Start by marking “The Jekyl Island Club” as Want to Read:
The Jekyl Island Club

The Jekyl Island Club

Located on the idyllic Georgia coast, Jekyl Island was the playground of the rich at the turn of the last century. Vanderbilts, Goulds, Rockefellers, and other members of elite society vacationed there, enjoying the finest aspects of Southern hospitality that money could buy and importing the rest from New York. Indeed, the money was good: the club's one hundred members co ...more
Published June 5th 2001 by Minotaur Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Jekyl Island Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jekyl Island Club

Ryan Bernard
May 07, 2017 Ryan Bernard rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Your standard period murder mystery. Tends to be slow and lack true action scenes. While historically interesting, the story felt stale and dragged more often then not. Simply average.
Madeline Griffin
Feb 26, 2017 Madeline Griffin rated it really liked it
This was a very fun read. I have been to Jekyll Is;and many times, and enjoyed the book immensely. Well written and a good depiction of 1899 and Pulitzer, Morgan, etc.
Linda
This book started out very slow. It took me a long time to get interested in the plot. I liked the sheriff from the beginning, and the conflict between J.P. Morgan and Joseph Pulitzer was interesting. I was happy with the ending.
Dan Gladwell
Aug 16, 2010 Dan Gladwell rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
"Great page turner" is a spectacularly apt way to describe the Jekyl Island Club. It is a little slow in the beginning, but once it gets going (about 20 pages in), it's incredibly hard to put down. In fact, I finished the book in two nights, staying up until 6am. It's a great read, but not a book that will stay with you for an extended period of time.

Brent Monahan knows how to do develop some decent characters. I was introduced to the author while reading the "Book of Common Dread", one of my al
Jtomassetti
Oct 06, 2009 Jtomassetti rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Jekyl Island Club by Brent Monahan is a must read for those who have visited Jekyll Island off the southeast coast of Georgia. (During the era of the book the name of the island did not have the second L). On the island today the restored hotel, The Jekyll Island Club, and "cottages" built by the millionaires who originally developed the island more than one hundred years ago still exist. This mystery takes the reader back to the time when the millionaires ran Jekyl as their own private vaca ...more
Donna
Oct 24, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have finished this waaaaay before now but hurricane evacuation kind of put a dent in my reading momentum.

This book is good on several levels. The plot has a good twist to it & you really don't know "who dunnit" till the end. (As any good mystery novel operates.) The characters are easy to visualize. The setting is familiar. I live on St Simons Island but I've spent a fair amount of time on Jekyll (current correct spelling), poking through the restored "cottages" & it was amazing
Elizabeth Hunter
I finally got hold of the first of Monahan's John Le Brun books. Having read the next two, I knew the solution, so it was mostly a matter of learning the whole story. As always, the history and issues of the day were the most interesting part of the experience. The mystery is a nice, tangly one, but the key clue was left to dangle past plausibility and the denouement seemed vague and anti-climactic. I enjoyed his deputy chief, Tidewell, who has almost no role in either of the subsequent books in ...more
Lori Robinett
Oct 10, 2013 Lori Robinett rated it it was ok
I started reading this book while vacationing in Gulf Shores, Alabama. It was too heavy a book, with lots of characters and history and description. It was a bit overwhelming and difficult to keep track of who was doing what, with who, and why. The description was beautiful, and I enjoyed the inclusion of historical figures. The author did a good job of showing the human side of recognizable characters.

After 9 months of occasionally picking the book up and reading a bit, I decided it was time t
Anna
Jun 18, 2012 Anna rated it liked it
Easy fun mystery that I read because we had just vacationed on Jekyl Island. It is amazing to think that Jekyl was once owned by the richest people in America and now it belongs to the state! I thought the conspiracy theory of the USS Maine at the end of the book was a bit silly but otherwise it was amusing to read of J.P. Morgan and Thomas B. Reed as murder suspects! I loved Warfield - what a great character - a lawyer who got fired as the scapegoat for a firm that was padding the books so beco ...more
Graceann
Nov 28, 2007 Graceann rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
A murder mystery set at the mythic Jekyl Island Club (and it was spelled that way in the beginning), among the richest folks in their 20-room "cottages." All the intrigues and petty rivalries are here, as is the Upstairs, Downstairs kind of atmosphere one expects to see among the rich and their servants. Ripping good yarn.
Oceana2602
I've been to Jekyll Island. I remember swimming in the hotel pool outside when it rained like crazy, and watching movies on HBO when I decided that I couldn't get any wetter if I tried, but that was definitely wet enough.

The book was a bit like that: not what you'd have wanted, but not unenjoyable either.
Jan
May 26, 2009 Jan rated it liked it
I read this while on vacation in Hilton Head. It was one of the book in the condo. Since it took place near there I thought it would be fun to read it. It took place the the late 1800's and had people like J P Morgan and Pulitzer in it which was something I enjoyed.
Michael Harris
Nov 08, 2011 Michael Harris rated it it was amazing
I don't read much fiction but this is historic fiction. Loved the story and the setting. An excellent storyteller.
Mary
Feb 10, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
I am not a big mystery reader but enjoyed this one as we had been to Jekyl Island, stayed in the big lodge and saw many of the buildings etc talked about in the book.
Mhbright
Apr 16, 2015 Mhbright rated it it was ok
Mediocre mystery with convoluted plot.
Cshifflett
Sep 05, 2012 Cshifflett rated it liked it
Ok book. Gives insight to what went on at the Jekyl Island Club on Jekyl Island "back in the day." Interesting to see politics back in the day were no different than they are today.
Daria
Aug 15, 2014 Daria rated it it was ok
Too dense for my taste. Did a lot of skimming to get to the heart of the story.
Margaret
Sep 23, 2009 Margaret rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was an interesting history/mystery featuring J.P. Morgan, Joseph Pulitzer and other captains of industry. I should probably read more about them based on this fictitous account.
David Nadolny
Feb 15, 2009 David Nadolny rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It is a classic Edwardian detective story. I guess I read the series out of order, but it was just as enjoyable. Monahan goes down on my authors to read file.
Lincoln
Lincoln rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2010
Karen Gemind
Karen Gemind rated it it was ok
Mar 04, 2017
Nancy Allen
Nancy Allen rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Adele
Adele rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2008
Tyler Oakey
Tyler Oakey rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Sattva
Sattva rated it did not like it
Nov 23, 2016
Myra Galbreath
Myra Galbreath rated it did not like it
Nov 04, 2009
Roger
Roger rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2017
Brigitte
Brigitte rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • New Moon Rising (St. Simons Trilogy, #2)
  • Past Imperfect: A John McIntire Mystery
  • Thailand
  • The Christmas Child: A Story of Coming Home
  • The Simple Truth About Love
  • The Strange Return of Sherlock Holmes
  • Well Bred and Dead (A High Society Mystery, #1)
  • A Play of Knaves (Joliffe the Player, #3)
  • Seven Keys to Baldpate
  • In for a Penny (Bay Tanner, #1)
  • Fortress Rabaul: The Battle for the Southwest Pacific, January 1942-April 1943 (Rabaul Trilogy, #2)
  • The Witch Next Door
  • Birds of America
  • Unnatural Fire (Countess Ashby de La Zouche, #1)
  • Aunt Erma's Cope Book
  • The Queen's Head
  • Sundance
  • Oscar Wilde and the Vatican Murders (The Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries #5)