Courage : the joy of living dangerously

Courage : the joy of living dangerously (Osho Insights for a new way of living )

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  1,566 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Courage is not the absence of fear, says Osho. It is, rather, the total presence of fear, with the courage to face it. This book provides a bird's-eye view of the whole terrain--where fears originate, how to understand them, and how to find the courage to face them. In the process, Osho proposes that whenever we are faced with uncertainty and change in our lives, it is act...more
Published April 1st 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Courage , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Courage

Vincent
Ive read this book twice, and each time afterward felt the need to purchase 20 copies and give them to total strangers. Osho's approach to religion/spirituality is simple, he uses common sense and fearless boldness to knock down our preconcieved notions of our approach to life. This is an amazing, easy read, and should be required reading for all.
David
Sep 30, 2009 David rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
'Life is an adventure or it's nothing'. Who said that? I thoroughly agree. There are always obstacles and fears at every point, and the danger is always to give up and lose sight of one's dream. The dream is what gives life it's freshness. Even if it is lost sight of on occasion, the high peak is still there, beckoning you on, obscured often by mist and lower peaks. As Goethe said, 'Whosoever continually strives upward - him can we save'. I have always continually strived towards the object of m...more
Robert Geer
May 18, 2012 Robert Geer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: Osho
Churches, religions, organized sects-they teach you to pray. But in fact they hinder you from praying because prayer is a spontaneous phenomenon, it cannot be taught. If you have been taught a prayer in your childhood, you have been prevented from a beautiful experience that could have happened. Pg 71

If you talk to a rose, which is more alive than any stone image, which is more divine than any stone image...If you talk to a tree, which is more deeply rooted in God than any cross because no cro...more
Leyla
i'm on a whole OSHO trip as of late. I am totally digging on this guy.

tim robbins says of him-"were enough americans to heed the brilliantly provocative words in this book, we might actually become "the land of the free and the home of the brave. 'imagine that!"

if i was taught this stuff instead of that other mumbo jumbo in catechism, i might have enjoyed my mistakes more. but i'm glad it came along when it did. (thanks AGAIN trevor, my literary guide!)
Pradeep Thakur
If you have not read or listen Osho, one of the Great Spiritual Masters of our time...he was the great motivator of mankind...you must read his works.

This work is one his great works. In this book Osho says: whenever we are faced with uncertainty and change in our lives, it is actually a cause for celebration. Instead of trying to hang on to the familiar and the known, we can learn to enjoy these situations as opportunities for adventure and for deepening our understanding of ourselves and the w...more
Michelle
Even if you're not a follower of eastern philosophy, this book is an inspiration. It encourages the reader to live outside of the confines of their own ideals, to take chances in all areas of life, and to be comfortable with those choices.
Adam.delconte
So perfect. I don't know if I could ever move this over onto the "read" shelf, cause it just sits on my table and I pick it up and reread pages at a time. It's like wholesome snackfood for your heart.
Adrienne S.
Osho repeats himself quite a bit, but all the better to get a point across. If you are afraid of anything, Osho will make all your fears and anxiety melt away.

This is my second time reading this.
Elisevina
Before reading this book I was very sceptic about Osho and his books, therefore it serves as a proof that it is not wise to judge about something before you haven't tried it out. And I did, I read it and now I know for sure that this will be the book I will look up on a bad mood day or at times when I need some supportative word at hand. Simple language, easy to understand, lots of food for thought as well as encouragement.
Carter
Although this book gave insight into the condition of fear I felt the author's own bias and agenda affected the book in a negative way. Osho seemed less like a sage and more like a bitter, self-righteous person through the examples he gave and the way he presented the information. Still, there were some moments of unbiased clarity and I did gain insight from those sections of the book.
Srikanth
Lot of interesting and inspiring points which can be followed in our daily lives, I could say those were not much philosopical rather it can taken into practical day to day life. In terms of editing, I dont like that couple of points repeated thro' out the book - anyway, we could look at in a way that those were insisted across pages. Anyway, its nice book.
Erin
Never has a book effected my life so profoundly. It saved me at a time when I was hanging by a string and consumed by blackness. Its wisdom on love and forgiveness are the best advice I have ever read. His ideas on religion helped me realize my own beliefs.
Sundeep Supertramp
MIND BLOWING READ...

Osho has a special book for every person. I would call this my-type. Osho is one of my favourite author and he is the best. He is one of his kind. He doesn't give anyone any philosophy (a fixed formula) to anyone, if it seemed like he gave you some philosophy, then take it, follow it, never let it go..

