Start by marking “Stop Thief!” as Want to Read:

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  32 reviews
When Randall discovered a thief making off with his favorite stuffed animal, Mr. Pigglesworth, he did what any big boy would do. He set of on a chase to save his friend.Kids will love tracking Randall and the robber as they run out of the house and off to the zoo— past the alligator pool and through the bat caves— then on through the chocolate factory, the city museum, the ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Stop Thief!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stop Thief!

April Thompson
I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but I love adventure books. This time, the adventure lead us through a city trying to stop a thief. How could a thief just steal a cute pig like that?!

Follow Randall for a fun ride that won't disappoint!
Heidi
A very fun book which is too busy on the page to work in a storytime. However, what a fabulous lap-read or read-alone. I enjoyed following along the trails in the different settings. I liked recognizing the clues from the constellations. I loved the little hints at other well-known things. Kids won't really get that, but adults may. The ending is perfect for a child who loves to sleep with a particular toy.
Camille Ryckman
Stop Thief
Brief summary - A little boy says he is all grown up and doesn’t need his pig, Mr. Pigglesworth but changes his mind and finds a thief stealing Mr. Pigglesworth.
Annotation This story is pretty good, the following of the thief through his adventures may be interesting to children.
Age appropriateness 2-5 year olds
Connection to six early literacy skills
Print Motivation - This book has a dotted line for children to follow the thief which makes it pretty fun.
Opinion - This book is just ok
Linzee Gammell
Nov 10, 2014 Linzee Gammell marked it as to-read
Shelves: childrens-lit
1.Randall has officially decided that he is a big boy. No more need for vegetables or to be tucked in by mom and dad. And no more need for his favorite stuffed animal, Mr. Pigglesworth. But when he can't fall asleep and goes to get him he finds a thief taking his favorite pig. Like a big boy Randall chases the thief through town to get his pig back. Does Randall every catch him? Does the thief give Mr. Pigglesworth back?

2.Have the children rewrite the ending how they would have done it!

3.Lane, A
Edward Sullivan
I see a strong Dav Pilkey influence.
Barbara
When young Randall McCoy decides that he's too big for childish things, he leaves behind being tucked into bed and being kissed goodnight. He also leaves behind his favorite bedtime companion, his stuffed pink Mr. Pigglesworth. Unable to sleep, he goes in search of the toy, and finds a thief in the act of taking the stuffed animal. Off they go, through the town's streets, into a chocolate factory, through a museum, and on to a fair where they take to the air, with Randall clinging to a rope. In ...more
Maureen
Randall decides and announces to his parents that he is a big boy now. This includes not needing to sleep with Mr. Pigglesworth, his stuffed pig, anymore. But when I thief steals Mr. Pigglesworth, Randall realizes how special he still is and chases the thief all over town to get Mr. Pigglesworth back. This story includes some great chase scenes -- through a zoo, a chocolate factory, and more. In the end Randall catches the thief, becomes a hero, but most importantly gets Mr. Pigglesworth back.

Th
Bailey Carlson
This is such a fun book about a boy named Randall who chooses to give up everything that goes along with being a kid, and claims that he is a "big boy." When he goes to bed without his stuffed pig, he can't fall asleep and decides to go downstairs and get him. However, he encounters a thief and chases him all around town, even into a hot air balloon! The air balloon crashes, and Randall saves the thief from falling off of a skyscraper. Randall gets his pig back and the thief is arrested. In the ...more
Samantha
Randall declares himself a big boy and therefore doesn't need his favorite stuffed friend Mr. Pigglesworth anymore. All that changes though when his beloved toy is stolen by a burglar! Randall chases the burglar all through 2 page spreads yelling "Stop Thief!" In the end all is righted and the self-proclaimed big boy maintains his status in the company of his favorite toy.

Illustrations are full color and cartoony. They reminded me of Dav Pilkey's work.

I liked how the constellations in the sky
My students LOVED this read aloud. The liked seeing Randall chase the thief through the zoo, chocolate factory, museum, and fair. What really captured their attention was that the constellations presented early in the book represent events from the story. It was a great way to review the story and many of my students asked about real constellations as a follow up. A fun choice for any elementary school group.

Suggested activities: create your own chase picture, design your own constellation, lea
Kristina Lareau
Such a fun, interactive book. The one thing that could have mad this book better is if there was a splash illustration at the end showing toys from Randall's adventure. It would add another layer of "did he dream this or really do it"? Because as the book reads, all the events actually happened.

It's good. It's fun. It will keep you entertained for a while following Randall and the Thief everywhere. But it lacks that depth that you find in the picturebook greats that would make this book, well,
Mary
A little boy decides that he is too old to be tucked in with his stuffed animal, Mr. Pigglesworth. Soon he finds that he needs him after all, but when he goes to retrieve him he discovers a thief stealing the pig. Randall gives chase throughout the city. The reader is able to follow his and the thief's path with a dotted line (a la The Family Circus, but less annoying) that goes through the zoo, an amusement park, and a chocolate factory (among other places). It's a simple story, but lots of fun ...more
Tricia
When Randall declares that as a big boy he no longer needs his stuffed pig, he has difficulty sleeping and heads downstairs to retrieve him. He sees a thief stealing the pig and yells the first of many "stop thief" declarations. The robber runs while he pursues him and his toy. Certain aspects of the book (split and highly detailed illustrations) make it a challenging (yet not impossible) storytime read yet children will enjoy pouring over this title on their own or on an adult's lap.
Pamela
I think this is a really adorable book about a little boy who proclaims himself to be all grown up now. When a thief snatches his Mr Pigglesworth, he follows him all over town, and eventually saves him from falling to his death. He is certainly a big boy now, but all he wants to to go to sleep. Fun cartoon drawings will keep kids looking at each spread for a long time. It would make a great introduction to setting.
Carter and Harrison
What a fun book! The boys had a great time following the path of the boy and the thief! It offered great discussion moments of the things the kids were seeing as the boy chased after the man. Excellent read, and definitely not your typical book!
Christina Jones
I'll add this to my collection of stories for my Mischievous storytime - along with Twenty-Four Robbers and This is Not My Hat. Kids will love tracing the thief's journey and the brave little boy following him.
Elisabeth
This has been in the backseat of my car for the past week and the boys have been loving it and fighting over it...I didn't quite see the appeal - but they sure seem to enjoy it!
A clever book about a boy who thinks he is too grown up for his stuffed pig, but then has to embark on a chase around town when a thief tries to steal his old stuffed friend.
Beverly
what a riot! a bedtime adventure that turns into a little boy chasing the thief of his stuffed pig all over town. The comical illustrations match the text perfectly
Bold illustrations.
Several spreads with only illustrations.
Cartoon-ish situations and possibilities.
Amanda Martinez Kirby
The author used Pittsburgh as the setting for the story. Look for the incline, it is super cute!
Polly
Very cute, and some great chase scenes full of silliness!
Erin
Good for reading one-on-one with younger preschoolers
Carol
Fun illustrations, not my favorite story.
Rachel
Overly silly, but it has lots of kid appeal.
Timothy
This was pretty boring and pointless.
Elsa