Start by marking “The Chaos of Stars” as Want to Read:
The Chaos of Stars

The Chaos of Stars

3.6  ·  Rating Details ·  6,421 Ratings  ·  1,089 Reviews
Kiersten White, New York Times bestselling author of Paranormalcy, is back with The Chaos of Stars—an enchanting novel set in Egypt and San Diego that captures the magic of first love and the eternally complicated truth about family.

Isadora's family is seriously screwed up—which comes with the territory when you're the human daughter of the ancient Egyptian gods Isis and O
Published September 10th 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Chaos of Stars, please sign up.

Holly Depends what you are looking for. It's a light, quick read. As other reviewers have said, it's more about teen angst than about mythology.

Emily May

DNF. I read about a quarter of it and my feelings went something like: boring, boring, boring, offensive, boring, boring... ooh, look, my cat!

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On Ageless Pages Reviews!

The Accused: The Chaos of Stars' cast, writing, plotting

The Offense(s): Criminal waste of time, cover fraud, squandering a great premise, using cliches and juvenile writing

The Prosecution: Jessie, a disappointed reader

Opening Argument: Ladies and gentleman, I present to you a blurb that promises Egyptian gods, a creative new take for young adult supernatural fiction, and an interesting plot. The Chaos of Stars delivers Egyptian gods, s
Jon
Check out Scott Reads It
I wanted to enjoy The Chaos Of The Stars, I really did. I loved the description and cover for this book but I can't bear to read any more of this drivel. I'm DNFing at 20% for my own sake because this book makes me want to pull out my hair.

Isadora is by far the worst protagonist I've ever read about. Compared to Isadora, Bella Swan is practically literary genius.

Yes Isadora is that bad of a MC. She made we want to cringe and roll my eyes on every single page. She is c
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Thanks to Edelweiss and HarperTeen for providing me with an ARC of this book.

1.5 Stars

Okay, so ... I admit, I became curious about this book because the cover is freaking beautiful. I was scrolling through my Goodreads newsfeed and suddenly I was like OOH OOH, WHAT'S THAT.

I look it up and find out it involves Egyptian mythology. I LOVE EGYPTIAN MYTHOLOGY.

I still kind of have my doubts, because I see that so far the reviews haven't been so positive. But I go to request it on Edelweiss anyway, and
Khanh (the Grinch)
Actual rating: 2.5
I don’t need a new person to suddenly spring up under my skin and push out who I was, who I’ve already decided to be. Those feelings have no place in my life and I will not let myself be a fool in love, with love, let it take over and destroy me.
It would be so easy for me to list what I disliked about this book, and rant about what a little bitch Isadora is and how much I hated her, but it's not so simple as that. You will get no arguments from me that our main character i
Louisa
I kept a rigorous set of journals from the ages of 12 to 15. I wrote in them almost every day - I even got my friends to contribute little conversations when we sat together in class or hung out together. I tried going through them one day sometime last year, only to discover how terribly juvenile they all were, but hey, I was a tween!

Reading The Chaos of Stars felt somewhat like rereading those old diaries. Difference is, Isadora was a full 5 years my senior at the time of writing those diaries
Anne
Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for a copy of this book.

Here on Goodreads, you'll see some fairly low ratings for this book, but I don't think they're necessarily deserved. I actually thought this one was pretty entertaining.
However.
Don't go into it expecting it to be an epic journey into mythological Egypt. No, it more of a story about growing up and realizing that just because your parents aren't perfect, doesn't mean they don't love you.

The older I (and my children) get, the
Kat O'Keeffe
Sep 02, 2013 Kat O'Keeffe rated it liked it
Overall I liked this book, but not as much as I enjoyed Kiersten's previous books. This is mostly because I had a lot of trouble relating to the main character, Isadora. She's very angry and stubborn, and while I do understand her perspective to an extent, I couldn't really get on her side. Of course, over the novel she grows and changes, but it was still hard trying to like her in the beginning.

Once I got further into the story, I did start to enjoy it more. I liked the cast of secondary charac
Ashley
Jun 13, 2012 Ashley rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, e-arc
Nose Graze — Young Adult book reviews

I am hugely disappointed by The Chaos of Stars , mainly because I'm a HUGE fan of Egyptian mythology. But the book really fell flat for me. Let me break it down for you:

Isadora, human daughter of Egyptian gods, hates her family because she feels like they use her to generate worship so that they won't die.
Isadora moves to San Diego.
Isadora becomes addicted to sugar and Coke (Coca Cola.. not like... cocaine).
Isadora works at a museum and makes some fr
Elizabeth
Feb 22, 2013 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
as the human daughter of Egyptian gods.........Egyptian gods.....Egyptian
SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!
 photo tumblr_mgsax39Nft1qkcn5ro8_r1_250_zps80cc862d.gif

