Start by marking “Building a House” as Want to Read:
Building a House

Building a House

Briefly describes the steps in building a house.
Published April 1st 1981 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Building a House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Building a House

David
Jun 13, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Building a House by Byron Barton is a basic, step-by-step look at the construction of a family home. Starting with a green hill and ending with a family moving into the completed home, Barton shows the whole process. Diggers, cement mixers & a foundation, bricklayers, carpenters, floors, walls, roofs, fireplace and chimney, plumbers putting in pipes, electricians wiring lights, windows and doors, and painters are shown as the house is built.

The text is clear and moves along step by step. Voc
Shanna Gonzalez
Jul 14, 2010 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-00-04
Byron Barton's deceptively simple cartoon-like drawings and streamlined text may seem unimpressive at first glance. But this author has a distinctive gift for distilling essential components of any event or theme into a page-turningly smooth story that the youngest child can follow. In this volume, he describes and illustrates the step-by-step construction of a family home, beginning with "a green hill" with land surveyors pictured, and ending with a family moving into the home. It's an excellen ...more
June
Nov 10, 2015 June rated it liked it
Recommends it for: construction and house or home requests
Recommended to June by: program reference book
The trucks were extremely popular in the beginning, but the book was a bit long for lap time.
Chacha (Vanessa) Centeno
Just used in a room full of kids with little English skills. We discussed the parts of a house and then they built their own using Citi Blocks. The simple vocabulary and illustrations were great.
Nell Adams
May 12, 2015 Nell Adams rated it liked it
This book is great for a young boy, maybe age 2 or 3. The illustrations are not very detailed but are bright in color which are attractive to the little kids/ There are only about 4 or 5 words on eat page and this will allow the children to not get bored quickly. This book is about builders building a house. On each page it is a different step that builders need to accomplish. For example they first find a spot, then use the machine to dig a hole, use hammers and saws, and etc... This can be qui ...more
Rebecca
Mar 14, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 2-5
Fabulous introduction to the steps necessary for building a house. Appropriate for ages 2+. (At least my 24-mo-old benefited from it.) Great way to teach vocabulary, occupations, and sequencing.

I used this as a basic introduction to building for my almost four-year-old and followed it up with a book containing photographs and greater details (Building a House, by Ken Robbins, really written for much older reader, but I wanted photographs for portraying reality). I recommend pairing this book wit
Mommywest
Sep 20, 2011 Mommywest rated it really liked it
Outlines the steps of building a house without getting too complicated. The text is very simple, leaving a lot of room for describing what's happening in the pictures, if desired. Some other reviewers have mentioned that they have used this book in a kindergarten or pre-k setting and have added an activity or visual project along with it. Others pointed out that there are geometric shapes throughout. You could use this to talk about the different kinds of jobs that people do, or something simila ...more
Erin
Building a House describes the process of building a house using easily understandable descriptions and simple, colorful illustrations. Starting with a green hill and ending with a family moving into the house, each step of the process is described along the way. This book does a good job of showing how something is created from start to finish and how each person involved has their own important part to play, there are a lot of options for adding extra discussion as well. Toddlers especially in ...more
Apr 06, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
This is an overly simplistic book about how a house is built - even considering a preschool audience. It bugs me that there's no mention of time; it makes it seem like the house can be built in a day. Still, the illustrations are crisp and clear, and facing white pages with bold text make it good for early readers.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 2/22/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read during a Pre-K class visit on 6/9/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at drop-in story time on 4/30/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Janet
Mar 31, 2016 Janet added it
Shelves: ece-bookshelf
Each open page has a simple sentence and illustration which takes the reader through the process of building a house. Excellent informational book for children to learn about how a house is built.

Age: 2+

Skill: Narrative Skills (This book is well suited for narrative retelling of the sequence of events that occur to build a house.)
Samantha
Step by step a house is built. I liked seeing how each person added something essential to the house. The illustrations do a great job of detailing all the steps in the process. A great read aloud for construction enthusiasts PreK-2.
Emerson and Theodore
Sep 12, 2012 Emerson and Theodore rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Just checked this book out for a 2nd, maybe 3rd time. One of Barton's earlier works and it shows his original drawing style--a bit more detailed but still the solid bold colors.
This time we checked it out from the Marcy branch library.
Jenna
Jan 25, 2011 Jenna added it
This is a short story abotu the process of building a big house. It has great illustrations, and It has alot of 1st grade site/spelling words, so it's good for them to practice reading them.
Heather
May 12, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Margaret is in love with this book. Very quick read, great for reading to a toddler on the potty.
Angelina
Feb 17, 2016 Angelina rated it really liked it
Good choice of book for teaching building, construction and engineering!
Stephanie
Jul 29, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: helen-plum
Art II and Art III classes were very captivated by this book at Gymboree :)
Paula
Sep 19, 2013 Paula rated it liked it
Read for Early Headstart on 9.19.2013
Linda Costello
Mar 02, 2010 Linda Costello rated it it was ok
This book is appropriate for pre-k. It has very few words. I used it in my pre-k placement. The students "built a house" using a large prop as I read the story.
Kris Siegel
Aug 29, 2013 Kris Siegel rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-misc
Nonfiction for storytime. Byron Bartons clear, spare text & illustrations are great!
Gail
Nov 19, 2009 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I'll be using this for a kindergarten unit on houses and homes. I likeBarton's books; they look simple but pack a lot of content. My two year old didn't ask for this one again, though.
Amy
Jan 14, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
Another great Byron Barton book that my nephew loved. Faboulous pictures, and very entertaining for a little one.
Kelly Rae
Feb 03, 2012 Kelly Rae rated it liked it
Construction Storytime!
Bianca
Sep 04, 2012 Bianca added it
Shelves: child
We are adding new vocabulary to the simple process Barton describes. Words like "roof," "compressor," and "backhoe loader" are easy to learn when we are looking at and listening to the real thing.
Paula
Nov 04, 2011 Paula rated it liked it
One liner text on a page next to the bold and colorful pictures
Briefly describes the steps in building a house.
Colleen
Everyone Needs a Home unit
Janae
Mar 17, 2015 Janae rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
A very basic understanding of how a house is built. My 3 1/2 year old now "reads" this one to me.
Sandra
Mar 07, 2010 Sandra rated it liked it
This book takes the reader through the steps of building a house. Many geometric shapes can be found throughout this book.
Leila T.
Jun 09, 2012 Leila T. rated it liked it
Very bright and simple and graphic, but I feel like some of the words could have been more specific.
Kristen
Dec 03, 2013 Kristen rated it liked it
Byron Barton writes great books for toddlers. Wonderful illustrations, simple text, and using stories or ideas that toddlers care about. This book is no exception.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Shape by Shape
  • Dig Dig Digging
  • That's Not My Tractor
  • Red Truck
  • It's Disgusting and We Ate It!: True Food Facts from Around the World and Throughout History
  • Roadwork