Made Up
read excerpt

Made Up

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Life hasn't been much of a fairytale for Katia recently, but when she lands her dream job as a makeup artist, it seems like things might be about to change.

Whisked off to join a film production in the vibrancy and magic of India, she has to face a fire-breathing dragon in the shape of her new boss and solve complex riddles, such as whether Owen Walker, the movie's gorgeou...more
ebook, Smashwords, 267 pages
Published September 14th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Made Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Made Up

Emma
Sep 11, 2011 Emma rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Obviously this is a completely biased rating as I wrote the book but it would be breaking the first rule of self-promotion if I gave it less than five stars wouldn't it? ;)
Jeshu
Aug 01, 2012 Jeshu rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romance fans
Recommended to Jeshu by: Emma Jackson
Shelves: indie, romance
For this review, I'll try to be as honest as possible. I knew Emma from before she published her book and, well... you know it's hard to 100% sincere when you already know the people :)

That being said, here we go...

I really enjoyed this book. The genre is not what I usually read, but it was a totally refreshing read after one month of medieval literature. I loved Emma's ability to write and convey feelings. It is so simple, yet moving. She doesn't tell you stuff, she shows you, and you end up wa...more
Julie(Reading By The Beach)
I was instantly swept away by the stunning characters as they negotiate through their adventure.

You are graced with a wide array of characters from the sweet, yet jaded female protagonist, Katia, to the rumored womanizing Owen, to all the in betweens. We get to see through Katia's eyes, feeling what she feels, temporarily walking in her shoes. Emma Jackson writes in such a way that I was instantly evoked to become invested in Katia's character and her well-being.

A sweet, budding, uncertain roma...more
Tricia Kristufek
"Besides, you know how it is - it's your choice whether to believe everything you read or not."

Katia sets off across the ocean to follow her dream - to be a makeup artist - when an assistant position falls in her lap. Excited, nervous, and determined to do a good job, Katia leaves her past troubles behind her. But her demons come back into play as she finds herself falling for the star of the show, Owen, and trying to help her sister out of a deep depression.

Suddenly, surviving her demon boss is...more
Penumbra
The protagonist for this story is Katia, a junior makeup artist for the movies and stage.

(view spoiler)...more
Victoria Zigler

This was an enjoyable read. My interest was captured from the start and held throughout the book. Also, the characters were well rounded and I quickly became atatched enough to them to be eager to learn more, want to cry for them when things were tough, and want to laugh with them when things were going well for them. A well written book, which was a pleasure to read!

I’ve mentioned in the past issues with too much cursing in books. Well, I can honestly tell you that asn’t an issue here. Some was...more
Anna
A really good read - honest and believable characters and a story that whisks you away & keeps you hooked.

A great first book & I'm already looking forward to the next Emma Jackson bestseller!!
Jay Howard
I found this an enjoyable light read, typical of the genre but atypical in being better written than many. The pacing and plot are good, with plenty happening to keep the reader interested in Katia’s life. There are a few edits required, scattered throughout the work, but they are only of the kind that annoy pedants like me eg ‘giving into’ instead of ‘giving in to’. As compensation there are flashes of poetic brilliance. Two images that will stay with me are:
'She felt like a bird that could ha...more
Jessica
I thought this book was really good for going into it with no expectations. The plot moved along at a nice pace, and it didn't really lag at any part. The relationships in it were believable, and the romance did not seem rushed or hurried in any way, which was also great. I thought that the character development in Katia's case was very well done, as we really get to be inside her head, and understand the demon's of her past. Overall I would definitely recommend this book as some leisure reading...more
Readers looking for a light romance story will enjoy reading this book. Without giving away the story, there's an insecure makeup artist who falls for a big movie star but he seems to be unavailable. Some family issues also force the plot's main character to reconsider her emotions. Fun story worth a Summer read by the beach.
Deoro
Contemporary romance between a woman with a difficult romantic past and a too-good-but-true celebrity. Entertaining, but take off a star if you're not a fan of this genre. I enjoyed it and look forward to the next book as the author mentions it is the first in a trilogy.
Michaela Madison
The characters were well developed and the slow reveal of Katia’s past tragedy keeps the reader engrossed until the very end. I liked this book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys stories of coming to terms with the past and moving on.
Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥)  Bell
I loved this, Not my normally read, but I AM SO GLAD I read it :)

Thank you Emma for mentioning Basically Books , and my name in the Acknowledgments :D I got very happy when I read that :P HaHa :)

Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Adriana
Adriana marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Naruto
Naruto marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Aubrey
Aubrey marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2013
Lucia
Lucia marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2013
Lisa Schweier
Lisa Schweier marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Tonya
Tonya marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Hatice Kamkam
Hatice Kamkam marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
FotZik
FotZik marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2013
Elaine De brito
Elaine De brito marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2013
Faye
Faye marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Basically Books!: Made Up by Emma Jackson (July 2012 Group Read) 64 31 Aug 12, 2012 11:41AM
book romance: Made Up by Emma Jackson 7 7 Mar 16, 2012 02:49PM
Creative Reviews: New Facebook Page 21 23 Sep 20, 2011 05:07PM
5199369
Emma Jackson grew up in London and, after trying out a few different counties for size, has settled in a lovely little town called Seaford on the south coast of England. She lives with her partner of eleven years, their beautiful baby girl and the cat who adopted them a week after they moved in.

She writes fiction in no particular genre, it just depends which story has taken her interest, though a...more
More about Emma Jackson...
Tasters