Start by marking “Les rêves seront exaucés dès l'aube (French Edition)” as Want to Read:
Les rêves seront exaucés dès l'aube (French Edition)

Les rêves seront exaucés dès l'aube (French Edition)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  124 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
One year before the protests in Tiananmen Square, Rosemary Mahoney participated in a teaching exchange between Harvard and Hangzhou University. At Hangzhou she was able to overcome her students' usual rigidity and achieve a rare and intimate glimpse of their culture and their attitudes. This remarkable memoir captures both the dreams and the grim realities her Chinese stud ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 287 pages
Published August 8th 1996 by Ecole des loisirs (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Les rêves seront exaucés dès l'aube, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les rêves seront exaucés dès l'aube

Stephen Gallup
Jul 09, 2008 Stephen Gallup rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered this memoir in the library in the early 90s, shortly after returning from my first trip to Asia. I had just fallen in love with Chinese culture and couldn’t get enough of the stuff. This book thrilled me.

The author was an English teacher from the U.S. who traded places for a year with a teacher in China, back in the days when the country was just beginning to open to the outside world. As an English teacher, her command of our language is superb. It’s been more than 15 years now sin
CJ
Jan 02, 2008 CJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-books
Rosemary Mahoney traveled on a cultural exchange to teach English at Hangzhou University in China.

Her style is a little confusing because she moves forward and backward in her narrative quickly and frequently. It took me a while to keep up with her without having to flip back several pages to remind myself where she was. What she is brilliant at, is description. There is nothing I like more about reading a book than feeling like I'm walking into someplace I've never been before.

The room was so
Cherie
Jun 23, 2008 Cherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
A- Wow. Mahoney really captured her vivid experiences of living in China in great detail. While she is repelled and outraged by certain aspects, we see how she adjusts and finds comfort in specific lifestyles, but can never ultimately fit in or accept this culture. Fascinating; excellent writing.
Martha
May 08, 2012 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
When I read travel books, I am reminded that I am not traveler in the real sense! Extremely hot, extremely cold, no privacy, being stared at! However, for the traveler what happens is the individuals they come to know. Still, I'd rather read about some places than ever be there!
Clif
I felt that I had traveled to China after this book
Bill
Feb 02, 2015 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that surprised me in that I was completely engrossed in all the people as well as Rosemary's adventure. I couldn't put it down. A real eye opener and I especially recommend it for any one looking to be a teacher.
Lady Jane
For me memoir bridges a gap between non-fiction and fiction; like biography, memoir can open worlds into history while retaining a personal connection that I crave.
Mahoney writes beautifully and tells truthfully. The ambiguity at the core of the human experience resonates throughout this work where people and characters shine.
I like to think about how people live in their physical spaces and interact with the greater society--this book helped to open a world that is so different from my own. I
Charleen
Jul 24, 2014 Charleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Although China has modernized considerably since 1987, I can recognize the China I am experiencing this year.
Diane
Sep 05, 2008 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosemary Mahoney spent a year teaching English at a Chinese university in 1987-88. Her experiences with the Chinese people and the Chinese system are fairly similar to those of Paul Thoreux, whose book Riding the Iron Rooster, is from the same time period.

According to a friend of mine who was an American student in China within the last ten years, the Chinese have tried to adopt a more Western way of dealing with foreigners. I suspect, however, that change in a centuries-old culture is glacial.
Nick Woodall
A teacher's tales of living in China for one year. Poignant. If you have been to China, this book is for you!
Elaine Pawlak
Jul 14, 2009 Elaine Pawlak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author tells of her experiences in teaching English at the Hangzhou University
in China in l987-88--one year before Tiananmen Square. I have been stunned by
the bleak and primitive living conditions of the students and teachers at the university.
I was impressed by the eagerness of the students to absorb as much Western culture
as possible but saddened by the oppression and the bureaucracy of their educational
and political system.
Lara
3.5 Stars. While I like her writing style, and even though the book was written over 20 years ago, there is still a lot that is pertinent to what is present day child, I felt that the book was more on her experience China, rather than her experience as a teacher in China. While there was some about teaching, and some classroom experience, I would have liked to have more about her experience teaching and working with the university.
Courtney
Rosemary Mahoney recalls the details of a one year teaching exchange that places her in Hangzhou University in China. Story told through recounting anticdotes. Book got excellent reviews from qualified critics but I got a little tried on reading about hardships, poverty, and the automated responses of Chinese students and citizens. Mahoney, though often frustrated, is clearly driven by an adventuresome spirit which is to be admired.
Panther
Jun 28, 2007 Panther rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asia
I don't remember this book too well. It's another teaching English in China memoir. It's much quieter than Hestler's - it doesn't overdramatize anything. Probably the feeling of it is closer to what my experience was.
Jenny
Nov 03, 2007 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author spends a year teaching at a Chinese university. Good insights about the country and its students.
Angela
Angela added it
Apr 18, 2016
cassie
cassie marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Joy Kidney
Joy Kidney rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Avery Morgan
Avery Morgan marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Marcy
Marcy marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Sattva
Sattva rated it did not like it
Feb 24, 2016
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
  • Travels in a Thin Country: A Journey Through Chile
  • The Third Wave: A Volunteer Story
  • China Underground
  • The China Price: The True Cost of Chinese Competitive Advantage
  • The River at the Center of the World: A Journey Up the Yangtze & Back in Chinese Time
  • The Bitter Sea: Coming of Age in a China Before Mao
  • Serve the People: A Stir-Fried Journey Through China
  • The Chan's Great Continent: China in Western Minds
  • China Wakes: The Struggle for the Soul of a Rising Power
  • On a Hoof and a Prayer: Exploring Argentina at a Gallop
  • The River Runs Black: The Environmental Challenge to China's Future
Rosemary Mahoney (born January 28, 1961 Boston) is an American non-fiction writer.

She grew up in Milton, Massachusetts, andgraduated from St. Paul's School (Concord, New Hampshire). She worked briefly for Lillian Hellman.

She has attended Yaddo.

She has written for numerous publications, including The New York Times, The Washington Post Book World, The New York Times Book Review, Elle, National Geog
More about Rosemary Mahoney...