Start by marking “A Home for Bird” as Want to Read:
A Home for Bird

A Home for Bird

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,525 Ratings  ·  244 Reviews
While out foraging for interesting things, Vernon the toad finds a new friend - a small blue bird who is curiously silent. Vernon shows Bird the river and the forest and some of his other favorite things, but Bird says nothing. Vernon introduces Bird to his friends, Skunk and Porcupine, but Bird still says nothing."Bird is shy," says Vernon, "but also a very good listener. ...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about A Home for Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Home for Bird

Extra Yarn by Mac BarnettAnd Then It's Spring by Julie FoglianoGreen by Laura Vaccaro SeegerThe Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William JoyceThis is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen
2013 Mock Caldecott
12th out of 97 books — 241 voters
Marlow and the Monster by Sharon CramerSquid and Octopus Friends for Always by Tao NyeuThe Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William JoyceTwo for One by Kate DiCamilloBear Has a Story to Tell by Philip C. Stead
Most Anticipated Picture Books of 2012
9th out of 71 books — 69 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Dec 21, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

Hum. I'm really not sure what to make of this book. On the one hand, it is very sweet and endearing, a lovely story of friendship, generosity and caring. On the other hand, I just wasn't quite sure what to make of the resolution and in some respects it made me a little sad, though I don't think it was meant to. Maybe it was just the mood I was in when I read this. I can see it being really amusing and charming and I know many people loved the book.
Elisabeth
Jul 07, 2012 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
Vernon is a determined friend and his tenacity is so endearing because his friendship isn't really returned. He looks at birds unresponsiveness as bird being a good listener and being brave (awww).His happiness at the end is just so gratifying! Good noticers will take a lot of pleasure in comparing the end of the book to the very first page in the story.

I have been looking forward to this book since forever and it did not disappoint!
Benji Martin
Sep 24, 2015 Benji Martin rated it it was amazing
I can't believe I hadn't read this one before. It's brilliant.
Melissa
I LOVE SO MANY THINGS ABOUT THIS BOOK I CAN'T STAND IT!

But probably mostly this line: "But Vernon was a determined friend." We should all be so blessed.
Colby Sharp
I am madly in love with everything about this book.
babyhippoface
Oct 02, 2012 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Frog and Toad, if Toad was mute.

Illustrations: adorable. Story: adorable. I will admit that the first time I read it I didn't pay attention to the end papers. Mistake. Always pay attention to the end papers. Since I didn't pay attention to the end papers, I had no idea where Bird had come from, I had no clue as to Bird's identity, and I was surprised by Bird's home. Duh.

This little froggie is just the sweetest thing. He's the kind of froggie who can be completely ignored and just think you're a
Ewa
Oct 14, 2014 Ewa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Vernon is a great friend and even though his new friend Bird does not seem appreciative of his help, a friendly toad is not discouraged. Looking for a home for a Bird is not an easy task but Vernon knows that friendship requires persistence and perseverance. Therefore he decides to go “into the great unknown” to please his friend and make him happy.
A book about true friendship, understanding, and empathy written with short repeated sentences suitable for younger kids attracted my attention due
Emily Calzi
Jan 28, 2013 Emily Calzi rated it it was amazing
“A Home for Bird” written and illustrated by Philip C. Stead is the story of a toad named Vernon who finds a new friend, a small blue bird while out foraging. He takes Bird to the forest, river, cloud watching and to meet new friends, however bird does not say anything. Vernon just assumes that “Bird is shy.” Vernon becomes worried that Bird is not happy, so they set out to find his home hoping to make Bird happy. Vernon really goes out of his way to help his new found friend, traveling a long, ...more
Dolly
Apr 02, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, aviation, 2013
This is a strange, but sweet tale of a toad who tries to bring his new friend home. The narrative is short, but I would recommend this for elementary school-age children who can understand the irony. The illustrations are colorful, but a bit too scribbly for my taste.

After we read this story, we discussed how this book was similar to other stories we'd read. Our youngest daughter compared it to the book A Friend For Dragon by Dav Pilkey, and I loved that she was able to link the two.

