Start by marking “Courage : the joy of living dangerously” as Want to Read:
Courage : the joy of living dangerously

Courage : the joy of living dangerously (Osho Insights for a new way of living )

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  2,928 Ratings  ·  168 Reviews
Courage is not the absence of fear, says Osho. It is, rather, the total presence of fear, with the courage to face it. This book provides a bird's-eye view of the whole terrain--where fears originate, how to understand them, and how to find the courage to face them. In the process, Osho proposes that whenever we are faced with uncertainty and change in our lives, it is act ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1977)

Vincent
Feb 13, 2008 Vincent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ive read this book twice, and each time afterward felt the need to purchase 20 copies and give them to total strangers. Osho's approach to religion/spirituality is simple, he uses common sense and fearless boldness to knock down our preconcieved notions of our approach to life. This is an amazing, easy read, and should be required reading for all.
David
Sep 30, 2009 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
'Life is an adventure or it's nothing'. Who said that? I thoroughly agree. There are always obstacles and fears at every point, and the danger is always to give up and lose sight of one's dream. The dream is what gives life it's freshness. Even if it is lost sight of on occasion, the high peak is still there, beckoning you on, obscured often by mist and lower peaks. As Goethe said, 'Whosoever continually strives upward - him can we save'. I have always continually strived towards the object of m ...more
Robert Geer
May 18, 2012 Robert Geer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: Osho
Churches, religions, organized sects-they teach you to pray. But in fact they hinder you from praying because prayer is a spontaneous phenomenon, it cannot be taught. If you have been taught a prayer in your childhood, you have been prevented from a beautiful experience that could have happened. Pg 71

If you talk to a rose, which is more alive than any stone image, which is more divine than any stone image...If you talk to a tree, which is more deeply rooted in God than any cross because no cro
Leyla
Feb 10, 2009 Leyla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i'm on a whole OSHO trip as of late. I am totally digging on this guy.

tim robbins says of him-"were enough americans to heed the brilliantly provocative words in this book, we might actually become "the land of the free and the home of the brave. 'imagine that!"

if i was taught this stuff instead of that other mumbo jumbo in catechism, i might have enjoyed my mistakes more. but i'm glad it came along when it did. (thanks AGAIN trevor, my literary guide!)
Pradeep Thakur
If you have not read or listen Osho, one of the Great Spiritual Masters of our time...he was the great motivator of mankind...you must read his works.

This work is one his great works. In this book Osho says: whenever we are faced with uncertainty and change in our lives, it is actually a cause for celebration. Instead of trying to hang on to the familiar and the known, we can learn to enjoy these situations as opportunities for adventure and for deepening our understanding of ourselves and the w
Michelle
Aug 07, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even if you're not a follower of eastern philosophy, this book is an inspiration. It encourages the reader to live outside of the confines of their own ideals, to take chances in all areas of life, and to be comfortable with those choices.
Adrienne S.
Sep 07, 2009 Adrienne S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Osho repeats himself quite a bit, but all the better to get a point across. If you are afraid of anything, Osho will make all your fears and anxiety melt away.

This is my second time reading this.
whango
Apr 26, 2015 whango rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The comments below are the result of only a few hours of research on Osho (aka Rajneesh). Like other serious readers, I routinely try to find out more about the authors of books I read.

These comments present information and links that some Osho fans may find disturbing, but that presumably any past, current or future reader of Courage: The Joy of Living Dangerously and his other books would want to know about.

Rajneesh/Osho was at the center of many controversies for his entire adult life -- for
Sunny
Sep 28, 2016 Sunny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
I would have given this a 4.5 option if I could. I thought this was brilliant in places but I have to admit that at times I thought he had taken a bagful of profound sounding words like destiny and inner peace and love and perception and the ego and fearlessness and just decided he would bung them into vaguely profound sounding sentences and see how they come out. Well overall, if that’s the method he chose, they came out very well. One of the interesting points that Osho makes is about illness ...more
Yogi Travelling
Fear as Osho describes, is simply a landscape within which we move, within which we live... We can't avoid it, we can only either reject it, or accept it...

Fear is everywhere - it can only be created by doubt... Osho explains that 'awareness' and 'doubt' are like two parallel lines that never cross... For when we are aware of something, there is no room for doubt to exist, or fear for that matter... Doubt can only exist with unawareness... Doubt is created by unawareness...

Courage is a means of
Vanea Tudor
Dec 30, 2015 Vanea Tudor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a book! I'm so glad i discovered Osho and his amazing books. He is really an inspiration to me, i like so much his simple style.

