Start by marking “My Snake Blake” as Want to Read:
My Snake Blake

My Snake Blake

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  55 reviews
What's green, and slithery, and smooth, and ...smart? My snake Blake, that's who! When my dad brought him home, he curved and twisted his body and spelled out "hello."And when my mom was worried he might bite, his response was "relax."This hilarious story about the friendship between a boy and his rather exceptional pet is brought to life by the simple yet delightful drawi ...more
Published June 19th 2012 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about My Snake Blake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Snake Blake

Cathy
I wanted it to be better since I have a grandson Blake. Silly story and bad artwork.
kate
Absolutely loved the 1950s-esque illustrations!
Halee
Reading Level: 3.3
Interest Level: K-3

A cute book about a boy and his pet snake who can morph its body to make words. The illustrations in this book add so much to the story in allowing the snake to serve as both an illustration as well a piece of the text as it makes words. Students will love the kid friendly humor found in the book and it is sure to be a favorite with little boys who have or have always wanted a pet snake!
Jessica Maynard
My Snake Blake is a humorous read aloud that immediately captured my attention! It is about a young boy who receives a snake for his birthday. This isn't just any snake. The snake can write and that is how he communicates. Blake the snake can do many different things. He can cook, he can clean and he can even find car keys. He end up becoming the child's best friend and doing everything with him He is just another person in the family. I chose this book for the read aloud because it is a funny b ...more
Romelle
A fun and quirky picture book. The story is simple and straight forward. It's basically a story about the benefits of having a pet snake. What is intriguing and humorous about this particular story is that this snake can write by forming letters with his slithering body. Kids will definitely get a kick out of it.
Katy
While most readers will love the energetic ink-drawn illustrations of this little prize of a book, I was enamored by the language! The text reads quick & snappy, with great little sentences that are just begging to be read aloud:

"No Way!" screeched my mom.
"Yes Way!" declared my dad, before adding: "This snake
has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
"Says who?" asked my mom.
"Declaration of Independence, second paragraph," said
my dad, snapping his fingers to prove a point.
jacky
We were looking for S books and I saw this in the new section at the library. I was drawn to the unique shape of the book. I was reminded of Crictor quite a bit. Both stories are really more about the snake's personality than a long story with a conflict. This book is more modern and has a child protagonist. It was really intended for older kids since it discussed homework and Blakes writes in cursive (naturally). The snake writing was the most fun detail, but Natalie couldn't enjoy that since s ...more
Barbara
This amusing picture book features a boy who receives an unlikely early birthday present--a very long, green snake who is able to express himself through cursive writing. He slithers about and moves his body into position to form the letters in response to his new family's questions. While the boy's father is delighted with Blake from the beginning, his mother takes a little more time to warm up to him. Blake and his boy bond immediately, and Blake helps in many ways, providing answers to tough ...more
Cheryl
I bought this book to give to my nieces who have the last name of "Blake." I can't wait for them to see their name spelled out with a snake!
Arminzerella
A little boy receives a pet snake for his birthday. Blake the snake is long and green and perfectly mannered – also, he can write (with his body), cook, and answer any homework question. He is the best of pets and the best of friends.

Charming and funny story, with messy, hurried illustrations in black, white, red, and green – perfect for this book where the little boy is the narrator.

Excerpt: “I was in my room, hiding from my homework, when my dad knocked on the door, handed me a big box with a
Ann
A picture book which mentions William Blake, my favorite Romantic Poet, is certain to earn stars from me. In this case, it's Blake the snake. When a boy receives a snake for an early birthday present, he's in for a hilarious surprise. Blake is better than any cat, dog or horse though he makes his mom recoil. He's a snake that can spell out words. Remind you of someone else we know? Yes! "Sam the Firefly." He also assists with homework, handles bullies, and cooks among other things. Using the Dec ...more
Susan Keefe
When you’re a kid and it’s nearly your birthday it takes a very special dad to buy you a bright green snake, especially when mom doesn’t approve.

But not just any snake, this one’s extra smart. Incredibly, he announces his name is Blake, writing it with his very long body which is excellent at spelling! He’s brilliant at homework and so very useful that before long he’s manages to make himself invaluable to the whole family, even his mom.