This book is follows a concept of living every moment of your life and thats how you should live. If you are not familiar with Osho and his teaching, then this would give you a...more
Craig Williams
I really enjoyed this book and found it really inspirational. I tend to agree with Osho that the two states of being are "fear" and "love". Although the movie Donnie Darko tore this type of philosophy a new asshole, I still think that Osho, and later comedian Bill Hicks, were on to something when they encouraged people to try love over fear. Anyway, this book is very short, but sweet. Pick it up if you're needing spiritual wind in your sails.
Jon
Aug 24, 2007 Jon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking to see life through a slightly different lense
This is a great introduction to Osho's spiritual philosophy. I highly recommend Osho's entire "insights to a new way of living" series. It's some of his lighter fare when compared to his more political and anti-establishment discourses. For critical readers out there, keep in mind that Osho's books are essentially transcripts of lectures and discourses, and not well thought out works of literature.
Raghu2chill
osho is an great author.... he's great at telling the most complex things in the simpler manner.... its a must read book... you r not going 2 read the book you r going to involve in the book once u started to open the book...hav fun feel your courage.... do the unknown....the examples in the book are mind blowing they r very simple with deep meaning....
Rosalind M
A little repetitive, and at times self-contradictory. But there are some ideas that are worth following here--accepting fear, releasing masks, not following the crowd but being an individual. It was worth reading, slowly, for even digestion. Don't skim this one.
Manvir
its the best book i have ever gone through. you really need a courage to read this book. you can not finish reading it but you can keep this book on your side bed because you'll love to read it daily before going to bed.
Morrigan
There were some tidbits of wisdom here but most of it was just a poorly written mishmash of Eastern thought with some of the author's own ideas in it. I was not impressed.
Sumit
A krishna is krishna, buddha is buddha and you are you. You are not in any ways less than any one else. Listen to your inner voice and follow it.
Dolphindancer24
Dec 20, 2008 Dolphindancer24 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I have read it several times and each time I re-read it it has new meaning given how my life has grown.
Tony Kaldas
Osho as usual is a person who always gives you the truth in your face!
Linty
Good old osho...that nutty spiritual rebel.
Jen
stunning so far, still reading...
Atul Sabnis
It is quintessential Osho.

Like some of the other books in the series, it's a call to discover all that's forgotten while we goabout living our lives the way we have learnt to, or have been told to. Like many such similar books, it sounds wonderfully real and true, while we ponder the practicality of it all. And such cynicism is ironical, after having read the book.

Osho talks of courage - the opposite of fear. And elsewhere he talks of fear as the absence of love. Somewhere, in my head, courage b...more
Justine Kelly
I really enjoyed this thought provoking book, although I didn’t agree with everything in it. Osho wouldn’t mind- he likes doubt.
For me Osho is a little too judgmental of people who live ‘ordinary’ lives, not ‘brave’ lives. I know people in the suburbs who are delightfully happy and it’s not an act. At the same time I know many that just want to scream too- this book is for them.

Osho also edges dangerously close to echoing pseudo gurus/ cult leaders at times, with his materialistic swing on happ...more
Jaber
4.5\5

Osho as usual is funny, interesting, bold and effective in his writing, it's simply Osho, you can feel him speaking "from the heart"

-0.5 because it's not in a book form ..as usual
(Osho said he didn't write books and prefered to have his talks written and gathered in books cz his spelling is worse than his pronunciation =)) )
David Peirce
I've read 3 books by Osho now. I think all were probably written from his talks. They don't work for me. I find Thich Nhat Hanh, Pema Chodron, and Alan Watts to be far clearer teachers and more pleasing in tone. I don't have a lot of comment on the content of this book. It's standard courage/fear content from an eastern perspective.
Gagan Jodhani
A very well written book. I can say this book has helped me develop a lot of ideas about life. I wouldn't agree with all osho has to say, but, most of the things he says are simply amazing. I would say this is a must read if you are looking to get in touch with your inner core.
Ghadah;
I think i will stop kidding myself now and just admit that i can't finish this book any time in the near or far future.
I don't know why i'm having such a hard time reading this one, because i usually enjoy spiritual and inspirational talk. However, every time i open this book, the maximum of pages that i can go through is very few. And it leaves me feeling irritated.
I guess i'm not free enough to grasp the meaning of what Osho was trying to teach.
This whole review does not omit the fact that thi...more
  • The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment
  • Freedom from the Known
  • Creating Money: Keys to Abundance
  • Be as You Are: The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi
  • Oneness With All Life Treasury Edition: Inspirational Selections from A New Earth
  • The Laughing Jesus: Religious Lies and Gnostic Wisdom
  • Become What You Are
  • Home with God: In a Life That Never Ends
  • The Diamond in Your Pocket: Discovering Your True Radiance
  • Wen-Tzu
  • Religions, Values, and Peak-Experiences
  • The Book of Mirdad: The Strange Story of a Monastery Which Was Once Called the Ark
  • Man's Search for Himself
  • The Tao Is Silent
  • I Am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
  • The Art of Power
  • The Self-Aware Universe: How Consciousness Creates the Material World
  • The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life: Volume 2
One of the most provocative and inspiring spiritual teachers of the twentieth century, Osho defies categorization - reflecting everything from the individual quest for meaning to the most urgent social and political issues facing society today. His books are not written but are transcribed from recordings of extemporaneous talks given over a period of thirty-five years. Osho has been described by...more
More about Osho...
Love, Freedom, and Aloneness: The Koan of Relationships The Book of Secrets (Vigyan Bhairav Tantra ) Creativity: Unleashing the Forces Within Freedom: The Courage to Be Yourself Intuition: Knowing Beyond Logic

“They say: Think twice before you jump. I say: Jump first and then think as much as you want!” 117 likes
“Don't try to understand life. Live it! Don't try to understand love. Move into love. Then you will know - and all that knowing will come out of your experiencing. The more you know, the more you know that much remains to be known.” 29 likes