Building a House

Building a House

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Briefly describes the steps in building a house.
Published April 1st 1981 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Building a House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Building a House

David
Building a House by Byron Barton is a basic, step-by-step look at the construction of a family home. Starting with a green hill and ending with a family moving into the completed home, Barton shows the whole process. Diggers, cement mixers & a foundation, bricklayers, carpenters, floors, walls, roofs, fireplace and chimney, plumbers putting in pipes, electricians wiring lights, windows and doors, and painters are shown as the house is built.

The text is clear and moves along step by step. Voc...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Byron Barton's deceptively simple cartoon-like drawings and streamlined text may seem unimpressive at first glance. But this author has a distinctive gift for distilling essential components of any event or theme into a page-turningly smooth story that the youngest child can follow. In this volume, he describes and illustrates the step-by-step construction of a family home, beginning with "a green hill" with land surveyors pictured, and ending with a family moving into the home. It's an excellen...more
Rebecca
Fabulous introduction to the steps necessary for building a house. Appropriate for ages 2+. (At least my 24-mo-old benefited from it.) Great way to teach vocabulary, occupations, and sequencing.

I used this as a basic introduction to building for my almost four-year-old and followed it up with a book containing photographs and greater details (Building a House, by Ken Robbins, really written for much older reader, but I wanted photographs for portraying reality). I recommend pairing this book wit...more
Mommywest
Outlines the steps of building a house without getting too complicated. The text is very simple, leaving a lot of room for describing what's happening in the pictures, if desired. Some other reviewers have mentioned that they have used this book in a kindergarten or pre-k setting and have added an activity or visual project along with it. Others pointed out that there are geometric shapes throughout. You could use this to talk about the different kinds of jobs that people do, or something simila...more
Katy Bennett
The simplest of stories but great progression from start to finish. This book tells the story of how a house is built.
Erin
Building a House describes the process of building a house using easily understandable descriptions and simple, colorful illustrations. Starting with a green hill and ending with a family moving into the house, each step of the process is described along the way. This book does a good job of showing how something is created from start to finish and how each person involved has their own important part to play, there are a lot of options for adding extra discussion as well. Toddlers especially in...more
Stephanie
Art II and Art III classes were very captivated by this book at Gymboree :)
jacky
Love Barton. Just the perfect amount of info, spread out in easy chunks. William enjoys it.
This is an overly simplistic book about how a house is built - even considering a preschool audience. It bugs me that there's no mention of time; it makes it seem like the house can be built in a day. Still, the illustrations are crisp and clear, and facing white pages with bold text make it good for early readers.
Samantha
Step by step a house is built. I liked seeing how each person added something essential to the house. The illustrations do a great job of detailing all the steps in the process. A great read aloud for construction enthusiasts PreK-2.
Emerson
Just checked this book out for a 2nd, maybe 3rd time. One of Barton's earlier works and it shows his original drawing style--a bit more detailed but still the solid bold colors.
This time we checked it out from the Marcy branch library.
Jenna
Jan 25, 2011 Jenna added it
This is a short story abotu the process of building a big house. It has great illustrations, and It has alot of 1st grade site/spelling words, so it's good for them to practice reading them.
Amy
Another great Byron Barton book that my nephew loved. Faboulous pictures, and very entertaining for a little one.
Bianca
Sep 04, 2012 Bianca added it
Shelves: child
We are adding new vocabulary to the simple process Barton describes. Words like "roof," "compressor," and "backhoe loader" are easy to learn when we are looking at and listening to the real thing.
Gail
I'll be using this for a kindergarten unit on houses and homes. I likeBarton's books; they look simple but pack a lot of content. My two year old didn't ask for this one again, though.
Nakitah
Tells the steps of building a house. This can introduce geometry into our everyday life. Also, it can be made into a project where groups of students have to build a house of their own
Linda Costello
This book is appropriate for pre-k. It has very few words. I used it in my pre-k placement. The students "built a house" using a large prop as I read the story.
Kristen
Byron Barton writes great books for toddlers. Wonderful illustrations, simple text, and using stories or ideas that toddlers care about. This book is no exception.
Sandra
This book takes the reader through the steps of building a house. Many geometric shapes can be found throughout this book.
Paula
One liner text on a page next to the bold and colorful pictures
Briefly describes the steps in building a house.
Leila T.
Very bright and simple and graphic, but I feel like some of the words could have been more specific.
Heather
Margaret is in love with this book. Very quick read, great for reading to a toddler on the potty.
Kris Siegel
Nonfiction for storytime. Byron Bartons clear, spare text & illustrations are great!
Paula
Read for Early Headstart on 9.19.2013
Geni
Very simple...basic use of sight words
Kelly Rae
Construction Storytime!
Colleen
Everyone Needs a Home unit
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
My Car Trucks Board Book Trains Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs Board Book The Three Bears Board Book