Start by marking “Evolution: The human story” as Want to Read:
Evolution: The human story

Evolution: The human story

How did we develop from simple animals inhabiting small pockets of forest in Africa to the dominant species on Earth? Traveling back almost eight million years to our earliest primate relatives, Evolution: The Human Story charts the development of our species from tree-dwelling primates to modern humans.

Investigating each of our ancestors in detail and in context, from the

Hardcover, 1st edition, 256 pages
Published August 15th 2011 by DK Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Evolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evolution

Joe Iacovino
Apr 12, 2013 Joe Iacovino rated it liked it
Yes, a nice addition to an existing collection of anthropology/ biology/ evo content, but should be an addition only. The book simply is not detailed enough to live up to the title; however, if one already has an understanding of evolution, then this book makes a great coffee table piece for talking points. The illustrations are very large and glossy with the feel of a photo-book, making up somewhat for the sparse content. Again, this book won't explain the concepts of evo all that well but is a ...more
Otherwyrld
Dec 25, 2012 Otherwyrld rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A large handsomely illustrated coffee table sized book, it still only merits 3 stars because it is difficult to see who it is intended for. It is not a children's book, despite being produced by Dorling Kindersley. It is not intended for experts as most of the book is taken up by illustration and there is very little text. It might be aimed at the interested amateur, but again the small snippets of information are not enough to do more than skim very briefly over the relevant facts. Nor is it de ...more
Judyta Szaciłło
Beautiful pictures and well-arranged material. It is an attractive summary of the current scientific knowledge of human evolution. Great introduction for beginners, and it could even help in convincing some anti-evolutionists, I think.
Thomas Cools
Om eerlijk te zijn, ik heb dit boek niet uitgelezen. Dit is echt wat ze een "salonboek" noemen. Grote bladzijden met weinig tekst en veel mooie plaatjes. De teksten zijn niet bijzonder goed geschreven. Kromme zinnen en geen logische opbouw. Er wordt hier en daar ook tamelijk wat voorkennis gevraagd, wat gek is voor dit soort boeken. De foto’s zijn wel knap en geven een goed beeld van hoe onze voorouders er moeten hebben uitgezien. Als je je wil verdiepen in deze materie zou ik dit boek overslaan ...more
Marilee
This is an excellent over view of human paleo archeology and anthropology. I found this large and lavishly illustrated book has enough interesting text and science to pique interest and answer basic questions for laypersons, without getting bogged down in detail. Written in 2010, published in 2011, this is reasonably up to date. Frequent discoveries, new techniques and tools for interpretation, honest and heartfelt arguments over meanings read in bones… keep this a surprisingly dynamic field of ...more
Layth_soliman
Mar 13, 2013 Layth_soliman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful yet informative work that summarizes a very difficult and complicated story into an easily digested and logical one.

Thia work is meant to be an introduction to the story of the human evolution to the general reader , it is up to date and probably most of what you need to know.However, if you area heavy info chaser you'll have to read a couple of other books after this one.

The journey in which Prof. Alice Roberts guides you here is concise , informative and very fun to read.

Other than
Daniel
Feb 23, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evolution is such a fascinating subject and this particular book goes into great detail about the evolution of the human species. A must read.
Eduardo Paiva
Jun 05, 2014 Eduardo Paiva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excelente.
J.P.
Sep 08, 2013 J.P. rated it liked it
It's not an in-depth book. It's more for people who are already informed about evolution & just want some background knowledge on the various hominids, including ancestors for us humans. Included is information about the skeletal structures & cultural habits of early hominids. It would make a great coffee table book just to glance over.
Mark
Nov 25, 2015 Mark rated it it was amazing
Reminds me of From So Simple a Beginning: The Book of Evolution, another Dorling Kindersley title I loved for its visual presentation and simplicity--both very handy in an introduction.
Riju Ganguly
Nov 03, 2011 Riju Ganguly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive look at human evolution, but at times the whole thing became rather fearsomely exhaustive. I am still searching for a more modest book that would make the whole thing more easily memorable, but this book would retain its vaunted place, that's for sure.
Laura Kerr
This book is definitely one of the best gifts I have ever received. It's pact full of interesting information and it's just fascinating. I think everyone should read this (or a book like it) at some point, even if they don't agree with some of it.
Regina Hunter
Sep 09, 2011 Regina Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love skull/facial reconstruction I wish they would do it to all ancient and historic people so I knowhow they look. Statues and pictures are nice, but they lie.
Ryan
Nov 06, 2011 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stunning illustrations. Simple explanations. I especially like the map that outlines a possible timeline of human emergence from Africa.
Alin
Alin marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Ellen Cracknell
Ellen Cracknell marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Dexter
Dexter marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Jack Kessler
Jack Kessler marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
V
V marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Ivan
Ivan rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
seda
seda marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Andrew Rose
Andrew Rose rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Rosa
Rosa marked it as to-read
Steve Castro Orozco
Steve Castro Orozco marked it as to-read
Shari
Shari is currently reading it
Timothy Stephenson
Timothy Stephenson marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
  • African Exodus: The Origins of Modern Humanity
  • Prehistoric Life: The Definitive Visual History of Life on Earth
  • The Neanderthal's Necklace: In Search of the First Thinkers
  • Masters of the Planet: The Search for Our Human Origins
  • The Big Cats and Their Fossil Relatives: An Illustrated Guide to Their Evolution and Natural History
  • The Emergence of Life on Earth: A Historical and Scientific Overview
  • Ocean: The World's Last Wilderness Revealed
  • The Neanderthals Rediscovered: How Modern Science Is Rewriting Their Story
  • The Origins of Life: From the Birth of Life to the Origin of Language
  • How Humans Evolved
  • Evolution: The Whole Story
  • Cro-Magnon: How the Ice Age Gave Birth to the First Modern Humans

Alice May Roberts is an English anatomist, osteoarchaeologist, physical anthropologist, palaeopathologist, television presenter and author.

Roberts studied medicine and anatomy at Cardiff University, qualifying in 1997 as a physician with a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MB BCh) degree, having gained
More about Alice Roberts...