Bachelor Brothers' Bed And Breakfast

Bachelor Brothers' Bed And Breakfast

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  804 ratings  ·  162 reviews
"One day, I put myself in the car and simply drove. I had no idea where I was going or why. I had no idea... I would wind up, at dusk, in a lost little valley, turning up the driveway of the Bachelor Brothers' Bed and Breakfast."
The best books, as you read them, take you from wherever you are to a place where you want to be. If you're a reader of a certain type - a lover...more
Published 1993 by Douglas & McIntyre

Leah
I first heard about this book on BookCrossing a couple years ago. I thought it sounded cute and picked up a copy at a library book sale. Finally got around to reading it (one down on Mt. TBR! I'm actually quite proud of myself because I haven't been getting books out of the library lately. Instead I've actually been tackling my home collection).

This book surprised me. I know that I'm not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but I was honestly expecting it to be a lot fluffier than it actually...more
Petra
I chuckled through this warm and loving book. The stories told and the people introduced tell of warm, interesting, quirky and human times.
The stories of life in a B&B, written & lived by bachelor twin brothers who have lived their entire lives in their secluded and quirky valley, are well-written and often insightful. And always entertaining.
The idea of a B&B set up as a reading recluse for people often too busy in their lives to quietly sit & read is appealing. Somewhere on Va...more
Dianne
Finally, a Canadian book that isn't all darkness and angst and swearing. Ok there are a couple of swear words but overall this is a wonderful book.

Hector and Virgil (who in my mind is the spitting image of the authour) are middle-aged twin brothers who have turned the house they grew up in into a bed and breakfast on Canada's west coast. The brothers are book lovers who see their home as a retreat for readers. Their guests are welcome to use the brothers' well-stocked library or to bring their...more
Yvette
I can't begin to tell you how truly special this book is.
Practically like nothing you've read before.
At least it was not like anything I'd ever read.
Not really a novel, more like a series of stories filled with colorful and eccentric characters who flit in and out of the brothers'lives. It is warm, witty, smart, funny, wise, outrageous, charming, intelligent and, well,I could go on and on. Needless to say,I LOVED this book. And also the follow-up BACHELOR BROTHERS'BED & BREAKFAST PILLOW BOOK...more
Ann
I liked it the first time through. I liked it even better the second time. Gently humor made for radio shows. Put a bunch of the shows together and you get a portrait book of a little slice of life on an island in the great northwest and vignettes from people who stay at the Bed and breakfast. It's a little weird how all the people have the same "writing voice", but it's a pleasant one so that's OK.
Judy
What an amazing thing the mind is! For some reason, this book popped into my mind last night. I read it probably in 1997 or there about. I know I was living in Phoenix & working at the Tempe Public Library. I just remember it as a delightful, quirky book. Think I might read it again. Wonder how many other book titles that I've read are lurking in my 74 year old brain!
Moira Fogarty
Feb 27, 2012 Moira Fogarty rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Erin sopran, Brett Polegato, James Levesque
Shelves: comedy, canadian
'Bachelor Brothers Bed & Breakfast' is a cozy little novel perfect for vacationing, commuting, bathroom reading, or days when you & the weather are crappy; 30 sparkling vignettes told in 152 tidy pages.

Published in 1993, I didn't hear about it myself until I started working at Quest Books in 1995. My Manager, Susan, enthusiastically hand-sold it to almost every customer who walked in the door, like so: "Buy this! It won the Leacock Award for Humour! You'll LOVE it, I promise!"

People wo...more
Mindy
A true book about two Canadian brothers, twins in their 50s, who decide to turn the home they've always lived in into a bed and breakfast. We read first-hand accounts of certain guests and their lives (from a guest book the brothers keep), and we learn about the brothers' crazy mother and her even crazier conception story. We read about the brothers' amusing memories/experiences with each other, the smut-novel writer/beauty-products lady down the street, the brothers' adoptive kitty and delightf...more
Ayla
A truly funny and engaging novel about 2 middle aged twin brothers and their special bed and breakfast place catering to those who appreciate the written word. I just loved the stories that the guests left in their quest book as part of the custom instead of just signing it. There were some scenes i laughed hysterically over, such as how the cat was named, and the melting of the caramels. A great book for a bibliophile!
Skylar Burris
This is a book lover's book. It's a series of vignettes about the owners and guests of a Canadian Bed and Breakfast, and the one theme that seems to run through all of the individual little pieces is a love of reading. The stories are replete with literary references and reflections on the value and pleasures of reading, and they are even occasionally interspersed by book lists of recommended reading for various moods and locations. It's a diverting little book that can be enjoyed in small chunk...more
Sharron
This is a charming, whimsical little tale. A bit on the fluffy side for my tastes but happily for me, it was the perfect follow up to the very dark story (Larson's "In the Garden of Beasts") that I read immediately preceding it. This juxtaposition of reading experiences reminds me how much the order of what we read influences our opinion of a book. So often whether or not you enjoy a book is the result of, or at least affected, by whatever you read beforehand or read simultaneously. All the more...more
Veronica Lubkin
I really enjoyed this little book. It is beautifully written and reading it makes you feel as if you are visiting this very appealing B&B without the disadvantage of having to share your bathroom!
Barbara
What a fun read! I even got a list of authors to check out from the "lists of ten books" various characters recommended. I don't think I'd want to spend winter parts of Canada after reading this.
Mrsgaskell
I decided to re-read this little gem while vacationing on Vancouver Island.

