Start by marking “The Dragon & the Garden” as Want to Read:
The Dragon & the Garden

The Dragon & the Garden (Old Stories)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Prepare to see the Garden of Eden as you always wished you could tangible, leaves rustling, the scent of fruit on the breeze. N.D. Wilson and Peter Bentley weave the story of our first parents with wild realism, but also a childlike honesty and clarity that bring new depth to an old truth. Ages 4+. "
Published October 31st 2013 by Canon Press (first published May 22nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon & the Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon & the Garden

Elizabeth
Jun 02, 2014 Elizabeth rated it did not like it
I had great expectations for this book, however, as I approached the retelling of the Fall of mankind, I found that the author goes beyond artistic license and reinterprets what transpired between Adam and Eve in an unhelpful and unbiblical way. Following Eve's eating of the fruit, Wilson writes:

"When she ate it, she knew that it was wrong. But she took the fruit to Adam.
He was saddened. He was the protector of the Garden. A Dragon had come, and he had not protected the Garden or his wife, Eve
Timothy Nichols
Jul 02, 2015 Timothy Nichols rated it really liked it
Well illustrated, and a good telling of the story. Wilson speculates a little in spots, fleshing out some hints in the biblical account, but the speculation is reasonable, and it helps him to tell the story well. Worth reading.
John Dekker
Dec 25, 2015 John Dekker rated it liked it
Shelves: n-d-wilson
This book falls well short of what I expect from N. D. Wilson. This book has some serious problems with its biblical interpretation. I was fine with Wilson using a dragon instead of a snake (presumably based on Revelation 20:2), but when he tempts Eve, Eve is said to be alone. This misses the force of Genesis 3:6, which says that Eve gave some fruit to her husband "who was with her" - implying that Adam had been there all along, not saying anything.

Wilson, on the other hand, relies more on Milto
Jodi
May 21, 2015 Jodi rated it liked it
Jessica
I loved the beauty in this book.. the magic so it seems. There were some aspects of this book that I am not sure if I fully agree with the author in some areas but while based on the Bible (which I believe to be true) this book is still a fiction piece, people. There are some different takes on the account of the fall that I have heard before and many of them are presented here. There is some artistic license in the art and in the storytelling but still well done.
Betsy
Mar 25, 2015 Betsy rated it really liked it
4 stars for illustrations
3+ for text.

I love seeing Biblical stories robustly handled--as they great and inspiring and true stories they are. But the text of this version goes beyond the biblical account in ways that may be confusing (and misleading) for children. It would be a fantastic accompaniment in a middle or high school class since Wilson interprets the serpent like the medieval dragon.
Leila Bowers
Jul 02, 2011 Leila Bowers rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated and a fresh yet grounded representation of the Fall. Some of the theology is interesting, but if you know the Wilson clan it makes perfect sense and challenges both kids and adults.
Jessica Linn Evans
Feb 12, 2010 Jessica Linn Evans rated it really liked it
I love the fresh perspective of the illustrations! And, of course, Nate is a great story teller.
Christopher Brehm
Dec 15, 2015 Christopher Brehm rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, christian, own
Excellent book, my child is a bit too young still but it's a beautifully illustrated story.
James
May 30, 2009 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
One of the best children's book about the fall that I have read.
Caleb Ripple
Aug 24, 2009 Caleb Ripple rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to have kids to share this with!
Rita
Feb 06, 2010 Rita rated it liked it
My two year old LOVES this book.
Lori Lynn
Lori Lynn marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Barbara Ortiz
Barbara Ortiz rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Esther Owens
Esther Owens rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Caio Vidigal
Caio Vidigal marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Emilio Garofalo
Emilio Garofalo marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Brandy
Brandy added it
Jan 24, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Zach Wilke
Zach Wilke marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Tabbycat
Tabbycat marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Larson
Larson added it
Sep 12, 2015
Taylor
Taylor added it
Sep 04, 2015
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Old Stories (3 books)
  • In the Time of Noah
  • The Sword of Abram (Old Stories)