This book is about how to conquer your fear and accept it how it is, accept yourself exactly how you are, love yourself no matter what! Its such a must read for everyone!
Carter
Oct 25, 2012 Carter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book gave insight into the condition of fear I felt the author's own bias and agenda affected the book in a negative way. Osho seemed less like a sage and more like a bitter, self-righteous person through the examples he gave and the way he presented the information. Still, there were some moments of unbiased clarity and I did gain insight from those sections of the book.
Adam.delconte
Apr 27, 2009 Adam.delconte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So perfect. I don't know if I could ever move this over onto the "read" shelf, cause it just sits on my table and I pick it up and reread pages at a time. It's like wholesome snackfood for your heart.
Sarah Almulla
Jan 31, 2014 Sarah Almulla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
الكتاب جميل ومفيد رغم أنف الترجمة السيئة، والعبارات المكررة والأفكار.
ربما هناك رسالة ما من تكرارها، لم التفت إليها بعد.
بشكل عام جيّد.
James Perkins
This is a book of spiritual insight by the famous Osho. Every New Age bookstore has a large section devoted to him, so I thought I would give him a go. There is some good stuff here - for example, he encourages readers to get to know themselves, to do their own thing rather than what everyone else wants you to do, to meditate and be still on a daily basis (which science is now showing to be of both physical and psychological benefit) and to put aside fear, which unfortunately dominates much of o ...more
Dana.kafri
يحكى أن رجلا كان يمشي في الليل فسقط عن صخرة ، وخوفا من أن يسقط آلاف الأقدام لأنه يعلم بأن التلة عميقة جدا ، التقط غصنا كان متدليا فوق الصخرة ، ورأى هوة عميقة في عتمة الليل فصرخ حتى سمع صراخه مع الصدى ، إلا أن أحدا ، لم يسمعه .
أخي هل تستطيع تخيل خوف الرجل وعذابه طوال الليل ، لقد شعر بالموت في كل دقيقة وأحس بالبرد حتى أطراف يديه ، وأخذت قبضته تهن . وعندما بزغت الشمس ونظر تحته ضحك ، لم ير هوة ، رأى صخرة تبعد عنه ست بوصات فقط وكان بإمكانه الاستلقاء عليها طوال الليل لأن الصخرة كانت كبيرة كفاية . ولكن
Srikanth
Aug 20, 2010 Srikanth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophical
Lot of interesting and inspiring points which can be followed in our daily lives, I could say those were not much philosopical rather it can taken into practical day to day life. In terms of editing, I dont like that couple of points repeated thro' out the book - anyway, we could look at in a way that those were insisted across pages. Anyway, its nice book.
Erin
Jan 12, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never has a book effected my life so profoundly. It saved me at a time when I was hanging by a string and consumed by blackness. Its wisdom on love and forgiveness are the best advice I have ever read. His ideas on religion helped me realize my own beliefs.
رؤى سلطان
" لا يوجد شيء مخيف " - ببساطة شديدة يقولها أوشو :" لا يوجد شيء مخيف".
Aisha Aldossari
May 10, 2016 Aisha Aldossari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
الشجاعة

في هذا الكتاب حكى لي اوشو عن حكاية قديمة عن غابة تحترق وفي جوفها متسولان محترفان يصدف بأنهم أصدقاء اجتماعياً و أعداء مهنيا ( في مهنة التسول )، واحدهم يعاني من العمى والآخر يفتقر إلى ساقيين "مُقعد". فقال المُقعد للأعمى: علينا أن نتحد لننجو، عليك بأن تحملني فوق كتفيك لأُرشدك على الطريق ولتهرع بنا إلى بقعة الأمان.

هنا يكمن السر حيث على الأثنان ان يضعا منافستهما جانباً ليضيء الوعي دربهما. فالمقعد هنا هو القلب و الأعمى هو العقل. فإن تنازل العقل عن كبريائه وحمل القلب فوق كتفيه لإرشاده فسينجو الأ
VijayaRaghavan S N
A must read for all those souls out there who want to be said of how you are not living your life. Of how you are supposed to live your life. Of how your life has been moulded by the society.

This book makes you aware of the difference between "Truth" and "Belief". It makes you aware of difference between "living with a mind" and "living with a heart". It makes you aware of the difference between "Bravery" and "Courageousness".

This book is not meant for light hearted fellows. This is for those wh
Sundeep Supertramp
Sep 23, 2011 Sundeep Supertramp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-kind
MIND BLOWING READ...

Osho has a special book for every person. I would call this my-type. Osho is one of my favourite author and he is the best. He is one of his kind. He doesn't give anyone any philosophy (a fixed formula) to anyone, if it seemed like he gave you some philosophy, then take it, follow it, never let it go..

