Start by marking “Mere Apologetics: How to Help Seekers and Skeptics Find Faith” as Want to Read:
Mere Apologetics: How to Help Seekers and Skeptics Find Faith

Mere Apologetics: How to Help Seekers and Skeptics Find Faith

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Throughout history there have been great and articulate defenders of the faith, from Augustine and Aquinas to Jonathan Edwards, G. K. Chesterton, Francis Schaeffer, and C. S. Lewis. But with new challenges comes the need for a fresh apologetic that specifically addresses the arguments levied against faith in our time of scientific atheism and skepticism.
In the spirit of C
Published January 1st 2012 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Mere Apologetics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mere Apologetics

Tim Baumgartner
First let me say Alister E. McGrath is a great teacher. That's one reason why I say this is a great introductory apologetics book. Oh, you don't know what that is? 'Apologetics is to be seen not as a defensive and hostile reaction against the world, but as a welcome opportunity to exhibit, celebrate, and display the treasure chest of the Christian faith' (11).

Sometimes, there is confusion about this and evangelism. And McGrath explains this in the first chapter. 'Apologetics is about persuading
Lydia
Having never actually studied apologetics before, this was the perfect introductory book! McGrath provides plenty of explanation (what exactly "apologetics" means, for instance), several examples, but best of all tries to help the reader find their own method for sharing their faith.

As I mentioned, I've never studied or been "trained" in apologetics (as such) before, so I was rather surprised at how many methods I already use, but was also happy to learn of new methods that I'd thought were bey

Bendick Ong
To start with, and to tell the truth, am quite tired of apologetics cos from my limited experience, seldom do classical arguments win souls for the Lord. Instead these exchanges often end up with ok-this-is-what-you-believe-and-this-is-what-i-believe-and-lets-agree-to-differ. And often debates (esp through chains of emails) would take up a lot of precious time.

I used to love classical apologetics though. For its rational rigor allows me to practise the art i am supposed to be specialised in -phi
Brendan
This was an excellent introduction to Christian Apologetics. But, as I said, an introduction. Having read much over the past few years in terms of apologetics and overcoming barriers to reasonable faith, this book didn't do much for me in terms of growing in head knowledge.

If you are new to the world of defending the faith of the gospel, please get this book. It will help you understand and address some of our culture's challenges to Christian faith.

But if, like me, you have read works like Mer
Hady Nabil
An excellent starter for any one interested in apologetics.
Tyler Prescott
Great introduction to apologetics - highly recommended.
Forrest Smith
This is an excellent introduction to Apologetics in a broad sense. It is simple yet substantive with excellent points and suggestions for "doing" apologetics. I am not a novice in Apologetics, but I am not an expert either. I found this work to be engaging and informative, and I would recommend it for anyone interest in the subject or anyone who desires some deeper tools for addressing doubts and criticisms of the Christian faith.
Kyle McManamy
3.5 - McGrath's book was easy to read and had some interesting points hither and yon, but he tries to cover too much in the space available. I left impressed with his knowledge base, some good illustrations, and books to read, but I think there were too many generalities here to make the time a productive read in apologetics.
Pancho
This book is a good introduction to Apologetics for anyone that is seeking to develop their own apologetic strategies. McGrath does a good job of covering all the basics and giving survey-style answers while being careful to encourage the reader to not cut and paste the answers but to develop their own.
Rex
I found this book to be an excellent introduction to apologetics, particularly in the area of engaging the postmodern mindset with the claims of Christianity. McGrath wisely points out that one needs to develop their own apologetic style and not depend on the recitation of "canned" answers.
Dan Lacich
I love the way McGrath approaches the whole topic of apologetics. This is not a book of canned answers to questions about the Christian faith. Rather it gives a framework for how to approach criticisms of Christianity with both a solid intellect and a winsome spirit.
Budi Kurniawan
Nice book on apologetics. It gives pretty much practical insights more than the 'theories'. It's also quite interesting to note how McGrath somehow emphasized using the postmodern influence in our world today to reinforce our apologetics methods.
Adam
Solid book.
Chris Bundy
Nov 11, 2012 Chris Bundy is currently reading it
I haven't quite got to this yet but I have other books by McGrath and so I am confident this will be as good. I will update when I get to it.
Stephen Bedard
A very useful introduction to apologetics, providing practical guidance. Good for beginners and veterans.
Dawson Miller
Good handbook for evangelism, focuses on answering the right questions in a winsome way
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Daniel Carr
Daniel Carr marked it as to-read
Q Miles
Q Miles marked it as to-read
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Kim
Kim is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
  • When God Goes to Starbucks: A Guide to Everyday Apologetics
  • Seven Days That Divide the World: The Beginning According to Genesis and Science
  • Divine Sovereignty and Human Responsibility: Biblical Perspective in Tension
  • God in the Wasteland: The Reality of Truth in a World of Fading Dreams
  • Encounters with Jesus: Unexpected Answers to Life's Biggest Questions
  • A Meal with Jesus: Discovering Grace, Community, & Mission Around the Table
  • Scaling the Secular City: A Defense of Christianity
  • The God I Don't Understand: Reflections on Tough Questions of Faith
  • On Guard: Defending Your Faith with Reason and Precision
  • Cold-Case Christianity: A Homicide Detective Investigates the Claims of the Gospels
  • Unspeakable: Facing Up to Evil in an Age of Genocide and Terror
  • 20th-Century Theology: God and the World in a Transitional Age
  • The Doors of the Sea: Where Was God in the Tsunami?
  • Work Matters: Connecting Sunday Worship to Monday Work
  • A Place for Truth: Leading Thinkers Explore Life's Hardest Questions
  • Readings for Meditation and Reflection
Alister E. McGrath is a biochemist and Christian theologian born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and currently enjoys the Title of Distinction “Professor of Historical Theology” granted by the University of Oxford. He is the author of several books on theology and history, including In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible and How it Changed a Nation, a Language, and a Culture and The Twi ...more
More about Alister E. McGrath...
C. S. Lewis: A Life: Eccentric Genius, Reluctant Prophet Christian Theology: An Introduction The Dawkins Delusion?: Atheist Fundamentalism and the Denial of the Divine In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible and How it Changed a Nation, a Language, and a Culture Christianity's Dangerous Idea: The Protestant Revolution: A History from the Sixteenth Century to the Twenty-First

“Faith reaches out to where reason points and does not limit itself to where reason stops.” 1 likes
“Apologetics is both a science and an art. It is not just about knowledge; it is about wisdom. It’s like a skilled and experienced medical practitioner, who knows the theory of medicine well. But she has to apply it to her patients, and that means learning how to relate to them—how to help them tell her what the real problems are, finding ways of communicating technical medical terms in ordinary language, and explaining how they can be addressed.” 0 likes