Start by marking “50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker” as Want to Read:
50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker

50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Lynn Alley is the queen of the slow cooker, with three hugely successful books on the subject.

Lynn Alley, author of The Gourmet Slow Cooker, is famous for creating flavorful homemade meals using the kitchen's most coveted countertop appliance--the slow cooker. Inside 50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker, Alley presents bold combinations for 50 new vegetarian and vegan soup
Published September 27th 2011 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about 50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker

Will
Jan 03, 2012 Will rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: militant veterinarians.
At least in the edition on my desk at the moment, it does not mention that all the recipes are vegetarian. Ok, fine. The GR description does mention that, but I had to read quite a few recipes until I reached enough that made a point about substituting a specific meat item for something else before I started to figure it out. A glance at the forward leads to some preachy (and sadly, incorrect) facts about the raising, cooking, and consumption of meat. Ok, a preachy writer, nothing new.

The reaso
Krista
It's kind of hard to rate a cookbook, without making any of the recipes. But I wasn't really too inspired by the recipes that I saw. They all sounded ok, but not great enough to actually copy down the recipe. I do like that Alley doesn't use stock in her recipes, but was surprised that she neither soaked or cooked her beans before cooking. Whenever I've done that it's been a major disaster. I am excited to say that this was my first digital library book that I've taken out! One minor success.
Ashley
I was very excited to realize halfway through this book that the recipes were vegetarian! I'm always on the hunt for great vegetarian recipes for my slow cooker, especially since most recipes I find elsewhere rely overmuch on large amounts of meat. While I am okay with the occasional inclusion of meat in my meals, or with adapting recipes to make them vegetarian, it's always a pleasure to find recipes that are vegetarian to start with.

I was also excited to see some rather unexpected flavor combi
Sara
This is a cute little spiral bound square cookbook containing slow cooker recipes for 50 vegetarian soups. I liked the format of the cookbook, and the vibrant pictures, but as other reviewers have mentioned, many of the recipes require staples that are not standard to the typical American pantry. However, this would be great if you are looking to branch out beyond your typical flavor palette and aren't afraid to experiment.
Deb
A great little book full of vegan and vegetarian soup recipes, all from the slow cooker. Good assortment of global recipes and some unique flavors. I made the Spanish Potato and Olive Soup and it was really good.

Here's a link to my full review and the recipe / pictures: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...
Susan B
I love my slow cooker, and I love soup (especially in winter), so when I saw this book at my local library, I had to borrow it! Unfortunately, I won't be trying any of the recipes, since most of them call for ingredients I don't commonly use and wouldn't otherwise have occasion to purchase.
Miki
Well, I found two recipes that looked good, which is more than usual. Why do so many cookbooks feature recipes my family would rather die of starvation than try?? For instance "Creamy Butternut Squash, Mushroom, Prune and Rice Soup". Uh-huh....like that's gonna happen. NOT.
Deyara
3.5 stars. Pretty good, I liked that the recipes were vegetarian so I didnt have to mess with them too much though she does use a heap of parmesan cheese rinds LOL. Recipes are simple, and the ones I have made so far were pretty tasty.
Emily
What an awesome surprise! Little, unassuming book I grabbed at the library. Packed with really simple yet unusual recipes--about 30 of which I plan to make! Also--totally vegetarian!
Terry
Didn't realize all the recipes were vegetarian. There were quite a few recipes that included ingredients I don't usually have on hand and some are not easy to find in local groceries.
Robin Martin
What a surprise! This is a VEGETARIAN cookbook. Wonderful flavorful recipes. Read my review at SAcramento Book Review.
Vera Wester
Vera Wester marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Rickie
Rickie marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Macken Bennett
Macken Bennett is currently reading it
Oct 08, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Michel Boucher
Michel Boucher marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Jason
Jason added it
May 22, 2014
Denice
Denice marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Cory
Cory marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Victoria Klein
Victoria Klein marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lynn Alley began her career as a cooking teacher at a middle school, where she and her students gained fame for selling handmade, gourmet items at Neiman Marcus. Since then, she has taught the art of cooking throughout the United States and France. Lynn has written for the San Diego Union Tribune, the Los Angeles Times, Fine Cooking, and many other publications.
More about Lynn Alley...
The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Volume II: Regional Comfort-Food Classics Lost Arts: A Cook's Guide to Making Vinegar, Curing Olives, Crafting Fresh Goat Cheese and Simple Mustards, Baking Bread and Growing Herbs Cooking with Herbs: 50 Simple Recipes for Fresh Flavor