Overall, it
Angela
Nov 24, 2015 Angela rated it it was amazing
Such a fun concept, finding a home for a cuckoo bird. Story if friendship and not giving up. Great satisfying ending
Aryana Ahmad
Feb 26, 2015 Aryana Ahmad rated it it was amazing
Friend- someone that you care for and will always be there for. This story is about Vernon a frog walking along in his own world when he notices a bird (it is a actually the fake ones that just stand). But Vernon doesn't know that he isn't real. Taking the bird many places and seeing if the bird recognizes home but he doesn't.
Personal Reaction - I loved this book! The main thing that struck out to me was how determined Vernon was to help find the bird a home. Through all that Vernon went through
Anna
Nov 04, 2014 Anna added it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Vernon is a friendly frog who comes across Bird as he is gathering interesting things. Bird is curiously quiet and does not speak even when introduced to Vernon’s friends but Vernon stands by Bird and says he is shy but a very good listener. Vernon tries and tries to make Bird happy by taking him along on his foraging adventures and decides that the reason Bird is unhappy is because he does not have a home. So Vernon sets out into the unknown to try out many different places for Bird to be happy ...more
Teresa
This book reminds me of why I love books like David Weisner's Tuesday...I love spare text that says so much with so little, and illustrations that fill in the rest beautifully. And the illos in this book are fabulous! You know by the art what happened and probably how it will end, but it reads so flowingly and the art is such a feast for the eyes, that you'll likely still be pleased by the satisfactory ending.

**edited to add: PLUS, no adverbs were used in the making of this wonderful story!
Dec 07, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Toad meets Bird (a wooden toy) and strikes up an instant friendship. But the longer Bird stays silent, the more Toad worries that he's not happy. Toad decides to try to find Bird's home. The long journey seems to be fruitless. Will Bird ever pipe up? Expressive sketchy watercolors complement the story. Best feature: the voice. Toad is a warm and wonderful friend.
Jim Erekson
Feb 24, 2013 Jim Erekson rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
Okay, I know--willing suspension of disbelief and all that. But at the end when the frog goes to sleep inside the clock it's about 10:00pm and the cuckoo doesn't go off until 6am. Why? Was the author not the one making the decisions?
IndyPL Kids Book Blog
Vernon, the most lovably illustrated toad you will ever see, finds Bird while he's out foraging for interesting things. At the very first he's scavenging through the trash and I love him already. He knows how to find treasure in all that junk and part of the fun of this book is looking at the pictures to see how he "re-purposes" the junk he finds.

One such treasure is Bird, who doesn't talk much. Vernon is determined to find Bird a suitable home and takes him on a journey to find it in a teacup b
Stephanie Croaning
Another great story from Philip C. Stead! Vernon finds a lost blue bird one day and takes him home to meet his friends. The blue bird never makes a sound. I love how the silence of the bird is interpreted in so many ways -- shy, good listener, unhappy, brave, and tired. What a wonderful lesson to teach us about silence, and the importance of getting to know the less outgoing people in the world.

Vernon is such a wonderful friend that he decides to help his bird find the home that makes him happy
Carly Wesley
Apr 30, 2014 Carly Wesley rated it really liked it
By the same author of a Sick Day For Amos McGee which drew me to this book in the first place.

This story is about a a toad named Vernon that finds a new friend who is tiny blue bird. Bird is quiet and silent. Vernon shows him around the river and forest and all his favorite things and his friends. Bird says nothing though.

This book is about caring and friendship. Shows what a friend does for another friend. Vernon is trying to get the bird to come out of his shell and talk. Its charming and re
Donalyn
Vernon, a toad, will go to the ends of the Earth to make his friend, Bird, happy. Adorable illustrations and a sweet message about friendship.
Kay Carman
Feb 23, 2016 Kay Carman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
I found this book on my desk when I arrived at work this morning. My friend Terisa, also a picture book afficianado, had left it for me with a note saying she was sure I'd like it. So right!

A friendly and kind-hearted toad comes across a little blue bird, quiet and shy. Toad introduces him to his friends and neighborhood, but bird remains silent. Afraid that bird is lost and unhappy, toad sets out on a journey to try to return him to his home.

The book deserves several read-throughs, one to rea
Richie Partington
Sep 13, 2012 Richie Partington rated it it was amazing
Richie’s Picks: A HOME FOR BIRD by Philip C. Stead, Neil Porter/Roaring Brook, June 2012, 32p., ISBN: 978-1-59643-711-1

“Like the singin’ bird and the croakin’ toad
I’ve got a name, I’ve got a name”
-- Jim Croce

“Vernon was out foraging for interesting things when he found Bird.”

