Start by marking “Passing Through: An Ex-Fundamentalist's Pursuit of Personal Spirituality” as Want to Read:
Passing Through: An Ex-Fundamentalist's Pursuit of Personal Spirituality
Read Excerpt

Passing Through: An Ex-Fundamentalist's Pursuit of Personal Spirituality

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Part memoir, part religious critique, and part philosophical treatise, “Passing Through” traces Craig’s path from the controlling environment of fundamentalism to the formation of the theory of Energetic Universalism. It examines various facets of the fundamentalist Christian faith, including the inerrancy of the Bible and the divinity of Jesus Christ. “Passing Through” ta ...more
Published by Sweatshoppe Publications (first published August 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Passing Through, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passing Through

Betty McMahon
Very interesting. He had a lot of the same experiences I did when I was younger, hence my interest in the subject. We've reached most of the same conclusions about religion -- most, not all -- but he expresses himself very well. A good read for someone who is searching for answers.
Anna Venanzi
Passing Through: An Ex-Fundamentalist Pursuit of Person Spirituality is about a young boy Hart, who was raised in the Bible Missionary Church. Which is an extreme fundamentalist break-off of the church of the Nazarene. After graduating from high school, he attended the bible missionary institute.

type of book: biographic, autobiographic, or memoir and advanced
rating of the book: three stars. I gave Passing Through: An Ex-Fundamentalist Pursuit of Person Spirituality three stars because he addres
Mindi Rosser
What happens when a fundamentalist scrutinizes his religious beliefs against contradictory evidence? Author Craig Hart invites us into his journey exploring spirituality outside the boundaries of religionism. Whether or not you are a believer in a higher power, this book provides insight for those struggling with the hard questions of religion. Hart illuminates his own battles with faith and how he ultimately ended up in energetic universalism.

Readers: What's your story? Did you struggle with re
Jack
The author provides an excellent glimpse into the evolution from a fundamentalist external orthodoxy, through questioning and courageous reflection to an inner faith based on personal belief. The author still carries a great deal of anger which keeps him from opening to renewed possibilities in faith systems and has not yet worked to where he can include others in his faith journey. But he does describe many of the faith questions people are facing today.
Caroline Åsgård
I just read the excerpt, which is chapter eight.

After reading ''I'll put 3 chips on god, just in case there is one'' by Preeti Gupta, I found this to be similar, and written in the light, more humane and relatable kind of way.
This hits me as a book more about christianity, comparing their beliefs and actions. It's clever, and has some good points.

So if you want to read about comparative religion, this seems like a good one.
Bethenia Dixon
Apr 16, 2012 Bethenia Dixon marked it as to-read
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway that ended on 2/11/12, have not received the book to read and review over 2 months later. Still waiting.
Doug
well written, very intriguing concepts discussed.
Shelia
Shelia marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Emmanuel Semmes
Emmanuel Semmes marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Kammiesue
Kammiesue marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Ifywhite1
Ifywhite1 marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Marjorie
Marjorie marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Wayne Edwards
Wayne Edwards marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Glenn Kleier
Glenn Kleier marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Hunadi
Hunadi marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Julia Papp
Julia Papp marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
P Ram
P Ram marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Gerry Goertzen
Gerry Goertzen marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Sai Willie
Sai Willie marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
More Words
More Words marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Neroli Locateli
Neroli Locateli marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Diana Ang
Diana Ang marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Maryx
Maryx marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • Of Water and the Spirit: Ritual, Magic and Initiation in the Life of an African Shaman
  • Makeda
  • Christianity After Religion: The End of Church and the Birth of a New Spiritual Awakening
  • The Greatness of Saturn: A Therapeutic Myth
  • Mystic Christianity
  • The Fourth Gospel: Tales of a Jewish Mystic
  • A Crossing or the Drop`s History
  • Did God Have a Wife? Archaeology and Folk Religion in Ancient Israel
  • The Ruins, Or, Meditation on the Revolutions of Empires: And the Law of Nature
Writer, editor, future father of twins (due in January), lover of the arts, only human. Author of The Writer's Tune-up Manual. http://amzn.to/17fKqm9

Craig A. Hart lives in northern Illinois with his wife Kimberly in a house owned by their cats, Gracie and Bean.
More about Craig A. Hart...
The Writer's Tune-up Manual: 35 Exercises That Will Scrape the Rust Off Your Writing The Rusty Nail (April 2013) The Diner Route 9 (A Short Story) The Magician of Wrigley Street

“Bob and I talked occasionally about the Church and religion, and once both expressed our amazement that we had somehow been born into the one group of people who were living as true Christians should. After all, we could just as easily have been born into a family that watched TV or, heaven forbid, into a family of Baptists!” 0 likes