Start by marking “The Best of Archie Comics” as Want to Read:
The Best of Archie Comics

The Best of Archie Comics

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  1,163 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Celebrate 70 years of Archie Comics fun with this massive full-color collection of over 50 favorite comic book stories hand-selected by noted Archie writers, artists, editors and historians. Also included are loads of entertaining behind-the-scenes anecdotes about the comics, their creators, and Archie's unique impact on America's pop culture!

Designed for young and old ali
Published August 16th 2011 by Archie Comics

Smile by Raina TelgemeierThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickBone, Vol. 1 by Jeff SmithDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyAmulet, Vol. 1 by Kazu Kibuishi
Best Graphic Novels for Children
55th out of 576 books — 754 voters
Bone, Vol. 5 by Jeff SmithCabin Fever by Jeff KinneyBone, Vol. 3 by Jeff SmithBone, Vol. 7 by Jeff SmithBone by Jeff Smith
bone
12th out of 13 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Janus Vielle (The Blair Book Project)
You know those moments when you find stuff in your room that relates so much to your childhood and you feel the sudden pull of nostalgia? Well, I kind of felt that way when I saw the Best of Archie Comics while I was visiting a local bookstore near where I live.

Archie comics were one of the biggest influences for my reading habit... okay, scratch that, I’ll admit it somehow grown into an obsession. A good one, not a bad thing I swear (yeah, keep telling yourself that!).

I started reading Archie
LiteraryMarie
Chickadee grew up reading Archie Comics. I grew up reading Archie Comics. My peers grew up reading Archie Comics. I remember times when we would pick up the latest copy from the grocery store newsstand or the local comic book store. I would be so excited to read the adventures of Archie and friends (Veronica, Betty, Jughead, Big Moose, Reggie, Miss Grundy, and Mr. Weatherbee). After a while, I stopped collecting the comics and moved on to literature. But the famous comic that started in 1941 is ...more
Lina
I adore Archie Comics, they are a very long-lasting part of my childhood that got past down to me by my god-mother. What I really enjoyed about reading this anthology is seeing gender, race and other things evolving from when the books first originated in the 40's to now.

To think that a comic like Archie which is so small-town, conservative looking has issues about: diversity, feminism, inter-racial romance and inter-racial homosexual romance just proves to me why they have managed to last for
Sandipan Goswami
A delight for every Archie fan! I have grown up reading Archie comics and the characters are almost like my real friends. Some of the stories are pretty average but some are gems. Especially the one in which Little Betty asks Little Archie to accompany her home after school; it was sweet and slightly melancholic. And the story were all the friends reunite at The Chocklit Shoppe after many years.(view spoiler) That hug between Ju ...more
Mary Grace Nakao
Archie comics is the one that got me into collecting books. Ever since I was little, I would save up some money for me to able to buy it. But since this is a bit pricey in my country, (and honestly, I have other books I would love to read) I stopped buying. Thank goodness I found this in our local bookstore though. I absolutely love it!! I was reminded why I fell in love with it in the first place. Maybe sometime in the future, I will start buying their digests again ;D
Rachael Graham
Includes some repeats from Dark Horse's Archie Firsts collection, but I love this format and so happy they are going on with these! :)
Kathryn
((From my blog))

The Best of Archie Comics is, as the title and blurb suggest, a retrospective that goes from the 1940s, when Archie first appeared, through to the present day. It's divided up into decades and showcases some shorter pieces from each one, with the main focus being Archie and its related titles, although some other series (Lil' Jinx, for example) do make an appearance. Whilst most of the pages are dedicated to reprinted full-page stories, there are cover art galleries and some page
Aimee
I loved this! It really brought me back to my childhood.

This is the first book in the 'Best of Archie comics', it was fun seeing how Archie has developed throughout the years. It starts with 1940's Archie and I really enjoyed seeing the art style change. I especially loved the parts with Sabrina.

I'd definitely recommend this if you are a fan of Archie and have grown up with the comics. It was cute and fun.
York
¿ustedes sabían que Archie tiene una especie de canon oficial? yo tampoco pero me fui enterando sobre él conforme avancé por esta entrañable recopilación que retrata las distintas facetas de esta publicación durante los últimos 70 años. La belleza de Archie es que tuvo la gracia de convertirse en un retrato, ingenuo y bidimensional de la juventud de cada década. Entonces tenemos retratada su etapa hippie musical, la inocente de una década antes con historias de cortejo ñoñas y tiernas, los ochen ...more
Rashel Seva
This is my very first Archie Comic book that I owned, and I really enjoyed reading it. It was nice that it showed the generations of the Archie Comics on how they evolved to what Archie is today. It was interesting to know the history of the Archie Comics since I grew up with it.

The comics were very humorous especially the last, which was about Jinx, and I really laughed out loud reading it. The graphics and the backgrounds were all very lively and colorful, and the details were great. You coul
Hannah Givens
Super fun look at the history of Archie Comics, reprinting a wide variety of stories from the oldest to the most current. Really gives a good flavor of Archie through the years, and the stories are fun to read on their own merit too!
Lai Valenzuela
This is a great book and I am enjoying it immensely! Its great seeing the evolution of the comic digest and how it is revamped to match our current decade. I definitely would recommend this book to anyone that has ever been curious about Archie's long run and how much it has changed, or if they simply would like to have a collection of some of the best work.

The only downside to this book is that it couldn't cover everything. It is even mentioned in the welcome page that they had to restrict the
Gregory
This is a good collection featuring the best Archie stories from the past 70 years. I have always enjoyed reading Archie as a child alongside Superheroes. As an adult, I still love reading these stories. One of my friends have called me "Archie Boy" and guess what? I am a Archie fan.

This collection is for both old and new fans to enjoy while catching up on the current adventures of the Riverdale Gang.
Angélica
I love Archie comics. What I loved about this collection is seeing how Archie & Co. evolved from the 40s to the present. All I have to do now is to buy all the Americana specials. I especially like the 40s-60s styles. That's all I have to say in this review. :)
Carmela
when saw this comics in the bookstore. I just literally grabbed it. If yoi want plain down to earth humor then Archie and the gang have it. It totally gived me this nostalgic feeling when i started reding it. brought me back to elementary days. hehe!
Johanna Flores
This comic book is one of the reasons why I came to love reading and got me my corny personality. Hahaha. 5 Stars to whoever made this!! I definitely missed laughing to Jughead and Archie's tandem. Archie comics will never get old! More power, Arch! :)
Jacob
Quite a deal, I will probably buy this book even though I own some of the stories in other collections. $10 for over 400 pages for over 70 years worth of content, it's pretty much double the going rate matching dollar to page count.

Kerry Lim
i absolutely loved this book:) there are some articles or comic strips here that i did not know about archie like the gang used to call him chic:)) my fave part here is when he and ronnie got married.i personally like betty for him.
Shilpa
Totally worth it folks. From the very 1st comic to Veronica's intro to the best retro Katy Keene pinups to how Dipsy Doodles came to be and why they wanted a teenaged, imperfect L'il Jinx. Yum.
Andi
Aaahhhh my childhood. Still as funny as ever.

I lost my Archie collection when my family moved to Canada nearly a decade ago. When I saw this bind up at Walmart, I had to buy it. As I was reading this, I feel like no time has passed. It felt like it was just yesterday when I last saw these Riverdale residents. Everything was just as good as it was years ago, even the colored pages smelled familiar. I felt like I was a part of the gang again.

The only reason I knocked off one star is because there
Brittany Tuck
My favorite pre-teen pastime! Own about 125 of these...
Archie
Archie and Friends
Archie's Pals 'n' Gals
Betty
Betty and Veronica
Jughead
Andrew Huff
I didn't grow up reading DC or Marvel. Archie and the gang were my favorite comics.

I think "Best" in the title is a little misleading. This is more of a broad survey of Archie Comics (including the non-Archie titles). However, I did enjoy the selections they included--even the newer stuff that I had not previously been interested in (the wedding/marriage titles) that I may check out now.

Mixed in with the comics were some stories about the history of the franchise, including decade overviews that
Sarah Channer-smithson
When I saw this in Walmart, I knew I just had to have it. I've been reading Archie comics since I was like 6 years old. I would take the comics from my cousin's bookshelf and read them. Then when I was able to buy my own I would every time I went to the store. There's something so wondefully beautiful about Archie comics and I can even re-read the same ones over and over.

I just love that they've created a book with not only comics but comics from the very beginning. Totally worth the read if yo
Nikko
I love, love, love, love Archie Comics!!
Yukiraking
I really enjoyed this collection. While I've read plenty of Archie comics before, I was surprised to see that I'd never read any of the collection the team at Archie Comics put together in this book. I was pleasantly surprised by the little introductions provided for each and every story in the collection, and highly enjoyed reading about Archie Comics throughout each decade of their seventy years. While I didn't particularly care for the earliest stuff, I still found it interesting to see how t ...more
Cameron
Archie is a hilarious series. Every book is full of many funny comics. All the caracters have special personalities that make the stories even better. You should deffinetly read one of the books they are full of jokes, puns and are just plain amazing.
Abigail
I read Best of Archie Comics Book 2 before I read this one, but there's a reason it's 'book 2'. This book honestly had the best Archie comics I've ever read, some of them were short (too short!) but I loved the walk down Archie memory lane. Most of the comics were before my time, dating back to when my Grandfather were a boy, some back to when my mother was a child and eventually to where I am now - a teenager in 2014. It never ceases to amaze me how timeless Archie is - how timeless being a tee ...more
Sacha
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tomi
Mar 12, 2015 Tomi added it
It was a good book i would recommend this book to my class mate in grade 5 and other teenagers who likes comics and it's funny too! so i would give it a 4.5 out 5.
Anyone read these? 2 12 Sep 25, 2012 04:23PM
  • Archie: The Married Life Book 1
  • Archie: The Married Life Book 2
  • Archie Americana Series: Best of the Forties, Vol. 1
  • Archie: The Love Showdown Collection
  • Alab ng Puso sa Dibdib Mo'y Buhay! (Kikomachine Komix, #5)
  • Archie and Friends (Archie and Friends #82)
  • Last Seen After Midnight (Trese, #4)
  • Betty and Veronica: Storybook
  • Lewis & Clark
  • The Best of Chico & Delamar's The Morning Rush Top 10
  • My Perfect Guy (Sweet Valley Jr. High, #14)
The Best of Archie Comics, Book 2 The Best of Archie Comics, Book 3 Archie 1000 Page Comics Digest Archie 1000 Page Comics Extravaganza Archie Comics Spectacular: It's a Date