Become (Desolation, #1)

Become (Desolation #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,079 ratings  ·  182 reviews
Sixteen-year old Desolation Black wants nothing more than to stay in Hell where it’s cold and lonely and totally predictable. Instead, she’s sent back to Earth where she must face the evil she despises and the good she always feared.

When Desi is forced to embrace her inner demon, she assumes her choice has been made—that she has no hope of being anything other than what he...more
Published October 15th 2011 by Smashwords

Incarnate by Jodi MeadowsThe Selection by Kiera CassEverneath by Brodi AshtonA Million Suns by Beth RevisExiled by RaShelle Workman
Breath Taking Covers Of 2011-2012
40th out of 500 books — 860 voters
Switched by Amanda HockingMy Blood Approves by Amanda HockingFate by Amanda HockingBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireTorn by Amanda Hocking
Self-Published Young Adult Books
108th out of 1,377 books — 2,235 voters

More lists with this book...

Giselle
Become is not your average YA paranormal. We're thrown into an intense novel about the battle between angels and demons. Lucifer's daughter, Desolation, is our protagonist and against her wishes, she's being sent back to earth Where there are teenagers and people with… feelings.

Desolation has a really unique personality. Being the devil's daughter she's very cautious, socially awkward and a bit of a loner. She doesn't want to fall in her father's footsteps. In fact, she doesn't really like him a...more
C.k. Bryant
Not just the average YA novel with angels and demons, we're talking the devil's daughter here. A phenomenal story of a girl who should, by all accounts, be a bad girl, but wants so desperately to be good. The story of Desolation Black and her trials as a normal teen, while trying to please her father (AKA: Satan) not only kept me on the edge of my seat, but left me questioning how I see the world. If a girl with such darkness in her life, can find a way to do good, then there's hope for the rest...more
Kai
Okay, fine. I quit. Are you happy?
I guess it was the previous 67% of the book wherein the majourity of what happens is that this chick irritates me with her super whiny, super angsty, super bratty, super emo-ness that kept me from seeing the truth.
Majour, majour spoilers up here, y'all...
(view spoiler)...more
Jolene Perry
I generally steer away from fantasy because half of it is absolutely incredible, and the other half feels more like a description of powers and a new world more than the journey of the character - but I LOVED this book.

This was all about Desi's journey. Sad, crushing, hopeful, torn. All of it was amazing. When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it. I felt like I was truly part of her journey.

OH - and there was lots of good kissing, too.

Ali Cross writes action so well, and that's not an ea...more
Christine Fonseca
I am finally get a chance to write the review for BECOME and will be posting it soon. Suffice it to say that I LOVED the book. Ali Cross weaves a fantastic tale, steeped in Mythology. She brings a bad-ass main character to life in a fresh and exciting way. This is definitely NOT your typical angel/demon story. And the boys...oooohhhhh the boys!!! A great read.
Arla (Leave Mommy Alone)
Thank you to Ali Cross for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review...

I looked at the cover of this book and thought, "Pleasepleaseplease, let this book be as good as it looks on the cover." The cover is so telling. You see beauty, power, sadness, heartache and desperation. You look closer still and you see light mixed with darkness, fierceness mixed with frailty, Heaven mixed with Hell. Like I said, telling - because this is what you'll find in the story as well.

Th...more
S.R. Johannes
10 Things I loved about this book:

1) I know I always say this - but hey I don't read books much if the cover doesn't grab me. It's what I look at first. This cover is awesome. That is a big compliment coming from me b/c my friends will tell you I am picky. I love that it is a badass angel figure. I love the purple and grey. And I love sacrificial undertones. I am actually jealous this is not my cover.

2) Desi is a badass. She is so true to a teen and jumps off the page. She is flawed and I love t...more
Melissa
If you liked reading The Space Between then you will probably like reading this book. To me it had a similar vibe of sadness/otherness and trying to figure out if you could love even if you were not designed to do so, that I enjoyed in the other book.

The main character, Desolation, is the daughter of Lucifer and she likes Hell because it is comfortable/predictable. She really has nothing to fear there, nothing that really complicates her life. Oh she has her duties as Lucifer's daughter, but sh...more
Tammi
In the beginning of this book, you are told the story of when Desolation aka Desi, is born and that her father, Loki or Lucifer came to collect her. Although she is Lucifer’s biological daughter, her mother is not a demon. Being raised in Hell and surrounded by demons her whole life, that is what Desi associates herself with, even though she hides her “spark” from her father and Akaros, her trainer. She thinks that having this “spark” is a weakness.

Desi is given the job of going up to Earth by...more
Pyxi
My review for: Become by Ali Cross
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Shanna Roberson

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Wow. Just wow. Ali Cross has created an elaborate world blended from fable and reality with engaging characters that not only stole my heart, but left me wanting more.

Desolation Black is hell spawn and I mean literally as in Lucifer’s daughter. She plays the part as minimally as possible. She tries to appease her father’s wishes, all but one. No matter h...more
Heidi Garrett
Dec 20, 2012 Heidi Garrett rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Heidi by: FREE Kindle
Become (Desolation #1) by Ali Cross is one of the reasons I love books by Indie Authors. It is edgy and risky. The main character Desolation Black (Desi) is the devil’s daughter. Literally. But, she is more than that. And her struggle with the “more than that” is the gist of the story in this first book of the Desolation series.

I love the themes of Become. Traditional stories have clear-cut lines between good and evil. More and more writers are addressing the truth that that good and evil exists...more
Angela Brown
I first decided to read this novel because I loved the premise and the cover. Something wickedly dark about all of it. I wanted to know more.
Plus, the author, Ali Cross, runs a fantastic blog that I enjoy checking out and I love supporting new authors. So I thought, "Give it a try. What could it hurt?"
I'll tell you, it only hurt my soul that I didn't read it the moment I downloaded it. Yes, this book is that good.
Desi Black is no joke. I suppose that comes from being raised the daughter of the d...more
Canda
Couldn't put it down! I wouldn't think I'd like a book where the main character is Satan's daughter. But I did. It's an incredible tale of love and hope.

The characters are well developed. Lucy will step from the pages to hug you. You'll want to jump in to do the same for Miri. Michael seems like a flat character until his true nature is revealed then wow--great choice for a hero. And Desi pulls you through sorrow, love, fear, despair, revulsion, apathy and hope. Most of all hope! Several others...more
Katopotato
Ali Cross is an immensely talented writer. Her characters are rich and layered - my favorite was Lucy, who simply jumped off the page. I wanted her to be my best friend! BECOME provides a clean romance and an intriguing storyline, with a protagonist who is equally complex. The moral ambiguity of her main character provides a satisfying tale of personal growth. Ali's writing is simple yet effective, without any overly-flowery descriptions, and she conveys emotion well through both exposition and...more
Elana
BECOME by Ali Cross is a page-turning debut! Desolation (Desi) is a compelling character--exactly the kind of girl I want to read about. Someone with internal as well as external conflicts that must be overcome.

The story takes the reader through the range of emotions, with quick wit and excellent writing, to tears when Desi must make hard decisions.

Ultimately, BECOME is about making choices, but I guarantee you won't be able to predict what Desi ultimately chooses...

A fabulous addition to the...more
Nisa
The other reviews I've read have labeled this book a paranormal romance. Now that they mention it, I can see that, but as I was reading it, paranormal was not the description that came to mind.

This is a story about good and evil. It's a mix of Norse mythology and modern Christian theology.

It's heart-breaking, gut-wrenching, but most of all it's hopeful. I fell in love with this book because of the themes presented. First, as stated above, it's a book about hope and redemption. The second theme...more
Idris
Wow! Become is not a normal book, not a normal YA book, and after I finished reading it I understood that it's much more complex and much more obscure than others of this genre.

The story talks about Desolation Black, a girl who's name is not the only weird thing in her life. She is Lucifer's daughter. She lives in Hell surrounded by solitude, but at least her life is better than when she is on Earth. Yes, she have been to Earth and it was awful. But now, she needs to come back and face all those...more
Trisha
I thought this was a great read, and I will definitely hurry along and pick up the next book in the series. I have to say I'm not hugely into angels and the teachings of the Bible, and this book obviously has a fair bit to do with both. Well, the Bible stuff isn't really that obvious but there's just a lot about sin and all that. I really do hate the idea that people who really don't do things that are all that bad (i.e. being alcoholic - yes, it's bad but it's not like it's murder or something)...more
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Can you believe it? An angel-type book that I didn’t immediately want to depose of after I finished it, amazing! It’s such a rare occurrence I feared I’d never find another one again, but here it is. It’s only a 3 star but that’s far better than most angel books fair in my hands…There was some issues I had with it, but overall I found it to be a satisfying read.

The plot itself is pretty unique when it comes to the lore used, because not only does it use Christianity but it pulls in a huge amount...more
Abbie
Become brings an interesting twist to the angels and demons plot. It weaves elements of Norsk mythology and kick-butt action for a creative new paranormal series.

Unfortunately, I didn't like the main character very much. Desolation "Desi" Black is the daughter of Lucifer a.k.a. Loki. She is sent to earth on a mission to retrieve Miri, an alcoholic who has visions of the future. But she doesn't really embody despair and pain; she's very introverted, insecure, and secretly good-hearted -- altho...more
Tyrean
Extremely engaging, powerful fantasy adventure focused on the struggle between light and dark. Desi is surrounded by evil, a child of Satan and a human, yet she refuses to give into the temptation to "become" - which means to embrace all of her dark powers. Sent to Earth by her father, she makes some unexpected friends, has visions of a past she didn't know she had, and discovers how to release the secret spark of light inside herself.

