Start by marking “The Blue Rose: An English Garden Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Blue Rose: An English Garden Mystery

The Blue Rose: An English Garden Mystery (English Garden Mystery #1)

Alex and Kate Sheppard have found the perfect house; the home they had always dreamed of owning. Nestled deep in the Wiltshire countryside and surrounded by a two-acre walled garden, The Parsonage was to be their own little paradise . . . but nothing stays perfect forever.

Soon after moving in they make an impossibly exciting discovery---one that defies every known law of n
Published November 29th 2005 by Minotaur Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Rose

Barbara
Aug 28, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Much more complex and thought provoking than the cozy mysteries I have been reading lately. Don't get me wrong - cozy mysteries have their place. They are very light and enjoyable - however, to me, they seem to have pervaded the literary market to the detriment of other mystery genres.

In any event, this harks back to the reason I came to love mysteries. Besides the obvious, the solving of the mystery - there is the conflicting feeling, thoughts, and motives of the characters you would character
Laurel Bradshaw
Being set in England, and about gardens and gardening, I thought I would love this book, but it was just okay. It did get better toward the end, but I almost didn't finish it, not being terrible interested in the characters. The mystery was tepid - it tried to be a sort of cozy suspense/thriller. That doesn't work! I will read more in this series to see if it gets better.

Book Description from Amazon.com

Lynn
Cannot believe I never entered a review of this book! This is the first of the Lawrence Kingston mystery series and I loved it! I initially purchased one of these at a library book sale and am so glad that happened! This turned out to be quite suspenseful and I loved the twists and turns. This was much more of a thriller than I thought it might be at first. I always love Eglin's inclusion of horticultural information--that is one of the things that makes this series so unique to me, I think. Tho ...more
Judy
Sep 26, 2011 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought I'd try this series as it pertains to garden/gardening. The main character never developed and the story just went on and on with a bad ending. There are 4 more books, but I'll shelve them in my nothing else to read column.
Brandie
What an interesting tale! The title first grabbed my eye because I love roses so much. It isn't my usual mystery either - it doesn't have as much action as I normally like and the beginning was slow, but it felt so right for this story.

The story revolves around Alex and Kate Sheppard. They buy a new house and discover in their new garden a beautiful blue rose. A blue rose does not currently exist - so this is quite a find and many people are interested in getting their hands on this new rose.

Law
Kathleen Dixon
I liked the idea of this book but it was quite plodding unfortunately. I also found the description of the rose a bit too sci-fi - simply "blue" would have been sufficient, without the other superlatives and the twist.
Despite the ploddingness I did read it through. At one stage I decided to skip a couple of dozen pages, but then I wanted to find out what had happened to get it to that point. That shows a good plot, I guess. So then I just skimmed through the long-winded bits.
Jan 25, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding gardening mysteries !!!! Im surprised there aren't more of these types of mysteries .......
Robin
Jan 17, 2015 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A horticulture mystery? I couldn't resist.
Jean
Apr 04, 2012 Jean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, a cozy mystery with a difference. A must read for gardening fans.
Carol
I was so looking forward to this series. I love stories that integrate mystery and horticulture. But this was a disappointment. Alex and Kate were whiney. The Professor Kingston, who supposedly has a role in future Eglin novels , has a lack of personality except being self important Most of the other characters were self serving. clueless or just plain evil.
(view spoiler)
Charice Grace
Jun 09, 2014 Charice Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is very well written. Containing descriptive vocabulary and jocular comments, I found myself intimidated by it and wanting to read more.I especially enjoyed how the author portrayed the growing love between the two protagonists: Alex and Kate. The ending was also very sought out. Eglin cleverly ended the book by referring to the beginning: a murder of crows. To me it symbolizes that with every end there is always a beginning, for the book started with Kate seeing the murder of crows and ...more
Franklie
Sep 21, 2014 Franklie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked up The Blue Rose thinking it was a UK cozy mystery (which I almost always enjoy), but it morphed into an international thriller (which I also enjoy) and the two just didn't seem to mesh well. I usually read slowly, savoring the story and the atmosphere and the vocab, but ended up barely skimming the last half of the book, I was so bored and tired of the vocab which didn't match the characters. It was non-stop "Christ" this and "Jesus" that and very distracting. I'm also not a fan of fou ...more
Connie N.
This mystery started out slow, with a lot of setup about gardening, roses in particular. But as the story progressed, it became much more exciting and interesting. Hard to believe that a one-of-a-kind blue rose would create the passion and excitement that it did, leading to kidnapping and murder.
I liked the reference at the very beginning to a "murder of crows." Kate and Alex are very agreeable but naive main characters who became embroiled in a worldwide scheme. I also liked the gardening quote
Ann
I haven't read any by this author before and I don't think I will again!! Hackneyed, corny, poor plot, the characters were stereotypes from an earlier age, possibly the 1950s . I see that the author, though English, lives in the USA, I think he is writing about a bygone England that he see through rose coloured spectacles! Although published in 2004 none of the characters uses a mobile phone, one character even uses a roll of film, perhaps it published in the USA many years ago? If so perhaps it ...more
Sharon
Oct 30, 2011 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gardeners dream of a mythical blue rose. Anthony Eglin builds on this dream with a standard British mystery. Lawrence Kingston, a bit of a self-assured curmudgeon and a garden expert, investigates the discovery of a blue rose in a English garden, connected to The Parsonage recently acquired by a young couple. Name dropping both of people, places and restaurants, gives a sense of currentness. True mystery aficionadoes may find the tale lacking. I enjoyed thinking about what might happen should a ...more
Fanficfan44
Oct 26, 2012 Fanficfan44 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-mystery
Great characters, great mystery plot and well written! I loved the inclusion of the botany information and the code information linked to the war. All the details show the book was well researched and thought out. I will definitely read more by this author and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes British mysteries or anyone with an interest in botany. Probably Rosemary and Thyme fans will love it.
Bonnie
Sep 23, 2010 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a little while to get really interested in this book, but I ended up enjoying it. Alex and his wife Kate find a blue rose in the extensive and overgrown garden of their recently bought old house. Since a rose that color was unheard of they know they had something rare and extremely valuable and go to a lawyer for advice. The lawyer arranges for an auction. This is not satisfactory to several unscrupulous would-be buyers and Alex and Kate find themselves in danger.
Sarah Adamson
Apr 16, 2014 Sarah Adamson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting mystery - not your traditional cozy! This is the story of a young couple moving into their new home in the countryside. As they clear the overgrown garden, they discover the unknown - a blue rose. The back and forth between the main characters is interesting and very relatable. The mystery itself is complex and full of exciting twists and turns. I look forward to more in this series!
Kim Garza
Aug 05, 2012 Kim Garza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book the old fashioned way, by browsing the shelves of the library. It is a traditional cozy mystery with modern overtones. Alex and Kate Shepard are clearing the extensive garden of their newly purchased English country cottage when they discover an genetic impossibility, a blue rose. This is the start of a good old mystery of greed and murder in the English countryside.