Snakes might not be the most popular of pets, but in this k
Shelli
A silly fun read aloud about a young boy who is given a snake, by his father, for his birthday. This is not your average ordinary old snake though. Blake the Snake can form words with his long green snaky body. His charm quickly wins over everyone, including the boy’s mother who was initially extremely displeased with her husband for choosing the gift. As soon as I finished reading I couldn't help but say "I want a cool snake like Blake too!" Your kids will do the same for sure, and then ask to ...more
Julian Riley
Great book!!!!!!!
Kris
I dug the nod to the adults in this book:

"This snake has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
"Says who?" asked my mom.
"Declaration of Independence, second paragraph," said my dad, snapping his fingers to prove a point.

Blake is some snake. Not only is he polite and has never bitten anyone, he cooks, scares off bullies, and helps with homework. Who wouldn't want Blake for a pet? Snake lovers will be enthralled.
Monique Welch
Cute book! My son loved it!
Dana Pressnell
Boy gets a snake for a pet. Snake can write in cursive. We like different things
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
An early birthday present from a very special dad– a snake! Mom thinks “father is nuts.” Snake responds by spelling out “hello” and the remarkableness of this snake named Blake doesn’t stop there. He can spell, write and walk the dog! Grab this unique tale and dive in for the adventures of a boy and his snake. Ages 2+.

Reviewed by: Heather Blake, Youth Services Librarian, Vernon Area Public Library
Mary
Cute picture book about a boy and his new pet snake named Blake. Blake is talented in that he can use his body to convey one word messages in cursive. But he's also a very polite snake (opening doors for people), a helpful snake (he can cook), and a smart snake (he helps with homework). It's a simple, but fun story with simple and fun illustrations.
Melanie
A young boy receives a snake as an early birthday present. This is no normal snake. For example, when asked, the snake reveals that his name is Blake. He doesn't bite which puts the boy's mother at ease. And he's quite helpful around the house. The boy realizes that snakes are not the most popular pets but he prefers Blake to a dog or a cat.
IrenesBookReviews
The pictures in this book about a boy and his green snake are all red and green with the main pictures being mostly stick figures in style. I gave this book 5/5 stars. It is an inventive story. I found the text to be funny. I think any little boy will enjoy the story as well as any child who interested in snakes.
Kelsey
Age: 1st-3rd grade

A refreshing step away from the traditional picture book, both in subject (a cursive writing snake) and a more novel-esk writing style. These both gear the picture book to an older audience. The plot had a lot of potential but there was really no climax to owning Blake the snake--he was just cool.
Amy
CUTE! CUTE! CUTE!! The illustrations make this book and you cannot help but fall in love with Blake yourself, even though he is a slimy, cold-blooded reptile. Illustrations are a bit retro with few colors used. This book could make everyone of my students head for the pet store after reading. :)
Heidi
I read this in prep for the Year of the Snake (starting in a few days). Cute and gave me a few smiles. Pictures were a bit odd on occasion, but still fun. Incredible snake, for sure. He was my favorite in the book. Not really much of a point to the story, but I was all right with that.
Beth
Sweet light story about a boy who loves his clever new pet. The way the snake communicates is witty and interesting, and the illustrations are retro cool. But otherwise, nothing memorable.

I agree with other reviewers, that the lack of a plot twist leaves this story feeling limp.
Karen
This pet' s special - he can spell out words with his body among other tricks. Not a snake to scared of. The retro sixties feel of the book is reflected by the simple palette - red, green, black and white. Good choice for story times about unconventional pets.
Sherry
Great to hear of other pets besides cats, dogs, and small furry critters. Lots of repetition and rhyming to get the kiddies attention. My 5 year old loved it. He now wants to visit his cousin who has a slew of Blake's.

Good read for kids who have unusual pets.
Kami
I'm waffling on how many stars. It reminds me of Crictor by Tomi Ungerer ( I loved it when I was little!). Here's a sample:

"He can write!" I gasped.
"Pretty cool, eh?" chuckled Dad. "I paid extra for that."

The snake is seriously cute. I'd kiss him on his face.
Peacegal
Kids will appreciate the crazy storyline of a very talented and literate snake, and adults will enjoy the retro-50's style artwork and wry humor.

I just wish Mom hadn't taken on a '50s role as well--why should female characters always be terrified of snakes?
Lorna
I love the long thin format, and the loose sketchy illustrations grew on me. Cute story about all the ways having a snake is terrific. I'm guessing some of the references/trivia mentioned might go over young readers heads, but they will still enjoy it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Boot & Shoe
  • The Quiet Place
  • Squid and Octopus Friends for Always
  • Dog Loves Drawing
  • Return of the Library Dragon
  • Oh No, Little Dragon!
  • Another Brother
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • Mossy