Out of all the books I read over the Christmas season, Becom...more
Maureen
Women face evil in the world every day!

I actually listened to Become twice. It left me questioning the facts or fictions in the world today and I wanted to be doubly clear how this story worked them out.

Thoroughly enjoyed taking this journey with Kelli Shane narrating through audible. Her voice comes across as soothing, confident, and reassuring. Kelli adds character to the heroine herself.

The female population needs an abundance of reading material with women at center stage. And Desi, the her...more
Rosalind M
I was intrigued at first, though I found the Norse variation on Heaven/Hell jarring. But as the story progressed, it felt as if it lost some of the emotional weight that allowed me to identify with Desi and the other characters, and by the end I was much less invested in the characters and their fates. Perhaps because so much info was thrown forward quickly in an effort to reach the climax.
Heather McCorkle
From the depths of Helheim to the lofts of Asgard, this novel propels us on a breathtaking journey of self-sacrifice and redemption. The author takes characters that should be impossible to sympathize with and makes you fall in love with them. I was completely swept away and utterly surprised at how much I enjoyed this story. The author has made a fan for life of me.
Ranee Clark
Audience: YA
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Length: 344 pgs

Rating: *** (I liked it)

Review: So many cool things about this book sucked me in right away. The vivid description of the MCs birth and the cool way the author envisioned Hell. I liked the mythology that backed up the story and the obvious research the author did to fill the story out with great details. I loved the character Miri - how she was so good and so flawed at the same time. The same with Lucy. They both stood out as very real characte...more
CαthεεBooks
Come by my blog, Forever Lost in Books, for MORE reviews, giveaways, interviews and memes!

To see my video review, come by my blog : http://foreverlostinbooks.blogspot.ca...
Laura Pauling
I wanted to read this book just based on the cover.

And I loved it.

Gorgeous writing. Incredible story.

I mean how does a girl, with the devil for a father, choose between good and evil? Desi must choose her own fate, her own life, her own ending.

Charlotte Munro
It was going so well, so much promise and a real great opener, then just at the half way mark I'm unsure if Ali got bored or lost when writing, it changed up so drastically! I am all for character development but to have characters change completely within mere pages of each other was just.. I don't even know! I can understand she tried to go for originality with the Norse twists to the Heaven and Hell take, but it made it utterly confusing and hard to follow, because it kept changing its direct...more
Ariel
Wow! Just amazing! I honestly could not put it down!
It has been a while since I have been able to find a book that makes me read through the night just to see what happens!
The ending was not what I was expecting, and that makes me even happier!
I'm dying to start the next one! And I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for an exciting, adventurous, and heart wrenching book!

Desolation! What a character! I fell in love with her the moment I finished chapter one. Along with so many other...more
Booknut
Amazing. Addictive. Heartbreaking. Wicked. 'Become' is a story of choices, battles spanning lifetimes and love that can last forever.
Boring 1 4 Dec 11, 2013 11:57AM
Book Giveaways: Win Become by Ali Cross 1 9 Nov 07, 2011 07:35AM
Book Giveaways: Giveaway of Become by Ali Cross 1 9 Nov 07, 2011 07:34AM
  • Bound (The Crystor, #1)
  • Exiled (Immortal Essence, #1)
  • Sacred Bloodlines (The Sacred Guardians, #1)
  • Witchy, Witchy (Spellbound Trilogy, #1)
  • Tempest (Destroyers, #1)
  • The Faerie Guardian, Part I
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • Don't Fear the Reaper (Netherworld, #1)
  • Redemption (Redemption, #1)
  • Raven (The Raven Saga, #1)
  • The Fate of Destiny (Fates, #1)
  • Chosen (Guardians of the Word, #1)
  • Awakening (The Watchers Trilogy, #1)
  • Starfire Angels (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles, #1)
  • Sleepers (The Swarm Trilogy, #1)
  • When Copper Suns Fall (Lost Immortals, #1)
  • Threads That Bind (Havoc Chronicles, #1)
  • Forbidden (The Guardian Chronicles, #1)
Ali Cross is a ninja novelist with a black belt in awesome. She lives in Utah with her kickin' husband, two sparring sons, one ninja cat, one sumo dog and four zen turtles.

Ali writes middle grade fiction under the pen name Alex Banks.
More about Ali Cross...
Desolate (Desolation, #2) Destined (Desolation, #3) Blood Crown Personal Demons (Desolation Diaries #1) The Seer (Desolation Diaries #2)

“I was through with sleep. I didn't like what it brought me.” 6 likes