Bijou Roy

Bijou Roy

2.98 of 5 stars 2.98  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In Ronica Dhar's powerful debut, her title character,Bijou Roy, isblissfully experiencing the enchantments of first love, her father passes away, leaving her closed off and shaky. Her career and relationship in limbo, she travelsto India to scatter his remains--a ritual traditionally performed by a son--in the river that runs through his native city. However, she doesn't f...more
Published January 17th 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published July 14th 2010)

Joy
I picked this book up because I wanted some light reading, and was pleased to discover that this piece of "chick lit" has some depth to it. Bijou travels to India and learns about her father's past and his involvement in political movements 20 years after Partition. This is a time period I have not encountered before in Indian literature in the US, and it was interesting to get a peek into the politics and philosophy of creating a new Indian nation, essentially from scratch. Although part of me...more
Jouraine
Sep 02, 2012 Jouraine marked it as dnf
Shelves: 2012, fiction, library
This is a book by an Indian author writing about an Indian character who is being forced to go back to the motherland, all the while complaining about how horrible it is, after being in America. Surely, this has never been done before... oh, wait... Maybe I'm just harsh because I recently read Mango Season which was pleasant and easy, compared to this one. I felt like I had already taken the journey, only it was much better the first few times.

There is writing what you know, and then there is p...more
Susan
Disappointed in this novel which started off promisingly. Bright girl, American born, of Indian parents, returns to India (second trip) to spread her father's ashes. The description of Kolata was best and most believable part of the book. Also, some of the history of the Naxalite movement was of great interest to me. But the cultural identity issues, love life (do I love him, or him, or none of above) felt unreal, as did even her reaction to her father's death.
Katie
Really had to push through this book...not sure if it was due to the tough week...or the writing. I guess just read this and gain your own opinion.

This story follows the incongruous life of Bijou Roy, an American-raised Indian. After her father's death, she goes home to rituistically throw his ashes in to the Gangee river. Here in Calcutta, she contemplates her life with her American boyfriend and her new love interest, the son of her father's revolutionaristic best friend.

The story never really...more
The plot hardly breaks new ground--a young woman born and raised in the U.S. to Indian parents travels to India for the first time to release her deceased father's ashes in a holy river. There she pieces together a history of her father that she had never suspected while growing up, and maturity brings a new perspective on her family's culture. However, "Bijou Roy" is so elegantly written, such a lovely elegy for her father and times gone by, that it is well worth the read.
Dee L.
The book's main character, Bijou, grows up in suburban Detroit and moves to Washington, DC. As a result, many of the American geographic references are familiar to me: the Ambassador bridge, commuting from Oakland County to Washtenaw, Pewabic Pottery, Eastern Market, driving from NIH down Wisconsin Ave. to return to DC, cherry blossoms, the Potomac river, U Street.

Funny how that happens.
Linda
I learned a bit about East Indian traditions, but found the book almost boring. The protagonist discovers secrets of her family's past and she evaluates her own romantic interests, but it was a struggle to follow the story line. I had higher expectations...
Beth
Very good book and easy to read. I enjoyed how vividly the author described life in Calcutta - I could very nearly imagine what it was like over there. Incredibly rich, yet simple prose.
Liz
Complicated life of Indian girl brought up in Detroit, she goes to Calcutta and learns about her father's radical and not so heroic past
Becky
A slow moving book. I've read better books about Asian Indians. It is a story about cultural identity and it has a good ending.
Mary Torres
Very touching with a struggle for identity and the passing of a father. You can get lost in this book . . .
Shagufta Pasta
Beautiful language! Made me wish I understood/spoke Bengali.
Waldemar Keyser
Waldemar Keyser marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Manpreet
Manpreet marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Priya
Priya added it
Sep 04, 2013
Remya
Remya marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013