This book is follows a concept of living every moment of your life and thats how you should live. If you are not familiar with Osho and his teaching, then this would give you a
Jessica Arcand
Jul 22, 2016 Jessica Arcand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book left me wanting to reread it again and again just to absorb every line into my daily way of life. Every page I was learning more about my spirit, the interconnectedness of the world, and the reasoning behind why I feel the way I feel. Osho is a spiritual genius and his teachings continue to be so vital in this day and age where people are suffering and have lost themselves, similarly to what I'm going through right now. Thank you Osho for giving it to me straight and putting me back on ...more
Glaucia Miranda
Irreverente, com pensamentos um tanto "revolucionário", ao meu ver dificil de seguir nos dias de hoje.
Ele dá muita enfase na meditção. Ela eh o fio condutor de uma vida melhor, um estado de espirito, de vida, de buscas individuais.
Osho diz que hj vivemos uma vida corrida sem tempo para nos conhecermos, e a meditação eh o caminho, mas não eh qualquer meditção! Ele ensina como devemos nos comportar na meditação
Este livro nos faz indagar e questionar nas diversas formas de agir, nos desafia a tenta
Craig Williams
Sep 04, 2012 Craig Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and found it really inspirational. I tend to agree with Osho that the two states of being are "fear" and "love". Although the movie Donnie Darko tore this type of philosophy a new asshole, I still think that Osho, and later comedian Bill Hicks, were on to something when they encouraged people to try love over fear. Anyway, this book is very short, but sweet. Pick it up if you're needing spiritual wind in your sails.
Elisevina
Apr 03, 2013 Elisevina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before reading this book I was very sceptic about Osho and his books, therefore it serves as a proof that it is not wise to judge about something before you haven't tried it out. And I did, I read it and now I know for sure that this will be the book I will look up on a bad mood day or at times when I need some supportative word at hand. Simple language, easy to understand, lots of food for thought as well as encouragement.
Chärolin Klaos
Aug 05, 2016 Chärolin Klaos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Voouuuuuu.
Ma ei ole vist ühestki õpetlasest nii vaimustuses olnud kui temast. See on see äratundmise rõõm, kui keegi kirjutab seda, mida sa oled varem mõelnud, aga pole osanud või pidanud vajalikuks sõnadesse panna.

Ühtlasti totaalselt kinnitas mu arvamust, et religioon koos kogu oma organisatsiooni ja hierharhiaga on BS, mis on mõeldud nõrkadele, hirmunud, argadele inimestele, kes ei julge ise oma otsuseid teha ja elu südame järgi elada.

Jon
Aug 24, 2007 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking to see life through a slightly different lense
This is a great introduction to Osho's spiritual philosophy. I highly recommend Osho's entire "insights to a new way of living" series. It's some of his lighter fare when compared to his more political and anti-establishment discourses. For critical readers out there, keep in mind that Osho's books are essentially transcripts of lectures and discourses, and not well thought out works of literature.
Ganesh Sanal
Reading Osho is a lot like taking drugs. The whole world will stand against you warning that you will slowly loose your mind. But that's the whole point. Everything that you call mind is the past. Loose your mind and embrace life. If you ever felt that there is more to your existence than society's inculcation and expectations, then I would recommend this for you.
Raghu2chill
Apr 18, 2012 Raghu2chill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
osho is an great author.... he's great at telling the most complex things in the simpler manner.... its a must read book... you r not going 2 read the book you r going to involve in the book once u started to open the book...hav fun feel your courage.... do the unknown....the examples in the book are mind blowing they r very simple with deep meaning....
Goodreads Librari...: Combine books 3 14 Sep 08, 2015 08:47AM
  • Freedom from the Known
  • The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment
  • Bring Me the Rhinoceros: And Other Zen Koans to Bring You Joy
  • Wen-Tzu
  • Infinite Life
  • Creating Money: Keys to Abundance
  • Wild Feminine: Finding Power, Spirit, & Joy in the Root of the Female Body
  • Psychic Discoveries Behind the Iron Curtain
  • The Laughing Jesus: Religious Lies and Gnostic Wisdom
  • Be As You Are: The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi
  • The Book of Mirdad: The Strange Story of a Monastery Which Was Once Called the Ark
  • Oneness With All Life: Inspirational Selections from A New Earth
  • If the Buddha Married: Creating Enduring Relationships on a Spiritual Path
  • Living in the Heart: How to Enter Into the Sacred Space Within the Heart [With CD]
  • Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living
  • Religions, Values, and Peak-Experiences
  • Battle for the Mind: A Physiology of Conversion and Brainwashing - How Evangelists, Psychiatrists, Politicians, and Medicine Men Can Change Your Beliefs and Behavior
  • Kiss That Frog!: 12 Great Ways to Turn Negatives into Positives in Your Life and Work
One of the most provocative and inspiring spiritual teachers of the twentieth century, Osho defies categorization - reflecting everything from the individual quest for meaning to the most urgent social and political issues facing society today. His books are not written but are transcribed from recordings of extemporaneous talks given over a period of thirty-five years. Osho has been described by ...more
More about Osho...

Osho Insights for a new way of living (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Fear: Understanding and Accepting the Insecurities of Life
  • Intelligence: The Creative Response to Now
  • Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
  • Intuition: Knowing Beyond Logic
  • Joy: The Happiness That Comes from Within

“They say: Think twice before you jump. I say: Jump first and then think as much as you want!” 194 likes
“Don't try to understand life. Live it! Don't try to understand love. Move into love. Then you will know - and all that knowing will come out of your experiencing. The more you know, the more you know that much remains to be known.” 64 likes