Start by marking “Frangipani” as Want to Read:
Frangipani

Frangipani (Materena Mahi #2)

'Check the woman who raised the man you want as your husband. Men like to say to their sons, How's the mama? A big pork chop? That's your girlfriend in twenty years. Well girl, check your boyfriend's mama, see how she raised her son.' Materena does the best she can to take care of her family but sometimes staying true to what you believe is difficult - and bringing up a da ...more
Unknown Binding
Published January 1st 2006 by Not Avail (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Frangipani, please sign up.

Tea Jovanović
Jedna od knjiga koja me je ludo zabavila... Ovo je druga knjiga trilogije... Slučajno sam naletela na nju pre mnogo godina u jednoj knjižari u Torontu, pronašla vlasnika prava i tu knjigu trebalo je da objavi Laguna... Čekali smo australijskog izdavača da nam pošalje ugovor gotovo godinu dana... A onda sam ja otišla iz Lagune pre nego što je ugovor stigao, i Laguna je otkazala celu priču... Ja još ne gubim nadu da ću za ove tri sjajne, zabavne i duhovite knjige naći izdavača... Otkačene knjige k ...more
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship

Frangipani is a pleasant read. It focuses on the relationship between Materena, a hardworking, family-oriented Tahitian woman, and her brilliant, headstrong daughter Leilani. The book begins before Leilani’s birth and follows the family until she’s an adult. It is not a plot-driven sort of novel; short chapters explore various incidents in the family’s life, as well as that of the community.

As I said, I enjoyed this. It is a sweet book, Materena and Leilani are strong characters, the st
Erin
Aug 03, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vaite is wild, outspoken, vivacious, and colorful. I adored this book about a Tahitian mama and the trials of motherhood in a male-dominated culture. I adored every piece of folk wisdom. Even more, though, I fell in love with the author herself while seeing and hearing her talk at a literary festival. As other authors conducted traditional book talks, she took charge of the stage, constantly tossing her untamable dark hair and speaking with complete humor and candor about Tahiti, womanhood, moth ...more
Cortney
Jan 27, 2008 Cortney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frangipani by Célestine Vaite is a delightful and entertaining book about the relationship between mother and daughter. Set in Tahiti, the culture and language of the people is woven into the story, making it a quite enjoyable book to read. From the book, I assume that the Tahitian people are very laid-back and happy. They have some customs that are just wacky, but don’t all cultures? I loved the relationship between the mother, Matarena and her daughter, Leilani. When Leilani got her period, Ma ...more
Camille
Feb 02, 2016 Camille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quand un enfant naît, on doit planter un arbre dans le jardin. Toute leur vie durant, l'arbre et l'enfant seront liés : si l'arbre est en bonne santé, c'est signe que l'enfant va bien ; si l'arbre est malade, l'enfant va mal également. C'est pourquoi il est très important de faire attention à l'arbre qu'on a planté lorsque l'enfant est né. Si jamais il est sec, si ses feuilles tombent, il faut réunir la famille de toute urgence pour prier pour la bonne santé de l'enfant.
Ou alors, il faut que la
Donna
Apr 16, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a "wild card" I found at the library book sale. It's bright cover and setting in Tahiti intrigued me. A universal story of girlfriends, wives, mothers, unfulfilling men set in Paradise. HILARIOUS! Easy to see why it is an international bestseller. Mostly a story of moms and daughters, mainly one loving mom and one strong willed daughter, it hits very close to home. I will look for another from this author. I loved Materena, the story's Tahitian Mama, and the news on the Coconut Rad ...more
Liz
Feb 21, 2008 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book by a Tahitian woman radiates warmth & light--an excellent winter read! The main character is a strong, wise, generous mother. The story is set in a small island community where people know and (mostly) care about each other. The relationships between women in the story are inspirational.
Maia
Feb 27, 2016 Maia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is great fun and very engaging/involving, for anybody going to, been to, related to or interested in Polynesia, pacifica islands around there or the Ma'ohi/maori (ethnic-cultural group extending from Samoa or is it Tonga? to New Zealand and Hawa'i (the ' is a glottal stop and one of their only nine consonants), i would make this a solid five out of five. I loved it. I started thinking it was much better than you'd expect for a quite-talented daughter of the islands and it's fun and it reall ...more
Zara
Oct 06, 2007 Zara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the whole series, was sad when I finished it because it meant that I had to let go of the story. I love Materena, to me she reminds of so many women around the world, that in their own little way are trying to make the world a better place by making the people around them happy.
Gretchen
Jun 27, 2008 Gretchen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are wonderful books in a series about South Pacific culture and modern issues. Great, lovable characters and a truly South Pacific setting. Really recommended.
Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day)
I loved Frangipani. It took me weeks to finish it because I haven't exactly been in a reading mood. But books I read during such phases usually end up getting tossed because they don't hold my attention long enough. But Frangipani was always a delight to come back to. It felt very authentic and Tahitian, with adorable characters, and a very easy-going narrative style.

