is simple, but unique, gorgeous but chaotic! UGHHH! LOVEEEEE!!! BEST COVER I HAVE SEEN IN A LOOOONNNNG TIME!!! It included this MG feel (I can't explain it but I tend to like MG covers better since they are more unique and detail-y beautiful), but it is still YA...more
Jessica
So nice to see the Egyptian gods getting some play! A fun story, and White's writing is excellent: you felt like you were touching and smelling and tasting everything Isadora was. I am not a romancy person, and this is a very romantic book, but I enjoyed it despite myself.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review originally appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

The Chaos of the Stars is a book that I really wanted to love, but sadly didn’t. It is set in Egypt which is pretty much my favourite dream destination ever, and features Egyptian gods and goddesses, with the main character, Isadora as a daughter of Isis and Osiris. Unfortunately, something about the light, quirky re-imagining of the gods and goddesses just didn’t sit well with me.

I really enjoyed the beginning whe...more
Katie
The Chaos of Stars has brought me out of my mediocre reading spree. While I adored the Paranormalcy trilogy, I wasn't sure how I would feel about The Chaos of Stars. It's a very different story from Paranormalcy but I'm happy to say that I enjoyed it just as much!

What do you get when you combine Egyptian mythology, a kick ass heroine, one of the most perfect guys in YA, and Kiersten White's sense of humor? The answer: perfection. Seriously. The Chaos of Stars surprised me in the best way possibl...more
Mitchii
My sister was laughing at me when I said that closest to Egyptian mythology that I know is Yu-Gi-Oh by Kazuki Takahashi (the original one not the series after it). I mean there’s Osiris and Isis in there that could count on something right? Now, I don’t know if I should be thankful that I have extreme low knowledge with Egyptian mythology therefore I cannot validate how the author integrated it in the story. Some people are picky and sometimes I’m one of them. And this time I wish I know just en...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Genre* YA Fantasy
*Rating* 3

*My Thoughts*

The Chaos of the Stars is a standalone novel by Kiersten White, the author of the Paranormalcy trilogy and as well as the Mind Games duology. The story is told in the first POV by 16 year old Isadora, human daughter to Isis, the goddess of motherhood and Osiris, god of the underworld, who just wants to be relevant and not treated like she doesn’t really matter.

After having had a plethora of feels for Mind Games when it was released last year, The Chaos of...more
Kristen
This review and others on my blog My Friends Are Fiction

Actual Rating 2.5
The Story:
There were elements of The Chaos of Stars that were very interesting, mostly concerning the Egyptian mythology. Unfortunately, the other aspects were less enthralling and not a lot stood out. The pacing was very slow and this book lacked the action of White’s Paranormalcy series. There was never a need for me to rush through the pages seeking the outcome.

I think this might have been a character driven book? I c...more
Anne
Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for a copy of this book.

Here on Goodreads, you'll see some fairly low ratings for this book, but I don't think they're necessarily deserved. I actually thought this one was pretty entertaining.
However.
Don't go into it expecting it to be an epic journey into mythological Egypt. No, it more of a story about growing up and realizing that just because your parents aren't perfect, doesn't mean they don't love you.

The older I (and my children) get, the...more
Amy
I've been a fan of Kiersten's from the day Paranormalcy was published. I thoroughly enjoyed that series. I was intrigued (and a little freaked out) by Mind Games. Which reminds me... I need that sequel soon!! But this book, this is Kiersten's best book so far!!

Mythology, sarcasm, adventure, romance, and good food... I'm not sure I could ask for more in a book!!

Oh wait, there's also the really flawed and broken main character that is figuring out who she is and what she wants from life.

And the...more
Jacob Proffitt
This book was really fun despite a bit of a lag in the late middle. I like White's heroines and Isadora is no exception. They're take-charge, willful, dynamic girls who are thoroughly human, even when they aren't.

I'm a little less enthusiastic at the use of Egyptian gods for the story. The crux of the background has Egypt's pantheon greatly reduced in modern times--which simplifies the cast (and suspect) list but also makes the Egyptian part of the tale feel a bit claustrophobic at times. That f...more
Jen Ryland
Sep 19, 2013 Jen Ryland added it
Shelves: edelweiss
I enjoyed the first book in the Paranormalcy series and thought that Mind Games had some really intriguing aspects, so I had high hopes for this.

Isadora, the heroine, didn't have any of Evie's appealing spunk and vulnerability. She does a lot of pouting and sulking after finding out that her parents -- the Egyptian gods Isis and Osiris -- were expecting a new baby. And she broods endlessly about the fact that she's mortal.

She goes to stay with her brother in San Diego, where she volunteers at a...more
  • The Lost Sun (The United States of Asgard, #1)
  • The Brokenhearted (The Brokenhearted #1)
  • The Night Itself (The Name of the Blade, #1)
  • Antigoddess (Goddess War, #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Starry Nights
  • Blackout (Blackout, #1)
  • Vengeance Bound
  • Furious
  • Prophecy (The Dragon King Chronicles, #1)
  • 3:59
  • Not a Drop to Drink (Not a Drop to Drink, #1)
  • All Our Pretty Songs (All Our Pretty Songs, #1)
  • Tumble & Fall
  • Some Quiet Place (Some Quiet Place, #1)
  • City of a Thousand Dolls (Bhinian Empire, #1)
  • Ashes on the Waves
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
Hi! I'm the New York Times best-selling author of Paranormalcy and Supernaturally. I also give the most awkward hugs in the world. You should probably opt for one of my books over one of my hugs, but then again, maybe you like awkward hugs.

As for me, I like writing flirting scenes, and fighting scenes, and sometimes I write scenes that fall somewhere in between the two, but only if I can't avoid i...more
More about Kiersten White...
Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2) Endlessly (Paranormalcy, #3) Mind Games (Mind Games, #1) Perfect Lies (Mind Games, #2)

“And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.” 320 likes
“I didn't fall in love with you. I walked into love with you, with my eyes wide open, choosing to take every step along the way. I do believe in fate and destiny, but I also believe we are only fated to do the things that we'd choose anyway. And I'd choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I'd find you and I'd choose you” 205 likes