THE COVER,GORGEOUS COVER!!!!
 photo tumblr_inline_mgzxf14yRl1qhnvno_zps0a4067bd.gif
Stephanie (Bookfever.♥)
First of all, I apologize for the extremely long review but I had so much to say! I hope it doesn't scare people off. *-*

I got this book really early from the lovely people at Edelweiss and HarperTeen. So thank you!
I couldn't believe it at first actually because I hadn't known about this book for very long. I saw it on Goodreads only the week before and my eyes almost fell out of their sockets because of the gorgeous cover (I might even buy the print book once it comes out because I love the cov
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Clearly the gods of beautiful covers feel very benevolent towards Kiersten White. Her Mind Games cover is simply gorgeous, but this one is even better because it’s actually connected to the story. I love the night sky and all those stunning stars…

Okay, moving on to more important matters now.

When I first learned what The Chaos of Stars was about, I was afraid the pitiful sum of my knowledge on Egyptian mythology would cause me to do this book injustice. But instead of making me feel like the id
MJ
To see full review click here.

Disclaimer: I received an ARC from Harper Teen/ Edelweiss this has not affected my opinion of this book. I am also not a book archeologist or am claiming to be a doctor of any kind even though I have a JD which is technically a doctorate most people don't call me doctor unless they're my aunt.

From the Diaries of Dr. MJ---book archeologist: in LucasFilm's set for Ancient Egypt (hey, I need something more dramatic than my storage unit)

I made a strange discovery today
Blythe
Mar 02, 2013 Blythe marked it as to-read-maybe
I will only--and I mean only--be reading this one if it receives four stars or higher from trusted friends of mine.

Rest assured I won't be holding my breath--nor would I release it having not known I was holding it, which is something White's characters seem to have an annoying habit of doing.
Dark Faerie Tales
Apr 21, 2013 Dark Faerie Tales rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Great book filled with mythology, humor, romance, and adventure.

Opening Sentence: When I was a little girl, I still believed I was part of the world’s secret magic.

The Review:

Isadora is your average 16 year old girl except for the fact that her parents are Egyptian gods. Her mother is Isis the goddess of motherhood and her father is Osiris god of the underworld. Even though her parents are immortal Isadora is not. Isadora grew up thinking s
nick
Mar 20, 2013 nick rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc

Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog.

Although Kiersten White's previous novel, Mind Games, did not work for me at all, I still decided to give The Chaos of Stars a try because it has a stunning title, a gorgeous cover and a background brimming with potential. While the book started off with a lot of promise, it failed to live up to the maximum potential because of flaws in the characterization and the world-building.

The Chaos of Stars' main character, Isadora was not my favorite main char
Mary (BookHounds)

MY THOUGHTS
ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT

So what do you do when your mother, Isis is THE goddess of life and your father, Osiris, is THE god of death? As a sixteen year old, Isadora wants nothing more than for her parents that she literally worships, to pay attention to her. She also has epic family issues that make a soap opera look like child's play. Her aunt slept with her father and she has a half-brother, Anubis, who is all evil from that union. Her oldest broth
shady
Dec 26, 2011 shady rated it liked it

I understand completely why so many people DNF'd this book or gave it low ratings, because Kiersten White's writing style may be quite annoying for some people. But, being a fan of her Paranormalcy books, I never minded her writing style because I thought it had a very distinct teenage-girl-ness to it, and it just added to the fluffy tone of the type of books she tends to write. There is still a smidgen of that fluffiness and charm that White's previous series had in this book, but . . . I don'
Misty
3.5
I've said many, many times before that I think Kiersten White is a good funk-breaker author. I look forward to her stories, especially when I have a lot on my plate, because I know I'll tear through them, they'll keep me entertained, and they'll jumpstart a good reading kick. They just get me in the zone; she has this quality to her writing that draws you along and makes you keep turning pages - even when it's flawed, it goes down like candy.

But surprisingly, The Chaos of Stars didn't qui
Ashley Chen
Jul 02, 2012 Ashley Chen marked it as to-read
Egyptian?! HELLA YES! I shall bust out my knowledge of Ancient Egypt from my grade 11 Ancient History class! ;)

GORGEOUS COVEERR!!!! I LITERALLY WANTED TO POST THIS COVER BECAUSE I WANT IT TO PRETTIFIED MY BLOG. Gosh it is magnificent! It is simple, but unique, gorgeous but chaotic! UGHHH! LOVEEEEE!!! BEST COVER I HAVE SEEN IN A LOOOONNNNG TIME!!! It included this MG feel (I can't explain it but I tend to like MG covers better since they are more unique and detail-y beautiful), but it is still YA
Colleen Houck
First of all I love Ry, also his full name Orion. He's so sweet. Practically perfect in every way. Love the heroine's superpower of interior decorating. I was like, "Yeah, that totally IS how the room should be." I'm not great at it. I'm an I-know-it-when-I-see-it decorator and I'm never good at explaining it. So cool to read another YA about Egypt. Felt like I knew all these gods and goddesses really well and I can really appreciate the story more because of it.
Jessica
Jul 12, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: youngadult, fantasy
So nice to see the Egyptian gods getting some play! A fun story, and White's writing is excellent: you felt like you were touching and smelling and tasting everything Isadora was. I am not a romancy person, and this is a very romantic book, but I enjoyed it despite myself.

