Start by marking “Chomp” as Want to Read:
Chomp

Chomp

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  13,403 Ratings  ·  1,763 Reviews
Wahoo Cray lives in a zoo. His father is an animal wrangler, so he's grown up with all manner of gators, snakes, parrots, rats, monkeys, snappers, and more in his backyard. The critters he can handle.  His father is the unpredictable one.

When his dad takes a job with a reality TV show called "Expedition Survival!", Wahoo figures he'll have to do a bit of wrangling himself
Published March 27th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Chomp, please sign up.

Grace I would say the theme is appearances can be deceiving, be humble, and there is a fine line between bravery and idiocy.
Andrew I like it and I only have read 1 page its a better book for people in middle school or elemtrey and I cant spell sorry but I mean if you over the age…moreI like it and I only have read 1 page its a better book for people in middle school or elemtrey and I cant spell sorry but I mean if you over the age 15 I think you won't like it and I now will not read any more coments relaeting to this amazing book :D(less)

John
Dec 26, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, please understand, my rating of a book is based on how it affects me, nothing else. A book does not have to be great literature to get high marks from me, it just has to catch my interest and involve me, and get me to enjoy the experience in the process. This is what makes "Chomp" a five star read for me.

Carl Hiaasen is one of my all time favorite fiction authors. Unfortunately, for his loyal readers, he's been keeping a fairly low profile in recent years after a creative explosion in the
My family watches a good amount of survival-skills TV, with Survivorman and Naked and Afraid being our favorites. So when we realized Chomp's plot integrates a similar survival-themed TV show, we were pretty excited. Of course the show featured in this book is from Mr. Hiaasen's imagination, but in my opinion it strongly resembles one particular survivalist's show (that I shall not name). It happens to be a show I won't watch because I think it's strategically and non-spontaneously scripted and ...more
Jonathan Peto
Apr 16, 2014 Jonathan Peto rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, ya
I’m having trouble working myself up to review this one. That may be the definition of a three star book, at least sometimes.

I’ve been meaning to read something by Carl Hiaasen for awhile now. I read this one aloud to my son because my random picks for him lately tended to feature female leads, the ocean, and environmentalist themes to one degree or another: Isabel of the Whales and Island of the Aunts. I figured I owed the guy a break.

Back to Chomp. I liked it. Much of it takes place in the Flo
Ken
Mar 24, 2012 Ken rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, finished-in-2012
Fun -- for a bit (there's a chomp joke in there somewhere). Hiaasen hits the right notes humor-wise in this Steve Irwinesque takeoff of a prima donna phoney Aussie hosting a reality wildlife survival show. His name is Derek Badger and he isn't the best thing about this novel by any means. Unfortunately, just when you think he's as bad as it gets, ANOTHER caricature (um, CHARACTER, I mean... I think) snatches defeat from the gator jaws of infamy by taking his place.

What's to like: the Mickey Cray
Andrea Izquierdo
Me ha costado engancharme a la trama y a los personajes. Tiene sus puntos divertidos y originales, pero la historia me ha parecido poco creíble y no he conseguido conectar con ella :'(
Viv JM
As you'd expect from Hiaasen - plenty of colourful characters and ridiculously funny situations set in the swamps of the Everglades. And, of course, Nature always wins out over stupid people.

I read this young adult title with my 11 year old son. His rating was 4.5, mine 3.5 so we compromised with 4 stars :-)
M K
Dec 09, 2012 M K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4th grade boys
Shelves: 2012, kids
My son came home dying to read this book after the school librarian showcased it at school. We soon realized it was above his reading level, so I read the book to my 4th grade son and 2nd grade daughter. In short, my son loved it and my daughter, well, not so much.

One of the things I love about my kids getting older is watching their personalities come into their own. Unfortunatley (she says with a smile), my son leans toward the silly, slapstick humor filled books. And this fit the bill. The c
dyanne

"Mickey Cray had been out of work ever since a dead iguana fell from a palm tree and hit him on the head."

That, my friends, is the best beginning of a book. Ever. Nothing can beat that.
Having read Hoot, Scat, and Flush back in grade school, I was a bit rusty on how much Carl Hiassen was capable of. Needless to say, This book was thoroughly enjoyable and I loved every single crazy minute of it.

I will never think of badgers the same way again.
Or the name Alice.
Or tuna.
Or wahoo.

