Start by marking “Happy Days Were Here Again: Reflections of a Libertarian Journalist” as Want to Read:
Happy Days Were Here Again: Reflections of a Libertarian Journalist

Happy Days Were Here Again: Reflections of a Libertarian Journalist

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A new collection of essays by the unpredictable, prime architect of the conservative movement, at his often acerbic, sometimes celebratory, always on-target best. This volume covers a wide range of enthusiasms, criticisms, tributes, and reflections from the former National Review editor.
Published September 21st 1993 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Happy Days Were Here Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Days Were Here Again

Colin
This is a collection of articles and columns. One wonders if these qualify as truly the work of a "libertarian journalist." But I always enjoy his use of language -- erudite, never stuffy, never too breezy, but easy and a joy to read.
Devin
There are several essays that are "outdated," but for the most part it is a great read. Buckley's style is sharp and witty, but I didn't find the arrogance so many others see in his writings.
bryan
This guy was once the standard-bearer of the conservative movement. Now people look to the likes of Sean Hannity and Ann Coulter. Too bad.
Arnold
Brilliant read despite the fearsome reputation of the author. Skip some of his more off the wall remarks and enjoy the rest
Will
Series of intelligent, entertainingly-written political discussions.
Robert
Dec 12, 2009 Robert rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
A fine collection of columns by WFB from the second half of the eighties and the first few years of the nineties. Topics range from Bob Dylan to Clarence Thomas to the Gulf War. This volume also includes the majority, if not the totality, of Buckley's writing on the end of the Cold War. I haven't read that many of Buckley's collections of essays, but I don't think I'll find many more that are this diverse and accessible. Also, don't let the "libertarian" in the title worry you. I think WFB had c ...more
John
William F. Buckley (1925-2008) was for many years the voice of American conservatism. I first read one of his books (The Jewelers Eye) back when I was doing a post-doc at Georgetown University in 1969-1970. Like this book, Happy Days Were Here Again is a compilation of Buckley's articles from a number of sources. It is quintessential Buckley, from the wisdom of his thoughts to his sometimes annoying use of words almost no one understands. If you like personal and political commentary, this book ...more
Suzanne
This is a collection of writings from Mr. Buckley. Although I disagreed with many of his political positions over the years I am an enormous fan of his non-fictional writing and his remarkable wit. The world has lost a unique voice.
Pete
Just fun to read. Historical perspectives from a 20th century libertarian.
Scot Land
Scot Land marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Bakunin
Bakunin marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Emily Spaulding
Emily Spaulding marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Thuy Ha
Thuy Ha marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Ed Allie
Ed Allie is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Josh Crawford
Josh Crawford marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
William Frank Buckley, Jr. was an American author and conservative commentator. He founded the political magazine National Review in 1955, hosted 1,429 episodes of the television show Firing Line from 1966 until 1999, and was a nationally syndicated newspaper columnist. His writing style was famed for its erudition, wit, and use of uncommon words.

Buckley was "arguably the most important public int
More about William F. Buckley Jr....
God and Man at Yale: The Superstitions of 'Academic Freedom' Saving the Queen Miles Gone By: A Literary Biography Stained Glass The Reagan I Knew

“I would sooner be governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than by the two thousand members of the faculty of Harvard.” 5 likes