Start by marking “Witness in Our Time: Working Lives of Documentary Photographers” as Want to Read:
Witness in Our Time: Working Lives of Documentary Photographers

Witness in Our Time: Working Lives of Documentary Photographers

Documentary photographers explore the crucial issues and events of our time. Building on the traditions and passions of their predecessors, they are devising new strategies to address the obstacles and opportunities created by rapid media changes and intensified cross-cultural contact. Witness in Our Time traces the recent history of social documentary photography in the w ...more
Published October 17th 2000 by Smithsonian Books (DC) (first published September 17th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Witness in Our Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witness in Our Time

Tim Cowley
Dec 12, 2012 Tim Cowley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Light includes work by Hansel Mieth (The Depression; the early days of "Life"), Walter Rosenblum's reminiscences on Lewis Hine, Paul Strand and the Photo League; Michelle Vignes and the formation of the Magnum Photo Agency; Wayne Miller; Peter Magubane's fascinating and challenging work as a black photographer in Apartheid South Africa; Matt Herron's coverage on the civil rights movement; and others including Jill Freedman, Mary Ellen Mark, Earl Dotter, Eugene Richards, Susan Meiselas, Sebastiao ...more
Michael
Dec 09, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books on photography I have read, a must-read if you are interested in documentary photography.

Note that there is just one picture per chapter, so if you are looking for a book of photographs, that's not it (even though almost all of the pictures chosen are remarkable). It is in fact fine, as the text is excellent, but of course by the time you're done reading, you'll probably order a couple of books by the photographers interviewed.

Indeed, what makes this book fascinating is th
Veronica
May 30, 2012 Veronica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! Although the biographies I've read so far are about photographers from the depression era and 60's era, the stories are very relatable to everything happening now with the Occupy Movements. It's inspiring to hear about everything photographers had to endure when getting a great photo they could share with the world- sort of similar to people now sharing You Tube videos of injustices happening all over the world.
Roland
Apr 26, 2008 Roland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
It is an amazing book. 22 photographers and editors/curators in it, from the 1930s to current times - why they chose documentary photography, what they saw, what they did.
I highly recommend it to everyone.
Kathyleistner Leistner
Loved it. Learned so much about the early documentary photographers. Originally, bought it to read about Jill Freedman.
Tolga Tomac
Tolga Tomac rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2013
Santiago Mirón
Santiago Mirón rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2009
Eduardo Lima
Eduardo Lima rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Yani Clarke
Yani Clarke rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2013
Harold
Harold rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Nel'Y
Nel'Y rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Nazlihan
Nazlihan rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2009
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2008
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2015
Jesse Angelo
Jesse Angelo rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2010
John Barduhn
John Barduhn rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
David Sumner
David Sumner rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Pac Mclaurin
Pac Mclaurin rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Élisabeth Tattersall~Lara
Élisabeth Tattersall~Lara rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Kendra
Kendra rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2008
Jim Hunter
Jim Hunter rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2011
pj finn
pj finn rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Ian
Ian rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Vaughn
Vaughn rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2011
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2007
Duc Le
Duc Le rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2010
Zoshia
Zoshia rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015