Shelley
Mar 20, 2013 Shelley rated it liked it
*Genre* YA Fantasy
*Rating* 3

*My Thoughts*

The Chaos of the Stars is a standalone novel by Kiersten White, the author of the Paranormalcy trilogy and as well as the Mind Games duology. The story is told in the first POV by 16 year old Isadora, human daughter to Isis, the goddess of motherhood and Osiris, god of the underworld, who just wants to be relevant and not treated like she doesn’t really matter.

After having had a plethora of feels for Mind Games when it was released last year, The Chaos of
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review originally appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

The Chaos of the Stars is a book that I really wanted to love, but sadly didn’t. It is set in Egypt which is pretty much my favourite dream destination ever, and features Egyptian gods and goddesses, with the main character, Isadora as a daughter of Isis and Osiris. Unfortunately, something about the light, quirky re-imagining of the gods and goddesses just didn’t sit well with me.

I really enjoyed the beginning whe
Mitchii
My sister was laughing at me when I said that closest to Egyptian mythology that I know is Yu-Gi-Oh by Kazuki Takahashi (the original one not the series after it). I mean there’s Osiris and Isis in there that could count on something right? Now, I don’t know if I should be thankful that I have extreme low knowledge with Egyptian mythology therefore I cannot validate how the author integrated it in the story. Some people are picky and sometimes I’m one of them. And this time I wish I know just en ...more
Katie
Feb 10, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: harperteen, ebook
The Chaos of Stars has brought me out of my mediocre reading spree. While I adored the Paranormalcy trilogy, I wasn't sure how I would feel about The Chaos of Stars. It's a very different story from Paranormalcy but I'm happy to say that I enjoyed it just as much!

What do you get when you combine Egyptian mythology, a kick ass heroine, one of the most perfect guys in YA, and Kiersten White's sense of humor? The answer: perfection. Seriously. The Chaos of Stars surprised me in the best way possibl
Ellis
In all honesty, I purely read this book because the "And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.” quote kept going through my head (blame the severe WestAllen hangover I'm still nursing) and I needed to know what that was about. Based on friends' reactions I knew not to get my hopes up too high though and yeah, this is a mildly enjoyable but shallow story of how a rather dramatic case of teenage rebellion nearly cau ...more
Joanna
May 30, 2016 Joanna rated it it was ok
It's a pretty entertaining YA book, a typical one, with some romance, some teenage angst and... Egyptian gods ;). Sounds as crazy as it is ;). Anyway, it's about letting yourself love other people, being vulnerable, I guess. Not really remarkable or in my favourite style.
Tanisha
May 29, 2016 Tanisha rated it really liked it
This book is a solid 3.5 stars. There were some aspects that I enjoyed but others? Not so much. It's good but not great; tbh it was pretty meh. Review to come
  • The Lost Sun (The United States of Asgard, #1)
  • Antigoddess (Goddess War, #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Ashes on the Waves
  • Revel
  • The Night Itself (The Name of the Blade, #1)
  • Starry Nights
  • Furious
  • Vengeance Bound
  • The Woken Gods
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • City of a Thousand Dolls (Bhinian Empire, #1)
  • Tumble & Fall
  • Student Bodies (Poltergeeks, #2)
  • Mystique
  • The Brokenhearted (The Brokenhearted #1)
  • All Our Pretty Songs (Metamorphoses, #1)
  • The Last Academy
KIERSTEN WHITE is the New York Times bestselling author of the Paranormalcy trilogy; the dark thrillers Mind Games and Perfect Lies; The Chaos of Stars; and Illusions of Fate. She also coauthored In the Shadows with Jim Di Bartolo. She lives with her family near the ocean in San Diego, which, in spite of its perfection, spurs her to dream of faraway places and even further away times. Visit Kierst ...more
More about Kiersten White...

“And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.” 903 likes
“I didn't fall in love with you. I walked into love with you, with my eyes wide open, choosing to take every step along the way. I do believe in fate and destiny, but I also believe we are only fated to do the things that we'd choose anyway. And I'd choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I'd find you and I'd choose you” 701 likes