Start by marking “Bachelor Brothers' Bed And Breakfast” as Want to Read:
Bachelor Brothers' Bed And Breakfast

Bachelor Brothers' Bed And Breakfast

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  998 Ratings  ·  196 Reviews
"One day, I put myself in the car and simply drove. I had no idea where I was going or why. I had no idea... I would wind up, at dusk, in a lost little valley, turning up the driveway of the Bachelor Brothers' Bed and Breakfast."
The best books, as you read them, take you from wherever you are to a place where you want to be. If you're a reader of a certain type - a lover
Published 1993 by Douglas & McIntyre

To ask other readers questions about Bachelor Brothers' Bed And Breakfast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bachelor Brothers' Bed And Breakfast

Leah
Feb 12, 2010 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first heard about this book on BookCrossing a couple years ago. I thought it sounded cute and picked up a copy at a library book sale. Finally got around to reading it (one down on Mt. TBR! I'm actually quite proud of myself because I haven't been getting books out of the library lately. Instead I've actually been tackling my home collection).

This book surprised me. I know that I'm not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but I was honestly expecting it to be a lot fluffier than it actually
Petra
May 11, 2013 Petra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chuckled through this warm and loving book. The stories told and the people introduced tell of warm, interesting, quirky and human times.
The stories of life in a B&B, written & lived by bachelor twin brothers who have lived their entire lives in their secluded and quirky valley, are well-written and often insightful. And always entertaining.
The idea of a B&B set up as a reading recluse for people often too busy in their lives to quietly sit & read is appealing. Somewhere on Va
Dianne
Dec 09, 2011 Dianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, a Canadian book that isn't all darkness and angst and swearing. Ok there are a couple of swear words but overall this is a wonderful book.

Hector and Virgil (who in my mind is the spitting image of the authour) are middle-aged twin brothers who have turned the house they grew up in into a bed and breakfast on Canada's west coast. The brothers are book lovers who see their home as a retreat for readers. Their guests are welcome to use the brothers' well-stocked library or to bring their
Yvette
Nov 21, 2009 Yvette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't begin to tell you how truly special this book is.
Practically like nothing you've read before.
At least it was not like anything I'd ever read.
Not really a novel, more like a series of stories filled with colorful and eccentric characters who flit in and out of the brothers'lives. It is warm, witty, smart, funny, wise, outrageous, charming, intelligent and, well,I could go on and on. Needless to say,I LOVED this book. And also the follow-up BACHELOR BROTHERS'BED & BREAKFAST PILLOW BOOK
Judy
Apr 21, 2015 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first picked this up about 18 years ago when I was between houses and had no access to my library, then finally moved and life took over. It was so nice to find and re-read it. A pair of twin bachelor brothers tell us about running a bed and breakfast out of their family home. Secure in themselves, Hector and Virgil are happy to learn new skills (Morris dancing and the bassoon) and tend to their guests. Interspersed with commentaries by some of their guests, the book is simply a delight. I reg ...more
Patty
Nov 20, 2015 Patty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved listening to Bill Richardson spin his stories on CBC radio but hearing the tales was more enjoyable than reading them in this "pillow book" of anecdotes, reading lists, and 'letters' from former guests at the fictitious B and B run by middle-aged twin brothers. The stories are linked to a narrative that runs through the book and there's a 'reveal' of sorts at the end but Richardson's characters are a bit too broadly drawn, a bit too quirky—be it the caretaker with both a pet chicken and ...more
Hillary-kristen
Sep 15, 2014 Hillary-kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS A GEM OF A BOOK. It deserves all caps, really it's that good. This is a very COZY book, great for a rainy day or just before bed. It's a sweet, gentle and fun read. I really loved it. Virgil (my favorite) and Hector (love him also!) are twin brothers who operate a small B&B in the house which they were raised in (their mother left to them). They've never lived anywhere else but in their charming house on an island in Canada. And that's they way they like it. Among their many and ever ...more
Darlene Foster
Nov 27, 2014 Darlene Foster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A laugh out loud fun read everyone will enjoy.
Ann
Jan 10, 2010 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readforbookgroup
I liked it the first time through. I liked it even better the second time. Gently humor made for radio shows. Put a bunch of the shows together and you get a portrait book of a little slice of life on an island in the great northwest and vignettes from people who stay at the Bed and breakfast. It's a little weird how all the people have the same "writing voice", but it's a pleasant one so that's OK.
Judy
Oct 02, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing thing the mind is! For some reason, this book popped into my mind last night. I read it probably in 1997 or there about. I know I was living in Phoenix & working at the Tempe Public Library. I just remember it as a delightful, quirky book. Think I might read it again. Wonder how many other book titles that I've read are lurking in my 74 year old brain!
Pihla
Jan 29, 2015 Pihla rated it really liked it
Heartwarming and delightful!
Emily
Dec 18, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Came across this on a list of feel-good books, and since it was Canadian like me, ordered it on a whim. It's basically a collection of short stories based around the eponymous bed & breakfast establishment run by twin brothers Hector and Virgil. Each chapter is basically a self-contained little story, most of them told either by Hector or Virgil but occasionally a short biographical story told by one of the guests who comes to stay in the bookish B&B. If you enjoy short, amusing, homey s ...more
Moira Fogarty
Feb 27, 2012 Moira Fogarty rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Erin sopran, Brett Polegato, James Levesque
Shelves: comedy, canadian
'Bachelor Brothers Bed & Breakfast' is a cozy little novel perfect for vacationing, commuting, bathroom reading, or days when you & the weather are crappy; 30 sparkling vignettes told in 152 tidy pages.