For all fans of traditional mysteries where everything old is new again.
Mira Alecci
I really liked the premise of this book, but was way less than impressed with the storytelling and the writing. The idea of a blue rose turning up in someone's garden with mystery attached to its origins as well as the events that begin to occur after its discovery is wonderful. However, the story itself seemed rather empty and far too much of it was made up of unimaginative phone conversations.
Serena
Jan 30, 2010 Serena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was so very slow. Barely interesting at all. Not even the slightest hook to keep me reading. I finished it in one sitting, and it was painful the whole way. It was a waste of my time. Sorry, Anthony Eglin, if you happen to be reading this. Maybe if the reader was a botanist it would be more interesting...
Samantha
Jun 05, 2016 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the mystery. I love mysteries, especially one concerning a blue rose - wish there such a thing as a blue rose but well....I guess not. Read this book a long time ago & was not disappointed.
Jenn
Feb 25, 2009 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Ugh, boring and kind of basic. No interest in the characters, conflict, or the "detective." It's been done a million times - Hercule Poirot and Nero Wolfe do it better. Didn't finish it....my time is at a premium, and this couldn't hold my interest.
Vivienne Walker
Aug 06, 2011 Vivienne Walker rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is an "English" garden mystery that couldn't be more obviously written by an American. I love crime books and I love gardening so this book, recommended by an American acquaintance sounded perfect. I couldn't finish it because it was so awful.
CLM
Aug 18, 2007 CLM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, uk, gardens
Not only did I enjoy this, I sent it to my friend Heidi who talks about becoming a landscape gardener when she retires from publishing. As a mystery, I felt its pace was a bit slow and predictable but I enjoyed the characters and country setting.
Allison
I'm not normally a huge mystery fan, but I got this book for free from a friend so I thought I would give it a try. I was surprised that I enjoyed it. I liked that it is not based on killing everyone and trying to figure out who did it. Having a mystery based on a flower was a nice change of pace.
Lynn
Jul 04, 2012 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I just discovered this author, Anthony Eglin, and I love the additional horticultural history/knowledge, plus a good ole whodunnit! This was not my favorite of his books I've read thus far, but it also was his debut mystery novel.
Wiebke Kuhn
The plot is just a tad too twisted to be believable, the language is just a bit too British witty, and the characters just too stereotypical (the Professor, the Antique store owner...). But I did learn a few things about roses, so that was fun.
Jacquie
Oct 09, 2011 Jacquie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this a huge amount.
Courtney
Mar 14, 2013 Courtney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mediocre at best.
  • Tea Is for Terror
  • The Cold Blue Blood (Berger and Mitry, #1)
  • For Better, for Murder (Broken Vows, #1)
  • Roots of Murder (Bretta Solomon, #1)
  • Bad Faith (Sister Agatha, #1)
  • Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse
  • Posted To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mysteries #1)
  • Dead as a Scone (Royal Tunbridge Wells Mystery #1)
  • Pushing Up Daisies (Dirty Business, #1)
  • Shadows At The Fair (Antique Print, #1)
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • O' Artful Death
  • Hallowed Murder (Jane Lawless, #1)
  • Scratch the Surface (A Cat Lover's Mystery #1)
  • The Weaver and the Factory Maid (Haunted Ballad, #1)
  • Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)
  • Thistle and Twigg (Thistle & Twigg Mystery, #1)
  • Unraveled Sleeve (A Needlecraft Mystery, #4)
Author of the Arsène Lupin Literary Prize winner THE BLUE ROSE and International Book Awards winner, THE ALCATRAZ ROSE, Anthony Eglin grew up in England and worked in art and advertising before starting The Larkspur Company, which produced a series of best-selling garden videos. Addicted to gardening, his own former pint-sized garden was awarded Garden Design magazine's Golden Trowel Award. Tony i ...more
More about Anthony Eglin...

English Garden Mystery (6 books)
  • The Lost Gardens (English Garden Mystery #2)
  • The Water Lily Cross (English Garden Mystery #3)
  • The Trail of the Wild Rose (English Garden Mystery #4)
  • Garden of Secrets Past (English Garden Mystery #5)
  • The Alcatraz Rose (English Garden Mystery #6)