Frangipani is mostly told from Materena Mahi's perspective. When the book begins, Materena is moaning her partner, Pito's, neglige
James
Feb 15, 2008 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frangipani is Viate's second offering in her Tahitian trilogy. Although the first-person narrative seems to float along on the surface quite innocently, Vaite uses her main character Matarena's seeming simplicity as a guileless mirror with which to reflect the effect of colonization on the native Tahitian psyche. The various Tahitians populating the novel suffer a loss of identity in which they are neither really Tahitian nor assimilated to French ways.

Understanding Woman is Matarena's endearin
Rafi Bloch
Sep 06, 2011 Rafi Bloch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book based on the title, and was pleasantly surprised at how I didn't want to put this book down. The book follows Materena, a young Tahitian woman and her family: Pito, her husband; Leilani, her daughter; and her two sons, Moana and Tamatoa. It is a brilliantly written novel about the connection between mothers and daughters. Leilani is smart and stubborn, but her mother wants her to be better than a 'professional cleaner' as she has been. Materena does anything for her family, and p ...more
Edith Clayton
Oct 08, 2013 Edith Clayton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mothers of teen daughters
I had just finished reading two very depressing books and desperately needed to read something more upbeat. I found this one on WhichBook when I did a search for something happy and optimistic, and it definitely filled my requirement! In spite of the difficulties that come with being a woman in Tahiti (yes, there are difficulties in paradise) Materena, the main character, kept a wonderful positive attitude that infected me while I read. I recommend this to all mothers of daughters, especially te ...more
June
Jul 17, 2008 June rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really adored this book and the main character and her daughter. The bonus of learning a little bit about Tahitian culture was also nice, and I love the phrase "sexy loving" in place of sex. It's just those small, quirky things that make this book so fun to read. There were portions of the book that were a little drawn out and I would have liked to see the daughter appreciate her mother more gradually then kind of all of a sudden at the end, but in general, most enjoyable. Looking forward to r ...more
Rebecca
Jan 22, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rebecca by: old co-worker
not that great, kind of a B or a B+. its sort of a nice "feel good" novel about mothers and daughters. the one thing that pulls it up from being completely trite is the fact that it is located in tahiti, and it feels accurate. the author talks about the poverty from french colonialism, tahitian culture, generation gap between traditional tahiti parents and their assimilated children who scoff at tahitian customs, prayers, etc. so the lifestyle and location part was cool. kind of reminded me of p ...more
Irene Cloin - Tel
Jan 19, 2008 Irene Cloin - Tel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet book about island women, grandmothers, mothers and daughters, set in Tahiti. Writing style is simple which gives it an extra charm - it gives an extra dimension to the characters in the book. Funny, witty, and quite 'feminist' - the men in the book get some, but definitely not a lot of credit! Recommendable, especially when you're interested in island culture & women's issues. You want women like this as your neighbour!
Jenny (Reading Envy)
An enjoyable story of Tahitian culture and the conflict between mothers and daughters. I have the sense it won't stick with me for long, which is why I only gave it three stars, but I didn't have to struggle to get through it.