Awesome re
Mar 20, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Chomp was a fun, wacky ride through the Florida Everglades. Gators, bats, iguanas, and boys named Wahoo! What’s not to like? :)

Wahoo’s family owns an animal wrangler business. Their backyard is full of fun—from turtles to snakes to alligators. A way of life that amazed me! Wahoo and his Dad are so used to the scratches, tangles and chomps from the animals. Just ask Wahoo about his thumb! Haha…It was fun to hear them talk about all the animals like family. A big, slithering, biting family that c
Sara
Mar 31, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chomp by Carl Hiaasen follows Wahoo a boy whose father is an animal wrangler. When a reality show contacts Wahoo's father Micky about providing animals to set up a survivalist's show he is reluctant but agrees because he needs to pay the bills. Will Wahoo and Micky be able to handle the arrogant Derek Badger?

I loved this book. It was engaging and funny without being afraid to tackle some heavy subjects. I loved the setting with all of the animals and Derek Badger the fake survivalist and his rea
Wandering Librarians
I would first like to say that I listened to this on audiobook, and it's read by James Van Der Beek. That's right Dawson was reading the book, and he did a marvelous job. His portrayal of Derek Badger was fantastic, but he really made Mickey Cray become someone I wanted to get to know. It was crazy good.

I'll be honest and say that I haven't ever read any of Carl Hiaasen's books before this. First impression? He's incredibly funny, with a lovely grasp of the depth of emotions that children can la
Avery Miller
I really love Carl Hiaasen, but this book fell short compared to his others. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed reading it. In fact, it was one of my favorite books that i have read in awhile. The only reason why I don't fully support it, is because of the annoying use of dialogue. I am pretty sure that not everyone from Florida actually speaks in a southern tone so much as to make one sick. I would recommend this book, but I also would like to warn anyone whom is planning to read this, that t ...more
Alison Smith
I always enjoy Carl Iaasen - this was an easy read: the usual Hiaasen criminal mayhem down in the Florida Keys - highly entertaining. This time round he mercilessly lampoons the fakery of soi-called "reality" wildlife TV programmes. Worth reading for this aspect alone.
Zeke
Jul 08, 2015 Zeke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it a great book. I like the guy named Jared Gordon. You should read it.
Ava
May 18, 2016 Ava rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book about 3 years ago.
Garrison Kelly
Dec 17, 2016 Garrison Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mickey Cray and his son Wahoo are professional animal wranglers who need to scrape up as much money as they can to avoid foreclosure. Their opportunity at financial salvation comes in the form of Derek Badger, a reality TV survivalist who wants to use the Cray family’s reptiles as creative fuel for his show. When the egotistical Derek wants more convincing footage, he, the TV crew, and the Crays venture out into the Everglades, where the animals are wilder and more likely to bite something off. ...more
Mal Warwick
Alligators, pythons, vampires, and gun-wielding drunks run amok in the Everglades

They’re maybe 14 years old. His name is Wahoo; he was named after the wrestler, not the fish. Hers is Tuna. Yes, the fish. So, they decide to call each other Lance and Lucille.

They live in the Everglades.

His father is an animal wrangler who supplies docile animals to TV survivalist shows that purport to show men wrestling with alligators or snakes. Hers is a drunken bum who drove her mother away to Chicago and now b
Sandra Stiles

One of my favorite places to visit is the Florida Everglades. It is only a few hours south of where I live, and a place I consider to be extremely beautiful and dangerous. There is a particular tourist attraction that takes customers on an airboat ride. My first trip with them was thrilling because we had someone with a Steve Irwin personality. He loved describing everything; birds, plants, gators, the whole eco-system of the Everglades. The highlight was getting to hold a live alligator. When I
Momina
Dec 05, 2012 Momina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Momina Mustaquim
Cooper
Language Arts 6th
29 November 2012

CHOMP by: Carl Hiaasen
Summary: Wahoo Cray is anything but normal. Named after a wrestler, having an animal wrangler as a dad and a backyard filled with animals, he has a unique lifestyle. Wahoo’s family is struggling with money, so Wahoo’s mom goes to China to teach Chinese and bring back more money. Mickey Cray, the father who is recovering from a concussion is having trouble with bills and can barely feed himself with the migraines causing
Vlin
Nov 13, 2015 Vlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Literally, I cant.
I CAN'T, IT'S TOO GOOD.

What can I say people? The best book ever! I feel really bad of how I doubted Carl Hiaasen's style of writing. Seriously, I thought this would be an ordinary and boring realistic fiction book. But then I realized that I was wrong, TOTALLY wrong.

