Start by marking “In The Land Of Oz” as Want to Read:
In The Land Of Oz

In The Land Of Oz

On what he calls ‘the adventure of his life', Howard Jacobson travels around Australia, never entirely sure where he is heading next or whether he has the courage to tackle the wild life of the bush, the wild men of the outback, or the even wilder women of the seaboard cities.

In pursuit of the best of Australian good times, he joins revelers at Uluru, argues with racists i
Paperback
Published July 28th 1988 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about In The Land Of Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In The Land Of Oz

Nicola
Jun 17, 2015 Nicola rated it it was amazing
A travel book but more ... Howard Jacobson is not Australian, so doesn't feel the need to be PC about this country. His wry observations bear up much of what I've learned about the place, living here over 33 years. The look is affectionated, but clear-eyed. Although written in the '80s, much of the book holds true today. In one area it has certainly changed and that is Australian cuisine and dining; they are much more sophisticated and worldly, well beyond the ubitquitous BBQed chicken and chips ...more
Gabby
May 29, 2013 Gabby rated it it was ok
Somehow I was expecting a bit more from Mr Jacobson or maybe the 25-30 odd years since he completed the trip and wrote about it haven't been kind to it.
Found the length a bit excessive, as afterwards I couldn't really think of anything that really stood out. To me it was a bit like this:
Sniffy brit author with expat sniffy wife travel all the way around Straya by various means and makes wry observations about strayans doing strayan things. Oh yeh and there's the usual thing about cultural and ra
Sharron
Jul 29, 2016 Sharron rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tedious reading that is neither insightful nor entertaining. Way too much Howard Jacobson and far too little Australia. I wasn't expecting a travel guide a la Frommers or Lonely Planet nor a political commentary or cultural history. That said, neither did I anticipate, let alone want, repetition of mundane cocktail party or backyard barbecue chatter. My recommendation is that you skip this book entirely and read Bill Bryson's Travels in a Sunburnt Country instead.
Brian Horn
Should be a mandatory read for any Australian,. Does for Australia what Bill Bryson did for UK in Notes From A Small Island. Both love the two countries the people and their quirks. Very funny indeed. My first encounter with Australia was identical to his and had me in hysterics!!
Jyv
Aug 30, 2015 Jyv rated it did not like it
Apparently, this books was supposed to be funny (so they claimed on the back cover). It wasn't. It was mind-numbingly boring. I read three chapters and found my eyes were constantly glazing over. I scanned a bit more, dipping into further chapters, hoping it would be more interesting, but was rewarded with more tedium. You get through half the book before he leaves Western Australia. Sydney got a couple of pages, Melbourne a paragraph - none of it in the least interesting.
I couldn't help but th
da-wildchildz
Feb 08, 2015 da-wildchildz rated it it was ok
It has been ages since I read a travelogue and I have itchy feet. Picked up In the Land of Oz Give, hoping it would be an insightful trip to Australia and calm the wanderlust. However, it turned out to be a bunch of dated drivel. Give me Bruce Chatwin’s Songlines for a more perceptive journey down under any day.
Ruth Chippendale
Jun 12, 2015 Ruth Chippendale rated it liked it
I wanted to read a travelogue of these remoter parts of Australia prior to a possible trip, and I embarked on this book without realising it is now quite old (describing a trip done in 1986) and probably out-of-date.
Nevertheless I persevered and enjoyed the read, it may well push me to try some of Howard Jacobson's novels which I have not yet read.
Cheryl Davis
Feb 21, 2012 Cheryl Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
20 odd years on since Jacobson wrote this, Australia and her people (both residents and visitors) have changed in so many ways, and yet stayed the same in so many others. A fascinating read which has made me wish I could get out there and explore more myself.
Rose
Jan 03, 2014 Rose rated it really liked it
Even though this book dates back to travel in the 80's it is interesting and lively. While I wondeer how much has changed, it is a fun look into Australia and impressive for the immense territory covered and the images and personalities conveyed.
Lennox
Lennox rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2013
Mari
Mari rated it really liked it
May 10, 2012
Jonny Hodgetts
Jonny Hodgetts rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Mad Carew
Mad Carew rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2011
Matthew Nilan
Matthew Nilan rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2009
Valerie
Valerie rated it did not like it
Apr 29, 2016
Helen
Helen rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Dylon Paul
Dylon Paul rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2014
Helen Andrews
Helen Andrews rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Holly
Holly rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2009
Sarah rated it it was ok
May 27, 2012
Undreya
Undreya rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Amy Rutherford
Amy Rutherford rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Pat Napoleon
Pat Napoleon rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2015
Laura rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2011
Mary A
Mary A rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Lesley Wickham
Lesley Wickham rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2015
Sharon
Dec 26, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it
Did you know that the Tin Man of Oz had a name? It was Nick Chopper.
Caroline
Caroline rated it did not like it
Aug 11, 2013
Derek
Derek rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • On Foot Through Africa
  • Lois on the Loose: One Woman, One Motorcycle, 20,000 Miles Across the Americas
  • Whole Larder Love: Grow Gather Hunt Cook
  • Clear Waters Rising: A Mountain Walk Across Europe
  • Take Me With You
  • The Man Who Cycled The World
  • My Kind of Place: Travel Stories from a Woman Who's Been Everywhere
  • Return to Oz
  • The Wrong Way Home
  • Pirates in Oz (Book 25)
  • The Wizard of Oz
  • The Road to Oz: Twists, Turns, Bumps, and Triumphs in the Life of L. Frank Baum
  • The Emerald Wand of Oz
  • Girt: The Unauthorised History of Australia
Howard Jacobson was born in Manchester, England, and educated at Cambridge. His many novels include The Mighty Walzer (winner of the Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize), Who’s Sorry Now? and Kalooki Nights (both longlisted for the Man Booker Prize), and, most recently, The Act of Love. Jacobson is also a respected critic and broadcaster, and writes a weekly column for the Independent. He lives in ...more
More about Howard Jacobson...