Start by marking “Wabi Sabi Love: The Ancient Art of Finding Perfect Love in Imperfect Relationships” as Want to Read:

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Love. It’s right up there with air, food, and water as the most necessary of ingredients for existence. And yet it is one of the hardest things to find, and perhaps an even harder thing to hold on to.

The truth is you’re not perfect, and neither is your partner. But you can be perfectly imperfect together. In Wabi Sabi Love, international bestselling author and relationship
Published January 3rd 2012 by HarperOne (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Wabi Sabi Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wabi Sabi Love

Christina
Modern Lovers: take note of Arielle Ford, the smart couple's guide to thriving in an enduring relationship.

I've read a Dr. Laura book, and I can tell you to forget Dr. Laura and the Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage book she wrote.

Arielle Ford espouses a lot of the same things yet does so in a sane, logical way.

Move over, Dr. Laura: you're obsolete.

The new therapist is in: Arielle Ford. What she writes makes perfect sense. You will ignore Wabi Sabi love at your own peril.

It's one of the greate
Bea Bolinger
It's a fact that happily married couples fight as often as couples headed for divorce, so what's the difference? It's how the disagreements are handled. The four deadly sins are Critism, Contempt, Defensiveness and Stonewalling. Need help breaking down your own defenses so you are a better communicator then I would recommend Wabi Sabi Love. A bit repeative but full of wonderful, real-life, illustrations; my favorite, the wife who's husband loves poppyseed bagels and eats one everyday. You can fo ...more
Jessica Rick
I love tiny books that pack a wallop. Arielle Ford lays down principles to guide relationships and provides real life examples of couples who have gone through problems and applied said principles.

So many little gems throughout! I highlighted many passages and points int he book. Here are a small handful that spoke to me: (i) "A twenty second hug releases the bonding hormone and neurotransmitter oxytocin" (ii) "Agree to explore than than solve. Research has shown that 70 percent of issues don't
I thought this was a great book about relationships -- mainly focusing on co-habitation with your significant other, and learning to deal with his/her quirks. There are several different scenarios given, with many examples of diverse couples going through something, so the characters Ford uses are relate-able to the reader in some capacity. A very interesting read for anyone in a relationship -- whether there are quirks or not.
Libby
The case studies of successful relationships make this book valuable (did you know that Barack Obama was a slob, dropping his clothes wherever?), but some of the author's advice--e.g., get involved with your partner's interests--seem less valuable. After all, one doesn't want to--nor should one--become a clone of your beloved. That said, though, there is helpful information here.
Sunflower
What is Wabi-sabi? Apart from a little catch-phrase that might help to sell the book? "Pared down to it's barest essence, wabi-sabi is the Japanese art of finding beauty in imperfection and profundity in nature, of accepting the natural cycle of growth, decay and death. It...reveres authenticiy above all. It celebrates cracks, crevices and all the other marks that time, weather, and loving use leave behind". Or from another source: "It is a Japanese asthetic, in which things are imperfect, imper ...more
Lo
I am really unsure what this author was basing their 'sage advice' off of and this book left me wanting the entire time. Most of the advice given in this book could be taken horribly out of context and seems to admonish "ask not what you can do for yourself, but what you can for the person you've decided to attach yourself to".