Vernon is a toad. Bird -- as we learn from the illustration on the full copyright spread -- is the inanimate cuckoo from a cuckoo clock that has been unwittingly sent forth into the world when the hour struck whilst the cloc
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
Oct 30, 2012 Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds) rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This story reminded of the classic Frog & Toad stories, filled with small adventures, wonder, and most importantly compassion and heart.

The book opens with a picture of the “Careful Moving Co.” on the title page where readers will get visual clues as to the origins of Bird. The story starts with Vernon foraging through the forest for interesting things, when he befriends Bird. They spend time together but Bird is quiet, this worries Vernon who decides he must help Bird find his home.

One of t
Kris
4 starred reviews: PW, Booklist, Kirkus, Hornbook

Sweet, sweet story! Illustrations are captivating. Story gets better with each re-reading.

***See interview with Philip Stead at 7 Impossible Things.

"..Observant children will have noticed (next to the copyright information) the overloaded “Careful Moving Co.” pickup truck barreling down the road, where a bump releases a cuckoo from its clock spring. On re-readings, additional story elements will be discovered in the truck...Stead’s loose gouache
Joella www.cinjoella.com
A bird from a cuckoo clock was lost while on a moving truck. A friendly frog named Vernon is very kind and helpful trying to help Bird find the perfect home. (And seriously, I love that the frog is named Vernon. It is a name I haven't seen in children's literature all that often.)

Vernon forages to find things Bird might like. Vernon shows Bird places or things that Bird might like. Vernon really goes out of his way to help Bird. And it is great that even though Bird never speaks, Vernon knows wh
Jessica
Sep 25, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
The art in A Home for Bird wasn't necessarily my favorite style; it actually reminded me a lot of coloring with Crayola markers when they start to run out of ink. Of course, I understand that it's far more deliberate than that, and I look forward to reading Bear Has a Story to Tell, since the art in that looks a little closer to his wife, Erin Stead's style, which I LOVE. The story in A Home for Bird was super cute: a toad who made a new friend named Bird, who we the audience can obviously tell ...more
Mary
May 13, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Vernon the Toad worries that his new friend, Bird, is sad because Bird is lost so Vernon takes Bird on a quest to find his home. This story is all heart and Vernon's generosity and selflessness is inspiring. There's a huge clue to what is really happening on the copyright page, but whether you see it or not you'll still be cheering at the ending. Every aspect of this picture book is special and is rich with detail. I especially enjoyed Vernon's teacup boat and bottle cap hat.
Tasha
May 25, 2012 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Vernon, the toad, was out finding interesting things when he met Bird. Bird wasn’t much for talking, not responding to anything that Vernon said, not even when he introduced Bird to his friends, Skunk and Porcupine. Despite his silence (and his stiffness and button eyes) Vernon proceeded to show Bird around the river and forest. But when Bird didn’t react even to watching clouds together, Vernon started to worry that Bird was depressed. So Vernon and Bird set out to help Bird find his home. They ...more
Linda
The illustrations are wonderfully done, including bright colors and sweet-looking animals. with full page scenes that are gorgeous. Vernon, the frog is out foraging and finds a quiet bird, and the adventure to find a good home for quiet and shy Bird begins. There is a hint about Bird in the opening drawing, shown before the title page, but even my four year old granddaughter said that Bird looked different. She didn’t know how, but caught that something was ‘up’. And it is, there’s a surprise at ...more
Liz B
Feb 08, 2014 Liz B rated it liked it
I imagine that small children would probably enjoy the dramatic irony created by the illustrations, since they will probably understand immediately that Bird is not alive. I liked the movement inherent in the illustrations in this one. But it's not a favorite (I didn't feel it was anything special among the picture books I've read in the last 2 months) and I won't be sharing it with my son, because it doesn't seem like one that he would particularly like.
Lydia
Mar 17, 2015 Lydia rated it really liked it
When "bird" falls off the moving truck, Vernon the toad instantly becomes their friend. But Bird doesn't talk, ever, so Vernon decides he needs to find Bird's home so Bird will be happy and talk again. So begins their quest!

A great little story of friendship, Vernon is a great example of how to be an awesome friend! And has a happy ending that readers may not be expecting.

No content issues.