Start by marking “50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker” as Want to Read:
50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker

50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker

Lynn Alley, author of The Gourmet Slow Cooker, is famous for creating flavorful homemade meals using the kitchen's most coveted countertop appliance--the slow cooker. Inside 50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker, Alley presents bold combinations for 50 new vegetarian and vegan soup dishes that are as hearty as they are flavorful. A few classics such as Ribollita and French O ...more
Hardcover-spiral, 104 pages
Published September 27th 2011 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about 50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker

Will
Jan 03, 2012 Will rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: militant veterinarians.
At least in the edition on my desk at the moment, it does not mention that all the recipes are vegetarian. Ok, fine. The GR description does mention that, but I had to read quite a few recipes until I reached enough that made a point about substituting a specific meat item for something else before I started to figure it out. A glance at the forward leads to some preachy (and sadly, incorrect) facts about the raising, cooking, and consumption of meat. Ok, a preachy writer, nothing new.

The reaso
Ashley
Jul 28, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, food
I was very excited to realize halfway through this book that the recipes were vegetarian! I'm always on the hunt for great vegetarian recipes for my slow cooker, especially since most recipes I find elsewhere rely overmuch on large amounts of meat. While I am okay with the occasional inclusion of meat in my meals, or with adapting recipes to make them vegetarian, it's always a pleasure to find recipes that are vegetarian to start with.

I was also excited to see some rather unexpected flavor combi
Krista
Jul 26, 2016 Krista rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-find
It's kind of hard to rate a cookbook, without making any of the recipes. But I wasn't really too inspired by the recipes that I saw. They all sounded ok, but not great enough to actually copy down the recipe. I do like that Alley doesn't use stock in her recipes, but was surprised that she neither soaked or cooked her beans before cooking. Whenever I've done that it's been a major disaster. I am excited to say that this was my first digital library book that I've taken out! One minor success.
Katie
Jan 24, 2015 Katie rated it it was ok
I love to browse through cookbooks and use the ideas and adapt recipes for our family. I found the recipe suggestions for different way to prepare French onion soup and tomato soup intriguing and have noted them to try.

Many of the other recipes also sounded good but many required ingredients I do not normally have around the house. For slow cooker use, I prefer few ingredients that I'm likely to already have in the pantry or freezer. If you shop frequently, this probably wouldn't matter.
Sara
Aug 06, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok
This is a cute little spiral bound square cookbook containing slow cooker recipes for 50 vegetarian soups. I liked the format of the cookbook, and the vibrant pictures, but as other reviewers have mentioned, many of the recipes require staples that are not standard to the typical American pantry. However, this would be great if you are looking to branch out beyond your typical flavor palette and aren't afraid to experiment.
Deb
Oct 09, 2011 Deb rated it really liked it
A great little book full of vegan and vegetarian soup recipes, all from the slow cooker. Good assortment of global recipes and some unique flavors. I made the Spanish Potato and Olive Soup and it was really good.

Here's a link to my full review and the recipe / pictures: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...
Deyara
Nov 20, 2013 Deyara rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Pretty good, I liked that the recipes were vegetarian so I didnt have to mess with them too much though she does use a heap of parmesan cheese rinds LOL. Recipes are simple, and the ones I have made so far were pretty tasty.
Sacha Kay
Mar 15, 2016 Sacha Kay rated it liked it
Found 7 recipes that I have to try some day.
Rest of them I didn't like much, or had ingredients that are not available here.
So: overall I'm quite happy, 7 out of 50 recipes is quite a good score!
Susan B
Jan 07, 2012 Susan B rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
I love my slow cooker, and I love soup (especially in winter), so when I saw this book at my local library, I had to borrow it! Unfortunately, I won't be trying any of the recipes, since most of them call for ingredients I don't commonly use and wouldn't otherwise have occasion to purchase.
Miki
May 15, 2013 Miki rated it it was ok
Well, I found two recipes that looked good, which is more than usual. Why do so many cookbooks feature recipes my family would rather die of starvation than try?? For instance "Creamy Butternut Squash, Mushroom, Prune and Rice Soup". Uh-huh....like that's gonna happen. NOT.
Robin Martin
Oct 18, 2011 Robin Martin rated it liked it
What a surprise! This is a VEGETARIAN cookbook. Wonderful flavorful recipes. Read my review at SAcramento Book Review.
Emily
Nov 20, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
What an awesome surprise! Little, unassuming book I grabbed at the library. Packed with really simple yet unusual recipes--about 30 of which I plan to make! Also--totally vegetarian!
Terry
Jan 24, 2012 Terry rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-library
Didn't realize all the recipes were vegetarian. There were quite a few recipes that included ingredients I don't usually have on hand and some are not easy to find in local groceries.
Avonelle Wing
Avonelle Wing rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2015
Kerry
Kerry rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Dianne
Dianne rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2016
Rex Flottman
Rex Flottman rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
richard palczewski
richard palczewski rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2015
Yvonne Flanders
Yvonne Flanders rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2012
Allison
Allison rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2015
Meg Dean
Meg Dean rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2012
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2012
Lori
Lori rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2013
Tina Flamberg
Tina Flamberg rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Huma Rashid
Huma Rashid rated it did not like it
Oct 29, 2012
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Brianna Cope
Brianna Cope rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
May 05, 2013
Jeremiah
Jeremiah rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Lynn Alley began her career as a cooking teacher at a middle school, where she and her students gained fame for selling handmade, gourmet items at Neiman Marcus. Since then, she has taught the art of cooking throughout the United States and France. Lynn has written for the San Diego Union Tribune, the Los Angeles Times, Fine Cooking, and many other publications.
More about Lynn Alley...