Start by marking “Sheep and Wolves” as Want to Read:
Sheep and Wolves

Jeremy C. Shipp

Sheep and Wolves

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Jeremy Shipp is the master of the mind-bending tale. These stories bewitch and transport the reader. Though you may not know where Shipp will travel next, each story is an unforgettable thrill-ride and you'll be glad you took the trip.

Shipp's novel Vacation established him as one of the foremost authors in the "bizarro fiction" movement. Now he turns his attention to short
Nook, 0 pages
Published July 6th 2011 by Raw Dog Screaming Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sheep and Wolves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sheep and Wolves

Jason Pettus
Nov 12, 2008 Jason Pettus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally.)

New readers, don't mistakenly think that the only books I do micro-reviews for are ones I didn't particularly care for, or that weren't particularly good; just take this title for a good example, alt-horror hero (and 2007 Stoker Award nominee) Jeremy Shipp's newest, the magnificent and extremely unset
Garrett Cook
Sep 27, 2008 Garrett Cook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of dark, biting satire and avant garde horror
Sheep and Wolves is impressive. One might think a book of short fiction with such a strong pull toward an overarching theme (predator and prey in society) would suffer from redundancies or appear preachy. This is not the case with Sheep and Wolves. Shipp adroitly wields a chiaroscuro tone, creating in broad, rich strokes scenes of humor, strangeness and cruelty. From the first entry "Watching"'s voyeurism, victimization and imprisonment, to "Camp"'s refreshing Lord of the Flies riff and "Dog"'s ...more
Sandi
Dec 15, 2008 Sandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, horror
"Sheep and Wolves: Collected Stories" by Jeremy C. Shipp is not for those with weak stomachs or who are easily offended. This little collection of short stories and flash fiction is full of blood, piss, vomit, pus, and every bodily fluid imaginable. The stories deal with masochism, cannibalism, torture, and other dark topics.

"Sheep and Wolves" is a collection of nightmares. Frankly, they're much more scary than my nightmares. My favorite stories were "The Hole", "Sin Earth", and "Flapjack" whic
C.B.
Nov 20, 2008 C.B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
In a world where two wrongs don’t make right a but three do and one outrageously stupid act is enough to garner national exposure, television has been antiquated as Jeremy Shipp steps in to accelerate imagination into the big leagues of sensationalist culture with his bizarro collection, Sheep and Wolves. Prepare to be tantalized. Prepare to be terrified. Prepare to be disturbed. And most of all, prepare to be shippified!

Grant Wamack
Oct 21, 2009 Grant Wamack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With his minimalistic style and outre strangeness, Jeremy Shipp crafts a horrific short story collection where traditions and ideals are bought into question. Highly recommended by Sheeps and Wolves everywhere.
Kevin Lucia
Jan 03, 2009 Kevin Lucia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. You'll be up, you'll be down - Shipp's fiction never goes where you expect it, but while unexpected, it's also thoughtful, insightful, and fun to figure out. Even if you can't.
Dark Recesses
From the opening of “Watching”, the first tale, Shipp promises an interesting and bizarre journey though the human condition as readers voyeuristically tag along. “Watching” is a take on victimization and gender, which like its subjects offers plenty of visuals and complications but no real conclusions.

“Nightmare Man” follows a man stricken with horrific nightmares stemming from his greatest failure in life. But in a moralistic twist, his pain is also his power, giving him, in a dream logic way,
David Agranoff
Mar 27, 2009 David Agranoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bizarro readers, vegans
Sheep and Wolves by Jeremy C. Shipp
Raw Dog Screaming Press, 161 pages

I almost never have trouble finding the words to describe a book that I loved but Sheep and Wolves is one that presents me with a challenge. I could do what almost every other review of the book will do. I’m sure they’ll tell you have strange this book is but strange just is not strong enough of a word.

There is no moment reading this collection where you feel grounded in reality. For some readers this will be a huge turn-on or
Betty
Jan 15, 2009 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LIKE BEING IN A WARPED TWILIGHT ZONE!