From my original notes:

This is a delightfully witty book about middle-aged twin brothers who run a bed and breakfast on an island off the coast of B.C. It deservedly won the Stephen Leacock Award for Humour. Sadly, the book is fictional, otherwise my reservation at the B&B would be made, and my books would be packed. These vignettes about the brothers, their gentle guests who come to read, and resident pets, Waffle th...more
Donna
Synopsis: Hector and Virgil are unmarried men who run a bed and breakfast on a Canadian island. The book alternates between notes from Hector or Virgil, and "Brief Lives," short stories culled from the B & B's guest book. Since they don't have a TV at the B&B, books and conversations between the guests at the inn play a large role in the story.

An easy, enjoyable read for the holidays. Each guest at the inn had a different reason for being there and a different story to tell.

This would...more
Melissa
A delightful bit of fun. I rarely laugh out loud when I'm reading, but several times I was afraid I would wake David up. Not a great work of literature, but a wonderful read!
John
This book is listed not listed as non-fiction but really only because names have been changed by the author. This book is primarily extracts of a guest book and the life observances of the owners of a small B&B. The author frequented this B&B and put this book together with the help of the owners and the comments made in the guest book. The owners, fraternal twin men, are very fond of books and their clientele are likewise. This little book is very pleasant, sometimes funny, and comforti...more
Doreen Fritz
If you're ready for a light but pleasant read, this one is for you. Humorous but not deep, this is the story (or rather, the collection of journal entries) by and about the proprietors of a small bed and breakfast on a Canadian island. They are twins in their 50's, and their primary passion is books. Their B&B is packed with books and readers. We come to know them slowly via their individual journal entries as well as those contributed by various visitors to their establishment. The feeling...more
Tatra
Oh, this was such a nice read. Relaxing, but you really get to know the characters. And I want to go here. :D
 Marla
Shawn
So-so. Mildly entertaining in some spots.
Kind of reads like a book of short stories about the owners and visitors of this bed and breakfast.
Susan
Bookish and fun and quirky and Canadian.
Cindy
I was half afraid from the title and cover of this book that it would be full of platitudes and hand-patting characters. Not. at. all. What a delightful read! If you enjoy not just a plot, but sentence structure, word choice, wit and humor, this would be a great choice. Two brothers run a B & B near Vancouver Island. This is their view of their lives and livelyhood plus snippets from guests, marked as fiction but another reviewer adds that it is really adapted from an actual B & B. Whate...more
Liz
Jul 19, 2008 Liz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Liz by: Jessica
Quirky, funny, and kind of sweet - this is a good book to curl up with when you want a short escape filled with a lot of odd characters. It reads a little like an NPR segment, in a good way. The bed & breakfast is owned by two brothers, and you get to know them, their animals, and their stream of guests, like they are your very own neighbors. There are some light life lessons, and even a recipe or two, but it is mostly about people being themselves and the beauty found in that.
Lorraine
This is a book lover's book. It's a series of short paragraphs about the owners and guests of a Canadian Bed and Breakfast, set on a small island near Vancouver. The one theme that seems to run through all of the individual little pieces is a love of reading. The stories are replete with literary references and reflections on the value and pleasures of reading, complete with book lists of recommended reading for various moods and locations.
Zufar
Well, I found this book whilst browsing a charity shop in London, and what a find it was. It's quite a simple read and of course an enjoyable one. The continuous musings of Hector and Virgil (And of course, the guests) kept me entertained, and the brothers' mother reminded me of my own. In short, a thoroughly pleasant read and my praise goes to the author for injecting humour and drama through the words of two fifty year old bachelors.
Laura Armistead
There's a reason why Bill Richardson won the Stephen Leacock award for best humorous book. This is a dear story about two brothers who run a B & B. They are hysterically comical and their adventures with other characters and animals is memorable. I've read everything he's written about these two brothers and nothing has disappointed me. He also has a great kid's story "The Aunts Come Marching" that is also delightful.
Jackie
This book was so much fun to read.
Geoff

Dull the way CBC is dull. I assume that you read this kind of book over your organic eggs with the radio on, to congratulate yourself for being so damn enlightened. Boring and afraid to do anything edgy. Desperately trying to appeal to some romanticized nostalgia, more than that, trying to create it. Self congratulatory. I did not enjoy it. The writing is acceptable and cute, but hardly clever enough to carry it.
Jan Brooks
Delightful! Twin brothers who happen to be book-lovers also run a bed and breakfast on an island off the coast of Canada. Who could make a book out of that premise? But the book is just as I imagine their little enterprise--simple, unpretentious, and outrageously funny! And charming. There's not a plot particularly--just following the daily comings and goings throughout the year. Really enjoyed this book!
  • Our Lady of the Lost and Found: A Novel of Mary, Faith, and Friendship
  • King Leary
  • The Provincial Lady in London
  • Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town
  • Home to Woefield
Bill was born and grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba on a quiet little street. He admits to being a shy kid, a quality that has carried over into his adulthood. With his two brothers and the neighborhood children, Bill would play hide and seek, red rover and tag. They got into the usual sorts of mischief: garden raids and snowball fights.

Bill has always taken comfort in reading. As a child his tastes w...more
More about Bill Richardson...
After Hamelin Bachelor Brothers' Bed & Breakfast Pillow Book Waiting for Gertrude: A Graveyard Gothic Bachelor Brothers' Bedside Companion Dear Sad Goat: A Roundup of Truly Canadian Tales and Letters

“Novels and gardens," she says. "I like to move from plot to plot.” 7 likes
“And so we became who we are: gentle and bookish and ever so slightly confused. It is not a bad way to be, when all is said and done.” 6 likes