Published in 1993, I didn't hear about it myself until I started working at Quest Books in 1995. My Manager, Susan, enthusiastically hand-sold it to almost every customer who walked in the door, like so: "Buy this! It won the Leacock Award for Humour! You'll LOVE it, I promise!"

People wo
Northerngirl
Apr 26, 2015 Northerngirl rated it really liked it
I found this book sitting in the lobby of my building and brought it home with me where it sat on my bookshelf for quite some time. I picked it up recently and began reading it and was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it. I really would love to know where this place is and would love to visit it, however since the book was written about 20 years ago I feel as though the brother may be retired. I found them both interesting and loved that they had guests write a brief history of their ...more
Colleen
A magical book that can pick me up when I'm feeling down. A book I can pick up at any point in the story and enjoy again as if for the first time. If I'm having one of my insomnia nights where I can't stop thinking about things I could have said or done differently or things that went wrong ect. I pick up these books and start to let go and feel better. I really love the lists of suggested books to read that are included throughout the book.
Stacie Dore
Apr 17, 2016 Stacie Dore rated it liked it
This book is a high brow funny book. The reason that I 'only' gave this book three stars has probably more to do with me than the book. My brow is just not that high. I also think that this is the first humorous book that I have ever read and I have come to understand that I just don't appreciate humour in books. This book was more like a collection of short stories and as such I just felt they I could not really get into it. I could not fully care about the characters.
Gerry
Apr 29, 2016 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A most delightful read -- one that warrants an occasional return trip, as this would be an excellent guest room bedside book (if only we had a guest room!). An assortment of characters pen their brief bios and thoughts during their stays at the BBB&B, with the result that I want to go and stay there too, and make their acquaintance.
Michele
I listened to this book on audio, read, unfortunately, by the author. From what I know he is a Canadian radio personality. I hope he doesn't have a late-night show, because if he does, people are mostly likely sleeping rather than listening. If I have a chance, I might try to read the book. I think it probably is very funny, since I laughed out loud several times despite the expressionless voice of the reader. The characters were quirky and interesting and I especially loved the parrot.
Massanutten Regional Library
Gloria, Village patron, July 2015, 3 stars:

