Start by marking “Mere Apologetics: How to Help Seekers and Skeptics Find Faith” as Want to Read:
Mere Apologetics: How to Help Seekers and Skeptics Find Faith

Mere Apologetics: How to Help Seekers and Skeptics Find Faith

Throughout history there have been great and articulate defenders of the faith, from Augustine and Aquinas to Jonathan Edwards, G. K. Chesterton, Francis Schaeffer, and C. S. Lewis. But with new challenges comes the need for a fresh apologetic that specifically addresses the arguments levied against faith in our time of scientific atheism and skepticism.

In the spirit of C.
Published January 1st 2012 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Mere Apologetics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mere Apologetics

Kris
Great book, for what it tries to do. I love McGrath, and this book was almost a 5-star, but I couldn't ignore the flaws, however minor. There was a spot where he uses a parable to make an apologetic point completely different from the original divine meaning of the story. In another section he simply bashes on Philip Pullman and Dan Brown for a while, tearing apart their fictional works without really coming to a point. McGrath needs a more outspoken editor. And I wish he would have made this bo ...more
Tim Baumgartner
First let me say Alister E. McGrath is a great teacher. That's one reason why I say this is a great introductory apologetics book. Oh, you don't know what that is? 'Apologetics is to be seen not as a defensive and hostile reaction against the world, but as a welcome opportunity to exhibit, celebrate, and display the treasure chest of the Christian faith' (11).

Sometimes, there is confusion about this and evangelism. And McGrath explains this in the first chapter. 'Apologetics is about persuading
Lydia
Dec 01, 2014 Lydia rated it it was amazing
Having never actually studied apologetics before, this was the perfect introductory book! McGrath provides plenty of explanation (what exactly "apologetics" means, for instance), several examples, but best of all tries to help the reader find their own method for sharing their faith.

As I mentioned, I've never studied or been "trained" in apologetics (as such) before, so I was rather surprised at how many methods I already use, but was also happy to learn of new methods that I'd thought were bey

Irina T
Oct 10, 2016 Irina T rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books on Apologetics I've ever read!
Hady Nabil
Jun 02, 2014 Hady Nabil rated it really liked it
An excellent starter for any one interested in apologetics.
Terri Hubbard
Mar 10, 2017 Terri Hubbard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Introduction to Apologetics

Very informative! Although the book was short, it was packed with great ideas on how to effectively share my faith.
Steven Kopp
May 27, 2017 Steven Kopp rated it really liked it
Not always the most engaging in style, but when I skimmed back through and saw what I highlighted, I realized it was pretty insightful after all.
Bendick Ong
Oct 29, 2013 Bendick Ong rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
To start with, and to tell the truth, am quite tired of apologetics cos from my limited experience, seldom do classical arguments win souls for the Lord. Instead these exchanges often end up with ok-this-is-what-you-believe-and-this-is-what-i-believe-and-lets-agree-to-differ. And often debates (esp through chains of emails) would take up a lot of precious time.

I used to love classical apologetics though. For its rational rigor allows me to practise the art i am supposed to be specialised in -phi
Henk-Jan van der Klis
De vertaling door Arend Smilde van Mere Apologetics tot Handboek apologetiek – Communicatie van het christelijk geloof brengt het ‘vakgebied’ apologetiek in leesbaar formaat bij de Nederlandse lezer. Waar een volledige en unaniem gedragen definitie ontbreekt, zit er natuurlijk een kern in betekenissen als excuses aanbieden of verdedigen. Erkennen wat waar is, en dit verdedigen, aanprijzen en vertalen naar de context van de toehoorder. In de loop van de kerkgeschiedenis zien we zo verschillende i ...more
Brendan
May 15, 2013 Brendan rated it liked it
Shelves: theology, nonfiction
This was an excellent introduction to Christian Apologetics. But, as I said, an introduction. Having read much over the past few years in terms of apologetics and overcoming barriers to reasonable faith, this book didn't do much for me in terms of growing in head knowledge.

If you are new to the world of defending the faith of the gospel, please get this book. It will help you understand and address some of our culture's challenges to Christian faith.