Longer review with quotes on my blog (also music recommendation and link to dessert!)
Anne Stewart
Feb 11, 2008 Anne Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reading
This book is one of my favorites ever. It is the story of a spirited mother in Tahiti, and the relationships between her family. This book concentrates on the relationshiop between her and her daughter. It is very funny, and gives great insight into the customs of Tahiti.
I also reccommend Breadfruit and Tiare in Bloom by the same author. All three books have the same characters. I was sad that the series ended!
Jill Barrett Melnicki
Love, love, love this book. What a happy read about Tahitian everyday life, and the special relationship between mother and daughter. The protagonist keeps her values straight and simple (this is NOT to say her values are NOT profound) and this seems to bring her so much satisfaction (and admiration). On a personal note, I've always been a proud mama - but this book reinforces my joy in motherhood.
I wasn't totally into this book. I think there would be a lot of discussion (book group) about relationships between mothers and their daughters. I did like that the main character, the mother, in the book was pretty positive throughout her whole life, and that her daughter did take in what her mother taught her, even if her mother couldn't always tell.
Brielle
Jan 26, 2008 Brielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women, mothers, daughters, readers, people with senses of humor
The first time I tried to read this book, I got stuck on the "Tahitian" grammar and couldn't continue. But this time I was sucked in. Materana is an amazing character who is truly a heroine in that she is ALWAYS true to herself. It's definitely a book worth reading.
Asferdinand
Jan 19, 2010 Asferdinand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Love the characters, the story--so sweet and heartwarming to follow the mother-daughter relationship through some 25 years. I already have a couple of other books by the same author waitlisted at the library, and can't wait to get to them.
Shasta McBride
I loved this book and put it in the post to my mother after I finished as it's a great mother/daughter book. Vaite also writes about exotic Tahiti and tells it like it is, local-kine. Am looking forward to reading Tiare and Breadfruit.
Megan
Apr 18, 2009 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet story about a mother and daughter. It takes place in Tahiti, but applies to women all over the world. Interesting, pleasant, touching, and funny (especially some parts featuring Auntie Georgette!)
Natalie
Jun 11, 2008 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect fun summer book. It is about a mother and daughter and their relationship and it takes place in Tahiti. I can't wait to read the next 3 books in the series. It is a nice quick summer read - not to challenging, just really enjoyable.
Patti
Mar 29, 2008 Patti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Susan
Recommended to Patti by: Adrianne
A heartwarming book about a Tahtian woman & her interactions with a wide variety of people. I could relate to her relationship with a teenage daughter. Many thanks to Adrianne for starting me on this set. Looking forward to reading the others.
Josie
Jun 27, 2016 Josie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful story of a woman, a mother and a wife.
The story focuses mainly on the relationship between Materena, a hardworking, family-oriented Tahitian woman, and her headstrong daughter Leilani.
For me this really encapsulated the candour of Tahitian womanhood and was a really enjoyable read.
Donna
Oct 16, 2008 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gina
Oct 05, 2007 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Even though the story takes place in Tahiti and the characters have somewhat different cultural values, they are really no different than people anywhere. The battles between the mother and teenage daughter are classic and gave me quite a case of deja vu at times.
Goodreads Librari...: Pages missing 3 21 Aug 30, 2015 01:52AM
  • Butterfly Song
  • A Girl's Guide To Kissing Frogs
  • The Blue-Eyed Salaryman: From World Traveller to Lifer at Mitsubishi
  • Miles Off Course (Rowland Sinclair #3)
  • Solomon Time: Adventures in the South Pacific
  • The Rose Grower
  • Sophie Scott Goes South
  • Surviving Paradise: One Year on a Disappearing Island
  • Everyman's Rules for Scientific Living
  • A Diamond in the Desert: Behind the Scenes in Abu Dhabi, the World's Richest City
  • The Hunter
  • Tales of the Tikongs
  • Good Girls Do Swallow: The Darkly Comic True Story of How One Woman Stopped Hating Her Body
  • After the Rice
  • The Enthusiast
  • The Penguin Book of Gay Short Stories
  • Carpentaria
  • Potiki
Célestine Hitiura Vaite was born in Tahiti. The daughter of a Tahitian mother and a French father who went back to his country after military service, she grew up in her big extended family in Faa'a-Tahiti, where storytelling was part of the every day life and women overcame obstacles with gusto and humour. Célestine now lives with her family on the south coast of New South Wales, Australia.
More about Célestine Hitiura Vaite...

Materena Mahi (3 books)
  • Breadfruit (Materena Mahi, #1)
  • Tiare in Bloom: A Novel