Light House

Light House

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In this sharp, hilarious, farcical romp of a first novel, a coastal New England B&B is turned on its ear during a nor' easter by an outrageous cost of characters.
Published August 1st 2001 by Riverhead Trade (first published 2000)

Tricia Sutton
Quite possibly the funniest book I've ever read. Monahan breaks all the literary rules and I love him for it. He seems to make mockery of writing rules across the board. He ends almost every dialogue with an adverb -- one that doesn't even match the tone of the speaker. He goes out of his way to use the most unheard of word in the English dictionary, and he changes point of view within the same paragraph. It was quite refreshing to read a novel so pretentiously unpretentious in its writing style...more
Jennifer W.
I picked this book up in the clearance section of a local bookstore because the cover really caught my eye. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it and the cast of wacky characters. It was one of those books that no matter how much time has passed since you read it, you still remember it fondly because the journey it took you on was so unique and memorable. Although I read it in high school, I took the opportunity in college to re-read it and use it as an example in a paper, even years later it...more
Jacob
This reminded me a lot of Warren Ellis or Chuck Palahniuk. He just was unwilling to be as graphic, shocking or blunt in some of his prose. He's definitely funny and he loves to flaunt his inside info on literature, and its gratifying to read it and get it. However, I can imagine that will turn off a lot of readers. Still, It was a good book, a nice fast read and I can see why Monahan does so well ion Hollywood. I'll just stick with my other favorites. You can decide for yourself.
Steph
I first picked this book up about three years ago and could not get through it. I felt as though the author was using it as word masturbation. But I picked it up again last year and got through it. Again, still word masturbation and a bit too much of and edgy plot for the sake of being edgy. Didn't see the point in alot of the turns he took. Some parts, however, were brilliantly hilarious.
Drew Grauerholz
Definitely an under-read gem. Funny as all hell and gorgeously written, this book definitely makes you wish Monahan didn't leave the literary world for Hollywood. I get the feeling that one day he'll come back. Be warned, he consistently runs right up to the line of pretension and for some readers it will seem like he crosses it. But he does so boldly, and for that I give him credit.
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: A cast of warped individuals
SETTING: Massachusetts
RATING: 3.25
WHY: A group of strange individuals end up at a bed and breakfast during a nor'easter. Their escapades are bizarre and twisted. Miss Marple would have run away screaming if she found this group in her parlor. Not politically correct; over the top satire that on the whole was amusing.
Heather
This is written by the screenwriter of The Departed, Kingdom of Heaven and the upcoming Body of Lies. It is an extreme departure from this work - it's an absurd comedy! I like ridiculous situations and therefore liked the book. however, you may need to keep a dictionary beside you for reference every once in a while. At least I learned what uxorious means
Nancy
A fun book to read, if you don't mind a bit of violence! Monahan is a smart guy, both about the world and about other books, and has written a funny, taut book that skewers all sorts of people! I'm sure there are literary references here that I completely missed, but (unlike some other authors I could name) the book isn't weighed down by them.
David Matthes
I haven't laughed out loud reading a book since A Confederancy of Dunces. May be a thin story line but the characters and situations are improbable and hilarious. I rarely read books a 2nd time, but this is on that list - knowing the story and the ending won't detract from the delight in the absurdity of the narrative.
Margot Fallen
Completely insane but a whole lot of fun. I was laughing the entire time. This book is not for the weak of heart or conservative of mind. Its not for the easily grossed out or the generally prudish. Its not for the morally sound or politically correct. But for everyone else, its a whole lot of crazy that you'll love!
Trixie Fontaine
Another one of those books I somehow don't want to rave about, but I did really like reading it. In fact, there were some brilliant quotations I wanted to make notes of (or photocopy because there were whole pages of genius), but I'm too lazy and it's due back at the library soon.
Rachel
I loved this book! It's absurdly funny and offbeat. There was supposed to be a movie, but Monahan bought the rights back and it was never made.. too bad. I will be recommending this book to three people in particular.. all writers, who would be hugely entertained, no doubt.
Mady
Very funny in fragments, though as a whole it feels trivial. The author is so good at slightly cruel descriptions and combining people in ludicrous situations that I wish he would conceive a plot that mattered.
Anne Thessen
Aug 10, 2008 Anne Thessen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with an odd sense of humor
This book is really funny. I never would have guessed. Some of the scenes are so outrageous I would love to see a movie version just so they could actually be created.
Ann
Very literary and very funny. Takes place in New England in the middle of a Nor'easter. Involves Miami gangsters and a fiction writing workshop!
John Spillane
Really a great farce. Very funny and continuously interesting with lots of references and tidbits. I want to give it five stars.
Nico Vreeland
hilarious and awesome and sadly out of print. this is where ebooks should really shine.
Paul Hansbury
liked it, reviewed it before it came out i think, for vmag or some such
Nina
Nina is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Persy
Persy marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Joshua Lopez
Joshua Lopez marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Naresh Kumavat
Naresh Kumavat marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Light House: A Trifle: Or, Actual Modern Fiction Kingdom of Heaven: The Making of the Ridley Scott Epic