But if, like me, you have read works like Mer
Don Henrikson
This is an excellent introduction to apologetics. McGrath covers the basics in an easy-to-read style, helps the reader see the need to develop a personal style and method of apologetic, and offers them tools for doing just that. This book serves the apologetic student who has studied the standard questions and answers by helping them understand how to actually use what they have learned. Highly recommended.
Forrest Smith
May 27, 2013 Forrest Smith rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent introduction to Apologetics in a broad sense. It is simple yet substantive with excellent points and suggestions for "doing" apologetics. I am not a novice in Apologetics, but I am not an expert either. I found this work to be engaging and informative, and I would recommend it for anyone interest in the subject or anyone who desires some deeper tools for addressing doubts and criticisms of the Christian faith.
Pancho
Feb 06, 2013 Pancho rated it really liked it
This book is a good introduction to Apologetics for anyone that is seeking to develop their own apologetic strategies. McGrath does a good job of covering all the basics and giving survey-style answers while being careful to encourage the reader to not cut and paste the answers but to develop their own.
Kyle McManamy
Jan 09, 2012 Kyle McManamy rated it liked it
Shelves: apologetics
3.5 - McGrath's book was easy to read and had some interesting points hither and yon, but he tries to cover too much in the space available. I left impressed with his knowledge base, some good illustrations, and books to read, but I think there were too many generalities here to make the time a productive read in apologetics.
Brad Shockley
Nov 17, 2015 Brad Shockley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on apologetics

McGrath is obviously a brilliant, learned man able to write on a level only the brightest could understand, but in this book he takes something mostly discussed in academic circles and makes it understandable and attainable, as well as practical.
Dan Lacich
Feb 03, 2013 Dan Lacich rated it it was amazing
I love the way McGrath approaches the whole topic of apologetics. This is not a book of canned answers to questions about the Christian faith. Rather it gives a framework for how to approach criticisms of Christianity with both a solid intellect and a winsome spirit.
Budi Kurniawan
Jul 15, 2012 Budi Kurniawan rated it really liked it
Nice book on apologetics. It gives pretty much practical insights more than the 'theories'. It's also quite interesting to note how McGrath somehow emphasized using the postmodern influence in our world today to reinforce our apologetics methods.
John Adams
Jul 02, 2016 John Adams rated it liked it
Does a pretty good job of making the case for why apologetics is important and laying out a framework for how one goes about the work, but is very sketchy in terms of actually helping the reader move from this theoretical approach to actually practicing apologetics.
Rex
Jun 22, 2012 Rex rated it really liked it
Shelves: apologetics
I found this book to be an excellent introduction to apologetics, particularly in the area of engaging the postmodern mindset with the claims of Christianity. McGrath wisely points out that one needs to develop their own apologetic style and not depend on the recitation of "canned" answers.
Adam
Jan 09, 2014 Adam rated it really liked it
Solid book.
R.P. Bosman
Een interessante inleidende studie over apologetiek. Het hoe, wat en waarom wordt helder uitgelegd zoals we van McGrath gewend zijn.
Tony denBok
Solid.
Tyler Prescott
Jun 02, 2014 Tyler Prescott rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Great introduction to apologetics - highly recommended.
Sherif  Anis
Feb 20, 2015 Sherif Anis rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
كتاب رائع لتعلم مبادئ الدفاعيات وهو حديث وملم بما سبقه..
Stephen Bedard
Mar 05, 2012 Stephen Bedard rated it it was amazing
A very useful introduction to apologetics, providing practical guidance. Good for beginners and veterans.
Chris Bundy
Nov 11, 2012 Chris Bundy is currently reading it
I haven't quite got to this yet but I have other books by McGrath and so I am confident this will be as good. I will update when I get to it.
Dawson Miller
Feb 24, 2013 Dawson Miller rated it it was amazing
Good handbook for evangelism, focuses on answering the right questions in a winsome way
  • Seven Days That Divide The World: The Beginning According To Genesis & Science
  • When God Goes to Starbucks: A Guide to Everyday Apologetics
  • The Intolerance of Tolerance
  • Paul for Everyone: Romans, Part One: Chapters 1-8
  • God Is Great, God Is Good: Why Believing In God Is Reasonable And Responsible
  • NIV, The Case for the Resurrection, Paperback: A First-Century Investigative Reporter Probes History's Pivotal Event
  • The God I Don't Understand: Reflections on Tough Questions of Faith
  • God in the Wasteland: The Reality of Truth in a World of Fading Dreams
  • Backgrounds of Early Christianity
  • A Place for Truth: Leading Thinkers Explore Life's Hardest Questions
  • A Meal with Jesus: Discovering Grace, Community, & Mission Around the Table
Alister Edgar McGrath is a Northern Irish theologian, priest, intellectual historian, scientist, and Christian apologist. He currently holds the Andreas Idreos Professorship in Science and Religion in the Faculty of Theology and Religion at the University of Oxford, and is Professor of Divinity at Gresham College. He was previously Professor of Theology, Ministry, and Education at King's College L ...more
More about Alister E. McGrath...

“Faith reaches out to where reason points and does not limit itself to where reason stops.” 4 likes
“To be rooted is perhaps the most important and least recognized need of the human soul.” 3 likes