When I first got this book, the cover and the title caught my eye. I like the simple drawings of the wolf and the sheep; unusual but aesthetic with the orange background. I saw that "SHEEP AND WOLVES" was a collection of short stories and since I love short stories, I had to have it.

I didn't realize it was "bizarro" fiction until I started reading, and truthfully, the first line of the opening story offended my sensibilities, so I skipped on to the next stor
Kristen
Nov 24, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, first-reads
Sheep and Wolves is an interesting little short story compilation, with thirteen short stories of a very high caliber. The stories in this particular compilation are all horror stories, with some leaning into the realm of science fiction gone bad. The writing is concise, yet descriptive. Each story feels like it is just the right length for the reader's comfort level. As with all short story collections, some stories are more effective than others. All are horrifying in one aspect or another. So ...more
Elke
First, I should mention that short stories are not my favourite type of story. Either they are too long - in spite of being a short story - because the author did not manage to get to the heart of his story without add too much decoration. Or, on the other side, a story is too short to make sense or tell a good story.

However, Sheep and Wolves is a great example for how a short story should be written. The shorter the author kept a story in this collection, the better they are. They focus directl
Mandy
Feb 15, 2009 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-stars
Wow - this is the first time I've read anything like this and I certainly was not disappointed. It is very hard to explain how I feel about this book, perhaps because whilst you're reading your feelings change often, from ups to downs and sideways. It conjures up so many emotions that you don't know if you're alive, dead, facing up, facing down, swimming, walking, reading or experiencing.

The stories in this book are twisted, abstract, horrific and gross and please, these words in no way are to
Jason
Nov 20, 2008 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"When people say, “Get a life,” what they usually mean is, “Drown out the screaming of your heart like I do, then we can be friends.” I refuse." from "Nightmare Man"

On the way to park this afternoon I spotted the first glimpse of Autumn. It was a full grown oak with leaves glowing in orange, yellow and red. Soon there will be pumpkins, scarecrows, ghost, goblins, haunted houses, and all of the typical joy mixed with fear that is Fall. There is no better writer to read on a cool autumn evening th
Galo
May 23, 2009 Galo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeremy-shipp
What devil slips into our skin and forces us to rip out the entrails of the innocent and serve it up as today’s special? Jeremy Shipp knows. It is a rare event to discover a master storyteller who can wield a manipulative power and skillfully render us victim, silent witness, and complicit killer all-at-once while effortlessly leading the reader through a crucible of pain, misery and repulsion like a parent reading a bedtime story to a child. Cannibals, S&M Gods, Sociopaths, Zombies, Mutants ...more
Ben
Aug 31, 2010 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is clear to me, that Jeremy C. Shipp resides deep in the dark recesses of his brain, a place filled with garden gnomes, serial killers, cannibals and bloody clowns, a place where fear and terror reign, a place that isn't necessarily his own brain, not really, but our brains, where his brain has somehow taken up residence, worming its way into all of the things that horrify us in ways we can't even access, certainly not the way Shipp can, which ultimately means, that he knows our nightmares in ...more
Aaron
May 20, 2009 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easily the strangest collection of stories I've read in some time, if not ever. Many of the stories were a bit abstract for my taste, but still incredibly hypnotic and difficult to put down.

Recommended, for those who can handle extremely disturbing, nightmarish imagery. I wouldn't call it a favorite, but many of the stories will be stuck in my head for a long time coming. I'm definitely interested in picking up Jeremy C. Shipp's novel, Vacation.
Stephen
Nov 26, 2008 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone with a twisted mind... and penguins
Recommended to Stephen by: Jeremy C. Shipp
Sheep & Wolves, the new collection of short stories by Jeremy C. Shipp, author of the novel Vacation, shows again his innate ability to turn a normal thought into something abstract and sometimes freightening. If Philip K. Dick and Chuck Palahniuk were to have a lovechild, and it was raised by Christopher Moore and a demented Lawn gnome, it's writing might be on par with Jeremy's. Characters with super-amped up emotions, detailed visuals and overall creepiness fill this book choc-full o' goo ...more
Chris Bowsman
Mar 24, 2010 Chris Bowsman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read both of Jeremy Shipp's full length books (Vacation and Cursed), I was very surprised at how dark Sheep and Wolves is. In the other books, Jeremy's stories, while horror, are always optimistic. No such optimism is present in his short story collection. That's not a bad thing, though. It reveals not only a whole other side of him, but also more of the depth of his writing abilities.