This book about twins who inherit a place they make into a bed and breakfast where guests are welcomed and surrounded with books to read. Included in the book is a recipe for Banana muffins and lists of good reads. This list is books they recommend for reading.
Jan 16, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Two bachelor brothers open a B&B out of their mother's house after she dies. They have created a solitary haven for book lovers. Not only was the premise of this story exceptional but, the writing was pure literary enjoyment. 5 stars all the way!!
Mindy
Apr 26, 2013 Mindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-lit
A true book about two Canadian brothers, twins in their 50s, who decide to turn the home they've always lived in into a bed and breakfast. We read first-hand accounts of certain guests and their lives (from a guest book the brothers keep), and we learn about the brothers' crazy mother and her even crazier conception story. We read about the brothers' amusing memories/experiences with each other, the smut-novel writer/beauty-products lady down the street, the brothers' adoptive kitty and delightf ...more
Ayla
May 26, 2014 Ayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly funny and engaging novel about 2 middle aged twin brothers and their special bed and breakfast place catering to those who appreciate the written word. I just loved the stories that the guests left in their quest book as part of the custom instead of just signing it. There were some scenes i laughed hysterically over, such as how the cat was named, and the melting of the caramels. A great book for a bibliophile!
Skylar Burris
Nov 18, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
This is a book lover's book. It's a series of vignettes about the owners and guests of a Canadian Bed and Breakfast, and the one theme that seems to run through all of the individual little pieces is a love of reading. The stories are replete with literary references and reflections on the value and pleasures of reading, and they are even occasionally interspersed by book lists of recommended reading for various moods and locations. It's a diverting little book that can be enjoyed in small chunk ...more
Sharron
Jul 23, 2012 Sharron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a charming, whimsical little tale. A bit on the fluffy side for my tastes but happily for me, it was the perfect follow up to the very dark story (Larson's "In the Garden of Beasts") that I read immediately preceding it. This juxtaposition of reading experiences reminds me how much the order of what we read influences our opinion of a book. So often whether or not you enjoy a book is the result of, or at least affected, by whatever you read beforehand or read simultaneously. All the more ...more
Veronica Lubkin
Feb 24, 2014 Veronica Lubkin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this little book. It is beautifully written and reading it makes you feel as if you are visiting this very appealing B&B without the disadvantage of having to share your bathroom!
Mar 17, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was only a dozen or so pages into this book when I was already wishing that the bed and breakfast, the valley it's in and all the valley's inhabitants were real. I want to go there!
Barbara
What a fun read! I even got a list of authors to check out from the "lists of ten books" various characters recommended. I don't think I'd want to spend winter parts of Canada after reading this.
Mrsgaskell
Jun 08, 2011 Mrsgaskell rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadiana, own, 9-star, reread
I decided to re-read this little gem while vacationing on Vancouver Island.

From my original notes:

This is a delightfully witty book about middle-aged twin brothers who run a bed and breakfast on an island off the coast of B.C. It deservedly won the Stephen Leacock Award for Humour. Sadly, the book is fictional, otherwise my reservation at the B&B would be made, and my books would be packed. These vignettes about the brothers, their gentle guests who come to read, and resident pets, Waffle th
Donna
Jan 10, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: Hector and Virgil are unmarried men who run a bed and breakfast on a Canadian island. The book alternates between notes from Hector or Virgil, and "Brief Lives," short stories culled from the B & B's guest book. Since they don't have a TV at the B&B, books and conversations between the guests at the inn play a large role in the story.

An easy, enjoyable read for the holidays. Each guest at the inn had a different reason for being there and a different story to tell.

This would
Melissa
Mar 08, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful bit of fun. I rarely laugh out loud when I'm reading, but several times I was afraid I would wake David up. Not a great work of literature, but a wonderful read!
  • Mollie Peer: or, The Underground Adventure of the Moosepath League
  • Our Lady of the Lost and Found: A Novel of Mary, Faith, and Friendship
  • Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw: Travels in Search of Canada
  • The Surrounded
  • Leaven of Malice (Salterton Trilogy, #2)
  • Love Among the Ruins
  • The Hockey Sweater
  • The Lost Garden
  • Such Is My Beloved
  • Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town
  • Stanley Park
  • Runaway Bride
  • Asesinato en el “Canadian Express”
  • Stories from the Vinyl Cafe (Vinyl Cafe, #1)
  • Rare Birds
  • A Good House
  • Changing Heaven
  • Swann
Bill was born and grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba on a quiet little street. He admits to being a shy kid, a quality that has carried over into his adulthood. With his two brothers and the neighborhood children, Bill would play hide and seek, red rover and tag. They got into the usual sorts of mischief: garden raids and snowball fights.

Bill has always taken comfort in reading. As a child his tastes w
More about Bill Richardson...

“Novels and gardens," she says. "I like to move from plot to plot.” 9 likes
“And so we became who we are: gentle and bookish and ever so slightly confused. It is not a bad way to be, when all is said and done.” 6 likes