It involves a young boy named Wahoo, living with his crazy father, Mickey Cray, and his mom, Susan. They live in a house, with a backyard full or slimy reptiles with scales and different animals. Susan decides to
Gavin Dobbels
Wahoo Cray, the son of a professional animal wrangler, Mickey Cray. He is just an average teen living with alligators, snakes, turtles, you name it, the Cray's probably own it. Even though the Cray's have just about every animal they can dream of, they have some financial issues and could use a quick buck.
They luck out when they get a job with a hit survival-TV show, Expedition Survival!, and they can get back on track with their money. For the show, The Cray's travel to the Everglades with TV s
Lynn
Carl Hiaasen wrote a very over the top novel for middle school age boys. I think they may enjoy it but my good will flagged as the book went on. I can see a multimillion dollar movie deal in his future, this book was a scenario for a clean Will Farrow movie. The idea that a poor dad would be hit over the head by a frozen dead iguanas falling out of a tree was sad and funny. The idea that a man from a naturalist TV show would try to eat a bat, be injured and that he could have rabies was not. The ...more
Kate
Jun 10, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hiaasen is addictive as kid lit or grownup lit - and Chomp has all his trademarks, with characters to love or hate, kooky scenarios and lots of Florida wildlife. This time we travel the Everglades with a boy, a girl, an animal wrangler, and the fakest of fake reality show stars. To the Caudill committee:how could you pick a book this great alongside the drivel that was Michael Vey? Hiaasen's good writing was a great comfort as I plow through my summer homework. Awesome silliness.
Dee Ann
Oct 05, 2016 Dee Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Carl Hiaasen's ecology themed books and this is no exception. Wahoo lives with his animal wrangler dad and mom who teaches Mandarin Chinese. Wahoo and his dad end up on an adventure with a reality t.v. superstar who wants to encounter animals in the Everglades. There is fun, humor and adventure, and suspense throughout the story.
Collette
Oct 19, 2015 Collette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
What a fun adventure story. It's full of PG action and animal facts. If you've got a mid-grade elementary student on up that like either of those, they might really like this.
Cathy
Oct 20, 2016 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I loved every single character in this book. I love the way Carl Hiaasen sprinkles in information about Florida and her wildlife and nature into the story. I love that there were places that made me laugh out loud and jump when something surprising happened. GREAT read for just about any age!
 CHEETOS FOR CHARITY (Alan
good good book
Leah
Mar 12, 2012 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Working in a bookstore has presented me with an ever-growing list of authors who I want to read. Carl Hiassen has been on that list for ages: the covers of his books immediately catch my eye and his quirky, oddball humor sounds like we'd be a perfect match.

When an ARC of Chomp arrived on my doorstep last week, I immediately tore into it. Wahoo Cray (yes, that's his real name and he was named after the wrestler not the fish, thank you very much!) and his fa
Cinnapatty
After being unable to finish the heavy "All the Light We Cannot See" I was searching for something light and easy. I found it! I have read "Hoot" and I liked it. Although I can't remember if it's the same characters or not.
Mickey Cray is hilarious. I read his lines and hear Mater's voice (from Cars) and it makes me laugh. Lots of laugh out loud parts while still addressing tricky real life issues (a drunken, abusive father in Tuna's case)
I appreciated this light hearted, fun read. Targeted to pr
De Jonge Jury: Wat vond jij van 'Hap!' van Carl Hiaasen? 1 1 Dec 16, 2015 07:21AM
Chomp 4 43 Sep 06, 2015 04:14PM
BCMS Reader's Rally: Chomp 11 7 Dec 13, 2014 12:13PM
The Amazing People: Pointless 12 14 Aug 27, 2014 12:06PM
  • Free Thaddeus!
  • Circus Galacticus
  • Will in Scarlet
  • Cold Cereal (The Cold Cereal Saga, #1)
  • Warp Speed
  • Promise the Night
  • Shadow on the Mountain
  • Fake Mustache
  • Glory Be
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1)
  • The Girl Who Threw Butterflies
  • The Absolute Value of Mike
  • The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman
  • The Adventures of Beanboy (Beanboy #1)
Carl Hiaasen was born and raised in Florida. After graduating from the University of Florida, he began writing for the Miami Herald. As a journalist and author, Carl has spend most of his life advocating the protection of the Florida Everglades. He and his family still live in southern Florida.
More about Carl Hiaasen...

“Mickey Cray had been out of work ever since a dead iguana fell from a palm tree and hit him on the head.” 18 likes
“Actually it was the mark of the stupid, which is what you get for sitting under a tree during a thunderstorm.” 18 likes