If you have not read his other books, I would follow this one with Cursed.
Aberjhani
Dec 30, 2008 Aberjhani marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
It's a tremendous pleasure to see Jeremy Shipp's career continue to develop with the publication of another novel written in his own unique and engaging style and perspective. After his firt novel VACATION's performance, I'm excited enough about SHEEP AND WOLVES to place it on my Authors and Books to Watch List on Amazon at this url: http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/list...

Aberjhani
Jason
Apr 20, 2009 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel fortunate to get a copy of this. I found most of the stories to be very fascinating reads. Shipp's stories have an odd dreamlike flow to them that turn quickly from satire to nightmare. I think my possible favorite was "Baby Edward". I loved the personal battle the protagonist was having with his guitar. I had fun reading these and would recommend the book to any one wishing to break away from the everyday world.
Michael
Dec 08, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Jeremy is a great writer/artist. His writings are amazing and hard to put down, even at 2am and you should have been asleep at 12. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone.
A
Nov 02, 2009 A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read. Disquieting imagery complete with body functions. Very graphic.
Nathan Schilz
Sep 26, 2010 Nathan Schilz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Penetrating prose into the human psyche.
Michele Lee
From the opening of "Watching", the first tale, Shipp promises an interesting and bizarre journey though the human condition as readers voyeuristically tag along. "Watching" is a take on victimization and gender, which like its subjects offers plenty of visuals and complications but no real conclusions.

"Nightmare Man" follows a man stricken with horrific nightmares stemming from his greatest failure in life. But in a moralistic twist, his pain is also his power, giving him, in a dream logic way
Hydra Star
I'm giving this one a "middle of the road" rating because while the stories are interesting and, for the most part, well-written many of them are sort of hard to follow.
Jeremy
Nov 17, 2009 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy, 2009
A very odd collection of stories, some of which drew me in and left me wanting more, while others left me more confused than when I began reading. Shipp deals with powerful issues such as gender-identity, race, and free will, sometimes overtly, as in Those Below, in which relations between the living and the living dead directly parallel race relations and sometimes more subtly. Well worth the read for fans of horror and the stranger end of speculative fiction.
Brian Mcclain
Jul 14, 2014 Brian Mcclain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bizarro, horror
I loved it... and that's al there is to say about that.
Jo
Mar 19, 2009 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, e-books
A collection of short stories ranging from mildly horrific to huh? Shipp brings to the table tales representing all aspects of society, all the faults and foibles of society. There's something in here for everyone
David Katzman
Nov 23, 2008 David Katzman marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who don't like books that kiss them on the forehead and put them to bed.
I read a preview of one of the the stories in this collection; it was striking and sharply written. Pick it up if you like the weird and surprising.
Gayla Drummond
Jun 15, 2010 Gayla Drummond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of nightmarish short stories is a fascinating read. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys horror that makes you think.

Sheep and Wolves makes the Bram Stoker Award Prelim Ballot 1 6 Jan 21, 2009 01:56PM
  • The Bizarro Starter Kit (blue)
  • Jack and Mr. Grin
  • The Troublesome Amputee
  • Love in the Time of Dinosaurs
  • Mama's Boy and Other Dark Tales
  • The Egg Man
Jeremy C. Shipp is the Bram Stoker nominated author of Cursed, Vacation, and Sheep and Wolves. His shorter tales have appeared or are forthcoming in over 50 publications, the likes of Cemetery Dance, ChiZine, Apex Magazine, Pseudopod, and Rosebud. While preparing for the forthcoming collapse of civilization, Jeremy enjoys living in Southern California in a moderately haunted Victorian farmhouse wi ...more
More about Jeremy C. Shipp...