Start by marking “Come Go Home with Me: Stories by Sheila Kay Adams” as Want to Read:
Come Go Home with Me: Stories by Sheila Kay Adams

Come Go Home with Me: Stories by Sheila Kay Adams

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Sheila Adams has been performing Appalachian ballads and telling stories for over twenty years. A native of Madison County, North Carolina, she was introduced to the tale-telling tradition by her great-aunt 'Granny, ' well-known balladeer Dellie Chandler Norton. This collection of Adams's stories provides a rare portrait of a distinctive mountain community and charts the d...more
Published September 11th 1995 by University of North Carolina Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Come Go Home with Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come Go Home with Me

Faye Heath
I just watched the film "Song Catcher" about a woman who, in the early 1900s, discovers the old English ballads preserved in their purest form in the mountains of Appalachia. I love roots music and I love the mountains of North Carolina and the film captured my heart. It reminded me of a wonderful book of stories written by Sheila Kay Adams.

Ms. Adams is a singer, banjo player and story teller who has received awards for her valuable contributions to the study of North Carolina folklore.

"Come Go...more
Tom Franklin
Adams' stories of her kinfolk, neighbors, and friends in rural western North Carolina are a mix of folksy narrative and language, and the kind of deep familial friendship and love that many modern-day people will never know. There's more than a hint of nostalgia in Adams' stories, but given that many of them read as love letters to her grandparents and parents, that's not too surprising.

The thing that disappointed me about this book was that many of the stories didn't go very far. Not that they...more
Whitney
A perfect compendium of humorous and touching vignettes describing the tiny mountain community of Sodom, NC. (Yes, that's really the name of the town.)
Courtney Burns
A funny and touching look back at the characters that shaped Adams' youth. I listened to this on cd with the author reading and it was just magic.
Avary
This one I listened to on CD read by Sheila Kay Adams. Excellent storytelling.
Rachel
Aug 22, 2007 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Appalachian lit. readers; story readers
I read this book my year in Minnesota when I was homesick. Made me feel better.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Ashley Pearman
Ashley Pearman marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Mary S
Mary S marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Sharon Petersen
Sharon Petersen marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
S. L.  Ellis
S. L. Ellis marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Larissa
Larissa marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Amy Ridenour
Amy Ridenour marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Jennifer Kirby
Jennifer Kirby marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Nell
Nell marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Bobbie
Bobbie marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Bev
Bev marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Sheila Kay Adams comes from a small mountain community in Madison County, North Carolina. For seven generation her family has maintained the tradition of passing down the English, Scottish and Irish ballads that came over with her ancestors in the mid 1700’s. Sheila learned these ballads from her older relatives, primarily from her great-aunt, Dellie Chandler Norton and cousin, Cas Wallin.

In perfo...more
More about Sheila Kay Adams...
My Old True Love