Start by marking “Youth and the Bright Medusa” as Want to Read:
Youth and the Bright Medusa

Youth and the Bright Medusa

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Willa Cather, best-known as the author of "O Pioneers , My Antonia," and "Death Comes for The Archbishop" published "Youth and the Bright Medusa," a collection of her short fiction, in 1920. According to Alfred Knopf, Cather had been displeased with the dull brown covers of "O Pioneers " and "My Antonia," and upon seeing the bright blue Chinese cloth Knopf had purchased to ...more
Hardcover
Published April 1st 2007 by Aegypan (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Youth and the Bright Medusa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Youth and the Bright Medusa

Sketchbook
If you care for 20thC American Lit, you love Willa Cather. She breaks hearts in a few sentences. Cather tops any American Lit List with Edith Wharton and Scott Fitzgerald. Who else is there on top 20th tier? In spare, concise style she digs into emotions and dreams.

This fine collection includes 'Paul's Case' (lad in midwest plans an escape with No Exit); 'A Wagner Matinee' (elderly aunt fr Nebraska meets nephew in Boston for a final, naked moment at a Wagner concert); 'Coming, Aphrodite!' (a yo
Jenny
The stories in this collection are mostly set in NYC and Boston, and they're all about artists - writers, musicians, sculptors - and their relationship to society. There are stories about glitter, about inspiration, and about expectations. They are all beautifully written.
Barbara Richardson
I reread Cather's short stories every few years. She has a radiant, powerful punch for me which few writers share. "A Wagner Matinee" is brilliant. "Coming, Aphrodite" would make a stunning movie.
Larry Piper
This book is a collection of short stories that Willa Cather published in various periodicals between 1905 and 1920. Four of them, I believe, had previously appeared in an earlier short-story collection, The Troll Garden. With one exception, the stories are about the lives of various artists, mostly female singers, but include one painter, one sculptor, and indirectly, one composer. The stories are written in Cather's calm, but realistic, style. She doesn't much romanticize things, but shows lif ...more
Melody
With four new stories and four previously published in The Troll Garden, I didn't find much new to fall in love with...too many opera stars/famous girls. Of the four new stories (Coming, Aphrodite!, The Diamond Mine, A Gold Slipper, and Scandal) Coming, Aphrodite! was certainly the fullest, with vivid scenes and interesting characters. Of the four republished stories (Paul's Case, A Wagner Matinee, The Sculptor's Funeral, and A Death in the Desert) A Wagner Matinee remains my favorite. It contai ...more
Sveta
Beautiful characterizations, it felt like each story was composed of two or so portraits, they would have very thick and primary coloring. Most of the settings she writes about tend to be portrayed as either full of air and light or dark and rot, environments that typically inspire sort of lacy prose. I like how Cather writes of just human flesh... the interplay of justness/justice in these stories is really great, added a billion more books from Cather to my reading list)))
Katrina
This is a collection of short stories, most of which feature young female opera singers as the main character, but the storylines and settings are all very different. Not my favourite of Willa Cather's work but still very readable. This is available from Project Gutenberg.
Lee Anne
There are eight short stories in this collection, but the final four were also in The Troll Garden, which I'd already read, so that made for a quick read--bonus!

"Coming, Aphrodite!" may be one of the best short stories I have ever read. Simply perfect.
Donna
I thought I adored everything Willa Cather wrote. Turns out I just read the best stuff first. This? Meh. Sure didn't keep me awake at bedtime, I'll say that for it! The plot wandered and the characters never took shape.
Blake Reichenbach
Purely beautiful. A collection of stories about artists in the ever-romanticized 1920s deviates from Cather's normal tales of the American pioneer front, but the stories are resounding and melancholy in the most touching way.
rinabeana
I've been really impressed with what I've read of Cather's work so I thought I'd check out her short stories. I was reminded why I enjoy her writing so much. She's so descriptive, even in the framework of the short story.
Calvin
Whether it be the first reading, or now on perhaps the 30th reading-Paul's Case and Coming, Aphrodite remind me why I love the written word.
Sarah Sammis
Another collection I'm surprised that I read so early. I thought I had started reading Willa Cather in my 30s, not my 20s.
Rachel
Four stars just for Paul's Case - all the others are cranky, elitist, erudite, urban, ugh. Not happy stories.
Patty Chang
A bunch fo short stories. Some gems, some will stay with you, some just good.
Virginia Albanese
Love Cather's descriptive abilities. Series short stories.
Amy
Top-notch writing. Plots could be more interesting.
Jillian
A worthwhile read, but not as good as Cather's novels.
Terressa
Terressa marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Ykaruzz
Ykaruzz marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Alex Goukassian
Alex Goukassian marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Alisia Barringer
Alisia Barringer marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Suzanna
Suzanna marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Rene Saller
Rene Saller marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Kathleen Miller
Kathleen Miller marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Tammi
Tammi marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
  • My Father Like a River
  • Project Unicorn, Volume 1: 30 Young Adult Short Stories Featuring Lesbian Heroines
  • The Woman Who Married a Cloud: The Collected Short Stories
  • The Best Early Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Roast Beef Medium: The Business Adventures of Emma McChesney
  • Selected Tales (Penguin Classics)
  • The Biography of a Grizzly
  • Imitation of Life
  • Life and Death at Hoover Dam
  • The Sholes Key: An Evans and Blackwell Mystery (Book #1)
  • Aftershock: The Blast That Shook Psycho Platoon (Kindle Single)
  • Fujisan
  • The Year of the Jackpot
  • Sewerville: A Southern Gangster Novel
  • Nine-Tenths
  • The Morgesons
  • Shell House
  • Knight's Gambit
Wilella Sibert Cather was born in Back Creek Valley, Virgina (Gore) in December 7, 1873. Her novels on frontier life brought her to national recognition. In 1923 she was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for her novel, One of Ours (1922), set during World War I. She grew up in Virginia and Nebraska. She then attended the University of Nebraska, initially planning to become a physician, but after writing ...more
More about Willa Cather...
My Antonia O Pioneers! (Great Plains Trilogy, #1) Death Comes for the Archbishop The Song of the Lark One of Ours

“Oh, he’s an old friend from the West,” said Eden easily. “I won’t introduce you, because he doesn’t like people. He’s a recluse. Good-bye.” 3 likes
“Bouchalka was not a reflective person. He had his own idea of what a great prima donna should be like, and he took it for granted that Mme. Garnet corresponded to his conception. The curious thing was that he managed to impress his idea upon Cressida herself. She began to see herself as he saw her, to try to be like the notion of her that he carried everywhere in that pointed head of his. She was exalted quite beyond herself. Things that had been chilled under the grind came to life in her that winter, with the breath of Bouchalka’s adoration. Then, if ever in her life, she heard the bird sing on the branch outside her window; and she wished she were younger, lovelier, freer. She wished there were no Poppas, no Horace, no Garnets. She longed to be only the bewitching creature Bouchalka imagined her.” 2 likes