Start by marking “Passing Through: An Ex-Fundamentalist's Pursuit of Personal Spirituality” as Want to Read:
Passing Through: An Ex-Fundamentalist's Pursuit of Personal Spirituality

Read Excerpt

Passing Through: An Ex-Fundamentalist's Pursuit of Personal Spirituality

Part memoir, part religious critique, and part philosophical treatise, “Passing Through” traces Craig’s path from the controlling environment of fundamentalism to the formation of the theory of Energetic Universalism. It examines various facets of the fundamentalist Christian faith, including the inerrancy of the Bible and the divinity of Jesus Christ. “Passing Through” ta ...more
Published by Sweatshoppe Publications (first published August 9th 2011)

Betty McMahon
Jun 25, 2012 Betty McMahon rated it really liked it
Very interesting. He had a lot of the same experiences I did when I was younger, hence my interest in the subject. We've reached most of the same conclusions about religion -- most, not all -- but he expresses himself very well. A good read for someone who is searching for answers.
Mindi Rosser
Mar 13, 2015 Mindi Rosser rated it it was ok
What happens when a fundamentalist scrutinizes his religious beliefs against contradictory evidence? Author Craig Hart invites us into his journey exploring spirituality outside the boundaries of religionism. Whether or not you are a believer in a higher power, this book provides insight for those struggling with the hard questions of religion. Hart illuminates his own battles with faith and how he ultimately ended up in energetic universalism.

Readers: What's your story? Did you struggle with re
Anna Venanzi
Passing Through: An Ex-Fundamentalist Pursuit of Person Spirituality is about a young boy Hart, who was raised in the Bible Missionary Church. Which is an extreme fundamentalist break-off of the church of the Nazarene. After graduating from high school, he attended the bible missionary institute.

type of book: biographic, autobiographic, or memoir and advanced
rating of the book: three stars. I gave Passing Through: An Ex-Fundamentalist Pursuit of Person Spirituality three stars because he addres
Caroline Åsgård
Apr 20, 2014 Caroline Åsgård rated it liked it
I just read the excerpt, which is chapter eight.

After reading ''I'll put 3 chips on god, just in case there is one'' by Preeti Gupta, I found this to be similar, and written in the light, more humane and relatable kind of way.
This hits me as a book more about christianity, comparing their beliefs and actions. It's clever, and has some good points.

So if you want to read about comparative religion, this seems like a good one.
Apr 26, 2013 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author provides an excellent glimpse into the evolution from a fundamentalist external orthodoxy, through questioning and courageous reflection to an inner faith based on personal belief. The author still carries a great deal of anger which keeps him from opening to renewed possibilities in faith systems and has not yet worked to where he can include others in his faith journey. But he does describe many of the faith questions people are facing today.
Bethenia Dixon
Apr 16, 2012 Bethenia Dixon marked it as to-read
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway that ended on 2/11/12, have not received the book to read and review over 2 months later. Still waiting.
Roberta Scicluna
Roberta Scicluna rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Ally rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2012
Mary rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2014
Lenny rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2012
Rafeeque401 rated it really liked it
May 07, 2012
D3 World
D3 World rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2011
Alex Ann
Alex Ann rated it did not like it
Nov 09, 2012
Michelle Thomas
Michelle Thomas rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2011
Elly Stokes
Elly Stokes rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2012
Muhammed Esa
Muhammed Esa rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2013
Francesca rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2012
John Rey
John Rey rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2013
Anna rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Angie rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Raela Alofipo
Raela Alofipo rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2012
Susan rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2013
Giri Dharan
Giri Dharan rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Ahmed Faiz
Ahmed Faiz rated it liked it
May 11, 2012
Melanie Farmer
Melanie Farmer rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Tinna Anggraeni
Tinna Anggraeni rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Derek Murphy
Derek Murphy rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2011
Jamaica rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2012
Tanya rated it did not like it
Aug 10, 2012
Preethi rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Conversations with Ogotemmêli: An Introduction to Dogon Religious Ideas
  • The Bowl of Light: Ancestral Wisdom from a Hawaiian Shaman
  • Makeda
  • The Kemetic Tree of Life Ancient Egyptian Metaphysics and Cosmology for Higher Consciousness
  • The Ruins of Empires
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • Conversations with the Universe: How the World Speaks to Us
  • Solomon's Angels
  • Sons of Gods -- Mahabharata
  • The Healing Wisdom of Africa: Finding Life Purpose Through Nature, Ritual, and Community
  • Maat the 11 laws of God
  • The Greatness of Saturn: A Therapeutic Myth
  • Interbeing: Fourteen Guidelines for Engaged Buddhism
  • Dancing the Dream: The Seven Sacred Paths Of Human Transformation
  • Would You Baptize an Extraterrestrial?: . . . and Other Questions from the Astronomers' In-box at the Vatican Observatory
  • The Essential Kabbalah: The Heart of Jewish Mysticism
  • The Sufi Book of Life: 99 Pathways of the Heart for the Modern Dervish
  • Islam and the Destiny of Man
Craig A. Hart is the stay-at-home father of twin boys, a writer, editor, Amazon bestselling author, lover of the arts, and only human. He has served as editor-in-chief for The Rusty Nail literary magazine and as manager for Sweatshoppe Media. He lives and writes in Iowa City with his wife, sons, and two cats.
More about Craig A. Hart...

“Bob and I talked occasionally about the Church and religion, and once both expressed our amazement that we had somehow been born into the one group of people who were living as true Christians should. After all, we could just as easily have been born into a family that watched TV or, heaven forbid, into a family of Baptists!” 0 likes