How to Piss in Public: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood

How to Piss in Public: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  23 reviews
 Though technically a memoir, this is more a compendium of hair-whitening bar stories that punch you in the throat until your eyes explode. Many people have watched their friends die and some have been to jail. There are those who have stepped in the ring with professional fighters and been beaten within an inch of their lives. Others have created media empires. V...more
Published March 20th 2012 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about How to Piss in Public, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Piss in Public

Topher
I wish rating systems still had half stars, but at some point, people in charge of media-based websites decided half stars were too much responsibility for common people. Anyway, I would give "How to Piss in Public" (or, "The Death of Cool" which is what its new, consumer-friendly title is) two and a half stars if the star fascists would let me. I like Gavin, I think he's smart, entertaining, and in general is on the right side of the thought line these days on some important things. That said,...more
Douglas Tatelman
I really enjoy Gavin McInnes on Redeye and I love his contemporary writings at takimag.com. But I didn't enjoy much of this book and skipped quite a few chapters.

The bulk of the book is about all the stupid things Mr. McInnes did in his younger days. These memories are best not shared. It might be fun and worth a few giggles, but for most of us, growing up once is more than enough, we don’t need to relive someone else’s stupidity.

I prefer not knowing everyone’s past. Better to be mysterious and...more
Christopher
I like a good boozey/druggy/crazy memoir, but McInnes is mostly just a dick. The main point he's trying to make toward the end is that drugs and alcohol are fun and all, but your future and your children are more important, and anything that could take you away from your family is the stupidest thing possible. With this in mind, I'm not sure why he included a chapter about the time he was nearly killed scuba diving because he couldn't be bothered to pay attention during the safety class.
Sanaya
This book makes everything I've ever read or watched look tame. It was a quick read, and an interesting and at times entertaining look into a subculture that, by the end of the book, I was glad not to be a part of. The ending was a nice reflection on what had at times been an excessively graphic and edgy to the point of seeming forced string of anecdotes.
John
I am loving this book. Great stories about horrible things.
Brandon Seevers
The journey from childhood to adulthood can definitely be a bumpy one, which I’m currently experiencing as I type this. Gavin’s voyage is no different, well… it’s not a typical bumpy one anyway. McInnes began as an immigrant from England who decided early on that being a rebel is something what he wanted to be. He was in a punk band, battle Nazis, planted evergreens, co created Vice magazine, took every recreational drug, slept with multiple women on multiple occasions, “partied” with Tommy Lee,...more
Eliot
A quick, fun, and entertaining read! Gavin McInnes is a master of the anecdotal arts, and I have never laughed out loud as much as I did when I read this book. While comparisons to Tucker Max can be easily drawn, at the end of the day I'd much rather be friends with Gavin than Tucker. The only possible fault I can find with the book is that it ends on an abruptly sober note. Otherwise the book will make you laugh and at (rare) times even admire humanity. There are many flawless descriptions and...more
Adam
These stories are a far cry from the nature of Vice as we know it, a.k.a. trust fund New Yorkers who throw themselves in the dangerous corners of the world. McInnes fully discloses that this is nothing but drunken, partially true story telling. That suspension of disbelief helped me laugh my ass off. This book is so great. It's full of hysterical, off-the-wall story telling reminiscent of pulling a great stranger aside for a beer when traveling through the US. I would read this book again if I c...more
Kevin Hollywood
Rauchy and funny
Naomi
Fans(and I am not a douche)and those who follow Gavin McInnes will appreciate the background into this adult wild child! Those who don't won't! Gavin has always cracked me up, although I must be honest and state that it took me a bit to get into the "Gavin" method of writing compared to his speech-about page 100, I was finally able to get into the rhythm.

Word of warning: If you are easily offended by language, sex and drug use...DO NOT READ THIS BOOK, YOU WILL PAN IT
Tom
I don't think I've ever laughed so hard reading a book in my life before. Gavin is the guy you either love or hate. He's the guy at the bar with the most outrageous stories and one hell of a knack for telling them. There is no shame or sugar coating in his narrative. He cuts out the shit and what your left with is the defining moments that turned a crusty punk with angst and ambition into an older, wiser father who loves his family.
rob
Dec 23, 2012 rob rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Would have rated it higher, but the essays dedicated to his sexual conquests were kinda dumb... or possibly catering to a more frat-ish demographic? The portions of the book exploring his trials and tribulations were far more compelling than the Penthouse Letters stuff.

With that said, the back quarter of the book written about his life post-marriage were genuinely interesting and insightful. More of that, please.
Stephanie
It started out great - hilarious, completely inappropriate, and plain awesome. But about halfway through the book, around the time the author moves to New York, EVERY story becomes a story about "that time he did too much coke" or "that time he went on a 4 day bender." It just got repetitive. He's so funny though, I'd love to read more by him now that all the crazy stories are out of the way.
Kris
I'd say go buy it now, if the store isn't open break the window with a brick and take a copy.

You'll laugh and you might cry and you'll come out thinking your life should be way fucking more exciting than it currently is.

I'm pretty much someone who says yes to anything, so if by forty I continue how things are now, I might just be able to match the stories written in this brilliant tome.
Brenna
I haven't even read Vice mag in probably ten years; I can't remember where I heard about this book, but I'm glad I did. It's really funny and a super fast read. Gavin McInnes comes across as a bit of a cock sometimes, but overall, it's enjoyable and I'd definitely recommend it. Undoubtedly geared toward a male audience, incidentally, so if you're a lady, you may not be into it.
Paul
If you liked I hope they serve beer in hell you will like this book. This is about the author Gavin McInnes and goes from when he was a teenager in Canada to his 40th birthday. The chapter "The Time I gave Myself An STD is is so gross, and so funny I could not stop laughing. Read this book.
Loren
The audiobook is ALOT better, Gavin telling he stories is hilarious! It's pretty crazy, disgusting at parts, absolutely ridiculous for most, but it's a fun change of pace book from a guy that's led enough madness for five people's lives, all by 40.
Dave White
It's handful of stories from the every bodies favorite prankster. Short and sweet read, get's a bit slow in a middle, but recovers pretty good. Might not be all true, memory is a fickle mistress after all, but teaches a worth of a good story.
Charlie Wells
A hilarious book full of great stories you and your friends will be hollering about. I love this guy...a little chauvinistic but one of my idols in life.
Justin
It wasn't consistently great reading, but it's one of the few books that has made me laugh out loud.
Ross
Great little blips into his life and funny stories all around.
Ma
Hellz yeah. This book rules so hard. Go big.
Joe Antognini
Joe Antognini marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Ry
Ry marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Nick Ancona
Nick Ancona marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Street Boners: 1,764 Hipster Fashion Jokes The Death of Cool: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood Vice Dos and Don'ts: 10 Years of VICE Magazine's Street Fashion Critiques Completely Pip and Norton: Volume One The Vice Guide to Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll