Youth and the Bright Medusa

Youth and the Bright Medusa

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Paul had just come in to dress for dinner; he sank into a chair, weak in the knees, and clasped his head in his hands. It was to be worse than jail, even; the tepid waters of Cordelia Street were to close over him finally and forever. The grey monotony stretched before him in hopeless, unrelieved years; Sabbath-school, Young People's Meeting, the yellow-papered room, the d...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Echo Library (first published 1920)

Sketchbook
If you care for 20thC American Lit, you love Willa Cather. She shatters
hearts in a few sentences. Cather tops any AmLit List with Wharton
and Fitzgerald. Who else is there on top 20th tier? In spare, concise
style she digs into emotions and dreams. This fine collection
includes 'Paul's Case' (lad in midwest plans an escape with No Exit);
'A Wagner Matinee' (elderly aunt fr Nebraska meets nephew in Boston
for a final, naked moment); 'Coming, Aphrodite!' (aspiring NYC
painter luvs aspiring opera singer...more
Jenny
The stories in this collection are mostly set in NYC and Boston, and they're all about artists - writers, musicians, sculptors - and their relationship to society. There are stories about glitter, about inspiration, and about expectations. They are all beautifully written.
Barbara Richardson
I reread Cather's short stories every few years. She has a radiant, powerful punch for me which few writers share. "A Wagner Matinee" is brilliant. "Coming, Aphrodite" would make a stunning movie.
Melody
With four new stories and four previously published in The Troll Garden, I didn't find much new to fall in love with...too many opera stars/famous girls. Of the four new stories (Coming, Aphrodite!, The Diamond Mine, A Gold Slipper, and Scandal) Coming, Aphrodite! was certainly the fullest, with vivid scenes and interesting characters. Of the four republished stories (Paul's Case, A Wagner Matinee, The Sculptor's Funeral, and A Death in the Desert) A Wagner Matinee remains my favorite. It contai...more
Sveta
Beautiful characterizations, it felt like each story was composed of two or so portraits, they would have very thick and primary coloring. Most of the settings she writes about tend to be portrayed as either full of air and light or dark and rot, environments that typically inspire sort of lacy prose. I like how Cather writes of just human flesh... the interplay of justness/justice in these stories is really great, added a billion more books from Cather to my reading list)))
Katrina
This is a collection of short stories, most of which feature young female opera singers as the main character, but the storylines and settings are all very different. Not my favourite of Willa Cather's work but still very readable. This is available from Project Gutenberg.
Lee Anne
There are eight short stories in this collection, but the final four were also in The Troll Garden, which I'd already read, so that made for a quick read--bonus!

"Coming, Aphrodite!" may be one of the best short stories I have ever read. Simply perfect.
Donna
I thought I adored everything Willa Cather wrote. Turns out I just read the best stuff first. This? Meh. Sure didn't keep me awake at bedtime, I'll say that for it! The plot wandered and the characters never took shape.
Blake Reichenbach
Purely beautiful. A collection of stories about artists in the ever-romanticized 1920s deviates from Cather's normal tales of the American pioneer front, but the stories are resounding and melancholy in the most touching way.
rinabeana
I've been really impressed with what I've read of Cather's work so I thought I'd check out her short stories. I was reminded why I enjoy her writing so much. She's so descriptive, even in the framework of the short story.
Calvin
Whether it be the first reading, or now on perhaps the 30th reading-Paul's Case and Coming, Aphrodite remind me why I love the written word.
Sarah Sammis
Another collection I'm surprised that I read so early. I thought I had started reading Willa Cather in my 30s, not my 20s.
Rachel
Four stars just for Paul's Case - all the others are cranky, elitist, erudite, urban, ugh. Not happy stories.
Patty Chang
A bunch fo short stories. Some gems, some will stay with you, some just good.
Virginia Albanese
Love Cather's descriptive abilities. Series short stories.
Amy
Top-notch writing. Plots could be more interesting.
Jillian
A worthwhile read, but not as good as Cather's novels.
Connor Gallagher
Connor Gallagher is currently reading it
Apr 16, 2014
Erica Spangler
Erica Spangler marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Mar 26, 2014
Martha
Martha added it
Mar 04, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Jennifer Ochoa
Jennifer Ochoa marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Wilella Sibert Cather is an eminent author from the United States. She is perhaps best known for her depictions of U.S. life in novels such as O Pioneers!, My Ántonia, and Death Comes for the Archbishop.

More about Willa Cather...
My Antonia O Pioneers! (Great Plains Trilogy, #1) Death Comes for the Archbishop The Song of the Lark The Professor's House

“Oh, he’s an old friend from the West,” said Eden easily. “I won’t introduce you, because he doesn’t like people. He’s a recluse. Good-bye.” 2 likes
“Bouchalka was not a reflective person. He had his own idea of what a great prima donna should be like, and he took it for granted that Mme. Garnet corresponded to his conception. The curious thing was that he managed to impress his idea upon Cressida herself. She began to see herself as he saw her, to try to be like the notion of her that he carried everywhere in that pointed head of his. She was exalted quite beyond herself. Things that had been chilled under the grind came to life in her that winter, with the breath of Bouchalka’s adoration. Then, if ever in her life, she heard the bird sing on the branch outside her window; and she wished she were younger, lovelier, freer. She wished there were no Poppas, no Horace, no Garnets. She longed to be only the bewitching creature Bouchalka imagined her.” 0 likes