Start by marking “Evolution: The Human Story” as Want to Read:
Evolution: The Human Story

Evolution: The Human Story

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  12 reviews

How did we develop from simple animals inhabiting small pockets of forest in Africa to the dominant species on Earth? Traveling back almost eight million years to our earliest primate relatives, Evolution: The Human Story charts the development of our species from tree-dwelling primates to modern humans.

Investigating each of our ancestors in detail and in context, from the

Hardcover, 1st edition, 256 pages
Published August 15th 2011 by DK Publishing (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Evolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evolution

Marilee
This is an excellent over view of human paleo archeology and anthropology. I found this large and lavishly illustrated book has enough interesting text and science to pique interest and answer basic questions for laypersons, without getting bogged down in detail. Written in 2010, published in 2011, this is reasonably up to date. Frequent discoveries, new techniques and tools for interpretation, honest and heartfelt arguments over meanings read in bones… keep this a surprisingly dynamic field of ...more
Otherwyrld
A large handsomely illustrated coffee table sized book, it still only merits 3 stars because it is difficult to see who it is intended for. It is not a children's book, despite being produced by Dorling Kindersley. It is not intended for experts as most of the book is taken up by illustration and there is very little text. It might be aimed at the interested amateur, but again the small snippets of information are not enough to do more than skim very briefly over the relevant facts. Nor is it de ...more
Layth_soliman
A beautiful yet informative work that summarizes a very difficult and complicated story into an easily digested and logical one.

Thia work is meant to be an introduction to the story of the human evolution to the general reader , it is up to date and probably most of what you need to know.However, if you area heavy info chaser you'll have to read a couple of other books after this one.

The journey in which Prof. Alice Roberts guides you here is concise , informative and very fun to read.

Other than
Joe Iacovino
Yes, a nice addition to an existing collection of anthropology/ biology/ evo content, but should be an addition only. The book simply is not detailed enough to live up to the title; however, if one already has an understanding of evolution, then this book makes a great coffee table piece for talking points. The illustrations are very large and glossy with the feel of a photo-book, making up somewhat for the sparse content. Again, this book won't explain the concepts of evo all that well but is a ...more
Daniel
Evolution is such a fascinating subject and this particular book goes into great detail about the evolution of the human species. A must read.
J.P.
It's not an in-depth book. It's more for people who are already informed about evolution & just want some background knowledge on the various hominids, including ancestors for us humans. Included is information about the skeletal structures & cultural habits of early hominids. It would make a great coffee table book just to glance over.
Riju Ganguly
A comprehensive look at human evolution, but at times the whole thing became rather fearsomely exhaustive. I am still searching for a more modest book that would make the whole thing more easily memorable, but this book would retain its vaunted place, that's for sure.
Laura Kerr
This book is definitely one of the best gifts I have ever received. It's pact full of interesting information and it's just fascinating. I think everyone should read this (or a book like it) at some point, even if they don't agree with some of it.
Regina Hunter
I love skull/facial reconstruction I wish they would do it to all ancient and historic people so I knowhow they look. Statues and pictures are nice, but they lie.
Ryan
Stunning illustrations. Simple explanations. I especially like the map that outlines a possible timeline of human emergence from Africa.
Codrin
Codrin marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Orlando
Orlando marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Usama Awan
Usama Awan marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Osip
Osip marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Freddy
Freddy added it
Dec 29, 2014
DP
DP marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Sean J
Sean J marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
  • Earth
  • The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution
  • The First Human: The Race to Discover Our Earliest Ancestors
  • The First Americans: In Pursuit of Archaeology's Greatest Mystery
The Incredible Human Journey The Complete Human Body: The Definitive Visual Guide [With DVD ROM] The Incredible Unlikeliness of Being: Evolution and the Making of Us Don't Die Young: An Anatomist's Guide to Your Organs and Your Health GRAN LIBRO DEL CUERPO HUMANO.GUIA VISUAL DEFINITIVA