Start by marking “The Military Form (The Vang, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Military Form (The Vang, #2)

The Military Form (The Vang #2)

Eons ago, a war was fought to the death between the parasitic and ferocious Vang and a gifted but doomed race. As a last resort, these gentle beings were forced to use the Starhammer to smash the Vang spacefleets and homeworld, leaving only a handful of survivors. For a billion years a silvery shape drifted through space. More than three thousand years after humanity first ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 369 pages
Published February 12th 1988 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Military Form, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Military Form

Michael
Jul 29, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing
This book is the second in "The Vang" series. The Vang is an aggressive militaristic species that was supposed to have been exterminated by a race, now long dead. This story starts some thousands of years after the last Vang sighting. They are almost considered a myth by this time and so an illegal prospector is unprepared for what he finds on an old derelict in a remote asteroid belt. The Vang is a race of "Omni-Parasite" capable of taking over any human host. Naturally he (the illegal ...more
Justin
Nov 24, 2012 Justin rated it really liked it
The middle book of a very loose trilogy (Starhammer, The Vang: The Military Form, The Vang: The Battlemaster), and also the best of the three. Crazy alien infestation runs wild from a single mistake. Intense, quick read.
Ellie [The Empress]
the book is good and I like the writer style. From all the reviews I read I was expecting more horror and battles but the first half of the book is just introduction to the characters, not less interesting of course. I find the way he portrays the Vang just beautiful, it made me feel empathetic toward "it".
Suzanne
Oct 17, 2012 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Seriously, the alien invasion book to end all alien invasion books. It is awesome. I rec it to everyone who likes SF.
Alex Stockdale
Sep 21, 2011 Alex Stockdale rated it really liked it
Read this in my teens, and found it both terrifying and gripping. Reread it recently, and it's still amazing. If you liked the film "Alien", try this book. The sequel (The Vang: The Battlemaster) is also good, but I didn't find it as scary as this one.
Brett's Books
Aug 06, 2011 Brett's Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: reread
Hard to believe I read this pulpy and extremely violent book as a child. I enjoyed it again a second time, but was shocked as I reread it that I had been allowed to read this book at all; I need to provide better oversight to my kids for sure.
Ein
Oct 26, 2014 Ein rated it liked it
Затея интригующая: тварь из The Thing подминает планету. Если прорваться через ненужную первую треть, то затянет своей отвратительностью. Но в целом написано плохо, а перевод вообще ниже плинтуса.
Tomas Jakubauskas
Tomas Jakubauskas rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2013
Vytautas Čiužas
Vytautas Čiužas rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Phil
Dec 03, 2014 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A surprisingly fun bit of science fiction. The middle book in a trilogy, I find out 20 years later!
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2008
Riley Costa
Riley Costa rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Pierre-Olivier
Pierre-Olivier rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2013
Richard Foote
Richard Foote rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2013
John
Apr 28, 2015 John rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
1991 grade C+

series book S2

Note = Too Violent
James Ellis
James Ellis rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2012
Dan Blair
Dan Blair rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2013
Entnow
Entnow rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2016
Danath01
Apr 21, 2011 Danath01 rated it did not like it
bad
Hope
Hope rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2013
Dave
Dave rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2011
Dakarai Jelani
Dakarai Jelani rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2011
Reece Burton
Reece Burton rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Andy
A BRILLIANT, GRIPPING BOOK, FIND OTHER STUFF BY THIS AUTHOR!!!
John Rossman
John Rossman rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2012
Scott Drummond
Scott Drummond rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Cecil Porter
Cecil Porter rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2013
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Clark
Clark rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2007
Mark Lawrence
Mark Lawrence rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Alternities
  • Kinsman
  • The Argonaut Affair (Time Wars, #7)
  • Starstrike
  • High Justice
  • Across a Billion Years
  • The World of Tiers, Volume 1 (World of Tiers Omnibus 1-3)
  • Batman
  • Prostho Plus
  • Starwolf
  • War with the Robots (Science Fiction)
  • Galactic Empires 2
  • Satan's World
  • The Scoundrel Worlds (Star Risk, #2)
  • Timemaster
  • Wetware (Ware #2)
  • The Chronicles of Castle Brass: Count Brass/Quest for Tanelorn/Champion of Garathorm
  • The Sky Is Falling
Christopher Rowley is a prolific writer of both science fiction and fantasy novels. He was born in 1948 in Lynn, Massachusetts to an American mother and an English father. Educated for the most part at Brentwood School, Essex, England, he became a London-based journalist in the 1970s. In 1977 he moved to New York City and began work on The War For Eternity, his first science fiction novel. He ...more
More about Christopher Rowley...

The Vang (3 books)
  • Starhammer (The Vang, #1)
  • The Battlemaster (The Vang, #3)