Start by marking “Cock-a-Doodle Dance!” as Want to Read:
Cock-a-Doodle Dance!

Cock-a-Doodle Dance!

It's all work, no play for the grouchy animals at this Texas farm. Then Rooster catches the jitterbug and things will never be the same!
Published May 22nd 2012 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Cock-a-Doodle Dance!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cock-a-Doodle Dance!

Rebecca
This book is so much fun. As fun as I find the text though, it's really the illustrations that do me in. On the third page, "The rooster wakes his farm at five to start their working day...," the picture of the cow staring at the reader cracks me up. The facial expressions throughout the book should engage and delight the listeners. The text is rhyming. And the rooster and son remind me a little of Looney Tune characters with the big, big eyes. There is one page which mentions "polka pies" landi ...more
Bailey Carlson
Jan 31, 2013 Bailey Carlson rated it really liked it
Using rhymes and catchy vocabulary, Cock-A-Doodle Dance is such a cute story about a sleepy, boring barnyard that a rooster brings to life when he catches a jitterbug. He spreads his dancing all over the barnyard until the chickens' eggs scramble and cows' milk curdles. At this time the barnyard animals get mad at the rooster for spreading this jitterbug around, which is when the rooster decides they need to clean up the barnyard and only dance at dusk. They find this such a balanced life now, u ...more
Abby Gilbert
Jun 25, 2013 Abby Gilbert rated it it was amazing
I had the ultimate pleasure of hearing & seeing this story 'performed' by the author herself when she visited our library! This story is amazing, very colorful, lively & full of life just like the author Christine Tricarico! All the children who attended were mesmerized with this book this amazing author!

I highly recommend Cock A Doodle Dance for kids ages 2-6 to get them actively involved in the story & really get them learning & DANCING!

- Abby -
Angela
Jun 20, 2013 Angela rated it it was amazing
Cock A Doodle Dance is such a rockin' read. I have 4 children & my youngest 2YO has been chanting "cock a doodle DANCE!" ever since we brought it home from the library last week.

My husband even enjoys reading this one repeatedly (it's such an easy, fun read) and the pictures are equally amazing!

Angela MacDonald
Brandy Holly
Jul 01, 2013 Brandy Holly rated it it was amazing
What a fun fantastic book for the lil' ones ... my grand kids LOVED it & grandma even learned some new 'moves'!

Brandy Holly
Son
Nov 16, 2012 Son rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-pb
Might be a really fun one to read allowed during storytimes. Tells all about the many dances and is NOISY! Fun!
Heather
Jul 07, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Storytime!
Shannon Martin
Into to types of dance.
Elizabeth Byers
This book is about a bunch of barnyard animals who love to dance and have caught the “jumpin jitterbug” being led by the rooster. The pigs cows, chickens etc. are all bored as can be on the farm, so the little rooster riles everyone up and leads a big dance. All of the animals are so excited they “boogie” and “woogie” and dance for two whole days. Then they all realize they are exhausted and can't do any work. So the rooster sleeps for one whole day to regain energy, and then he finally cock a d ...more
Barbara
Sep 07, 2012 Barbara rated it it was ok
When all work and no play leaves the farm animals exhausted and lackluster, Rooster decides to get them up on their feet to start dancing. They love all the fun, but no farm work gets done because they're having too much fun. Rooster decides to compromise with a balance of work and play. The end papers in this story written in rhymng lines contain descriptions of dances, and the illustrations are filled with large, comic images of the farm animals. I'm sure there's an audience for this one with ...more
Kelsey
Aug 15, 2012 Kelsey rated it it was ok
Kind of a weird hodge-podge of dance moves with an oddly told story. The farm animals work on a "gloomy, grouchy farm" with no time for enjoyment until rooster's un-introduced child (who then disappears into the story) puts on the radio and dance fever spreads across the farm. The farm animals soon dance themselves to exhaustion. They're so exhausted that they get angry at Rooster for starting the whole dance party, complaining that no work is getting done. Rooster calls for a "Cock-a-doodle Cle ...more
Hayle Lincoln
Apr 18, 2015 Hayle Lincoln rated it really liked it
Cute picture book! I really enjoyed the story as well as all of the pictures to go along with the words. I really do think children would enjoy this book. I will keep this book in my classroom library for my students to have the convenience to read it, and I think this would also be a good and fun opportunity to talk about farms and the animals found on farms. This was a creative story over all and could easily be used in an elementary/middle classroom, it is worth a read!

Tricarico, C. (2012).
Beth
May 24, 2012 Beth rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
Not only are the illustration stiff and cliched - they make all the farm animals look caucasian. The pigs have a peach skin tone, the chickes are all white, the cows are all pale. When children's books use animals instead of people, it's an oppurtunity to show characters that are not burdened with racial markers. This book fails to do that.

Also, I thought the story was weak.
Sarah Rosenberger
Sep 09, 2012 Sarah Rosenberger rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I feel like the rhythm wouldn't work for storytime, and some of the word choices were peculiar ("the cows can't nap with crusty calves," "you'll witness bovines bow and poultries' prancin' legs").
Cory
Sep 12, 2012 Cory rated it liked it
3.5
Shannon
Jul 12, 2012 Shannon rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Isn't there a Dan Santat book coming out later this year that has a similar premise to this? The art was cute and all, but the story didn't make much sense.
Kendra
May 27, 2012 Kendra rated it liked it
Lots of old fashioned phrases to introduce to kids and the end papers have great information about a variety of dances.
Davina
Jul 26, 2012 Davina rated it liked it
Cute rhymes, can't help but add a country twang when reading it :)
Jen
Aug 28, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 1, 3-5yr
Kinda long, but could be fun for an older storytime crowd.
Yoo Kyung Sung
Sep 12, 2012 Yoo Kyung Sung rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-ncbla
Language is different language. Nature of dance is well expressed
Joseph
Jun 20, 2013 Joseph rated it it was amazing
What a fun read aloud! My 1st grade class was enthralled with this story's bouncy text & vibrant illustrations & as a teacher I was very impressed with the informative dance glossary at the end!

Rachel
May 18, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Pretty blatant message, but the rhyme and connections to a variety of dances is interesting.
Edward Sullivan
May 12, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Grouchy farm animals catch dance fever.
Xiaohui Yang
Oct 04, 2013 Xiaohui Yang rated it liked it
all types of dances
Niki (Daydream Reader)
My son said, "I don't like this one." So not sure why he didn't like it...maybe to long for him. But I liked the picture and thought it was fun.
Wendy Garland
Oct 09, 2012 Wendy Garland rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2012
An uninspired group of farm animals discover the jitterbug and next thing you know, they can't stop dancing. Hilarious illustrations accompany this fun-loving story.
Sharon Lawler
Sep 12, 2013 Sharon Lawler rated it liked it
After the farm animals dance themselves into exhaustion, they find a balance between work and play. The personalities of the animals jump out of the illustrations.
D. Field
D. Field rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Amber Lund
Amber Lund rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015