Relationships are not easy, but they also shouldn't be forced, which the author seemed to advocate at times (i.e. teaching yourself to enjoy football so you and your sign
Michele
Through a series of love stories, Arielle provides concrete examples of the main idea of her book - There can be love and beauty in the imperfect. She demonstrates how to reshape your circumstances with your loved one so that the very things that annoy you about them can become the things you love about them. While the book is mostly themed toward romantic relationships, I found the lessons to be applicable to all of my favorite people on the planet. The POV offered in the book has given me some ...more
Keeley
I found this book so incredibly helpful! I read it just as my boyfriend and I were preparing to move in together and it helped me see all of the little irritations and flaws (on both of our parts) as part of the entire, perfect picture that is our relationship. Ford highlights real stories of real couples and uses them to illustrate lessons in accepting the flaws in yourself and your partner as beautiful, because it makes both of you who you are as a couple and as individuals. Whether you're sin ...more
Alyssa
It was extremely difficult for me to get through this book. Truth be told, I was adding a ton of library e-books to my wish list & accidentally added this one. Wabi Sabi in my rushed mind was supposed to be a cookbook or something interesting about wasabi. I should slow down & read the summaries before downloading. Anyhow, it's not about food at all. It's a relationship book & an extremely corny one at times (most of the time.) It has maybe two little gems of paragraphs that I highli ...more
Marjorie Elwood
I would have given this a 3.5 if I could have - I appreciated the suggestions and concepts, as well as some of the exercises to improve one's relationship, but it was fairly simplistic. In addition, there was one portion that annoyed me: it seemed as though she was promoting fawning over men and appearing less competent than you are in order to attract men, although others have told me that they didn't interpret the passage in the same fashion.
Valerie
This is one of the best books I've read about relationship. This helps me to decide if I deserve to get marry or not. At first, I really don't like to get into relationship because I am very devastated but after reading this book, it changes my thinking and realize I love to experience to have a good relationship. I thought guys have a big problem but I was wrong. I highly recommend this book for those who want to succeed in marriage. ;)
IvyLaArtista
This is a great read for those who want to discover the art of loving another by embracing their imperfections as part of what makes them perfect. It was definitely an easy, entertaining read that will keep you engaged. Arielle Ford seems to be writing it with the married person in mind, but I think it's great material for those in relationships or even preparation if you want to be in a healthy relationship one day. I recommend it!
Amy Lesher
Wabi Sabi is an ancient Japanese art form that seeks to find the perfection in the imperfection. Keeping this in mind, we are continually reminded to see the positives in the negatives--to find the gift that is always there. Full of real-life "couple" transformation stories followed by practical perception- and relationship-altering exercises. An easy, insightful read for anyone looking to be reminded of the silver lining.
Amy
This book is an easy, typical self-help read that had some good principles in it. Some were based on the art of wabi sabi while others seemed to be more in alignment with cognitive therapy - changing the way you think about the imperfections of your partner. There was a good definition of intimacy in the book and examples of real couples struggling to come to terms with their differences in each chapter.
Jill
i liked the concept of Wabi Sabi Love (Wabi Sabi, the Japanese concept of the perfection in imperfection). But this is really just another talk-show self-help book, where every anecdotal relationship ends in some kind of positive lesson. It's just kind of lame...some of the ideas got me thinking from a different perspective, but overall it is just a little too pat to be inspiring.
Royale
3.5 Great perspective, but fairly basic. Could have been a bit more substantial.
Dani
A terrific book to read when your significant other is really, really, really getting on your nerves. It'll help you lighten up a lot. The bottom line is that it's our expectation of perfection that gets in the way of two imperfect people having a great relationship that only gets better over time. Read it. It'll make you feel better.
Regina Hunter
Do not get me wrong, book is lovely, caring and nice, but human with any common sense can figure these things out by themselves. If person does not want to do these things willingly without anyone telling him otherwise, either person is a moron, or he doesn't want to be in a relationship.
Hazel
I started reading this book & wasn't buying what Ford was saying. It seemed to me that she was basically saying you had to put up with whatever annoying behaviour your partner does. So I quickly lost interest in this book, quit reading it & returned it to the library.
Jennifer Barry
This is a great book that addresses the imperfection of couples and how embracing the imperfections or differences can change our perception and love. Arielle is great at weaving personal stories through meaningful lessons and concepts.
MelJoy
If you've read other "self-help" relationship books, you've read this one already. Arielle has a unique label for what others have written and suggested before. Someone will read this book and find something new, perhaps.
Brooke Colbert
This concept was new to me and I loved it! If you are a self help sponge this one is for you. If you like/need to step outside your comfort zone, who doesn't, this one is a quick read that could help broaden your horizons.
Lauren
This book is outstanding! I stumbled upon it by chance, reading reviews for other books. It is full of heart-opening stories and timeless wisdom. Well-written, too. Highly recommended!
Bradley
I really love the premise of this book. Wabi Sabi is trying to make peace with the imperfections of life. I like to think of it as finding the beauty in the brokenness.
Joann
Enjoyed this in the big picture, but got bogged down in some of the too-cute stories. Did have some insights...
Mripma
I like admitting imperfection and this book was all about that.
Jen Gilbert
Pretty good book. Has some nuggets of wisdom for sure.
Anna Maria
Some good points to keep in mind when in a relationship.
Sheri Byrd
SO, so, so, so, so important! Beautiful truth here.
  • If... (Questions For The Game of Life)
  • Fat, Broke & Lonely No More: Your Personal Solution to Overeating, Overspending, and Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places
  • Creative Thinkering: Putting Your Imagination to Work
  • Dreaming: A Very Short Introduction
  • Looks: Why They Matter More Than You Ever Imagined
  • Oneness With All Life Treasury Edition: Inspirational Selections from A New Earth
  • The Key: A True Encounter
  • Frumpy to Fabulous: Flaunting It. Your Ultimate Guide to Effortless Style
  • Majic Man (Nathan Heller, #11)
  • The Ghost in the First Row (The Boxcar Children, #112)
  • The 2012 Story: The Myths, Fallacies, and Truth Behind the Most Intriguing Date in History
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • The Spiritual Brain: A Neuroscientist's Case for the Existence of the Soul
  • The Economics of Enough: How to Run the Economy as If the Future Matters
  • Sexual Intelligence: What We Really Want from Sex--and How to Get It
  • Cicada Summer
  • ScreamFree Marriage: Calming Down, Growing Up, and Getting Closer
  • Decoding Love: Why It Takes Twelve Frogs to Find a Prince, and Other Revelations from the Science of Attraction
Arielle Ford has spent the past 25 years living and promoting consciousness through all forms of media. She is one of the founding partners of the Spiritual Cinema Circle, a DVD club dedicated to providing movies about love and compassion. She is the author of seven books, including the Hot Chocolate for the Mystical Soul series and her newest book, The Soulmate Secret: Manifest The Love of Your L ...more
More about Arielle Ford...
The Soulmate Secret: Manifest the Love of Your Life with the Law of Attraction Hot Chocolate for the Mystical Soul: 101 True Stories of Angels, Miracles, and Healings Hot Chocolate for the Mystical Teenage Soul Hot Chocolate for the Mystical Lover: 101 True Stories of Soul Mates Brought Together by Divine Intervention Magical Souvenirs: Mystical Travel Stories from Around the World

“When the Japanese mend broken objects, they fill the cracks with gold. They believe that when something’s suffered damage and has a history it becomes more beautiful.—Barbara Bloom” 0 likes